Pelicans Report

Page 16 of 157 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 66 116 ... LastLast

Thread: Pels Off season thread

Ingram and a protected 1st for Jaylen Brown, do we do it? Do they do it?

Brown is a better fit for us. Better 3pt shooter and defender, not as good iso, passer or post up as Ingram. But I think brown fits better next to Zion than Ingram
    Last edited by HornetGuru; 06-03-2021 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post

Brown is a better fit for us. Better 3pt shooter and defender, not as good iso, passer or post up as Ingram. But I think brown fits better next to Zion than Ingram
    They wouldnt...I sure as heck would
    @mcnamara247

They wouldn't. I would.

I think Brown is regarded as a better defender by a lot of people I see talking than he actually is, but he's still considerably better than Ingram on that end.

Ingram is the better self-creator and playmaker, that's quite clear, but after the last year that gap has closed slightly on Brown's side, as Brown has improved in a few ways.

But Brown's defense is valuable, and as you mention, his shooting is very good as well, and he's also slightly cheaper, though not by that much (final year of his deal is about $28.5m, final year of Ingram's is $36.0m).

I do think Ingram's ultimate ceiling on offense is a bit higher, but not by enough to make me turn down the defensive upgrade from Brown, plus the growth Brown has shown as a self-creator over the last year is quite encouraging.
    Basketball.

Mac, what are your thoughts on Alex Caruso? I like his tenacity and grit; he really seems to be that "energizer Bunny-type" you want coming off the bench. Although the sample size is not great, he seems to have a nice three ball and is dogged defensively. As an UFA, what kind of salary will it take to take to land him? Would you be interested?

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Mac, what are your thoughts on Alex Caruso? I like his tenacity and grit; he really seems to be that "energizer Bunny-type" you want coming off the bench. Although the sample size is not great, he seems to have a nice three ball and is dogged defensively. As an UFA, what kind of salary will it take to take to land him? Would you be interested?
    I would be interested if 2 out of 3 of NAW, Lonzo, and Kira were gone this summer, but if even two of those guys return and you got Naji and Didi, and likely a guard you got in a trade for Bledsoe or a sign and trade for Lonzo, I dont see how he is the guy that makes the most sense to use resources on.

But if you make some kind of 3 or 4 for 1 trade and are top heavy, and lost some guards, Id love him as a 7th man

Stephen A Smith hinted just now Dame may want new scenery

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Brilliant job, SAS. Dame hinted that all his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Brilliant job, SAS. Dame hinted that all his own.
    Yeah, genius media work.

Dame: gets knocked out in the first round for the 4th time in 5 years, instantly hits social media with quotes asking how long he should stay dedicated.
    SAS: Hm... I wonder if... possibly... this may indicate some degree of dissatisfaction with ongoing events... a mystery only I could solve...

And naturally the first teams they bring up....the Knicks and Lakers.

So Bleacher Report posted a trade idea...

Myles Turner, Jeremy Lamb, TJ Warren in exchange for Steven Adams, Eric Bledsoe, Lakers 2022 FRP, and Milwaukee 2025 FRP.

I am not opposed to this.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinDavis1022 View Post
    So Bleacher Report posted a trade idea...

Myles Turner, Jeremy Lamb, TJ Warren in exchange for Steven Adams, Eric Bledsoe, Lakers 2022 FRP, and Milwaukee 2025 FRP.

I am not opposed to this.
    Ahhhh... I had fond memories of bubble Warren.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinDavis1022 View Post
    And naturally the first teams they bring up....the Knicks and Lakers.
    and houston..

Ingram had a 58.4 TS%, with only 19% of his shot attempts at the rim. Which means he got that % mainly on mid-range and 3s, which is quite remarkable. Which also fits with Zion's and Adam's limited range at this time.

Brown had a 58.6 TS% , with 31% of his shots at the rim. Which does NOT fit with Zion's or Adam's limited range at this time.

Brown also had a paltry 12.5% assist ratio compared to Ingram's 17.5%. Which would also mean disaster when Zion is off the floor without better point guard play at least.

Defensively it is hard to say Brown would make much difference since players usually take a step back under a new coach and system. Next year will tell that story.

So yeah, Ingram AND a 1st for Brown is pretty ridiculous at this point. Ingram for Brown straight up is highly questionable.

I've just started looking at possible free agents.

One in mind is Doug McDermott. You want a shooter? He's a shooter. And can put the ball on the floor and attack now too.

Defensively..... But in his role you hope he can cook offensively in his minutes off the bench to not torpedo the team on the defensive end.

I'd go after him on a 2 - 3 year deal.
    Last edited by luckyman; 06-05-2021 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I've just started looking at possible free agents.

One in mind is Doug McDermott. You want a shooter? He's a shooter. And can put the ball on the floor and attack now too.

Defensively..... But in his role you hope he can cook offensively in his minutes off the bench to not torpedo the team on the defensive end.

I'd go after him on a 2 - 3 year deal.
    I generally agree, depending on the size of the contract of course.

