Pelicans Report

Page 53 of 157 FirstFirst ... 3 43 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 63 103 153 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 3922

Thread: Pels Off season thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    I agree but the GM has been given the green light by Mrs. Benson to go over the cap if needed. If we go over the cap this year, we can most likely get under it for loading off our multiple picks for a sign and trade with SGA and Lowry next year. We may have to eventually trade Olynyk or Forbes but we still keep most of the core in tact.

I like Hart and will not be mad if we sign him. Just think Marshall can provide what he does unless we strike out at guard depth.

SGA and NAW are cousins. They will want to play together. Only a matter of time. Better us getting SGA with NAW right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Going over the cap is not the same thing as going into luxury tax

Pels Off season thread

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Going over the cap is not the same thing as going into luxury tax
    Well the way Griffin has phrased it, it seems luxury tax. Maybe i?m wrong but i don?t see any other tax that would get you over the top. Hard cap wouldn?t make much sense. He would basically have a year of luxury tax to fill his team outside of his core in 2022 of SGA, NAW, Ingram, Zion, and Hayes.

Expensive tryouts but worth it. Doesn?t Golden State operate like that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sleeper; 07-28-2021 at 12:20 AM.

Can someone explain to me what would be the point of operating as a cap space team, apart from saving Gayle money?

We've been an over the cap team for as long as I can remember, why wouldn't we be this year?

Can someone explain to me what would be the point of operating as a cap space team, apart from saving Gayle money?

We've been an over the cap team for as long as I can remember, why wouldn't we be this year?
    I dont think you understand what we are talking about at all when we talk about "operating as..."

But it has nothing to do with finishing over the cap vs under it. Would take a lot of words to explain but to be brief: ome is not being cheap while the other is spending money..it has to do with the mechanics
    @mcnamara247

Easiest way to do a Lonzo for Brogdon sign and trade would be to roll it into the Memphis trade. Take back Warren too so we help them with lux tax

Lonzo out, Brogdon and Warren in. Added to Memphis trade, its legal and allows to be an over the cap team where we still have Harts bird rights and the MLE. Use MLE on Alec Burks and without even considering who we draft we have this squad

Brogdon/Kira
    NAW/Burks/Didi
    Ingram/Hart/Naji
    Zion/Warren
    Jonas/Hayes

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    Am I wrong to think that we won’t be able to roll sign and trade into Memphis deal because of draft picks? Obviously we can’t sign and trade until Lonzo becomes a FA. I realize we will pick for Memphis and vice versa. If there’s no complication with tying a sign and trade with the Memphis deal, that opens up all kinds of possibilities.

It will be really easy to roll anything into the Memphis trade and I would bet Griff made it part of the agreement, just like we agreed to allow Lakers to roll stuff into AD trade as they worked that offseason

Would you guys rather Lowery or Brogdon? Money and age all considered.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I dont think you understand what we are talking about at all when we talk about "operating as..."

But it has nothing to do with finishing over the cap vs under it. Would take a lot of words to explain but to be brief: ome is not being cheap while the other is spending money..it has to do with the mechanics
    The only exception you get as a cap room team is the room exception right?

I like Lowery at pg And brogdan at sg

LOWRY

L-O-W-R-Y

LOWRY

L.....O.......W.........R..........Y

THERE IS NO E in LOWRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only exception you get as a cap room team is the room exception right?
    Correct. Which is smaller and less years. For so many reasons, the Pelicans should act like an above the cap team this offseason. In order to do that with Lowry, they need Toronto to sign and trade him to us and put him in this Memphis deal. Which means you might have to compensate Toronto slightly, but that is worth it to me if we can stay above the cap

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    This is tough. I would need to know who else I am getting with that money savings. In my example it was TJ Warren and I'd rather Warren and Brogdon than Lowry. I also dont want Lowry if I have to give up Hart's bird rights.

Again, it all comes down to the mechanics of the moves and other teams willingness to work with us. But assuming all sides are willing to work with us, the Lonzo going to Indy and Brogdon plus Warren or Lamb coming here is my preferred route

The Lowe Post from yesterday leads me to believe there’s a number of teams in the Lonzo race that have not been mentioned or hypothesized about. Some suitors that could be interesting are the Mavs, Denver, Portland, GS, and Memphis, all of which Lonzo could really thrive in an off ball role and not have to carry as much of a ball handling load as he does here.

