Pelicans Report

Page 54 of 157 FirstFirst ... 4 44 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 64 104 154 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 3922

Thread: Pels Off season thread

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Brogdon, but not by much.

Lowry 2021 season wasn't that great. His defense has fallen off big time and we don't have the support to hide him. He was washed on defense and couldn't keep anyone in front of him. He missed a lot of time. I honestly don't trust a 35 year old to be healthy or that effective outside of his scoring,passing,and him drawing charge fouls. Lowry works on a 1 year deal. Anything else more than that is a bad contract. When Griffin preached about sustainability... Lowry is a terrible FA acquisition with that philosophy.
    I'm very worried about Brogdon's health. More so than I am with Lowry. There was a number of reports when Brogdon came out of college that his body had about a 6 or 7 year NBA lifespan. That's why he fell to the 2nd round even though he was an extremely productive college player.

Lowry was held of a number of games last season to support the tank, but prior to last year Lowry had played more games than Brogdon in each of the prior 3 seasons.

The key for me, though, is what else can you get outside of Brogdon. That's where I would probably swing to the Brogdon side.

Lowry 2021 season wasn't that great. His defense has fallen off big time and we don't have the support to hide him. He was washed on defense and couldn't keep anyone in front of him. He missed a lot of time. I honestly don't trust a 35 year old to be healthy or that effective outside of his scoring,passing,and him drawing charge fouls. Lowry works on a 1 year deal. Anything else more than that is a bad contract. When Griffin preached about sustainability... Lowry is a terrible FA acquisition with that philosophy.
    To me Lowry feels like a good stopgap, but we could do better if we are in a hurry to compete. Agree that we shouldn’t look for him longterm and I think we should look for a deal that gives us flexibility if things go awry. 1 year preferable

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    I just don't want to be disappointed when I see the Woj report and it says Brogdon and Lamb instead of Brogdon and Warren lol. I still like the idea of Brogdon and Lamb alot
    I think you are thinking of Bubble Warren, not the TJ Warren he has been his whole career. Heck, injury considered, I could see Justin Holiday being more valuable than Warren next year. In fact, give me Holiday and Lamb over Warren because now I got 17 mil in expirings instead of 12 to use for a trade in Feb
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I think you are thinking of Bubble Warren, not the TJ Warren he has been his whole career. Heck, injury considered, I could see Justin Holiday being more valuable than Warren next year. In fact, give me Holiday and Lamb over Warren because now I got 17 mil in expirings instead of 12 to use for a trade in Feb
    Warren averaged 20 ppg on 54-40-82 shooting throughout the 2019-2020 season. Are we sure that bubble Warren wasn't just TJ Warren on a larger stage? Phoenix was the worst team in basketball while he was there. When he went to an actual system in Indy, he performed at an extremely high level.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    Am I wrong to think that we won?t be able to roll sign and trade into Memphis deal because of draft picks? Obviously we can?t sign and trade until Lonzo becomes a FA. I realize we will pick for Memphis and vice versa. If there?s no complication with tying a sign and trade with the Memphis deal, that opens up all kinds of possibilities.
    The Memphis trade will not be finalized until Aug 6 (new league year), so technically, Lonzo will be a FA then. The draft picks are between Memphis and New Orleans and that part has already been agreed upon.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Warren averaged 20 ppg on 54-40-82 shooting throughout the 2019-2020 season. Are we sure that bubble Warren wasn't just TJ Warren on a larger stage? Phoenix was the worst team in basketball while he was there. When he went to an actual system in Indy, he performed at an extremely high level.
    Maybe he is. He also had a major injury and is extremely disgruntled. Remember, there are very few teams that can just take him off their hands without giving salary back - which is their goal. So, long story short, I think we can have him if we want in the deal. Maybe you gotta give up the 2022 Cleveland pick to get him over Holiday or Lamb, but point remains.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    The Memphis trade will not be finalized until Aug 6 (new league year), so technically, Lonzo will be a FA then. The draft picks are between Memphis and New Orleans and that part has already been agreed upon.
    And it might not be until after that, honestly. Remember how the Pels-Lakers trade dragged on a few extra days because of complexities? Long story short, this is an easy thing to work in. Nothing complex at all. Fairly regular

I feel the same... signing a 35 year old to a 30+ mil multi-year contract is a mistake. (If reports are correct) Griff is signing Lowry to bring leadership. I don't know what the price tag is for leadership, but I doubt Lowry would have the same impact as CP on the floor.

