Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 157 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: Pels Off season thread

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    I'll hold off until after the lottery. If we move into the top 4 that'll change how I view the off-season. But 3 moves I would like to see regardless are:
    -Trading a couple 2nds for Jarrett Culver as it seems Minnesota wants to move on despite his upside still being very high imo
    -Trade Bledsoe+Adams for Horford+2nd
    -Sign Otto Porter
    Has it been reported that Minny wants to move on from Culver? If so, worth a couple of 2nds to kick the tires at a low cost
    I like Porter at the right price.
    Do not understand why we would trade Adams and Bledsoe for Horford unless OKC was adding at least one 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Do not understand why we would trade Adams and Bledsoe for Horford unless OKC was adding at least one 1st.
    I thoroughly agree with you about Horford. He is clearly a declining player who is 35 years old and has a salary hit of > 27MM for the next two years. It would be a terrible trade to even move Adams for Horford straight up. And, I can live with Bledsoe in a backup role on his expiring contract,

Has it been reported that Minny wants to move on from Culver? If so, worth a couple of 2nds to kick the tires at a low cost
    I like Porter at the right price.
    Yeah a few days ago rumors came out that they were interested in moving him. And the athletic reported he almost was moved at trade deadline
    https://hoopshype.com/storyline/jarrett-culver-trade/

"Scotto:**He?s a guy, depending on who you talk to around the league, certain executives, they think he can be had (via trade) in the offseason."

"He is very much trade bait,? Wolfson said of Culver.**?The Wolves are not married to having Jarrett Culver on the roster next season, but it?s not like a lot of teams are knocking down the walls door to trade for Jarrett Culver."

Not sure what they would actually want for him but the consensus on the Timberwolves forums was a couple 2nds or late 1st.

And I agree on Horford. Idk why I thought he had 1 year left on his deal. 2 year $54M is too much.

Yeah a few days ago rumors came out that they were interested in moving him. And the athletic reported he almost was moved at trade deadline
    https://hoopshype.com/storyline/jarrett-culver-trade/

"Scotto:**He?s a guy, depending on who you talk to around the league, certain executives, they think he can be had (via trade) in the offseason."

"He is very much trade bait,? Wolfson said of Culver.**?The Wolves are not married to having Jarrett Culver on the roster next season, but it?s not like a lot of teams are knocking down the walls door to trade for Jarrett Culver."

Not sure what they would actually want for him but the consensus on the Timberwolves forums was a couple 2nds or late 1st.

And I agree on Horford. Idk why I thought he had 1 year left on his deal. 2 year $54M is too much.
    Didn't think to look at Culver's salary as I assumed he would be cheap since he is on a rookie deal. Given how poorly he has played, not sure we need to take on his contract which still has 2 years/$12.5 million guaranteed before deciding whether to pick up his option. The Pels may not want to invest that much to kick the tires unless they see some solid potential.

Didn't think to look at Culver's salary as I assumed he would be cheap since he is on a rookie deal. Given how poorly he has played, not sure we need to take on his contract which still has 2 years/$12.5 million guaranteed before deciding whether to pick up his option. The Pels may not want to invest that much to kick the tires unless they see some solid potential.
    True his contract isn't exactly on the cheap side. I'd probably still take it on. The 2nd year is a team option. I was at the game they played in Dallas last season. There aren't many players I seen guard Luka as well as he did. His defense is legit. If Fred Vinson can get his jumper together, he could be a very good 2 way player. He played well at the beginning of the season and preseason, but injuries and the Wolves depth at the wing positions found him outside of the rotation. I think he just needs a change of scenery.

