Pelicans Report

Page 14 of 157 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 64 114 ... LastLast

Thread: Pels Off season thread

Make it happen

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    I like it. I posted something similar for SGA a couple weeks ago. Maybe not realistic at the moment, but it’s intriguing.

Here's one to chew on courtesy of the Bleacher Report....

New Orleans Pelicans receive: Karl-Anthony Towns and D'Angelo Russell

Minnesota Timberwolves receive: Brandon Ingram, Steven Adams, Jaxson Hayes, 2021 first-round pick (top-three protected) and 2024 or 2025 first-round pick (via LAL)

I'd do it in a heartbeat, but would T'Wolves?

````

My Take....

Depth Chart

PG: D'Angelo; Kira;
    SG: NAW; JHart (re-sign); DiDi
    SF: Fournier (Sign and Trade for Lonzo); Marshall
    PF: Zion; Gabriel
    C: KAT; H'Gomez (re-sign)

Off Load Bledsoe for best available offer (preferably size....PF)

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Here's one to chew on courtesy of the Bleacher Report....

New Orleans Pelicans receive: Karl-Anthony Towns and D'Angelo Russell

Minnesota Timberwolves receive: Brandon Ingram, Steven Adams, Jaxson Hayes, 2021 first-round pick (top-three protected) and 2024 or 2025 first-round pick (via LAL)

I'd do it in a heartbeat, but would T'Wolves?

````

My Take....

Depth Chart

PG: D'Angelo; Kira;
    SG: NAW; JHart (re-sign); DiDi
    SF: Fournier (Sign and Trade for Lonzo); Marshall
    PF: Zion; Gabriel
    C: KAT; H'Gomez (re-sign)

Off Load Bledsoe for best available offer (preferably size....PF)
    As if our defense wasn't terrible enough....

Quote Originally Posted by hornetzplaya View Post
    As if our defense wasn't terrible enough....
    So I'll put you down as a no.

The more I think about it, you are probably right. After all BI and JAXSON, as we all know, are defensive juggernauts and KAT and Russell are merely All Stars who have averaged over 20 and just under 20 respectively. And KAT has never averaged less than double digit rebounds. That's not the kind of talent we should surround Zion with. Not at all.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ver-thought-of
    Last edited by As I See It; 05-30-2021 at 03:00 AM.

My overall thinking on this offseason is that I would surround Zion and Ingram with 14 guys who are hungry, try-hards, overlooked, told they were busts/disappointments, over the hill, etc.

We have some hungry guys already. Guys dying for minutes to prove themselves - Kira, Jaxson, NAW, Didi, and Marshall. Hart is always hungry, I bring him back. I move Bledsoe and 10, but not to get a great player. Instead, I trade back with New York as they look to jump up to grab a core piece. In return, I get 19, 21, and Mavs 2023 pick. I trade 19 to another team for a far out future first, top 10 protected. And at 21, I grab Chris Duarte. I take Jeremiah Robinson-Earl with the Cavs pick and I trade the other 2nds for future 2nds. Basically, I increased my future assets for a future trade, got off Bledsoe, and got two upperclassmen who can be rotation players on their rookie contract.

I sign and trade Adams (reunites with Donovan, brings defense and culture to a team who needs it) and Iwundu for Aminu and T. Satoransky. I sign and trade Lonzo for Kennard and the Clips 2028 1st. Re-sign Willy, sign G. Dieng, and Trey Lyles

Roster:

Satoransky/Kira/Naji
    NAW/Kennard/Didi/Duarte
    Ingram/Hart
    Zion/Aminu/Lyles/J Rob-Earl
    Dieng/Hayes/Willy

Is that exciting? Nope. Full of top tier players? Nope. But go ahead and scan that roster and tell me who wont play hard around Zion and Ingram every night. Find me the guy who wont be dying to get more minutes, competing every day to be in that rotation. Show me a guy who thinks he is too good to do the dirty work and sacrifice. Basically, you do what the Grizz and Knicks did, but with better top two talent on the roster. And I also have added 3 future first rounders in the process, as the Pels would have all their picks, 2 Lakers picks, 2 Bucks, 1 Mavs, 1 Clippers, and 1 other future pick from whoever traded for 19. Plus a ton of swap rights and 2nd rounders too. Now, when the right guy comes up, I have even more ammo to go get him. Or I can go get two really great guys. Or, maybe just marginal upgrades because so many of my young guys are blossoming, that all I have to do is trade Aminu and a first for a good shooter this year. And then maybe Kennard and two firsts for a really good starter a year later.

