Pelicans Report

Page 27 of 157 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 37 77 127 ... LastLast

Thread: Pels Off season thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    IMO we need defense in return. We can just sign Otto Porter in FA for our stretch four.

I haven?t watched Sabonis play much but he is not much help defense right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Porter could be a nice pickup if he comes for a reasonable price. He will not be able to command what he did in the past.

Yes my dream for the offseason(well not a total dream, but something that could possibly happen)

We get the 2nd pick in the lottery. We draft Jalen Green to be our starting shooting guard

3 team trade:

OKC: Bledsoe, Taurean Prince, Lakers or Bucks 1st, and a couple 2nds
    Cavs: Adams & NAW
    Pelicans: Kemba, Nance Jr, & Dylan Windler

Resign Josh Hart & big Willy. Sign Danny Green or the best 3 point shooting wing we can afford

C: Jax, Hernangomez
    PF: Zion, Nance Jr
    SF: BI, Danny Green, Windler
    SG: Jalen Green, Hart
    PG: Kemba, Kira

Per Woj,,, Pels got permission to interview Jacuqes Vaughn and Charles Lee

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    Yes my dream for the offseason(well not a total dream, but something that could possibly happen)

We get the 2nd pick in the lottery. We draft Jalen Green to be our starting shooting guard

3 team trade:

Resign Josh Hart & big Willy. Sign Danny Green or the best 3 point shooting wing we can afford

Why would you want to take on Walker in a dream scenario?

3 team trade:

Just letting Lonzo walk? What are you doing with Naji? Not exercising Club Option on DiDi? Iwundu and Gabriel are under contract, no? How much are you paying H'Gomez and Hart?

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Per Woj,,, Pels got permission to interview Jacuqes Vaughn and Charles Lee

Charles Lee would be interesting

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Of course. Like clock work, Fletch wants a female coach and nothing but European players.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    At least Fletch is consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Effectively a lottery protected 1st (a 15 - 30 in '23, or '24, or '25) and two seconds. You aren't going to trade for any legit starter without giving up some kind of 1st. What OKC could flip Hill into is their doing. Because not every team is in the same position. Diminishing returns stands in every transaction.

This team literally has four 2nds (34, 40, 43, and 53) they've got to do something with this year alone. What is the point in stock piling more and more 2nds when you have more than enough already? This team is not in the same position as OKC. They have literally SGA, a borderline all-star, and now Kemba for trade purposes. They are literally still buidling from scratch. This team is not.

So again, a lottery protected 1st and two (or four) 2nds for a player that helps you in the paint immensely is not an overpay. Especially when that player himself can be flipped on a friendly extension.

Hey but at least we aren't calling out losing Kenrich Williams anymore I see. Progress.

And the onus is on the person making the claim.
    I think this conversation is going no where because you need further explanation on why Steven Adams was an overpay.

The Steven Adams trade by giving up a late first is not a big deal (We are terrible at drafting anyway). Steven Adams for one year if Griffin really wanted him not that bad, no flexability lost.

Now the overpay comes when you sign him to the rash extension thinking that his value was going to skyrocket or something. Had we not signed him to an extension this offseason we would have 24 million in cap space. Now that we signed him to the rash extension we only have 7 million and to unload him we would have to give a team a future first or two and probably not even gain any flexability because a team probably would send back an expiring contract. The opportunity cost becomes:

Player we could have gotten with 24 million in cap space, plus 2 (or 3 firsts), george hill, and kenrich williams.

We also probably could have signed him for less than 17 million dollars a year this offseason as well.

Now we are stuck in a situation where we have to unload him, lose our starting center and probably not gain any flexability this offseason.

At the time I was a big skeptic of the extension because Steven Adams really doesn't fit today's game at all.

All that was explained back when the trade was made. And several times again

The issue is that a choice few choose not to acknowledge those things. It has been explained like that in detail and you also even missed a few things. Doesnt matter. People are stubborn
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by Pels247 View Post
    I think this conversation is going no where because you need further explanation on why Steven Adams was an overpay.

