Pelicans Report

Page 8 of 157 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 58 108 ... LastLast

Thread: Pels Off season thread

Thats who Griff is. Optimists project the best possible outcomes and then when they dont happen they write them off as a fluke or some extreme circumstance that they were disadvantaged by
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    What separates this situation with the Knicks? I'm tired of this "no training camp, a pandemic" excuse. 29 other teams went through the same thing. Thibs and SVG came in with a similar situation expressing defensive focus. Both had a young team, barely any training camp, and one greatly exceeded expectations and players bought in ranking#1 in defense the other team has its two best players throwing subliminal shots at not being a fan of the coach with some of the worst defense in the league.
    Funnily enough, our defense over the second half of the season was actually far better, well inside the top half of the league.

A lot of that came with Lonzo, Adams, and Hart missing a lot of time, and a lot of it also came against terrible teams, but it's still worth mentioning. I don't think Jax's improvements were a non-factor, and our defensive scheme changed a ton of times.

And also, this has to be repeated (again, for some reason): Thibs had a bunch of vets on this Knicks team that he has coached before at multiple stops. Plus, I do think the Knicks flat out have a more defensively talented roster than we do. I don't buy Bledsoe as a great defender, particularly not when he's not motivated, and Lonzo disappointed. We've all been over the issues with Ingram and Zion defensively this year. Adams was fine but not a needle mover.

Meanwhile, Barrett put in some good defensive improvement this year, Mitchell Robinson was very good until he got injured, Nerlens Noel has always been a solid rim protector and he had his career best season this year, and Reggie Bullock is solid.

That's not to excuse our defense, it definitely still should have been way better than it was for the majority of the year, but it's not like the Knicks have a defensively null roster or like nobody on the team had any knowledge of Thibs and his systems. The only player on the Pelicans who had ever played with SVG before was Redick and he was old, bad defensively anyway, and got traded.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Funnily enough, our defense over the second half of the season was actually far better, well inside the top half of the league.

A lot of that came with Lonzo, Adams, and Hart missing a lot of time, and a lot of it also came against terrible teams, but it's still worth mentioning. I don't think Jax's improvements were a non-factor, and our defensive scheme changed a ton of times.

And also, this has to be repeated (again, for some reason): Thibs had a bunch of vets on this Knicks team that he has coached before at multiple stops. Plus, I do think the Knicks flat out have a more defensively talented roster than we do. I don't buy Bledsoe as a great defender, particularly not when he's not motivated, and Lonzo disappointed. We've all been over the issues with Ingram and Zion defensively this year. Adams was fine but not a needle mover.

Meanwhile, Barrett put in some good defensive improvement this year, Mitchell Robinson was very good until he got injured, Nerlens Noel has always been a solid rim protector and he had his career best season this year, and Reggie Bullock is solid.

That's not to excuse our defense, it definitely still should have been way better than it was for the majority of the year, but it's not like the Knicks have a defensively null roster or like nobody on the team had any knowledge of Thibs and his systems. The only player on the Pelicans who had ever played with SVG before was Redick and he was old, bad defensively anyway, and got traded.
    Antonio Daniels mentioned something along these lines when I had a conversation with him on Twitter. You are both in agreement that the majority of Thibs’ success can be attributed to him bringing in his guys at every one of his stops. AD also mentioned that they buy into Thibs’ philosophy because they have fought in the trenches with him in the postseason. He’s proven himself to them even though his tenures have ended with him getting fired.
    Last edited by DaFranchise80; 05-19-2021 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Thats who Griff is. Optimists project the best possible outcomes and then when they dont happen they write them off as a fluke or some extreme circumstance that they were disadvantaged by
    How long do you think SVG will remain HC if we continue to underperform?

How long will Griff make excuses for him?

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post

I?ll answer that for you, if we don?t make the playoffs next year, he?s gone. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post

Its been one year. And in Griff's mind, it was already starting to turn around before injuries took the play in away from them.

Again, you guys are forgetting Griff's goals when hiring SVG. It wasnt to win as many games as possible. It was to lay the groundwork and teach the young guys fundamentals and hold them accountable. Which SVG is doing and will do more this offseason. SVG is a stepping stone coach. He is the guy who calls out their BS, makes them earn minutes and touches, has film sessions with the top guys on the regular and points out their mistakes. Then, when those guys have evolved and dont need someone to do that because they do it to themselves and their teammates, SVG is gone and a top tactician is in

Its been one year. And in Griff's mind, it was already starting to turn around before injuries took the play in away from them.

