Pelicans Report

Page 125 of 157 FirstFirst ... 25 75 115 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 135 ... LastLast
Results 3,101 to 3,125 of 3922

Thread: Pels Off season thread

Quote Originally Posted by PelDave View Post
    On Friday, the Pelicans and Willy Hernangomez, the 27-year-old Spanish center agreed to terms on a three-year contract. The Pelicans have a team option on the final year of the deal, according to nola.com.

Good or meh?
    I ********ing love Willy so yes!

Second greatest Pelican after Jrue

Griffin you've done it again
    Last edited by AusPel; 08-06-2021 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    If Lauri is a spot up shooter off the bench, I'll take him. Bad basketball player, good shooter
    He's a 7 footer with one skill and he's already 24. Any minute given to him is a waste of minutes that could be going to Jaxson.

And I don't want him playing alongside another big just to ''space'', because he presents yet another hole in the defense to attack. I've said a bunch of times that I don't think we'll be quite as bad on defense next year as we were last, but there's only so much I can believe that if we add more god awful defenders, especially at important defensive roles like that of bigs.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by PelDave View Post
    On Friday, the Pelicans and Willy Hernangomez, the 27-year-old Spanish center agreed to terms on a three-year contract. The Pelicans have a team option on the final year of the deal, according to nola.com.

Good or meh?
    I love it. Good insurance. He played great last year and I think he did deserve this contract.
    Plus, he seems like someone who wants to be here.

There sure are a lot of assumptions and conjecture that's getting thrown around as absolute facts, today.

Also remember that history has proven there are no New Orleans Pelicans insiders. Our biggest moves are constantly broken by national media with no peep from insiders before hand.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    He's a 7 footer with one skill and he's already 24. Any minute given to him is a waste of minutes that could be going to Jaxson.

And I don't want him playing alongside another big just to ''space'', because he presents yet another hole in the defense to attack. I've said a bunch of times that I don't think we'll be quite as bad on defense next year as we were last, but there's only so much I can believe that if we add more god awful defenders, especially at important defensive roles like that of bigs.
    Yea I disagree. I think spacing is important to both Zion and Jax's development offensively, so I think he would play an important role. We need one trick ponies on this team as long as that trick is shooting

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    any Windhorst believers out there? apparently he is speculating that the Pel's "aren't done yet"..... throwing out names such as Dragic, Lauri, and Buddy.... who the heck knows?
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    any Windhorst believers out there? apparently he is speculating that the Pel's "aren't done yet"..... throwing out names such as Dragic, Lauri, and Buddy.... who the heck knows?
    That's just it. I listened to the segment. It sounded mostly like speculation and just rumors he was hearing. Maybe the rumors came from someone plugged in, but it otherwise just sounded like speculation as much as anyone else on twitter.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    Read the last page.

Gonna be interesting.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    I feel like we are gonna somehow end up with Buddy and Lauri if something happens...

Gonna be interesting.
    Both? I'd be doing backflips for just one of them.

Since when did "he's only 24" turn into "he's already 24"

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Yea I disagree. I think spacing is important to both Zion and Jax's development offensively, so I think he would play an important role. We need one trick ponies on this team as long as that trick is shooting
    Nobody disagrees that spacing is important. The question is how much are you willing to give up elsewhere to acquire, especially on a team which already has multiple high level shooters - BI and Graham - as well as a number of other guys who project well as shooters - NAW and Murphy.

This question becomes double if we were to acquire Buddy, who is arguably one of the greatest shooters of all time.

If you have a team with BI, Graham, NAW, Murphy, and Buddy on it, why would you take the downsides of Lauri on board just for the shooting? It's not like we'd be short on it.

Just saw that Toronto thinking of moving Dragic. Dallas looks to be going after him hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    Since when did "he's only 24" turn into "he's already 24"
    Only 24 is good if you are showing signs of growth and improvement, because it's still young.

Already 24 is bad if you have stagnated for literally years and actually regressed in several areas. Like, you shouldn't be finished that young. That's a bad sign.

It's like Ben Simmons. Is Ben Simmons a really good NBA player. Yeah, of course. Is it a good thing that, at 25 years old, his growth appears to have completely stalled years ago? God no.

Similar thing with Lauri. If he was 24 and had tangible development curve, I'd be more optimistic about him. But he's not, he's 24 and he's the exact same player he was 4 years ago except - in some areas - arguably a bit worse.

Nobody disagrees that spacing is important. The question is how much are you willing to give up elsewhere to acquire, especially on a team which already has multiple high level shooters - BI and Graham - as well as a number of other guys who project well as shooters - NAW and Murphy.

This question becomes double if we were to acquire Buddy, who is arguably one of the greatest shooters of all time.

If you have a team with BI, Graham, NAW, Murphy, and Buddy on it, why would you take the downsides of Lauri on board just for the shooting? It's not like we'd be short on it.
    Oh yea if we get Buddy I think it may be overkill, but that's a different story. I would rather give Lauri 20 minutes than give 20 minutes to some combo of Willy and Temple

Disagree. He just turned 24. He is basically Ryan Anderson. There is value in that at the right price.