Point is that I think Griff has failed because he went and got guys who have already tasted success and got big contracts as a result (Favors, JJ, Adams, Bledsoe). What chips did they have on their shoulder? When had they been humbled and benched like Kennard has? When were they just given up on like Aminu has been post injury? When were they called busts like Lyles? Dont go out and get more guys who have been paid and told they are good. Go get guys with chips on their shoulder and/or who have been overlooked like Willy was when we got him for a partially guaranteed minimum and he played as hard as anybody last year.

Go get all those types and lets Zion and Ingram get you buckets while everyone around them is dying to make stops, get lose balls, set screens, crash the boards, etc. And then, have tons of assets to upgrade for more talented versions of those guys. Not divas. Hungry talented guys. Thats the formula IMO
    @mcnamara247

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I wouldn’t mind a diva...who antagonizing the other team more than his own teammates and coaches. Or if he does, it’s in that Michael Jordan, Draymond Green, Chris Paul, I will beat on you until become better sort of way.

But they have to actually be good to be worth it. So yeah. Grit and grind would work well in NOLA.

...now I want grits.

Curious, flop Zion and Ingram with Ja and JJJ (who barely played this year)....what do you guys think the Grizz record would have been?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I move Bledsoe and 10, but not to get a great player. Instead, I trade back with New York as they look to jump up to grab a core piece. In return, I get 19, 21, and Mavs 2023 pick. I trade 19 to another team for a far out future first, top 10 protected. And at 21, I grab Chris Duarte. I take Jeremiah Robinson-Earl with the Cavs pick and I trade the other 2nds for future 2nds. Basically, I increased my future assets for a future trade, got off Bledsoe, and got two upperclassmen who can be rotation players on their rookie contract.
    I fully endorse this plan but that?s a huge overpay by the Knicks to move up 9 spots. Especially considering they probably have real plans with that cap space. Okc and Houston come to mind as other teams that could be interested in a trade up while taking on Bledsoe though. I don?t know Atlanta?s cap situation with Collins but I could see them being interested as well.

Curious, flop Zion and Ingram with Ja and JJJ (who barely played this year)....what do you guys think the Grizz record would have been?
    On the outside looking in. I guarantee that Point Zion wouldn't get the same results as Point Ja. Ja makes everybody better than they are....Point Zion makes everybody (including Ingram) spectators like you and me. Point Zion (individually) is a lethal threat at only one level...Point Ja is an above average threat at all three. Neither Point Zion nor BI are 50% of the defenders that Ja and JJJ are.
    Last edited by As I See It; 05-30-2021 at 11:43 AM.

Tough to say considering that it's hard to accurately predict how they fit with the rest of the team, but I'd certainly think they would be better especially considering that Jonas Valančiūnas and Dillon Brooks are better than Adams and Bledsoe. They also have other solid veteran role players while most of the role players on the Pelicans this year are inexperienced.

I would guess about 42-30, which is about 4 games better than Memphis was this year.

Most Memphis fans would trade Ja and JJJ for Zion and Ingram I'd say 8/10. They especially have not had an answer for Ingram who kills Dillon Brooks, a very good defender, almost every time.

However, I think Griff needs to do exactly what he said. Don't overreact, let the young guys to keep improving (and that includes Zion and Ingram), and just add some complimentary pieces. I'm pretty sure you can sign-and-trade Lonzo to the Knicks. Use some of their draft capital to get a good vet, or add more draft capital in future years.

The strategy takes time but it works. I don't think anyone in their right minds would rather have Brandon Clarke over Jaxson Hayes anymore. And you also keep drafting that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    I fully endorse this plan but that?s a huge overpay by the Knicks to move up 9 spots. Especially considering they probably have real plans with that cap space. Okc and Houston come to mind as other teams that could be interested in a trade up while taking on Bledsoe though. I don?t know Atlanta?s cap situation with Collins but I could see them being interested as well.
    Its not, historically. Especially if you love a guy, which this is predicated on. If they dont, then of course it is but many believe that 3rd tier ends at about 12 or 13. If they or someone else love a guy, its proper cost

Quote Originally Posted by bradael View Post
    Tough to say considering that it's hard to accurately predict how they fit with the rest of the team, but I'd certainly think they would be better especially considering that Jonas Valančiūnas and Dillon Brooks are better than Adams and Bledsoe. They also have other solid veteran role players while most of the role players on the Pelicans this year are inexperienced.

I would guess about 42-30, which is about 4 games better than Memphis was this year.
    And thats my point. You dont need to go out and get a bunch of names. Give up assets for guys with great stats. Just go get a bunch or guys who put ego aside and do whatever to win. Put your young guys in position to grow and let Ingram and Zion go nuts with the usage. That team should be able to take the next step to 45 wins. THEN you go get some real talent

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Most Memphis fans would trade Ja and JJJ for Zion and Ingram I'd say 8/10. They especially have not had an answer for Ingram who kills Dillon Brooks, a very good defender, almost every time.