Again, you guys are forgetting Griff's goals when hiring SVG. It wasnt to win as many games as possible. It was to lay the groundwork and teach the young guys fundamentals and hold them accountable. Which SVG is doing and will do more this offseason. SVG is a stepping stone coach. He is the guy who calls out their BS, makes them earn minutes and touches, has film sessions with the top guys on the regular and points out their mistakes. Then, when those guys have evolved and dont need someone to do that because they do it to themselves and their teammates, SVG is gone and a top tactician is in
    And how long do you think until that happens?

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    MM has mentioned numerous times that SVG will probably coach through the duration of his contract. He won’t be extended. I think some fans are nervous that he may burn bridges with our star players and that’s understandable. But we’ll just have to wait and see if this even comes to fruition. This will be the first full normal offseason for SVG. He at least deserves some time to fully implement his system like previous Pels coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by DaFranchise80 View Post
    MM has mentioned numerous times that SVG will probably coach through the duration of his contract. He won’t be extended. I think some fans are nervous that he may burn bridges with our star players and that’s understandable. But we’ll just have to wait and see if this even comes to fruition. This will be the first full normal offseason for SVG. He at least deserves some time to fully implement his system like previous Pels coaches.
    There is no real information whatsoever on whether SVG will or won't be extended...when that time comes.

For Zion....less than 2 years. For Ingram....might take a lot longer. To me, the question isnt: How long until Griff gets rid of SVG, its how long until he gets off of Ingram and gets Zion a #2 who is an alpha. A dog.

For Zion....less than 2 years. For Ingram....might take a lot longer. To me, the question isnt: How long until Griff gets rid of SVG, its how long until he gets off of Ingram and gets Zion a #2 who is an alpha. A dog.
    Do you think there’s anyway we could get Tatum without giving up Zion? I know it’s unlikely but would Ingram and 2 firsts do it? Or what do you think it would take?

Also, would you swap Ingram straight up for Brown?

That may have been his plan when he hired him. However, Griff seems to be questioning his own timeline. He seems to regret the Adams trade when he talks about putting the team in a bad position to improve being so close to the tax after the offseason moves. He also seems to question his own plan with regards to shooting and how that needs to get fixed soon. Could his time table be accelerating?

Do you think there’s anyway we could get Tatum without giving up Zion? I know it’s unlikely but would Ingram and 2 firsts do it? Or what do you think it would take?

Also, would you swap Ingram straight up for Brown?
    We arent getting Tatum. And would I do Ingram for Brown? In an instant, but Boston wouldnt.

I dont think Ingram is going anywhere any time soon, but I think by February of 2023 Griff will be considering it heavily. And at that point it will just come down to what guys are available. Hard to predict. I wouldnt have predicted 18 months before the Spurs traded him that Kawhi would be available. And who knows - maybe SVG breaks through to Ingram and Griff gives him a little more space and he becomes more efficient offensively and better defensively. I just am not betting on it

Before this goes off the rails, as happens often here. Put this table together for folks to get their senses back.

Keep in mind Ingram put up these relative offensive numbers while playing on arguably the least experienced and least talented roster of anyone in this group.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2021-05-20 104232.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	6575
    Last edited by luckyman; 05-20-2021 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    There is no real information whatsoever on whether SVG will or won't be extended...when that time comes.
    Mr real information.... Duncan and Hollinger talked on todays pod about how there is a lot of talk around the league about Zion being unhappy

But I am sure they arent credible either because they were wrong at some point in the past. Or the people in the league are all just saying it as a conspiracy to get Zion out.

I already know you will find ways to dismiss them. And then the next person who spills what many of us know. And the next guy. To which i keep asking: What is your criteria? Does it have to come direct from.Zions mouth or its a lie? Genuinely want you to answer that clearly and succinctly, but I know you wont

Before this goes off the rails, as happens often here. Put this table together for folks to get their senses back.

Keep in mind Ingram put up these relative offensive numbers while playing on arguably the least experienced and least talented roster of anyone in this group.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2021-05-20 104232.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	6575
    Offensively I think in a couple years he can be as good as anyone in the league, it’s his defense which is starting to bother me.