I found this defensive compilation of him his rookie season. He would instantly become our best defender.
    https://youtu.be/au6LbngHYvE

The Franchise
    I'll hold off until after the lottery. If we move into the top 4 that'll change how I view the off-season. But 3 moves I would like to see regardless are:
    -Trading a couple 2nds for Jarrett Culver as it seems Minnesota wants to move on despite his upside still being very high imo
    -Trade Bledsoe+Adams for Horford+2nd
    -Sign Otto Porter
    I?d love to take a chance on both Culver and Otto Porter. Could really solidify our long wings. Give me Cam Reddish as well and you have some real depth at the 2-4.

Next I?d trade most anything to get Jalen Green. I think he?ll be special

What would Atlanta give us for a sign and trade for Lonzo? I?d love to workout a way to get Collins or Okungwu and Reddish. Not sure we?d have what they?d want.

NAW, Kira
    Green, Hart, Culver
    BI, Reddish,
    Zion, Porter
    Adams, Hayes

Hall of Famer
    Atl would never trade for lonzo

Quote Originally Posted by Speakthetruth View Post
    Atl would never trade for lonzo
    Which is weird because I actually think ATL is one of his better landing spots in terms of fit, and they're in need of a secondary playmaker type as well.

Obviously you have to take cost into account, but just on paper it's not a bad place for him.
    Basketball.

Pelicans need multiple quality 3-point shooters to make the quality leap.
    "The greatest threat to the domination is the equality."

Heard on tv Danny Ainge said there will be major changes in Boston this off season.

Not sure what that exactly means or if it's just a threat. Could mean they are willing to sell Marcus Smart or even Jaylen Brown.

**the actual quote doesn't seem that drastic...NBA TV

"We'll definitely be looking to make changes in the offseason," said Ainge. "How significant, I don't know yet."
    Last edited by luckyman; 05-16-2021 at 07:35 PM.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    I said this in another thread also, but if Griff is as serious about pursuing shooting as he sounded in tonight's in-game interview, he might want to see what needs to be done to accommodate a Duncan Robinson....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    I?d love to take a chance on both Culver and Otto Porter. Could really solidify our long wings. Give me Cam Reddish as well and you have some real depth at the 2-4.

Next I?d trade most anything to get Jalen Green. I think he?ll be special

What would Atlanta give us for a sign and trade for Lonzo? I?d love to workout a way to get Collins or Okungwu and Reddish. Not sure we?d have what they?d want.

NAW, Kira
    Green, Hart, Culver
    BI, Reddish,
    Zion, Porter
    Adams, Hayes
    Why? That team would be worse than this year?s team. no shooting. No vets. No true PG. worse than the Minnesota Twolves.

I won't take his "find shooting" comments too far off the deep end. That shouldn't mean he's about to go find more JJ Redicks.

Simply means he wants to go get basketball players that can make shots when left open. But not complete albatrosses on other aspects of the floor.

Pels Off season thread

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I won't take his "find shooting" comments too far off the deep end. That shouldn't mean he's about to go find more JJ Redicks.

Simply means he wants to go get basketball players that can make shots when left open. But not complete albatrosses on other aspects of the floor.
    I agree but it?s not like two way guards grow on trees. We are most likely going to have to go after a shooter like Duncan Robinson and someone else who plays solid defense and facilitate ( sounds a lot like Lonzo?s skillset on his good days).

I think having a 40 percent three point shooting guard in our starting lineup will make a huge difference. Unfortunately, that player has to make up for Ingram?s lack of defense on the perimeter.

With that said, i think our best bet is to either bet on Lonzo at 20 Mil or and Sign/draft a solid three point guard like Duncan Robinson..... Or sign/draft a solid defensive pest of a guard who can at least catch and shoot at greater than 30 percent and sign Duncan Robinson.

Basically what i am saying is it will be very hard to find one starting guard that can fit the bill of what we need. We will have to get two players who we can start based on matchups. Edit: While moving Bledsoe at that. Which is sad because it sounds like i?m describing what Blesdoe should have been.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sleeper; 05-17-2021 at 01:18 AM.

Looks like he is going to fix it

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Looks like he is going to fix it

But hooooooooowwwww... Sounds like we are about to grossly overpay for an above average shooter... Not even a great one.