Like you say, he can shoot (last 4 seasons he's averaged 3.4 attempts per game in 21 minutes a night - which is 8.0 per 100 - at about 41%, which is good), is consistent from the FT line when he gets there (81.6% over the last 4 seasons) and he's actually a very effective finisher from 2.

Obviously it's not massive 2pt volume or anything, and we don't need him for that, but over the last 4 seasons 31.6% of his shots have come directly at the rim and he's shot 68.8% on those, which is a few percent over league average (64.9%, iirc).

He can't really create for himself much (83% of those 2s were assisted, and 100% of his 3s in that span have been assisted) or for others, and as you mention his defense is not very nice, but if the contract has a low yearly cost I don't see the harm in it.

It's the sort of thing where if it was our only major move, I'd consider it a failure of an off-season, but if it just caps off some other nice moves it's a ''why not'' kind of positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I generally agree, depending on the size of the contract of course.

Like you say, he can shoot (last 4 seasons he's averaged 3.4 attempts per game in 21 minutes a night - which is 8.0 per 100 - at about 41%, which is good), is consistent from the FT line when he gets there (81.6% over the last 4 seasons) and he's actually a very effective finisher from 2.

Obviously it's not massive 2pt volume or anything, and we don't need him for that, but over the last 4 seasons 31.6% of his shots have come directly at the rim and he's shot 68.8% on those, which is a few percent over league average (64.9%, iirc).

He can't really create for himself much (83% of those 2s were assisted, and 100% of his 3s in that span have been assisted) or for others, and as you mention his defense is not very nice, but if the contract has a low yearly cost I don't see the harm in it.

It's the sort of thing where if it was our only major move, I'd consider it a failure of an off-season, but if it just caps off some other nice moves it's a ''why not'' kind of positive.
    I wouldn't consider getting McDermott to come here as a willing free agent a cherry-on-top fringe move though. Especially for this franchise. He'd be a somewhat material get and needle mover...all things considered.

I don't event think the odds of getting him are high. I expect the Lakers and Knicks to throw money at him and Otto Porter Jr. But if Griff could use that gift of gab to get him here on a 2/3 year deal...I'd bow my head to that man.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I wouldn't consider getting McDermott to come here as a willing free agent a cherry-on-top fringe move though. Especially for this franchise. He'd be a somewhat material get and needle mover...all things considered.

I don't event think the odds of getting him are high. I expect the Lakers and Knicks to throw money at him and Otto Porter Jr. But if Griff could use that gift of gab to get him here on a 2/3 year deal...I'd bow my head to that man.
    In a normal year, I might agree with you. This off-season, McDermott is quite simply not good enough. This next 18 months is huge for us, we need to go from a lottery team to a legit playoff team by the end of next trade deadline. In a normal year where all you have to do is make the moves on the margins, McDermott is a cool pickup. For a team like us that's at a fairly pivotal point for future franchise building, having McDermott as your biggest move is an abject failure.

Could this really be possible? Or is it simply somebody's wishful thinking?

https://hoopshype.com/rumor/1509536/

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    In a normal year, I might agree with you. This off-season, McDermott is quite simply not good enough. This next 18 months is huge for us, we need to go from a lottery team to a legit playoff team by the end of next trade deadline. In a normal year where all you have to do is make the moves on the margins, McDermott is a cool pickup. For a team like us that's at a fairly pivotal point for future franchise building, having McDermott as your biggest move is an abject failure.
    Yeah I didn't say any of that. I simply said this team being able to sign him wouldn't be just some "meh" insignificant move. I'm not assessing it related to the Pelicans entire off-season.

They obviously aren't going to just bring in ONE new player to the roster.

New Orleans Pelicans

Here's a scenario that makes sense for both sides. Whatever the Pelicans did this year, it wasn't enough. Every move for the next four to six years needs to be a win-now move to reinforce to Zion Williamson that they are serious about competing. Shaking it up by trading for an established player like McCollum would be very much in that category. McCollum next to Brandon Ingram with Williamson lurking is an elite offense. although it does not address the defensive problems that plagued the team this year. But Steven Adams did not help very much in that regard, either, and his contract matches perfectly with McCollum's as a 1-to-1 trade. Adams is a perfect pick-and-roll partner for Lillard, an improved version of Jusuf Nurkic (who is a free agent this summer). Portland gets a defensive-minded center to start rebuilding the defense and the Pelicans get another perimeter scorer while opening up more minutes for Williamson to play at the five........Liam McKeone

https://www.thebiglead.com/posts/bla...--01f7ehhzh3mw

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Could this really be possible? Or is it simply somebody's wishful thinking?

https://hoopshype.com/rumor/1509536/
    Well if Zion and Ingram are not happy with Stan?s way of running things then Griffin is in a tough spot because it can be a us or him issue. It wouldn?t be wise to let things play out if the players feel that strong about where team is going. There must be some smoke about him getting fired because i don?t think anyone in their right mind would assume that when he hasn?t even been coach a full year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information