Pelicans Report

Page 42 of 157 FirstFirst ... 32 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 52 92 142 ... LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 3922

Thread: Pels Off season thread

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    They were trading with OKC, who were - notably - accepting salary ballast and picks and had basically zero interest in actually retaining CP3. They wanted him out of there and wanted picks for it. I don't think the situation is quite the same with Toronto who, by all reports, would largely be fine with keeping Lowry and who aren't currently in the process of amassing history's largest pick hoard.

Most good, realistic trades end up making fans of both teams feel slightly ripped off. Your proposed deal would be daylight robbery on the behalf of the Pels. ''Here, take a player we don't want whatsoever, plus a second round pick, plus a pick that could well be like #26, for your 6 time all-star two way franchise player.''

Honestly, this seems like a Danny Ainge type position to have. ''I won't make any deal, the maximum I would consider is me totally robbing you.'' That''s the mentality that results in not actually getting anything done because you refuse to actually give up anything of value.
    How often do teams get a huge load for a player in a S&T? What did the Celtics get for Hayward? Most teams are lucky to get a large TPE. In this scenario, Toronto would get a 1st for taking on Bledsoe effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Why would Miami be dying to keep an injured Oladipo or an overpaid Dragic (who has a team option btw)

Heat have more than 40 mil in cap room by just letting Dragic and Iggy go and renouncing rights to an injured Oladipo. Can sign Lowry and another decent player, then re-sign Robinson, whose cap hold is really low. Lets say they add Batum and Blake with the rest of their FA money and just go all out on vets to try and win. Could have a top 9 of

Lowry-Butler-Robinson-Batum-Bam

Herro-Blake-Nunn-Precious

Good combination of vets and youth, plus you know they will find/develop some other guys like KZ Okpala . I would consider Miami the overwhelming favorite in the Lowry sweepstakes. Followed by NY, then the Pels
    I don't mean to sound so skeptical, but that would be an interesting way to use cap space for a team with no 1sts until 2024 and who cant trade a 1st round pick until 2025. You have a nice core in place right now with Jimmy-Bam. You're one of the top FA destinations in the NBA. Why would you lock yourself into Lowry-Jimmy-Bam at cap when you will absolutely have the opportunity to either sign a superstar into space in 2022 or trade for one using Herro, Achiuwa, Okpala this season.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    How often do teams get a huge load for a player in a S&T? What did the Celtics get for Hayward? Most teams are lucky to get a large TPE. In this scenario, Toronto would get a 1st for taking on Bledsoe effectively.
    Bledsoe is a negative asset. If we want to move him, we have to give them something for taking him on.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    I don't mean to sound so skeptical, but that would be an interesting way to use cap space for a team with no 1sts until 2024 and who cant trade a 1st round pick until 2025. You have a nice core in place right now with Jimmy-Bam. You're one of the top FA destinations in the NBA. Why would you lock yourself into Lowry-Jimmy-Bam at cap when you will absolutely have the opportunity to either sign a superstar into space in 2022 or trade for one using Herro, Achiuwa, Okpala this season.
    I see the Heat as more of Lowry's camp raising the offer sheet than I do an actual destination. I understood Lowry as a trade target for the Heat midseason because they were trying to make a playoff run, and he was an expiring contract. It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me unless he's willing to be a piece in a trade for a superstar at some point this season or next, or he is taking a one year deal to go there.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    Bledsoe is a negative asset. If we want to move him, we have to give them something for taking him on.
    And they would be getting a 1st, a 2nd and a TPE in that scenario. I would not send #10, Hayes, etc for him.

And they would be getting a 1st, a 2nd and a TPE in that scenario. I would not send #10, Hayes, etc for him.
    They're not sending Hayes. If you read the BR article on Green, it's clear that Kira, NAW, and Hayes are going nowhere this offseason

They're not sending Hayes. If you read the BR article on Green, it's clear that Kira, NAW, and Hayes are going nowhere this offseason
    Link?

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    More that Griffin highly covets them. If we have a shot at Lillard, Beal, or KAT, I bet he’d part with at least two of them with great remorse.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    More that Griffin highly covets them. If we have a shot at Lillard, Beal, or KAT, I bet he’d part with at least two of them with great remorse.
    Well yes of course. I guess I should've clarified

Yeah I agree with this. If Portland is willing to send Dame over, or the Wolves decide to give up on the KAT experiment, and they say ''hey, New Orleans, you can have him if . . . '' I promise NAW is not going to kill that deal dead.
    Basketball.

Nice read. Thanks

Good article and i?m glad we finally have some insight into Griffin?s plans. Doesn?t mean they still won?t get moved but he envisions that our starting 5 are already on our roster. Sounds to me like we will go after a veteran PG and SG on a short term contract to groom Lewis and NAW.

Lowry sounds like a good target now. CP3 of course would be ideal but i read he would be able to get a much better contract extension with the Suns due to the 38 year old contract clause. Also would like to think he is tired of moving to different teams and he has such chemistry with Monty( although i know he likes Green a lot as well).