The Steven Adams trade by giving up a late first is not a big deal (We are terrible at drafting anyway). Steven Adams for one year if Griffin really wanted him not that bad, no flexability lost.

Now the overpay comes when you sign him to the rash extension thinking that his value was going to skyrocket or something. Had we not signed him to an extension this offseason we would have 24 million in cap space. Now that we signed him to the rash extension we only have 7 million and to unload him we would have to give a team a future first or two and probably not even gain any flexability because a team probably would send back an expiring contract. The opportunity cost becomes:

Player we could have gotten with 24 million in cap space, plus 2 (or 3 firsts), george hill, and kenrich williams.

We also probably could have signed him for less than 17 million dollars a year this offseason as well.

Now we are stuck in a situation where we have to unload him, lose our starting center and probably not gain any flexability this offseason.

At the time I was a big skeptic of the extension because Steven Adams really doesn't fit today's game at all.
    How dare thoust enter and display such unholy traits as logic, insight and critical thinking?

I cast thee out!

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    At least Fletch is consistent.
    Hire Spoon

Hire Spoon

Overpaying for Love, and shooting a little too low for Korkmaz.

Hire Spoon

Out of your mind to think Detroit would take that for Grant lol. It's gonna take at least 2-4 first round picks plus someone like Lonzo.

Fletch is crazy...

Hire Spoon

Can you even sign and trade a player with other players included?

Quote Originally Posted by bradael View Post
    Can you even sign and trade a player with other players included?
    Didn't we sign and trade a number of players last year to complete the Adams Heist (which included Jrue Holiday)?
    Last edited by As I See It; 06-22-2021 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetzplaya View Post
    Out of your mind to think Detroit would take that for Grant lol. It's gonna take at least 2-4 first round picks plus someone like Lonzo.

Fletch is crazy...
    No way it would take that much for Grant and if so, I would not touch him. He put up somewhat empty stats on a bad team in Detroit and is making $20+ million a year. He is a very good player, but not the superstar you are valuing him at.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    No way it would take that much for Grant and if so, I would not touch him. He put up somewhat empty stats on a bad team in Detroit and is making $20+ million a year. He is a very good player, but not the superstar you are valuing him at.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Didn't we sign and trade a number of players last year to complete the Adams Heist (which included Jrue Holiday)?
    Adams was already under contract. His was an extension, not a sign and trade. Plus sign and trades have to be at least 3 years in length I believe.

However, I just searched and couldn't find anything regarding restrictions on including other players in the deal of a sign and trade, but I thought I had heard that somewhere that the latest CBA put that restriction in. Maybe I was wrong.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Why the hell does he have us giving up that much for Jeremi Grant? Is Fletch being weird and dumb again or...did Grant have an awesome season and I wasn't paying attention or something?

Time to Google some crap.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I'm not saying we should trade form him, I'm only stating that Detroit will sell high on him. They'll want a good Ransom or they'll keep him for the next one or two seasons to build his value.

But to your point, I would touch him either if he cost that much.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!

3 team trade:

That could be a top 4 team in the west.

Quote Originally Posted by Pels247 View Post

Firstly, you can't look at that cap space in a vacuum. This team is not in a position to be carrying $24 mil in cap space around when you have Zion and BI on the roster already. That money was going to be spent somewhere in an honest effort to at least try to make the playoffs. . We already know the alternative was to sign some trash at center (Aron Baynes or Harry Giles according to the sage of stupidity), then use the MLE and BAE to go sign some other "useful" player still yet to be named. The fact that the whining over losing Kenrich in that deal has completely died just shows how unstable this argument is. You're also free to start naming some players they should/could have went after, which will have to include somebody at center.

And that's where this argument dies.

And again, we've already established that this team has lots of flexibility. They still have a number of 1sts to be used as intended. They have a number of 2nds as well (12 over the next 7 years). They still have, yet again, the full MLE, BAE and $4 mil in trade exception money to use this year. I also don't know where you get a $7 mil cap space number from. I'm seeing at least $14 mil projected for next year before any moves have been made.
    Last edited by luckyman; 06-22-2021 at 06:34 PM.

Thread Information