Pelicans Report

Page 33 of 157 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 43 83 133 ... LastLast

Thread: Pels Off season thread

Y'all realize Dame is locked down for 4 more years right? This isn't like the AD situation where he basically chose the trade partner for us, Dame doesn't have that kinda leverage in this situation. If the relationship between Dame and Portland's FO is broken, then their FO is going to take the best offer available and I think we have the best assets to offer a rebuilding team. And it's not like Dame has ever had a problem with being in a small market or like he's wanted to join other win-ready super teams, so I don't know why anyone is acting like our assets are useless in this situation. If Dame requests a trade, we have to be one of the favorites to land him. And I don't care about his age as much as some others, I think his game will age well. I'd trade BI, Kira, Bledsoe and 4-5 first for Dame and Covington like yesterday. Resign Lonzo and you've got a really good starting lineup from day one.

You guys use way too broad of terms and that is where the arguing and confusion come from.

Win now, to some means win a title or bust. To others, it is about improving on last years W/L record by adding guys who impact winning as opposed to projects who wont impact winning right away.

The more accurate depiction of where the Pels are, would be to say: Next year is about results more than it has been in the previous two years. The primary goal for the previous two years was development and setting foundational elements when it comes to how we do things as an organization. This upcoming year will flip that, where development will still matter but results are more important. Lets say we went from 30/70 to 60/40 (results/development)

The above would be accurate. "Win now" is a broad phrase that gets people into arguments. What I laid out above is a more detailed forecast of where they are at
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    I'm not convinced they can't fit well together.
    https://www.nola.com/sports/pelicans...bf47ecb05.html

Better win now

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    You guys use way too broad of terms and that is where the arguing and confusion come from.

Win now, to some means win a title or bust. To others, it is about improving on last years W/L record by adding guys who impact winning as opposed to projects who wont impact winning right away.

The more accurate depiction of where the Pels are, would be to say: Next year is about results more than it has been in the previous two years. The primary goal for the previous two years was development and setting foundational elements when it comes to how we do things as an organization. This upcoming year will flip that, where development will still matter but results are more important. Lets say we went from 30/70 to 60/40 (results/development)

The above would be accurate. "Win now" is a broad phrase that gets people into arguments. What I laid out above is a more detailed forecast of where they are at

2 years. It took this guy 2 years to clean things up. Let that sink in.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...ar/7764475002/

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/...e-phoenix-suns

July 2017 he becomes VP of Basketball Operations. In Year 1, they go 21-61

- In the 2018 draft, as part of their staff they steal Mikal Bridges from the Sixers for Zhaire Smith and take Ayton #1

- By October 2018, he becomes the interim GM

- That season he trades Trevor Ariza for Kelly Oubre Jr and Ryan Anderson for Tyler Johnson (remember this). The Suns went 19-63

- Becomes full time GM in 2019 and in a shocking move at the time, he fired Igor Kokoskov and hired Monty Williams

- In the 2019 draft he trades TJ Warren to the Pacers for cash. That move made no sense at the time. He also traded down from 6 to 11 to snag Dario Saric and draft Cam Johnson. A pick that was talked about as a huge reach. He then also traded a late 2020 pick for Baynes and the 24th pick while also signing Ricky Rubio in free agency.

Let's stop here for a second. On the surface, it's not really clear what the plan was. TJ Warren was one of their best players, Cam Johnson pick was questionable. But you started to see the light at the end of the tunnel. The Suns probably make the playoffs last year if not for Ayton's suspension. They then go 8-0 in the bubble and look like they are onto something.

OK, let's get back into it.

- In November 2020, the big shoe dropped. The Chris Paul trade. After proving he was very much not washed up, the Suns made it happen. Remember those Kelly Oubre and Barnes trades? Or that sort of confusing Rubio signing? Well, they don't land CP3 without them. The package of Oubre Jr, Rubio, Ty Jerome (from the Baynes deal), and some filler is what brought Chris Paul to the desert.

- Enter free agency. Anyone could have had Jae Crowder. He had just made a Finals and is always seemingly on good teams. His 3/29M deal isn't outrageous by any means.

You add it all up and let's see where we're at. The Suns have the 2nd best record in the NBA. Cam Johnson looks like a hit at 11 and is perfect in his role as a spot up shooter with size. DeAndre Ayton looks like a hit as the #1 pick. Mikal Bridges is the perfect 3 and D wing for today's NBA. Devin Booker obviously is flourishing. Monty Williams was the perfect hire.

The Suns are not a super team. They don't have the benefit of being in New York City or Miami where the best of the best decide to team up together just to be in that location. They have a cheap as ******** owner. This team was built "the right way" you could say. Smart drafting, guts to make trades that might seem crazy at the time but give you the assets you need to pounce when the right star becomes available. It's not like the Suns are this big market team that attracts all the best free agents. ********, maybe they will now, but that has not been the case during this era.

