Pelicans Report

Page 78 of 157 FirstFirst ... 28 68 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 88 128 ... LastLast
Results 1,926 to 1,950 of 3922

Thread: Pels Off season thread

Quote Originally Posted by Lee2000 View Post
    The idea of flexibility is the only decent thing in all of this. But at the moment the team is falling flat on meeting the real needs of the team.
    Well sure, but we're barely an hour into free agency. People are acting like it's Day 4 of FA and everything's dried up and we're done.

If the team doesn't do anything else in the next 12 to 24 hours, then the anger and complaints will make some sense. For now, cool the jets people.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    It's kind 'a funny when you think about it. Most in here were content to let Lonzo walk for nothing if the number was anything north of 18MM. Now the same people are saying that Chicago got the better of the deal when the Pelicans didn't come away empty handed.

Can someone reconcile this for me?
    I was cool with the idea of giving Ball $21 million a year. My thought process is, who else are we going to give it to? Who’s trying to come here? If push came to shove Ball would have still been a trade-able asset in the future. Now if the $15 million in easily moveable contracts nets us a big player in a trade soon I’ll stand corrected, but as of right now moving off of an ascending PG in the hopes we could get Lowry’s old ****** or any major FA for that matter is just wishful thinking.
    "Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it."
    - el-Hajj Malik el-Shabazz

and we still may pull a PG and a starting sg in the coming days/weeks

Satoransky: 2021-22 partially guaranteed for $5MM.
    Temple isn't even under contract?

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    Nah, it didn't keep Lonzo from shooting.
    Well thankfully, one shoots 38% from deep, the other 33%

I understand that, but the end results are they got some quality. I really doesn't matter what I think. If you are a Pelican on the roster do you see your team any closer to the playoffs. Ball probably should have stayed.
    Not knowing what other moves, if any, are yet to play out, I think they are closer to the playoffs. Though I don't think they're significantly better than last year as is so far.

Not considering any improvements from Zion, Ingram, NAW, Lewis, or Hayes, it's still + JV, Temple, Satoransky, & Murphy and - Lonzo, Adams, Bledsoe, (and Hart?). JV alone should make the team much better. IMO, he was the main reason Memphis was in the playoff hunt all last year. (Just checked, he even had the highest win share there by a mile each of the last two years)

I only worry about fit considering he has a higher usage rate than Adams while Ingram and Zion have huge usage rates already.
    Last edited by bradael; 08-02-2021 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    If it's not being offered, you can't trade for it. Again, we had no real leverage here.
    I respect your knowledge and you have reserved yourself to this as reality but surely you know this is likely to be disappointing to Zion and Ingram.

I respect your knowledge and you have reserved yourself to this as reality but surely you know this is likely to be disappointing to Zion and Ingram.
    I don't care what either of them think 70 minutes into free agency.

Quote Originally Posted by bradael View Post
    They didn't even make the play-in last year with Lonzo. If whatever moves Griffin makes the rest of this offseason and throughout next year doesn't get the team into the playoffs, then yeah I'd be incredibly disappointed if I was Zion. I'd be personally disappointed if they aren't a top 6 seed.
    The talent gap is just too wide unless we pull off a Superstar trade. We are at best a play in team, healthy. Wasted the last two years and never acquired elite young talent will do that to you.

I am guessing that there has to be a bigger trade brewing. Lillard (least likely), Beal, Brogdon?

Quote Originally Posted by PelicanNation View Post
    Trash pieces..better off letting him walk ..Lonzo will prevail with the Bulls just like most players do when they leave here.
    The "trash pieces" can also be used in other trades, now or down the line. Adams and Bledsoe were flipped for JV for example.

What is evident is finances played a huge factor in todays events with Pelicans. They wanted roster flexibility. They did not want to pay Alonzo. Something in return was better than nothing, and with apologizes to the guys coming in, that is pretty much what they got. NBA network panel was kind of left speechless and that group included former coaches, players and front office guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    That's such an absurd way to think.

''If you're not going to give us Zach LaVine, we'd rather have nothing!''

...No thanks, I'll take the $15m of tradeable assets and expiring contracts.
    What's absurd is trading for all these assets and for what? What are we doing ...rebuilding or trying to win a ring? we are somewhere in the middle and looks like the FO is making moves just to make it seem like they know what they're doing when they have no clue what direction this team is going. Every star talent runs away from here unless they are getting massively overpaid or forced here via trade/draft . The FO trades away valuable picks for cash ..thats absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    I am guessing that there has to be a bigger trade brewing. Lillard, Beal, Brogdon…

All of this still left to deal with.

What happens with Fournier? Powell? Hart? How do we spend our MLE? Do we expand the Memphis trade?

Utah brought back Conley, are they still trying to shed Ingles or Bogdanovic as earlier reported - do we get in on that?

Do we move Satoransky along further as an expiring?

All of this still to come out. Lots of stuff to wait on.

So far the best think about this off season is addition via subtraction in terms of losing guys they acquired the year before. What is funny is they had to essentially give up a first round pick for that too.

Quote Originally Posted by PelicanNation View Post
    What's absurd is trading for all these assets and for what? What are we doing ...rebuilding or trying to win a ring? we are somewhere in the middle and looks like the FO is making moves just to make it seem like they know what they're doing when they have no clue what direction this team is going. Every star talent runs away from here unless they are getting massively overpaid or forced here via trade/draft . The FO trades away valuable picks for cash ..thats absurd.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    The talent gap is just too wide unless we pull off a Superstar trade. We are at best a play in team, healthy. Wasted the last two years and never acquired elite young talent will do that to you.
    Dallas was the 5 seed with just Luka and a YMCA team. Portland was the 6 seed with Lillard and a roster not a whole lot better than Dallas. If Zion and Ingram are who we assume they are, then the rest of the roster is good enough with those 2 as is to be a top 6 seed.

I still hope, and expect, additional moves to be made though to complement them.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    I still think this team as a whole is quite a bit better than last year. Addition by subtraction when it comes to getting rid of Bled and Adams, we brought in Jonas and Murphy who will help plenty and then you would have the natural improvement of BI and Zion. I think Tomas is still a positive and will provide some playmaking and size to our guard situation. We also still have some decent coin left over which if we do grab a Fournier or Dinwiddie I think this team will make the playoffs barring any catastrophic injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    I am guessing that there has to be a bigger trade brewing. Lillard (least likely), Beal, Brogdon?
    We traded away all of our trade bait to land one of these guys without giving up BI… Can’t see it happening

if we land a healthy spencer dinwiddie we are instantly a playoff team

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Hm. Mac suggested we send out Sato to Sacto bring back Buddo and add Harriso.

Acceptibo.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Hm. Mac suggested we send out Sato to Sacto bring back Buddo and add Harriso.

Acceptibo.
    Yeah that'd be cool.

Thread Information