The more I think about it, the more angry I get with SVG last year and his insistence on playing Bledsoe large minutes over NAW. If we knew what we had in NAW and it was good, Lonzo would make more sense here. If your ball handling hierarchy is Zion, BI, NAW, Lonzo, then I think Zo is a really nice fit on this team. It is just hard to go into next season with the expectation of winning relying so much on NAW to carry that load.

This is tough. I would need to know who else I am getting with that money savings. In my example it was TJ Warren and I'd rather Warren and Brogdon than Lowry. I also dont want Lowry if I have to give up Hart's bird rights.

Again, it all comes down to the mechanics of the moves and other teams willingness to work with us. But assuming all sides are willing to work with us, the Lonzo going to Indy and Brogdon plus Warren or Lamb coming here is my preferred route
    I think Lamb would be more likely. I’d imagine Indy would not want to sell so low on Warren who is one year removed from a pretty incredible season scoring. That is unless of course the Warren foot injury is more serious than I envision.

I would be almost as excited for a healthy Warren on this team as I would be for Brogdon. An elite corner 3 point shooter who is devastating attacking close outs and a quick decision maker on the catch. Perfect fit in between Zion and BI

Correct. Which is smaller and less years. For so many reasons, the Pelicans should act like an above the cap team this offseason. In order to do that with Lowry, they need Toronto to sign and trade him to us and put him in this Memphis deal. Which means you might have to compensate Toronto slightly, but that is worth it to me if we can stay above the cap
    So clearing all that salary wasn't so we could operate as a cap space team, it's to be able to use as much salary as possible without going into tax
    Last edited by AusPel; 07-28-2021 at 08:52 AM.

So clearing all that salary wasn't so we could operate as a cap space team, it's to be able to use as much salary as possible without going into tax
    We didnt clear cap space. You will see how it plays out. The Memphis trade will get bigger. We wont have "cap space" this summer, I am betting

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    I think Lamb would be more likely. I’d imagine Indy would not want to sell so low on Warren who is one year removed from a pretty incredible season scoring. That is unless of course the Warren foot injury is more serious than I envision.

I would be almost as excited for a healthy Warren on this team as I would be for Brogdon. An elite corner 3 point shooter who is devastating attacking close outs and a quick decision maker on the catch. Perfect fit in between Zion and BI
    Has nothing to do with Warren. They are wanting to get as far away from the tax as possible so they can re-sign McDermott. Dumping Warren helps them do that. So basically, they are trading Brogdon and Warren for Lonzo and McDermott here

LOWRY

L-O-W-R-Y

LOWRY

L.....O.......W.........R..........Y

THERE IS NO E in LOWRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    He's one of the few Lowerys that spell it Lowry.

Fair point. I wonder if Lonzo would be willing to do a sign/trade to Indy. I guess it doesn't matter if they're willing to give him the money that he wants.

He's one of the few Lowerys that spell it Lowry.
    And I get that but the guy has been around forever. You have all seen his name dozens of times by now -- like JJ Redick. We gotta spell these name right!!! Lol

Has nothing to do with Warren. They are wanting to get as far away from the tax as possible so they can re-sign McDermott. Dumping Warren helps them do that. So basically, they are trading Brogdon and Warren for Lonzo and McDermott here
    Right but there's other directions they could go. I'd guess they would rather Warren over Lamb and the Holidays. They're also trying to move Turner.

I just don't want to be disappointed when I see the Woj report and it says Brogdon and Lamb instead of Brogdon and Warren lol. I still like the idea of Brogdon and Lamb alot

Brogdon, but not by much.

Lowry 2021 season wasn't that great. His defense has fallen off big time and we don't have the support to hide him. He was washed on defense and couldn't keep anyone in front of him. He missed a lot of time. I honestly don't trust a 35 year old to be healthy or that effective outside of his scoring,passing,and him drawing charge fouls. Lowry works on a 1 year deal. Anything else more than that is a bad contract. When Griffin preached about sustainability... Lowry is a terrible FA acquisition with that philosophy.
    Last edited by Taker597; 07-28-2021 at 09:32 AM.

Thread Information