However, I think Griff needs to do exactly what he said. Don't overreact, let the young guys to keep improving (and that includes Zion and Ingram), and just add some complimentary pieces. I'm pretty sure you can sign-and-trade Lonzo to the Knicks. Use some of their draft capital to get a good vet, or add more draft capital in future years.

The strategy takes time but it works. I don't think anyone in their right minds would rather have Brandon Clarke over Jaxson Hayes anymore. And you also keep drafting that way.
    Couldn’t agree more with that. Do your due diligence and search for the star player if available, but don’t go overboard and sacrifice your assets just to attempt to appease Zion. We moved picks like candy for several underwhelming pieces in the past. I think it’s time we package them together for something game changing or let the future play out. There is always the possibility we hit on another Naji or find a decent short term fit in FA this summer as well. We can’t afford to keep jumping the gun

And I agree with Mac that having energy guys around Ingram and Zion may be the ticket. We don’t lose to bad teams because they are better. We get horribly outworked on many of those nights. Spacing is a big issue, but the difference in effort is often substantial. We have some players that are quite frankly- not up for it. It’s why we often fare better against the top sides.

My biggest concern is that Griff becomes obsessed with finding a top 40/50-ish player and as he continues to get 'no's' he keeps lowering his bar on what is acceptable. I am fairly confident that Sabonis and Beal are the top targets. But I also dont believe players of that caliber will be offered up this summer. Even a guy like Jerami Grant is unlikely to be moved. So, does Griff just accept that and wait or does he take a guy he can get like a Larry Nance or a Marcus Smart and overpay for them like he did Adams? My bet is that he does that over just drafting BPA at 10 and staying patient and letting the value come to him

My biggest concern is that Griff becomes obsessed with finding a top 40/50-ish player and as he continues to get 'no's' he keeps lowering his bar on what is acceptable. I am fairly confident that Sabonis and Beal are the top targets. But I also dont believe players of that caliber will be offered up this summer. Even a guy like Jerami Grant is unlikely to be moved. So, does Griff just accept that and wait or does he take a guy he can get like a Larry Nance or a Marcus Smart and overpay for them like he did Adams? My bet is that he does that over just drafting BPA at 10 and staying patient and letting the value come to him
    I think he will do the same honestly. He hasn’t filled me with confidence thus far

Just ordered my face Larry Nance Jr jersey, comes in the mail late July
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Its not, historically. Especially if you love a guy, which this is predicated on. If they dont, then of course it is but many believe that 3rd tier ends at about 12 or 13. If they or someone else love a guy, its proper cost
    2017, Sac trades 10 to portland for 15 and 20 and most pundits considered this an 11 player draft.

You're asking for 19, 21, a future first and for them to take bledsoe, which is probably worth a another first rounder. and as far as I can see most draft analysts dont have a consensus tier after the top 4 or 5

Historically thats too much. of course there are always exceptions, Justise Winslow would have went for this in his draft. But barring for something crazy that's probably an asset too much from the Knicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    2017, Sac trades 10 to portland for 15 and 20 and most pundits considered this an 11 player draft.

You're asking for 19, 21, a future first and for them to take bledsoe, which is probably worth a another first rounder. and as far as I can see most draft analysts dont have a consensus tier after the top 4 or 5

Historically thats too much. of course there are always exceptions, Justise Winslow would have went for this in his draft. But barring for something crazy that's probably an asset too much from the Knicks.
    I know what Dallas offered to move up from 19 to 11 last year and its about what I am saying here. And yes, it was because they were in love. I admit, it would require the Knicks to be in love. Or, I can construct a similar deal with Houston. Or OKC falls in love. Admittedly, this trade would seem more fair if it was the 8th pick than the 10th, but thems the breaks

The Franchise
    I like the idea of the trade with the Knicks. If I’m using tankathon, at 19 and 21 I’d take Springer and Kai Jones. Keep building through the draft and grab high upside players. I’d sign them to 2-way deals if possible and have them do the G-league like Naji or send them overseas. Worst case they don’t do anything but they could be the cheap bench players we need. Trade all the seconds and sign and trade Lonzo for whatever but I’m drafting 2 players to keep the building going. I’m saying this because I don’t think any players we want will be available.