Griffin keeps writing these checks that he can't cash and makes us look desperate. Sometimes he just needs to shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    But hooooooooowwwww... Sounds like we are about to grossly overpay for an above average shooter
    Griff about to trade for OG Anunoby and fix like 3 problems at once*

*In my dreams

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    I agree but it?s not like two way guards grow on trees. We are most likely going to have to go after a shooter like Duncan Robinson and someone else who plays solid defense and facilitate ( sounds a lot like Lonzo?s skillset on his good days).

I think having a 40 percent three point shooting guard in our starting lineup will make a huge difference. Unfortunately, that player has to make up for Ingram?s lack of defense on the perimeter.

With that said, i think our best bet is to either bet on Lonzo at 20 Mil or and Sign/draft a solid three point guard like Duncan Robinson..... Or sign/draft a solid defensive pest of a guard who can at least catch and shoot at greater than 30 percent and sign Duncan Robinson.

Basically what i am saying is it will be very hard to find one starting guard that can fit the bill of what we need. We will have to get two players who we can start based on matchups. Edit: While moving Bledsoe at that. Which is sad because it sounds like i?m describing what Blesdoe should have been.

Everything you just said is why Moses Moody is my favorite draft prospect for us, outside the top 4-5.

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    Everything you just said is why Moses Moody is my favorite draft prospect for us, outside the top 4-5.
    Assuming that Cade, Mobley, Suggs, etc, are all gone, Moody is one of the guys I buy most in the class. Would love to draft him.

Him, Franz Wagner, Springer (who I think is criminally underrated by most mainstream media).

If we do end up making a late first (by trading up all our many seconds) and using it (unlikely) then Jared Butler might still be there and he's cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post

Ingram's lack of defense has more to do with a team wide problem than an individual one. When he was asked to guard other wings like George, Kawhi, and Tatum, he did just fine one on one. When it comes to Ingram's and Zion's poor defensive play, it's the off-ball/team communication issues. That's on the entire team. Zion started the year getting roasted even one-on-one, but as the year went along, he got better at it.

Bringing in some defensive stalwart won't help anything until the other guys on the court understand proper rotations, close outs, weakside help, who to let shoot and who to press, box outs, etc.

Stan has lots of work to do in that area, and bringing in pure shooters that do nothing else only makes the problem worse. So who they bring in doesn't need to be Draymond Green, but can simply move their feet and has some defensive IQ along with the shooting. This will have to be a vet.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I can see how he got the job. He’s a good salesman. Really makes you buy what he’s selling.

But is he able to deliver?

Bledsoe, Lonzo, and James Johnson out. 5.5 for 16. Hope is you would bring in a few guys who are slightly higher volume. Maybe they go 7 for 18. Then, you hope Ingram gets cleaner looks and maybe climbs back up to 40%. The real X factors are NAW, Naji and Hart. Went 3.9 for 11.5; 34-ish%. Get that up to 38%

Those little changes/improvements and you are middle of the pack in both makes and %, without having to sacrifice your other strengths (offensive rebounding and FTR). Also, shouldnt hurt you on the defensive end. I think that is the path - not get rid of the Harts and Marshall's, etc and replace them with Duncan Robinsons to plug one hole and create another
    @mcnamara247

Someone like Otto Porter at a reasonable price seems like a nice fit without breaking the bank.

I just think Otto would be such a good fit. Good 3 point shooter, good defender.

Could start at the 3 so Ingram could play SG which supposedly he is better at for defending than when he defends small forwards

Someone like Otto Porter at a reasonable price seems like a nice fit without breaking the bank.
    Depends on what you think reasonable is. MLE? Definitely. More than that, for multiple years, no thank you. I think he is a nice combo forward off the bench who can spot start and be a reliable 7th or 8th man in the postseason. I will give up the MLE for that

Thread Information