Pelicans Report

Page 88 of 157 FirstFirst ... 38 78 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 98 138 ... LastLast
Results 2,176 to 2,200 of 3922

Thread: Pels Off season thread

Quote Originally Posted by Savvy_Bird View Post
    I appreciate you trying to make chicken salad out of chicken ********, but I couldn?t disagree more. That 21 mill contract for Lonzo is positive value. Even if he doesn?t get 1% better for the life of it. There is no reason we should not match it..
    Yeah, just totally disagree here. I've said since at least January that I wouldn't pay a cent more than $18m a year for Lonzo and that's true today. You don't pay $20m+ for complimentary wings unless they are elite and Lonzo is not.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by PelicanProf View Post
    If those are terms then I am happy with this deal! We have plenty of draft capital and as we can tell we need to build a winning team before we can land bigger free agents.
    Are you kidding? You don't give away 1st rounders just because you have "plenty of draft capital." We are quickly burning through that draft capital without adding any big time players.

Quote Originally Posted by PelicanNation View Post
    As someone else pointed out..Graham shoots a ton of 3pt so that will always hurt percentages especially if the player doesn't play in the paint like Graham..defensively I give you that because Ball is bigger and more physical. Lonzo did not avg more assist either they both avg the same amount per game. Both are talented playmakers and I think this is a classic case of you get what you pay for. Ball is a more complete player so we would have to pay him accordingly or lose out. Graham in his sophmore season is what I hope we see more of..and with the extra cap we can work on other areas of weakness also rather than spending a huge chunk for a player that probably wanted to go anyway.
    To me, this is key. To be honest, if a player doesn't WANT to be here, then I don't want him here, no matter his skills. If his head and heart aren't in it, he's not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Yeah, just totally disagree here. I've said since at least January that I wouldn't pay a cent more than $18m a year for Lonzo and that's true today. You don't pay $20m+ for complimentary wings unless they are elite and Lonzo is not.
    Something I rarely do...I agree!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    wait did we just give a 1st round pick for a FA? i mean its a good contract but that blows
    They probably would have matched considering his contract isn't that big. Also it's lottery protected.

If Pels make the playoffs next year though... they probably won't have a first round pick considering this trade as well as the Lakers pick being traded (top 10 protected)

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    To me, this is key. To be honest, if a player doesn't WANT to be here, then I don't want him here, no matter his skills. If his head and heart aren't in it, he's not worth it.
    For real. You can always match to force players who don't want to be here to stay. That can never go wrong.

Right, Eric Gordon?

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Are you kidding? You don't give away 1st rounders just because you have "plenty of draft capital." We are quickly burning through that draft capital without adding any big time players.
    This is the biggest negative in Griffin?s tenure thus far. He has literally given away 3 1st and 5 second round picks in last 2 years for the roster you see today, and 3 coaches in 3 years. Wow. Was Demps really that much worse? Griffin is just a better salesman with more personality. He is swindling Gayle Benson so far.
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 08-02-2021 at 09:32 PM.

See Eric Gordon

They seem to be pretty devvo losing Graham on the Hornets subreddit

I'll take that as a win

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    They seem to be pretty devvo losing Graham on the Hornets subreddit

I'll take that as a win
    He's a good player.

Good handles, really excellent shooting threat, good FT shooter, gets to the line at a solid rate, good on-ball playmaker and a better defender than some people seem to realise

pelicans have to negotiate better than this. A FRP for Graham, FRP for Adams, absolutely inexcusable. David Griffin still on that 2 1st round picks for Mozgov energy. Dare Charlotte to match him what the hell. They already have 2 better pgs and just drafted another guard lottery.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    pelicans have to negotiate better than this. A FRP for Graham, FRP for Adams, absolutely inexcusable. David Griffin still on that 2 1st round picks for Mozgov energy. Dare Charlotte to match him what the hell. They already have 2 better pgs and just drafted another guard lottery.
    I felt like he was on he way out too with Bouknight in. Griffin needs to learn how to read the room