I just think until we can get to the playoffs, we should keep building though the draft. If we are doing good, then for the trade deadline start using those accumulated assets. Until then follow what the Grizzlies are doing

I don't think we need to do a lot.
    1. Trade Bledsoe for (?) a decent guard -he can play but he doesn't seem to be a good fit in NOLA and would be happier somewhere else.
    2. Pay Lonzo and Hart (within reason) - Lonzo wants to play in NOLA and has shown ability to work hard and improve his game - and if it doesn't work out he is tradeable down the line (so no need to freak out).
    3. Keep J Johnson
    4. Draft Kispert (or package pick with Bledsoe)
    5. Player development

Lonzo/ NAW / Kira
    ? / Kispert / Hart
    BI / Naji
    Zion / JJ
    Adams/Hayes/Billy
    Last edited by KoMikaera; 05-30-2021 at 10:25 PM.
    Just another Kiwi basking in the reflected glory of Steven Adams....bask bask...

My overall thinking on this offseason is that I would surround Zion and Ingram with 14 guys who are hungry, try-hards, overlooked, told they were busts/disappointments, over the hill, etc.

We have some hungry guys already. Guys dying for minutes to prove themselves - Kira, Jaxson, NAW, Didi, and Marshall. Hart is always hungry, I bring him back. I move Bledsoe and 10, but not to get a great player. Instead, I trade back with New York as they look to jump up to grab a core piece. In return, I get 19, 21, and Mavs 2023 pick. I trade 19 to another team for a far out future first, top 10 protected. And at 21, I grab Chris Duarte. I take Jeremiah Robinson-Earl with the Cavs pick and I trade the other 2nds for future 2nds. Basically, I increased my future assets for a future trade, got off Bledsoe, and got two upperclassmen who can be rotation players on their rookie contract.

I sign and trade Adams (reunites with Donovan, brings defense and culture to a team who needs it) and Iwundu for Aminu and T. Satoransky. I sign and trade Lonzo for Kennard and the Clips 2028 1st. Re-sign Willy, sign G. Dieng, and Trey Lyles

Roster:

Satoransky/Kira/Naji
    NAW/Kennard/Didi/Duarte
    Ingram/Hart
    Zion/Aminu/Lyles/J Rob-Earl
    Dieng/Hayes/Willy

Is that exciting? Nope. Full of top tier players? Nope. But go ahead and scan that roster and tell me who wont play hard around Zion and Ingram every night. Find me the guy who wont be dying to get more minutes, competing every day to be in that rotation. Show me a guy who thinks he is too good to do the dirty work and sacrifice. Basically, you do what the Grizz and Knicks did, but with better top two talent on the roster. And I also have added 3 future first rounders in the process, as the Pels would have all their picks, 2 Lakers picks, 2 Bucks, 1 Mavs, 1 Clippers, and 1 other future pick from whoever traded for 19. Plus a ton of swap rights and 2nd rounders too. Now, when the right guy comes up, I have even more ammo to go get him. Or I can go get two really great guys. Or, maybe just marginal upgrades because so many of my young guys are blossoming, that all I have to do is trade Aminu and a first for a good shooter this year. And then maybe Kennard and two firsts for a really good starter a year later.

Point is that I think Griff has failed because he went and got guys who have already tasted success and got big contracts as a result (Favors, JJ, Adams, Bledsoe). What chips did they have on their shoulder? When had they been humbled and benched like Kennard has? When were they just given up on like Aminu has been post injury? When were they called busts like Lyles? Dont go out and get more guys who have been paid and told they are good. Go get guys with chips on their shoulder and/or who have been overlooked like Willy was when we got him for a partially guaranteed minimum and he played as hard as anybody last year.

Go get all those types and lets Zion and Ingram get you buckets while everyone around them is dying to make stops, get lose balls, set screens, crash the boards, etc. And then, have tons of assets to upgrade for more talented versions of those guys. Not divas. Hungry talented guys. Thats the formula IMO

I can dig any suggestion that includes my boy Aminu) I hated getting rid of him and monty williams.

oh yeah, pissed me off to rid of tyson chandler only to keep T-reX Okafor (short arms)

Quote Originally Posted by KoMikaera View Post
    I don't think we need to do a lot.
    1. Trade Bledsoe for (?) a decent guard -he can play but he doesn't seem to be a good fit in NOLA and would be happier somewhere else.
    2. Pay Lonzo and Hart (within reason) - Lonzo wants to play in NOLA and has shown ability to work hard and improve his game - and if it doesn't work out he is tradeable down the line (so no need to freak out).
    3. Keep J Johnson
    4. Draft Kispert (or package pick with Bledsoe)
    5. Player development

Lonzo/ NAW / Kira
    ? / Kispert / Hart
    BI / Naji
    Zion / JJ
    Adams/Hayes/Billy

We probably will start Adams next year but I think it would be a big mistake. To be honest his contract is a mistake and starting and playing him due to it even worsens it. He simply isn't a good fit for a team who's reliant on some big arse 'point-forwards' constantly driving to the rack.

Thread Information