Pelicans Report

Page 47 of 157 FirstFirst ... 37 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 57 97 147 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 3922

Thread: Pels Off season thread

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    To be fair, his teammates are pretty trash except for Garland.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    To be fair, his teammates are pretty trash except for Garland.
    Not really the point, I don't think. Watching Cavs games is painful because Sexton dominates the ball so much yet misses so many wide open opportunities. When Garland is on ball the team immediately looks better despite having the same lacklustre personnel because despite being younger and having less experience prior to the NBA, he's already become a significantly better creator for others who is far more willing as a passer. Sexton either has painfully poor vision, or is unwilling to trust a team offense over himself at this point in his career.

Combine that with the fact that he is defensively appalling (Sexton ranked 425th in the league in D-EPM this year and 238th in D-Raptor) and that he's due big money at the end of this year, I wouldn't want to acquire him.
    Basketball.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Not really the point, I don't think. Watching Cavs games is painful because Sexton dominates the ball so much yet misses so many wide open opportunities. When Garland is on ball the team immediately looks better despite having the same lacklustre personnel because despite being younger and having less experience prior to the NBA, he's already become a significantly better creator for others who is far more willing as a passer. Sexton either has painfully poor vision, or is unwilling to trust a team offense over himself at this point in his career.

Combine that with the fact that he is defensively appalling (Sexton ranked 425th in the league in D-EPM this year and 238th in D-Raptor) and that he's due big money at the end of this year, I wouldn't want to acquire him.
    you obviously have stats etc. on your side, but I would still like to see about him doing what it takes to fit in here.... just my opinion though....perhaps I am way off base ....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Sexton is a case of someone gotta show out on a bad teams..

The Franchise
    Bradley Beal could want out per Bleacher Report. Doubt we could get him but maybe we can get in a three way with Boston and get Jalen Brown. Brown is Good on offense and Defense, young and on a decent contract.

The defense is more troubling to me than the offense. Flank him with Zion and Ingram and I have a hard time imagining he’s an unwilling passer. Maybe he is. Who knows. But we gotta make it harder fir teams to get to the rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    The defense is more troubling to me than the offense. Flank him with Zion and Ingram and I have a hard time imagining he’s an unwilling passer. Maybe he is. Who knows. But we gotta make it harder fir teams to get to the rack.
    I think there's a conversation to be had about whether it's an unwilling passer or an incapable passer. It could be that he's perfectly willing to make passes but just has poor feel as a passer, or poor vision that means he misses a lot of passers other players would hit.

Definitely agree though. Perimeter defense is a big priority for this team going forward; it's why I'd be so happy to get someone like OG Anunoby if they came up. I know it's unlikely Toronto would move him (why would they?) but if he ever did go up for sale I'd be a big fan. Similarly why I'm positive about a Lowry move, potentially: he still plays defense and he still puts the effort in, and it's effective.

Anybody willing to admit they have watched fewer than 5 Sexton NBA games in their life? Or, are we going to pretend that we watched him play, when in reality all the assertions about his game are coming purely from stats?
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Anybody willing to admit they have watched fewer than 5 Sexton NBA games in their life? Or, are we going to pretend that we watched him play, when in reality all the assertions about his game are coming purely from stats?
    LOL I thought the exact same thing. Most probably had no idea he even existed until this offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    LOL I thought the exact same thing. Most probably had no idea he even existed until this offseason.
    I am sure many knew him because he played in the SEC and was a top 10 pick. But I know people havent watched him since he came into the league. They look at the stats and then have this strong opinion one way or the other.

And yes, he does put up big stats on a bad team, but he had no choice but to be on a bad team. I'd rather he put up good stats than bad ones. Have we already forgotten that Devin Booker used to be called a good stats/bad team guy? Perhaps the leagues worst defender. That was 2, 3 years ago.

All these general statements as people become experts without watching because they have access to stats

I am sure many knew him because he played in the SEC and was a top 10 pick. But I know people havent watched him since he came into the league. They look at the stats and then have this strong opinion one way or the other.

And yes, he does put up big stats on a bad team, but he had no choice but to be on a bad team. I'd rather he put up good stats than bad ones. Have we already forgotten that Devin Booker used to be called a good stats/bad team guy? Perhaps the leagues worst defender. That was 2, 3 years ago.

All these general statements as people become experts without watching because they have access to stats
    Sexton is someone I would take a chance on if he also allows us to maintain much of our future assets. Any idea if Griffin has any serious interest?

All I’ve got on him is the Alabama games back LSU. Briefly thought he was on the Pistons a few weeks back.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Sexton is someone I would take a chance on if he also allows us to maintain much of our future assets. Any idea if Griffin has any serious interest?
    What is "serious interest?"

