Pelicans Report

Page 46 of 157 FirstFirst ... 36 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 56 96 146 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 3922

Thread: Pels Off season thread

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I like Huerter. I wanted him at the deadline in a Lonzo deal. I'd be happy with him as your 6th-7th man. He's not the guy I'm going after though. More like a fall back option if you miss out on starting caliber players.

I think it's important to note that I think NAW is locked in as your starting 2 this year, which is why I wouldn't necessarily be thrilled about prioritizing Huerter.
    Well sure, he's not my dream acquisition or anything, nor is he my number one target. You don't pass up on a better player for Huerter, or orient your teambuilding in his direction, or spent 5 picks on him. I'm just talking about guys who might be potentially gettable that could be good folks to have on the team. Like you said, Huerter playing 25 minutes as your 6th or 7th guy is really good. I want us to be good, so I want good players going as deep as we can get them.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Well sure, he's not my dream acquisition or anything, nor is he my number one target. You don't pass up on a better player for Huerter, or orient your teambuilding in his direction, or spent 5 picks on him. I'm just talking about guys who might be potentially gettable that could be good folks to have on the team. Like you said, Huerter playing 25 minutes as your 6th or 7th guy is really good. I want us to be good, so I want good players going as deep as we can get them.
    Absolutely on board with that. If you come out of the offseason with Lowry, Huerter, and Bojan without giving up too much in terms of future assets, that's similar to the Hawks offseason last year and could catapult you into the top half of the Western Conference.

I know our history, but as a fan hope renews eternally (I hope)

Griffin is pushing and the coach is listening to playing our young core more. I'm really interested to see what Kira and NAW can bring with more playtime, both in minutes and consistency
    Our new coach will probably be the best we've had at relating to and motivating players
    Videos of Adams working on his outside shot this summer. I don't know if it will actually amount to everything but if he can stop clogging the paint on offense then a 1-2 punch with him and Hayes gets real interesting.
    We seem fine with not overpaying Lonzo. I wish he became more consistent and we could get a good valued contract with him but I am glad we are not throwing away cap space and flexibility to make the AD trade look better.
    It seems like the organization has heard the wake up call.
    Bledsoe has some value as an essentially expiring contract and at the very least will not be on the floor much if at all for us. His attitude and approach in most games was becoming infectious. Just him not being there for 30minutes plus will be an improvement and could be enough to get into the playoffs.

Last season felt like a long slow motion train wreck and wasted year. It does look like management sees and acknowledges the main issues and are working at making things better.

This is what a true professional does to get better...

3 hours ago – via William Guillory @ The Athletic

Another thing to keep an eye on: Adams has been working a lot this offseason on his 3-point shot. I’m not saying he’s going to become Brook Lopez all of a sudden, but I’ve been told he’s serious about adding an outside shot to his arsenal with the hope that it’ll extend his career.

One source told me he’s been in the gym this summer, working out three times a day to be more consistent with his outside stroke. When asked how Adams has looked in these workouts, the source exclaimed, “He’s been shooting the snot out of the ball!” 3 hours ago – via William Guillory @ The Athletic

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    This is what a true professional does to get better...

3 hours ago – via William Guillory @ The Athletic

Another thing to keep an eye on: Adams has been working a lot this offseason on his 3-point shot. I’m not saying he’s going to become Brook Lopez all of a sudden, but I’ve been told he’s serious about adding an outside shot to his arsenal with the hope that it’ll extend his career.

One source told me he’s been in the gym this summer, working out three times a day to be more consistent with his outside stroke. When asked how Adams has looked in these workouts, the source exclaimed, “He’s been shooting the snot out of the ball!” 3 hours ago – via William Guillory @ The Athletic
    Fred should prob get w/ him. Maybe he wants to stay w/ us and knows that's what it takes.

I think Adams wasn't happy with his play last year so he's really trying to get better

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    I think Adams wasn't happy with his play last year so he's really trying to get better
    I kind of feel bad for Adams, because a month into the season... He was doing pretty solid. I think after that 20 Reb game against the Bucks late January... He just fell off a cliff from that low leg injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    I kind of feel bad for Adams, because a month into the season... He was doing pretty solid. I think after that 20 Reb game against the Bucks late January... He just fell off a cliff from that low leg injury.
    For real. He started and closed the season well but there was a pretty significant stretch in the middle where he was visibly injured and the fanbase was largely unsympathetic to it.

I really liked Adams for the system. I haven't even begun to look into Green or what he might run, here. Who even knows. We think he'll take elements of GS and the Suns over but he might have his own plan. Adams working out the 3 makes him a lot more versatile, though.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar

MOVE...OVER...STEPH!!!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    LOVE the do-over also lolz.

Adams doesn’t have to be a three point shooter just get real good from 18 feet-in and make his free throws at about a 73% clip. That’s all he needs.

He needs to learn how to shoot FTs before worrying about hitting open 3 pointers in practice. That way he would not be completely unplayable late in games.

Cameron Payne did a pretty decent job coming off bench in place of CP. Does he follow Willie here in free agency?

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Cameron Payne did a pretty decent job coming off bench in place of CP. Does he follow Willie here in free agency?
    It's crazy how if you had said that about Cam 3 or 4 years ago, it would have sounded like a sarcastic joke but today in 2021 it's a fair question. Cam Payne really turned his career around in the last 18 months or so. He went from being basically out of the league, to playing good playoff minutes for a team that reached the Finals.