No. And in fact, if you read the post, you would know that. But I'm at least 50% sure you're just trolling about it at this point.
    I can totally agree that you think your weak post explained away pretty much every measurable stat in the game but I can't agree that it did. There really isn't much point in arguing with a person who will claim Graham is a better 3pt shooter than Ball after Ball has shot better from behind the arc the past two seasons.....much less all the other meaningless things Zo is better at like driving to the rim, defense, steals, rebounds, assists, switching marks, and all. Because I guess those don't matter......
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Hall of Famer
    Graham had no other suitors did he?. Thats on Griffin to negotiate better

So... It looks like we going all in on offense and hopefully Zion and BI take some sort of leap defensively?

If Mirotic can walk through dem door to play back up 4. I'd be digging it, but our bench still looks like a black hole offensively.

Also, Zo said he wanted to be here. Zion said Zo wanted to be here. Griffin said Zo wanted to be here. I get that the theme of the night is "irrational night" but that claim Lonzo didn't want to be here doesn't stick.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    I can totally agree that you think your weak post explained away pretty much every measurable stat in the game but I can't agree that it did. There really isn't much point in arguing with a person who will claim Graham is a better 3pt shooter than Ball after Ball has shot better from behind the arc the past two seasons.....much less all the other meaningless things Zo is better at like driving to the rim, defense, steals, rebounds, assists, switching marks, and all.
    I honestly think you're just making stuff up now.

When did I claim Graham was a better 3pt shooter than Ball?! Also, I find it funny that you're annoyed that I would use a stat where Graham is only fractionally better than Lonzo, and then turn around and say that Lonzo has shot better than Graham both of the last two seasons, when in both of those two seasons, Lonzo has shot better by less than 0.5%. Or is using tiny tiny tiny degrees okay when you're the one doing it? Come on now.

Nobody dismissed all the other points. But to discuss them properly would require you to approach the conversation from a reasonable standpoint and you are not doing that. Instead you're jumping on misleading but superficially significant stuff like pointing at raw FG% and saying ''LOOK! LOOK! Graham is bad cause he shoots badly from the floor!'' without giving that statistic any of the extremely important and also very obvious context that completely changes how that looks.

Why is it worth pointing out to you that, for example, Graham actually posted a better RAPTOR and WAR rating last year than Lonzo did, as well as an identical EPM score (+2.1 for both of them), when you're still acting like raw, contextless FG% and simple counting stats are significant? Not worth the conversation.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Thats awful

Add in bad defense and not really a play maker

And you send a 1st out

Also, Zo said he wanted to be here. Zion said Zo wanted to be here. Griffin said Zo wanted to be here. I get that the theme of the night is "irrational night" but that claim Lonzo didn't want to be here doesn't stick.
    ''The claim that Lonzo didn't want to be here doesn't stick''

It took him less than 1 minute after free agency opened to sign a deal elsewhere Come on

He paid lip service to it months ago. But don't kid yourself, he didn't want to be here

I agree. We can’t have a repeat of Eric Gordon.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    a rather simple way of looking at it is that to get something you want at a lower price for you, you should expect to kick in more up front.... to get out of something you don't want at a higher price, you should expect less coming your way up front.... not saying the "wants" and "up fronts" will be agreeable to everyone, but that's the way things usually work with a S&T....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by Speakthetruth View Post
    Thats awful

Add in bad defense and not really a play maker

And you send a 1st out
    Devonte Graham (''not really a playmaker'') this year: 27%AST, 10%TOV
    Lonzo Ball (the next Magic Johnson) this year: 25%AST, 14%TOV

okay.

Devonte is also, I repeat, a much better defender than some people seem to think. 68th percentile in D-EPM this year, +0.2. For comparison, Lonzo was +0.7 this year, 77th percentile. Not a huge amount better.

''The claim that Lonzo didn't want to be here doesn't stick''

It took him less than 1 minute after free agency opened to sign a deal elsewhere Come on
    Money talks.

Thread Information