I think Lowry is washed but maybe he has some left in the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    To me Lowry feels like a good stopgap, but we could do better if we are in a hurry to compete. Agree that we shouldn’t look for him longterm and I think we should look for a deal that gives us flexibility if things go awry. 1 year preferable
    He is (a stopgap). Word is they love his leadership, and they would bring in Lowry for a couple/few years while Kyra develops. I still don't think he's worth more than a 1-yr deal... I'd do THAT. But 3 years at 30 mil/per ain't cool.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    I feel the same... signing a 35 year old to a 30+ mil multi-year contract is a mistake. (If reports are correct) Griff is signing Lowry to bring leadership. I don't know what the price tag is for leadership, but I doubt Lowry would have the same impact as CP on the floor.

I think Lowry is washed but maybe he has some left in the tank.
    I think it's weird to declare Lowry washed when he averaged 17/5/7 on 60%TS and, in a season where Toronto didn't play a *single* home game, still posted an EPM that would have been 3rd on the Pels last year.

It was a pretty terrible year for Toronto circumstantially, and yeah Lowry had some injuries, so it was a slight down year but it's not like he was actually bad. He was still very good! Better than any guard on our team last year, by a wide margin.
    Basketball.

He is (a stopgap). Word is they love his leadership, and they would bring in Lowry for a couple/few years while Kyra develops. I still don't think he's worth more than a 1-yr deal... I'd do THAT. But 3 years at 30 mil/per ain't cool.
    A sign and trade has to be for minimum 3 years, so don't hold your breath on a 1 yr deal (setting aside the fact that other teams would offer more so why would he accept just 1 yr).

Hall of Famer
    Hoop Central
    @TheHoopCentral

Report: Lakers, Mavs, and Pelicans are showing interest in Landry Shamet, via
    @IanBegley

A younger reddick

Griff is like oh-fer-5 on “bringing in leadership” via high-priced vets, so I’m pretty well done with that concept. Build that culture from within like Memphis.

I love Lowry and Brogdon but on balance I’d prefer Brogdon especially if we can get Warren attached. We’d have to break the bank to lure Lowry here and as a small guard in his mid-30s his drop off could be sudden.

Quote Originally Posted by Speakthetruth View Post
    Hoop Central
    @TheHoopCentral

@IanBegley

A younger reddick
    He can defend.

Quote Originally Posted by Speakthetruth View Post
    Hoop Central
    @TheHoopCentral

@IanBegley

A younger reddick
    Is he available for trade?

He can defend.
    Ehhh, mixed thoughts on that. He can defend more than Redick at this point in his career, sure, but in the absolute sense he's not a very good defender the majority of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Ehhh, mixed thoughts on that. He can defend more than Redick at this point in his career, sure, but in the absolute sense he's not a very good defender the majority of the time.
    That's what I meant.

Shamet is a woeful defender

What is even happening

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post

What is even happening
    I think he was like, the 430th best defender in the NBA according to D-EPM last year. Which is, yes, better than Redick - but not by much! And is still bad!

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post

What is even happening
    David Whiffin making moves...

I have no idea why Droopy was making a correlation between Shamet and good D

Shamet is nothing but a streaky shooter. Basically a vet min guy

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    David Whiffin making moves...
    He hasn’t even made the bad move yet. Let the ink dry at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    He hasn’t even made the bad move yet. Let the ink dry at least.
    We're all on edge knowing it's likely coming...

With the draft tomorrow I feel like something is going to get confirmed in the next 36 hours or so.

If we move the pick, then it's preferable you get that organised ready to announce either before the draft, or during it, so that the team you're trading it to gets to make the selection. Picks always become less valuable once you've made them because now the recipient team has no control over it.

On the other hand, if we don't move the pick and we acquire a rookie it will be interesting to see who we take. Does someone slide down to us (Springer? Garuba? Kispert?), or do we end up taking (what I believe to be the incorrect) route of drafting someone like Duarte on the assumption that they will contribute sooner?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    With the draft tomorrow I feel like something is going to get confirmed in the next 36 hours or so.

If we move the pick, then it's preferable you get that organised ready to announce either before the draft, or during it, so that the team you're trading it to gets to make the selection. Picks always become less valuable once you've made them because now the recipient team has no control over it.

On the other hand, if we don't move the pick and we acquire a rookie it will be interesting to see who we take. Does someone slide down to us (Springer? Garuba? Kispert?), or do we end up taking (what I believe to be the incorrect) route of drafting someone like Duarte on the assumption that they will contribute sooner?
    Could also have an agreement in place contingent on a specific player being available at our pick (more likely in a trade down scenario).

Thread Information