In a two year span to go from 19-63 to 51-21 in a weird condensed season in which you look like a legit title contender is about as close to a flawless rebuild as you can get. Suddenly Devin Booker is more than just a good stats on a bad team guy, but when you give him legit talent around him looks like every bit the franchise cornerstone player you need him to be. James Jones has nailed pretty much every step of this process. Not only that, but they play a fun ****** style of basketball.
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 06-28-2021 at 06:50 PM.

Well on that note Kuzma has cleared Lakers from his social media

https://clutchpoints.com/lakers-2-re...n-make-ranked/

So he probably won’t come here

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Well on that note Kuzma has cleared Lakers from his social media

https://clutchpoints.com/lakers-2-re...n-make-ranked/

So he probably won’t come here
    I don’t want him even if he did.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    I agree with Mac on this one. We have different ideas about “win now”.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Got any other old news? Right moves doesn’t mean short-sighted trades. You’re in full-on panic mode.

Got any other old news? Right moves doesn’t mean short-sighted trades. You’re in full-on panic mode.
    This.

I saw an article suggesting:

Pelicans get: Collin Sexton (RFA in 2022...QA is $8.5MM)
    Cavs get: Eric Bledsoe and 2021 First Round Pick

I like this one. Free up Cap $$$$ (2021 Salary is only $5MM), we get to test drive Sexton who has averaged over 20 for the last two years before committing long term, Bledsoe is gone-pecan, and Sexton is probably already better than any # 10 pick we would have to develop for a few years.

You asked when Grif said it and I showed you . Now Is Zion happy?

Speaking of panic mode.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    I saw an article suggesting:

Pelicans get: Collin Sexton (RFA in 2022...QA is $8.5MM)
    Cavs get: Eric Bledsoe and 2021 First Round Pick

I like this one. Free up Cap $$$$ (2021 Salary is only $5MM), we get to test drive Sexton who has averaged over 20 for the last two years before committing long term, Bledsoe is gone-pecan, and Sexton is probably already better than any # 10 pick we would have to develop for a few years.
    Not the biggest fan of Sexton. His usage% is near 30% on a very bad team and almost nonexistent on defense while more turnover prone. Ingram has a more assists than him on the season. I could see him improving and easy get if Cavs are selling low. You don't buy HIGH on Sexton. If we get away with giving away 2 protected picks and maybe a swap while also dumping Bledsoe.

I'd do it. Rather keep that 10th pick to draft a player or trade for a bigger star.

Shamit too?

Shamit has not proposed any trade like Fletchers and honestly, Shamit has never said we are trying to trade for Dame or offered any more info than any fan. He certainly wants him as most fans would, but he has not said that anything is in the works or even that Dame has asked out.

You asked when Grif said it and I showed you . Now Is Zion happy?

Speaking of panic mode.
    Where did he say it? Unless I missed it, that was an article by Kushner with his opinions.

In other news.... NAW is doing fantastic in the first half of the FIBA tournament vs Greece... Maybe his future is the PG spot. ( If his teammates could hit shots so his AST could go up.)

http://www.fiba.basketball/oqt/canad...a#tab=boxscore

Quote Originally Posted by hornetzplaya View Post
    In other news.... NAW is doing fantastic in the first half of the FIBA tournament vs Greece... Maybe his future is the PG spot. ( If his teammates could hit shots so his AST could go up.)

http://www.fiba.basketball/oqt/canad...a#tab=boxscore
    Yeah I read he’s been killing it at PG. imagine if SVG would have started him over Bledsoe this year and let him get some nba experience. I think NAW is gonna be a gamer

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Yeah I read he’s been killing it at PG. imagine if SVG would have started him over Bledsoe this year and let him get some nba experience. I think NAW is gonna be a gamer
    NAW's issue has always been his indecision. He fixes this part of his game he will be a great combo guard.
    Him and Zo actually compliment one another.

NAW has always made great decisions, but he's very inconsistent in that department.

He'll get into the pocket of the defense and make a great play. Then next 2 times down attempt an ill advised cross court pass or jack up a bad step back 3.

That said, he was the best guard on this team all last year by far.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    NAW has always made great decisions, but he's very inconsistent in that department.
    Huh?

Huh?
    LMAO - I thought the same exact thing.

"John always makes the right choice, but he sometimes makes the wrong one"

Huh?
    You somehow forgot to bold the word "has." Do you need this explained to you further or you got it now?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    LMAO - I thought the same exact thing.

"John always makes the right choice, but he sometimes makes the wrong one"
    Of course you did. Low brow committee is kinda stupid.

It's really frustrating to again see NAW put in a team situation where he has to play the 1 and hunt offense on a bench that can't score. He's a 2 guard. You can't ask him to run an offense. That's not his skillset and he's developing bad habits.

If instead of trying to make him Ginobili, he was molded to be like Evan Fourneir, we'd be a lot happier with the result.

Of course you did. Low brow committee is kinda stupid.
    Are you attempting to defend your hilariously contradictory statement?

Surely you did it on purpose

Thread Information