Pelicans Report

Page 87 of 157 FirstFirst ... 37 77 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 97 137 ... LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,175 of 3922

Thread: Pels Off season thread

Hall of Famer
    https://mobile.twitter.com/BillSimmo...76680501383168 who the hell is this. Is this zions agent?

We're still listening to Bill SImmons?

Come on people.
    Basketball.

So the pels have given away jrue holiday, Reddick, Adams, Bledsoe, and lonzo and a lotto pick and another 1st round picks in return for....

Graham, and Valanciunas, Murphy...

And with Jaxon Hayes stupidity, tell me how this team is better from an asset standpoint.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

So far the rookies are the only add ons that can play defense... it's like we are going all out on offense

Quote Originally Posted by PaKwAn View Post
    So far the rookies are the only add ons that can play defense... it's like we are going all out on offense
    Valanciunas is a perfectly fine drop defender.

Lineup thus far….

PG Graham/Lewis/Alvarado
    SG: NAW/Satoransky/Temple
    SF: Ingram/Marshall/Murphy III
    PF: Williamson/Jones
    C: Valanciunas/Hayes

We need big insurance and either a starting PG or 6th man depending on how we see Graham.

I like re-signing Hernangomez and one of Hart, Dinwiddie, or Reggie Jackson.

I am betting Dinwiddie goes to the Wizards as Westbrook’s replacement.

Can someone do a track of the picks we had prior to last Thursday compared to the picks we have now?

Right now I'm just waiting on the final pennies to drop.

What happens with Hart, what happens with the MLE?

If both of those moves are good-to-very-good, then I'm very happy with the offseason. If they're mediocre-to-bad then I'm decisively whelmed.

Quote Originally Posted by DaFranchise80 View Post
    Sign me up for THIS.
    same....

so this looks like our depth chart

PG Adams/Kira/Santo
    SG NAW/Didi
    SF BI/Hart/Naji/Temple
    PF Zion/Murphy
    C JV/Jax

i dont hate this, honestly but a Buddy Heild would make this even more dynamic!

Quote Originally Posted by PelicanNation View Post
    last year was a bad year for devante he was banged up and Lamelo took his job..Ball was healthy and was obviously playing his best ball..look beyond stats sometimes sir..compare there careers
    Graham has never shot 40% FG in any season. Not just last year.....but any season.

Maybe more is coming. But let's compare Ball to Graham and see how bad of a downgrade this is because it is in EVERY measurable category. First off, Lonzo is three years younger......BUT Graham was a late draftee so Lonzo ALSO brings more experience to the table. Lonzo has improved every season exponentially more than Graham has.

Lonzo has had a higher FG% every year Graham had been in the league.

Lonzo has a higher 3pt% the past two seasons

Lonzo averages more than double Graham's rebounds

Lonzo averaged more assists last season

Lonzo averages more steals

Lonzo averages more blocks

The defense. OMG. The defense. Graham is a 6'1" liability on defense. How many people is he switching on with those measurables compared to how many people we could switch Zo on?

I understand people saying the contract is better but there is no tangible, quantifiable argument against this being a downgrade in pretty much every category.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Hall of Famer
    I would have liked malik monk, but can't sign him now because of defensive issues

I guess bring back hart

Edit- isee hart is back
    Last edited by Speakthetruth; 08-02-2021 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    So the pels have given away jrue holiday, Reddick, Adams, Bledsoe, and lonzo and a lotto pick and another 1st round picks in return for....

Graham, and Valanciunas, Murphy...

And with Jaxon Hayes stupidity, tell me how this team is better from an asset standpoint.
    Still razor thin at big... Wish we could of gotten Portis. Weird he took a big discount.

I am hopeful that these Graham and Hart deals still have some gray to them where we can finesse some things into the margins, because if not…Griff is an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Graham has never shot 40% FG in any season. Not just last year.....but any season.
    Pointing out Graham's FG% without taking into account his shot profile automatically turns everything you're about to say about percentages into pointless noise.

TS% - which does factor in shot profiles - has Devonte at 55.2% this past season. Lonzo was at 55.1%

Acting like Lonzo is a decisively better scorer because he averages better efficiency at the rim - the rim which he gets to like twice a game and only in transition - while ignoring shot profiles is like, a fundamental misunderstanding of how scoring works. Devonte's FG% is basically identical to his 3PT% because he overwhelmingly shoots 3pt shots. That shouldn't be surprising to anyone. The actual return value on a Graham shot and a Lonzo shot, by comparison, is basically the same.