What other veteran guards would be good targets to come in on a two year contract to groom NAW and Lewis? Conley?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Interesting to see that other front offices are delegating rotations and minutes to coaches? Did I interpret that correctly? Are any good teams doing that?

Interesting to see that other front offices are delegating rotations and minutes to coaches? Did I interpret that correctly? Are any good teams doing that?
    Well we aren't a good team. We're a team that is trying to develop our young players so that we can either grow into a good team or trade for a superstar who will make us a good team. It's impossible to do so when your head coach is playing a disinterested Eric Bledsoe over NAW. I think when Griff traded for Bled, he envisioned him starting until he was overtaken by either NAW or Kira. NAW clearly played well enough to take the spot, and SVG for whatever reason would not make the move.

We needed a head coach that could both manage in game while also understanding the value of player development. SVG couldn't accomplish the latter (not sure he did the former either) so we let him go. It's that simple. The only way this team can get out of the hole that it's been in since CP left is through internal development. The coach has to understand that as well.

If you talk to anyone around the team, last year was supposed to be the break out season for NAW. He had a tremendous offseason and seemed poised to make the leap. Then the season started with basically 3 straight DNP-CDs in which SVG rolled with an 8 man rotation coming off a shortened offseason and people were kind of like what the hell is going on here.

Quote Originally Posted by PELSGIRL View Post
    True, I understand what you're saying but to add Lowry, what's the sales pitch? He wants to win another Championship, so if they even get a meeting w/ him they have to tell him they're thinking about bringing in this player for this reason to get there. It can't just be to make the playoffs (which I know it is essentially right now but to land him it has to be more). So what's the overall plan, I know if I was a FA and a team was courting me, that would be my question.
    The sales pitch is to point at the last two years of Chris Paul and the universal praise he's gotten for them.

Shamit was saying on Twitter that this is becoming more and more the norm in the NBA and that the role of the head coach has shifted fairly dramatically over the last decade or so.

That's just one guy saying it, of course, so take it with all the grains of salt, but it may not be as unusual as it sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I think Lowry is atop Miami's wish list, and they have the ability to just sign him outright. Now, we can outbid Miami and then based on that contract make it a sign and trade with Toronto. In that scenario, Toronto's choices are to let him go to Miami for nothing or take what we are willing to offer to get Lowry. In that scenario, I think Bledsoe and the Lakers 2022 pick would be better than losing him for nothing

And if Philly or someone else comes along and beats that, then they can have him. That would be my stance if I were Griff. Happy to pay Lowry for 2-3 years (22-24 per season) and I'll give up a 'meh' first for him and Bledsoe or Adams. But I wouldnt give up more than that, and if someone else beats my money or assets offered, cool
    I see you agree. It is ridiculous to even entertain trading the 10th pick for a Lowry sign and trade as there is no way he re-signs with Toronto as a FA. He isn?t a RFA like Ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    I see you agree. It is ridiculous to even entertain trading the 10th pick for a Lowry sign and trade as there is no way he re-signs with Toronto as a FA. He isn?t a RFA like Ball.
    We can't sign him unless it's a sign and trade, so it doesn't really matter that he's a UFA.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    We can't sign him unless it's a sign and trade, so it doesn't really matter that he's a UFA.
    We could sign him, but we would either have to dump Bledsoe and Adams or renounce the rights to all of our FAs

With only 9 days to go until the draft, I would assume things will start to heat up on the trade market. If Griffin is going to deal #10 for a veteran, curious as to who he is serious about. Sexton? Brogdon? Player and trade down? Bledsoe attached to a move down? Could get interesting.

Hall of Famer
    Eliot Clough @EliotClough
    about 22 minutes ago
    You have your choice between Kyle Lowry S&T (Pels give up picks + Steven Adam and Kira, Jax, or NAW) Collin Sexton (via trading Bled + a future first and 2021 #35) Lonzo for 4 years 84 million Which are you taking?

Quote Originally Posted by Speakthetruth View Post
    Eliot Clough @EliotClough
    about 22 minutes ago
    You have your choice between Kyle Lowry S&T (Pels give up picks + Steven Adam and Kira, Jax, or NAW) Collin Sexton (via trading Bled + a future first and 2021 #35) Lonzo for 4 years 84 million Which are you taking?
    Don't know who that is. I would chose Sexton in those scenarios though.

With only 9 days to go until the draft, I would assume things will start to heat up on the trade market. If Griffin is going to deal #10 for a veteran, curious as to who he is serious about. Sexton? Brogdon? Player and trade down? Bledsoe attached to a move down? Could get interesting.
    Turn to history to see his move with Atlanta a few years ago. In order to open up the space to sign Favors and JJ, he traded 4 and Solomon Hill for 8, 17, and 35. As many on Twitter have discussed, I would not be surprised to see a similar move this season.

10 and Bledsoe to OKC for 16 and 18
    or
    10 and Bledsoe to NYK for 19 and 21

Many have also mentioned the idea of sending Bledsoe and 10 to Memphis for 17 and one of their young guys.

Thread Information