Pelicans Report

Page 48 of 157 FirstFirst ... 38 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 58 98 148 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 3922

Thread: Pels Off season thread

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I keep seeing people on Twitter talk about us having to attach #10 to Bledsoe to ''get off his contract'' and I can't understand that line of thinking whatsoever.

Bledsoe is fundamentally a medium-large expiring deal. He only have $4m guaranteed for 2022-23. Why on God's green Earth would you have to attach a lottery pick to shed that contract? Surely some second rounders or a future first from the Lakers or Bucks would do it, if any picks were needed at all.

Obviously that changes if Bledsoe is just salary in a deal to acquire a legitimately good player, where the #10 is playing more of the value role instead of just compensating for a negative, but that's a very different picture to us ''getting off his contract''.
    Those people are reacting to a poor recap of what Woj said on a recent pod. The recap tweet left out the part where Woj said something good would come back to the Pels

They are not using 10 to dump him. Theyare attaching him to 10 and something of quality will come back. Or they will just move 10 w/o Bledsoe and move Bled at another time
    @mcnamara247

Hall of Famer
    NBA Central
    @TheNBACentral
    ?
    32m
    The Pelicans have 'generated traction' with the Grizzlies in a deal that would send the 10th pick and Eric Bledsoe to Memphis for the Grizzlies' 17th pick, per
    @JakeLFischer

Quote Originally Posted by Speakthetruth View Post
    NBA Central
    @TheNBACentral
    ?
    32m
    The Pelicans have 'generated traction' with the Grizzlies in a deal that would send the 10th pick and Eric Bledsoe to Memphis for the Grizzlies' 17th pick, per
    @JakeLFischer
    Meh. I guess this is ok if we are opening up room for Lowry.

Quote Originally Posted by Speakthetruth View Post
    NBA Central
    @TheNBACentral
    ?
    32m
    @JakeLFischer
    So we are moving the 10th pick and a partially guaranteed player to move back 7 picks? There obviously has to be more to this, or else this is just ******** poor management.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    So we are moving the 10th pick and a partially guaranteed player to move back 7 picks? There obviously has to be more to this, or else this is just ******** poor management.
    Lmao relax. 10 through 17 in this draft is not a huge difference. Contract isn?t partially guaranteed until 2022 anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    I'm pretty sure that last year the Pelicans re-signed Kenrich Williams, Frank Jackson, Zylan Cheatam, and Josh Gray and packaged them together to complete the Steven Adams trade.

Your point is well taken about GS's interest in this particular trade, but do they want four players to tie up almost 140MM in payroll?

Curry: 45.8MM
    Thompson: 38.0MM
    Green: 24.0MM
    Wiggins: 31.6MM

I believe somebody will deal with Golden State.
    Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Watch the next shoe to drop will be Adams and 17 for a Lowry sign and trade, 3 years $75 million.

Quote Originally Posted by iNolaNightmare View Post
    Lmao relax. 10 through 17 in this draft is not a huge difference. Contract isn?t partially guaranteed until 2022 anyway.
    Yeah that's not the point.

Asset management is asset management. Making smart moves that are careful on the margins is important, especially when you're trying to take that step up towards contendership. Small mistakes you've made in the past can come back to haunt you.

Now, I'm not saying this mistake would haunt us, but it's just bad practice. There's an argument - whether you personally think it's a strong one or not is besides the point - that due to his expiring contract, the presence of his Bird Rights, and his history of play that Bledsoe may even be a mild positive asset for a good team (one where he'd be motivated to play hard, that is). Taking a step down in the draft to dump someone who is arguably an asset is poor asset management, whatever else may also be true.

And that's regardless of whether you think there's a real step down between 10 and 17 in this draft, which I think there could be depending on a few variable guys whose names float around a bit.
    Basketball.

The Kings, who hold the No. 9 pick in Thursday’s draft, may be the highest option for teams hoping to trade into the lottery. Sacramento and the Pelicans, who have the 10th selection, have been active in trade talks involving those picks, sources tell Fischer, as both teams are looking for veterans who will give them a better chance to make the playoffs next season. New Orleans, which is hoping to unload Eric Bledsoe‘s salary, has talked to the Grizzlies about a deal that would send the veteran guard and the lottery pick to Memphis in exchange for the 17th choice....Arthur Hill

Why? If this is true, I'm appalled...... "Here, we'll let you move up seven picks in the draft, Memphis and you can have Bledsoe, too". In other words, "Kick Me!!!"

Rookie
    10 to 17 in ANY draft is a huge difference.