1. Maybe he can get better
    2. Maybe we can try him at SG and bring in a SF
    3. It was hard to hide him on D this year because Lonzo was usually guarding the other teams PG and Bledsoe wasn’t gonna guard the SF so if we brought in a good wing defender it would be easier to hide him on D.

Mr real information.... Duncan and Hollinger talked on todays pod about how there is a lot of talk around the league about Zion being unhappy

But I am sure they arent credible either because they were wrong at some point in the past. Or the people in the league are all just saying it as a conspiracy to get Zion out.

I already know you will find ways to dismiss them. And then the next person who spills what many of us know. And the next guy. To which i keep asking: What is your criteria? Does it have to come direct from.Zions mouth or its a lie? Genuinely want you to answer that clearly and succinctly, but I know you wont
    Do we know what he is unhappy about? Is it SVGs coaching style? His teammates? Not winning more games? Not making the playoffs?

Do we know what he is unhappy about? Is it SVGs coaching style? His teammates? Not winning more games? Not making the playoffs?
    The faultiness of the logic is again, as I've said before, an attack on Zion's character.

He just finished what was essentially his 1st year in this league. He has massive craters in his game, especially on defense, he needs to address and get better at. He knows this. Who is this 20 year old to be sulking around mad at an entire organization like he's some proven 7 year vet?

Again, I seriously doubt he is doing ANY of this in the first place. It's illogical. It's attacks his character.

Secondly, I'd need the Duncan (who is this??) and Hollinger's transcript or the video to see the context of what they said.

Lastly, let's say any of this nonsense is true. What does 20 year old Zion, sulking today, have to do with where this team might be by the time he can start to demand his way out YEARS from now? What kind of crystal ball is that?

This is a franchise with multiple draft picks, the full MLE, BAE and about $4 mil in trade exception money at their disposal to keep improving this roster. The only long-term contract on the books is Ingram. Surely Zion is smart enough to know this is far from a finished product.

Either we believe this nonsense and therefore believe Zion is this entitled, bratty little child. Or dismiss it for what it is. But rumorville will always have a fanclub.
    Last edited by luckyman; 05-20-2021 at 11:25 AM.

I do, yes. And have posted before. But mr. Lucky wont allow it on his message board

The faultiness of the logic is again, as I've said before, an attack on Zion's character.

He just finished what was essentially his 1st year in this league. He has massive craters in his game, especially on defense, he needs to address and get better at. He knows this. Who is this 20 year old to be sulking around mad at an entire organization like he's some proven 7 year vet?

Again, I seriously doubt he is doing ANY of this in the first place. It's illogical. It's attacks his character.

Secondly, I'd need the Duncan (who is this??) and Hollinger's transcript or the video to see the context of what they said.

Lastly, let's say any of this nonsense is true. What does 20 year old Zion, sulking today, have to do with where this team might be by the time he can start to demand his way out YEARS from now? What kind of crystal ball is that?

This is a franchise with multiple draft picks, the full MLE, BAE and about $4 mil in trade exception money at their disposal to keep improving this roster. The only long-term contract on the books is Ingram. Surely Zion is smart enough to know this is far from a finished product.

Either we believe this nonsense and therefore believe Zion is this entitled, bratty little child. Or dismiss it for what it is. But rumorville will always have a fanclub.
    You call it nonsense multiple times...before examining. Do you see how your bias wont allow you to access truth? You cant start with a viewpoint and then go.listen to the pod. Your reasoning will aim in the direction that you want to conclude.

And thats fine for you to be a fan and have bias...i wont stop you. But dont call those of us liars who want to discuss the gray and dont fool ourselves into believing all is great

You have one person posting rumors that barely have a smidge of truth to them, which is what actual fans do. Especially on fan forums. Rumorville/TMZ central.

Then the other person trying to keep things in the very boring world of reality, is being called a "fan" by this very "fan acting" person.

Hilarious.

Per usual....you are the hero in your own mind. I tried to be civil and ask a.direct question. - giving you a chance to lay out a criteria. You chose, per usual to avoid it. So i will stop. I will just ignore you and i suggest everyone else should as well

Sam Amick hinting at issues too....but he probably isnt credible either. Nobody is according to Mr Lucky

At the end of the day, this is a make or break offseason for Griffin. Let’s focus there.

Sam Amick hinting at issues too....but he probably isnt credible either. Nobody is according to Mr Lucky

Thread Information