He has interest in a ton of guys. But not all are available. And of the ones that are, the asking prices right now are a little high. Everyone wants to buy. Anybody even considering selling is posturing that they wont sell and if they do, it will cost more than most want to spend. The teams that bring their asking prices down will make trades but right now, costs are stupid

Seller’s market all around. Houses. Cars. NBA players. Billionaire rockets.

I just saw another one of those videos of Steven Adams shooting threes and honestly, I know it won't happen, but if he came into the season as a stretch big all of a sudden I would be unable to contain my laughter. It's just such a silly concept and I love it.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 07-24-2021 at 06:31 PM.

Some people watch a lot of basketball *shrug* not sure what else to tell you.

Hell, even if you only ever watch Pelicans games and nothing else (in which case, I'm sorry for your suffering) you see Sexton play at least a few times a year
    Yeah, and I am sure during those games, the Pelicans fan is intently watching him and scouting him.

I know its the internet and here there is a pressure to have a take. You cant possibly say "I dont know" -- but I admire the people who do when they genuinely dont

Yeah, and I am sure during those games, the Pelicans fan is intently watching him and scouting him.

I know its the internet and here there is a pressure to have a take. You cant possibly say "I dont know" -- but I admire the people who do when they genuinely dont
    Nah, there's plenty of stuff I don't know. For example, I have very little clue on what's going on in Orlando or Detroit, and I only have a passing knowledge of the Wolves at this point as well. I just feel comfortable in my familiarity with Sexton enough to have a few opinions.

I also feel like the Cavs are slightly different in terms of public attention compared to most losing teams without megastars, because I feel like they're still in the news a lot due, in part, to Kevin Love's ongoing drama there. So maybe some people watch them more than you might expect just to find out what's going on. That's purely speculation on my part though.

Nah, there's plenty of stuff I don't know. For example, I have very little clue on what's going on in Orlando or Detroit, and I only have a passing knowledge of the Wolves at this point as well. I just feel comfortable in my familiarity with Sexton enough to have a few opinions.
    And how confident are you that other people in this thread who have an opinion of Sexton have watched him? Because, keep in mind, I never directed my comment towards you specifically

What is "serious interest?"

He has interest in a ton of guys. But not all are available. And of the ones that are, the asking prices right now are a little high. Everyone wants to buy. Anybody even considering selling is posturing that they wont sell and if they do, it will cost more than most want to spend. The teams that bring their asking prices down will make trades but right now, costs are stupid
    I had seen reports that he was very "gettable" so assumed he could be a realistic target. Are you saying that the asking price is currently too high?

The idea that the Pels are going to give up assets to get off of bad assets that they took in through the AD and Jrue trades is more an indictment on just how ********ty a GM Griff is. I mean, make it make sense.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Wont pretend to know anything but anecdotes about Sexton. But I will say the Cavs making him available tells me everything I need to know. If they believed he was worth a max contract he wouldn't even be on the market, regardless of fit.

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    Bradley Beal could want out per Bleacher Report. Doubt we could get him but maybe we can get in a three way with Boston and get Jalen Brown. Brown is Good on offense and Defense, young and on a decent contract.
    March 17th, 1947. It was a crisp spring day. Some clouds in the sky. Birds could be seen flying lazily over Lake Pontchartrain. Ted Weems and his Orchestra could be heard on radios across America and it was the last known date that Bradley Beal did not want off of the Washington Wizards.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    The idea that the Pels are going to give up assets to get off of bad assets that they took in through the AD and Jrue trades is more an indictment on just how ********ty a GM Griff is. I mean, make it make sense.
    I keep seeing people on Twitter talk about us having to attach #10 to Bledsoe to ''get off his contract'' and I can't understand that line of thinking whatsoever.

Bledsoe is fundamentally a medium-large expiring deal. He only have $4m guaranteed for 2022-23. Why on God's green Earth would you have to attach a lottery pick to shed that contract? Surely some second rounders or a future first from the Lakers or Bucks would do it, if any picks were needed at all.

Obviously that changes if Bledsoe is just salary in a deal to acquire a legitimately good player, where the #10 is playing more of the value role instead of just compensating for a negative, but that's a very different picture to us ''getting off his contract''.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I hear people being surprised that Adams is working on his outside shooting. It's basketball, everyone in the league should be working on their shooting. If the asst. coaches are as good as I hear, and they did great with Lonzo, all of them should be good to great shooters. I think that regardless who they get at the 10th pick, they can teach them to shoot.

Thread Information