The Kings, who hold the No. 9 pick in Thursday’s draft, may be the highest option for teams hoping to trade into the lottery. Sacramento and the Pelicans, who have the 10th selection, have been active in trade talks involving those picks, sources tell Fischer, as both teams are looking for veterans who will give them a better chance to make the playoffs next season. New Orleans, which is hoping to unload Eric Bledsoe‘s salary, has talked to the Grizzlies about a deal that would send the veteran guard and the lottery pick to Memphis in exchange for the 17th choice....Arthur Hill

Why? If this is true, I'm appalled...... "Here, we'll let you move up seven picks in the draft, Memphis and you can have Bledsoe, too". In other words, "Kick Me!!!"
    Have Bledsoe too? The idea is to get off of Bledsoe. He is not an asset. Having said that, 10 to 17 is a pretty steep draft that would normally cost teams a good bit to move up.

An aside...

Evan Fournier and Rudy Gobert lead the French past 'Pop's Pansies', 83-76. Jrue Holiday led the American Team with 18/7/4 off the bench.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by socbe7 View Post
    10 to 17 in ANY draft is a huge difference.
    Something else has to be coming too? Bledsoe and the 10th out. Tyus Jones in? Valanciunas?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Yeah that's not the point.

Asset management is asset management. Making smart moves that are careful on the margins is important, especially when you're trying to take that step up towards contendership. Small mistakes you've made in the past can come back to haunt you.

Now, I'm not saying this mistake would haunt us, but it's just bad practice. There's an argument - whether you personally think it's a strong one or not is besides the point - that due to his expiring contract, the presence of his Bird Rights, and his history of play that Bledsoe may even be a mild positive asset for a good team (one where he'd be motivated to play hard, that is). Taking a step down in the draft to dump someone who is arguably an asset is poor asset management, whatever else may also be true.

And that's regardless of whether you think there's a real step down between 10 and 17 in this draft, which I think there could be depending on a few variable guys whose names float around a bit.
    Like of all the draft assets we obtained when acquiring Bledsoe?

Yes, asset management and the fringes are important. One moment you have a war chest to send Christopher Columbus across the ocean to the new world, the next your on the corner begging for change to cross the street and get a Subway sandwich.

The point is, there has to be a second move dependent on that first move happening, or else Griff is just wizzing away assets we accumulated in the AD/Jrue trades. Don’t wizz away those assets or all you are left with is your wang in your hand and stories of what could have been if you had planned things better.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Have Bledsoe too? The idea is to get off of Bledsoe. He is not an asset.
    He is an asset; he has a value. Might not be to this team, but make no mistake, he has a value.

Remember, one man's trash is another man's treasure. (See Solomon Hill)
    Last edited by As I See It; 07-25-2021 at 01:30 PM.

So we get rid of Bledsoe which is nice, but I'm not too crazy about going that far down.

Cleaning his mess with more mess

Memphis better be sending something else back with the 17th pick. I don't care if a second move is contingent on the first, if that first move sucks. 10 and Bledsoe for 17, in a vacuum, is terrible management from the FO.

He is an asset; he has a value. Might not be to this team, but make no mistake, he has a value.

Remember, one man's trash is another man's treasure. (See Solomon Hill)
    Dude. We had to use an asset to dump Hill. Bledsoe is not an asset. Woj said himself he is not viewed as an asset.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Something else has to be coming too? Bledsoe and the 10th out. Tyus Jones in? Valanciunas?
    the teams picking 13, 14, 16 (and 18), and 19 (and 21) all have interest in moving up to 10 too. Griff is gonna get value for trading down

Dude. We had to use an asset to dump Hill. Bledsoe is not an asset. Woj said himself he is not viewed as an asset.
    Dude. You're wrong. Does he have a positive value? The answer is a resounding yes. Might not be the value you like; but he has a value.

And by the way, I don't want him on my team either.

I'd keep Bledsoe on the bench for a year and then eat the 3MM buyout rather than being suckered into this silly trade. If I'm trading 10, it will be for something of like or better value.
    Last edited by As I See It; 07-25-2021 at 02:29 PM.

Dude. You're wrong. Does he have a positive value? The answer is a resounding yes. Might not be the value you like; but he has a value.

And by the way, I don't want him on my team either.
    What is your definition of 'positive value'?

Because by the standard definition, I dont think anybody on earth (including the 30 GMs) would agree

Easiest way to determine a guys value (positive or negative) is to look at his current contract and ask if he would get the same, more, or less on the open market.

If Bledsoe was a FA this offseason, he might get some offers in the 2/10-12 range. Maybe.

He will make 18 mil next season, and basically have 3 mil in dead money after that. Basically, making him a 1 yr/21 mil contract. That would make him a negative asset, by almost any definition. Adams, similarly is a slight negative asset, as there is no universe where he could get 2/35 this offseason

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    What is your definition of 'positive value'?

Because by the standard definition, I dont think anybody on earth (including the 30 GMs) would agree
    He wouldn't be in the NBA if someone (Milwaukee) didn't value him in the first place. Most act like he's garbage; I disagree. He's a malcontent with an attitude that never wanted to be here. Get rid of him, but as filler or some other means. I'm not tying a lottery pick to him to get rid of his behind with a negative return coming back to us. That would be compounding a negative.
    Last edited by As I See It; 07-25-2021 at 02:38 PM.

Thread Information