Quote Originally Posted by wnelson View Post
    same....

so this looks like our depth chart

PG Adams/Kira/Santo
    SG NAW/Didi
    SF BI/Hart/Naji/Temple
    PF Zion/Murphy
    C JV/Jax

i dont hate this, honestly but a Buddy Heild would make this even more dynamic!
    Adams point guard? Lol

Also, as pointed out by numerous people in this thread, constantly harping on about Lonzo's defense when he gets fried by literally any competent on-ball threat is boring and misleading.

In reality, Lonzo posted a +0.7 D-EPM this season. Graham posted a +0.2.

Both slight positives. Lonzo in the 77th percentile, Graham in the 68th. Neither is a lockdown defensive game changer.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    The only way they can get players is through draft or trades. So I just hope they get whichever players they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Speakthetruth View Post
    https://mobile.twitter.com/BillSimmo...76680501383168 who the hell is this. Is this zions agent?
    An Agent from the Canadian Automobile Association, obviously.

Also, must be a joke, because I've never seen someone mention a source's name.

Edit: Apparently it is a joke... here's an old Bill Simmons tweet referencing that name:

https://twitter.com/billsimmons/stat...63532645367809
    Last edited by bradael; 08-02-2021 at 09:25 PM.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Adams point guard? Lol
    lol

My question remains: what are we doing with Hart?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Pointing out Graham's FG% without taking into account his shot profile automatically turns everything you're about to say about percentages into pointless noise.

TS% - which does factor in shot profiles - has Devonte at 55.2% this past season. Lonzo was at 55.1%

Acting like Lonzo is a decisively better scorer because he averages better efficiency at the rim - the rim which he gets to like twice a game and only in transition - while ignoring shot profiles is like, a fundamental misunderstanding of how scoring works. Devonte's FG% is basically identical to his 3PT% because he overwhelmingly shoots 3pt shots. That shouldn't be surprising to anyone. The actual return value on a Graham shot and a Lonzo shot, by comparison, is basically the same.

Your argument to negate every single category that I just listed is that you found one measurable where Graham average a fraction of a percentage better.....?

Your defensive stats are irrelevant since Ball was constantly switched on the toughest opponents and Graham was having to be protected.

wait did we just give a 1st round pick for a FA? i mean its a good contract but that blows

Your argument to negate every single category that I just listed is that you found one measurable where Graham average a fraction of a percentage better.....?
    No. And in fact, if you read the post, you would know that. But I'm at least 50% sure you're just trolling about it at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Ball did not want to be here. Unless you wanted to pay $21m+ per year for someone who wanted to leave, you could not have done that.

Haven't the Pelicans done enough matching contracts for guys who don't want to be here for one franchise?
    I appreciate you trying to make chicken salad out of chicken ********, but I couldn?t disagree more. That 21 mill contract for Lonzo is positive value. Even if he doesn?t get 1% better for the life of it. There is no reason we should not match it.

He would have been a quality salary filler for a bigger trade in a few years at the very least.

Grif traded reddick at mid season at the risk of alienating potential free agents. It seems that move was done to avoid giving away an asset for nothing. But that?s exactly what he just did. I?ll wait to see how he uses the cap space, but I don?t see the vision at all.

Griff said at mid season that the only deals on the table were lonzo for a ham sandwich.

Well, 6 months later all he ended up with is a moldy ham sandwich.

Maybe more is coming. But let's compare Ball to Graham and see how bad of a downgrade this is because it is in EVERY measurable category. First off, Lonzo is three years younger......BUT Graham was a late draftee so Lonzo ALSO brings more experience to the table. Lonzo has improved every season exponentially more than Graham has.

Lonzo has had a higher FG% every year Graham had been in the league.

Lonzo has a higher 3pt% the past two seasons

Lonzo averages more than double Graham's rebounds

Lonzo averaged more assists last season

Lonzo averages more steals

Lonzo averages more blocks

The defense. OMG. The defense. Graham is a 6'1" liability on defense. How many people is he switching on with those measurables compared to how many people we could switch Zo on?

I understand people saying the contract is better but there is no tangible, quantifiable argument against this being a downgrade in pretty much every category.
    As someone else pointed out..Graham shoots a ton of 3pt so that will always hurt percentages especially if the player doesn't play in the paint like Graham..defensively I give you that because Ball is bigger and more physical. Lonzo did not avg more assist either they both avg the same amount per game. Both are talented playmakers and I think this is a classic case of you get what you pay for. Ball is a more complete player so we would have to pay him accordingly or lose out. Graham in his sophmore season is what I hope we see more of..and with the extra cap we can work on other areas of weakness also rather than spending a huge chunk for a player that probably wanted to go anyway.

Thread Information