It's crazy how if you had said that about Cam 3 or 4 years ago, it would have sounded like a sarcastic joke but today in 2021 it's a fair question. Cam Payne really turned his career around in the last 18 months or so. He went from being basically out of the league, to playing good playoff minutes for a team that reached the Finals.
    True story... I live in Frisco, TX and I took my son to see the Texas Legends (Mavericks G League team) play... their stadium is 10 mins from my house. This was pre-covid, of course. Cam Payne played for them and when I saw him I was like wow... a Cam Payne sighting. I hadn't seen nor heard form him in a couple years.

He was out there with the G Leaguers and he was terrible. Couldn't shoot. Turning the ball over. Making terrible transition decisions.

I don't think Monty picked him up based on his G League play, but shout out to Cam Payne for making the most out of his opportunity. After watching him in Frisco there's no way I'd believe he would have the run that he's had this season.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    True story... I live in Frisco, TX and I took my son to see the Texas Legends (Mavericks G League team) play... their stadium is 10 mins from my house. This was pre-covid, of course. Cam Payne played for them and when I saw him I was like wow... a Cam Payne sighting. I hadn't seen nor heard form him in a couple years.

He was out there with the G Leaguers and he was terrible. Couldn't shoot. Turning the ball over. Making terrible transition decisions.

I don't think Monty picked him up based on his G League play, but shout out to Cam Payne for making the most out of his opportunity. After watching him in Frisco there's no way I'd believe he would have the run that he's had this season.
    I'm in Frisco as well. He with a few others use to get a quick run at 24hr on preston. I went to game he scored 43 in, no one on iowa could stop him.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by superstar7th View Post
    I'm in Frisco as well. He with a few others use to get a quick run at 24hr on preston. I went to game he scored 43 in, no one on iowa could stop him.
    Dang he went off.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Maybe a silly path to head down, but what was Toronto’s defense like with Lowery and VanVleet on the court together? Point being, can two “short” guards co-exist together in today’s NBA?
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    Maybe a silly path to head down, but what was Toronto’s defense like with Lowery and VanVleet on the court together? Point being, can two “short” guards co-exist together in today’s NBA?
    Agreed!! (See Portland Trailblazers)

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Agreed!! (See Portland Trailblazers)
    Thanks for the prompt response! I still might sound like an idiot, but personally I might go after both Lowery and Sexton....

They were good together! Both of them have very positive on/off stats, and their two man combination raised the team's STL% by about 3.5% when on the floor. In fact, despite being a bad team overall, the Raptors had weirdly solid stats as a team this year in general: 15th in DRtg overall despite - as you say - playing two very small guards all the time.

What's the difference between a team like Toronto and a team like Portland, who also play two small guards together?

Well, one is the supporting cast. Toronto has surrounded their small guards with Chris Boucher, Pascal Siakam, OG Anunoby, and so on. Defense is a team thing, and you can afford one or two small guys if your team overall is good defensively: Portland doesn't have that. We, right now, also do not have that.

But most significantly, both VanVleet and Lowry are very good defenders who play hard on that end, play physically, and have very good feel. By contrast, both CJ and Lillard can't be bothered on the defensive end about 85% of the time, and whenever they do try they look kind of lost. Part of that lost-ness is, I think, because they don't do it very often: defense can be sort of ''use it or lose it'' and they never use it so it's... gone.

They were good together! Both of them have very positive on/off stats, and their two man combination raised the team's STL% by about 3.5% when on the floor. In fact, despite being a bad team overall, the Raptors had weirdly solid stats as a team this year in general: 15th in DRtg overall despite - as you say - playing two very small guards all the time.

What's the difference between a team like Toronto and a team like Portland, who also play two small guards together?

Well, one is the supporting cast. Toronto has surrounded their small guards with Chris Boucher, Pascal Siakam, OG Anunoby, and so on. Defense is a team thing, and you can afford one or two small guys if your team overall is good defensively: Portland doesn't have that. We, right now, also do not have that.

But most significantly, both VanVleet and Lowry are very good defenders who play hard on that end, play physically, and have very good feel. By contrast, both CJ and Lillard can't be bothered on the defensive end about 85% of the time, and whenever they do try they look kind of lost. Part of that lost-ness is, I think, because they don't do it very often: defense can be sort of ''use it or lose it'' and they never use it so it's... gone.
    thanks for this! very well done as usual.... I like Lowry alot, but he is getting a little long in the tooth....personally, I very much enjoy watching Sexton play too....if they could hold their own defensively, please sign me up....

thanks for this! very well done as usual.... I like Lowry alot, but he is getting a little long in the tooth....personally, I very much enjoy watching Sexton play too....if they could hold their own defensively, please sign me up....
    Sexton is kind of a different matter, he's pretty dreadful on D. The positive with him, at least theoretically, is that he's young and could improve (he's 22, hasn't improved much on D in his first 3 seasons, and wasn't great on D in college either so I don't hold out too much hope, but still) but I'm not really sure how much I buy that.

Sexton's an odd situation. If you just look at his slashline of 48/37/82, that's obviously very positive. Managed to get just above league average TS%. Took a step up as a passer this year.

But overall, I can't get myself excited about him. This is his fourth year so he's due a big payday and he's extremely poor on defense, is a below average finisher at the rim, and despite his back-ups not being too good his on/off numbers are terrible (-1.9 this year: other team's ORtgs are +4.5 per 100 better with Sexton on the floor), and while the passing was better this year than in the past, it's still not great. He doesn't turn it over that much but he misses so many passes that are just obvious. When those rumours came out earlier this year that other teams would trash talk Cavs players about how Sexton never passes them the ball, I wasn't surprised.

From this article: https://theathletic.com/2560840/2021...than-it-looks/

Various Cavs players still grow frustrated by the way Sexton dominates the ball, and opponents taunt them by saying during games, “you know he’s not going to pass you the ball.”
    Yikes

Thread Information