I am admittedly talking out of my *** because I have watched very little Bulls basketball so I have nothing to go on but stats for Sato and Markkanen but defense is something that often develops later......I just don't see how a 24 year old can be judged so concretely on that. Markkanen is also quoted as wanting to leave to "get a fresh start away" so his stagnation could very well be franchise related.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Spoiled? With what? All the success we have had? With all the stars that have left? With 3 coaches in 3 years? Which is it?

I like Graham and think he will be fun to watch. I would have preferred him as a 6th man. I think JV is an improvement over Adams, but still not sure about the fit next to Zion (although has to be better than Adams). Other than that, we have to hope that NAW, Hayes and Kira significantly improve and that the team buys into Green. I really think they significantly underperformed last year and may have just quit on SVG. We still need shooters and we need front court depth. We did not get a floor leader we all thought we were going to get and that would likely have led to improvement.
    Spoiled in having two of the best players in the league, 3 All Star talents overall after trading for JV, and thinking not successfully adding FAs means we?re doomed. We have a lot to be excited about with the team that we have right now was the point. We need more backcourt depth in FA but the Pels aren?t screwed if they don?t. Fortunately Trey Murphy and Herb Jones were added through the draft so if the FA offers to depth for shooters and bigs fell through like they did, we?ll have insurance. It?s on the newly hired coaches to be able to have them and our other young players ready to be at least serviceable contributors as rookies.

We tried signing floor leaders in FA, but they didn?t accept our offers. All the team can do is move forward. Between NAW and Kira, one of them should be able to develop into that role. They need to see the floor going into their 2nd and 3rd season, instead of adding more players to play significantly ahead of them

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    I am admittedly talking out of my *** because I have watched very little Bulls basketball so I have nothing to go on but stats for Sato and Markkanen but defense is something that often develops later......I just don't see how a 24 year old can be judged so concretely on that. Markkanen is also quoted as wanting to leave to "get a fresh start away" so his stagnation could very well be franchise related.
    There is always the chance that getting out of Chicago would help snap him out of whatever rut he's in and get him developing again. My question is just how many resources and how much time are you willing to invest in the offchance that that's the case? Personally, not very much.

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfNOLA View Post
    Spoiled in having two of the best players in the league, 3 All Star talents overall after trading for JV, and thinking not successfully adding FAs means we?re doomed. We have a lot to be excited about with the team that we have right now was the point. We need more backcourt depth in FA but the Pels aren?t screwed if they don?t. Fortunately Trey Murphy and Herb Jones were added through the draft so if the FA offers to depth for shooters and bigs fell through like they did, we?ll have insurance. It?s on the newly hired coaches to be able to have them and our other young players ready to be at least serviceable contributors as rookies.

We tried signing floor leaders in FA, but they didn?t accept our offers. All the team can do is move forward. Between NAW and Kira, one of them should be able to develop into that role. They need to see the floor going into their 2nd and 3rd season, instead of adding more players to play significantly ahead of them
    Pelicans fans are not spoiled at all . The team has no stability whatsoever..no direction..FO has always been a joke..we lose every franchise player we have because of it. How are we spoiled when this team is barely a play in squad and every team in the league knows there is desperation to keep a 21 year old happy because if he leaves the team probably leaves the city..this is a crucial time for the Pelicans.

There is always the chance that getting out of Chicago would help snap him out of whatever rut he's in and get him developing again. My question is just how many resources and how much time are you willing to invest in the offchance that that's the case? Personally, not very much.
    Would certainly not use any more 1sts. A couple of 2nds is about it. I would not want to invest more than something like 3 years / $42-$45 million at most. Hopefully this late in free agency, that may be doable.

Would certainly not use any more 1sts. A couple of 2nds is about it. I would not want to invest more than something like 3 years / $42-$45 million at most. Hopefully this late in free agency, that may be doable.
    Yeah that would be a massive overpay to me. Up to $15m a year for multiple years for a coinflip's chance that someone who has thus far been really bad becomes good? Way too much.

That's more per year than Graham's getting and he's an actively good NBA player

I wouldn't give him that much. He's not on Bertans level as a shooter. Zach Collins got 3/22 and he's barely played. So somewhere between Bertans and Collins

Only 24 is good if you are showing signs of growth and improvement, because it's still young.

Already 24 is bad if you have stagnated for literally years and actually regressed in several areas. Like, you shouldn't be finished that young. That's a bad sign.

It's like Ben Simmons. Is Ben Simmons a really good NBA player. Yeah, of course. Is it a good thing that, at 25 years old, his growth appears to have completely stalled years ago? God no.

Similar thing with Lauri. If he was 24 and had tangible development curve, I'd be more optimistic about him. But he's not, he's 24 and he's the exact same player he was 4 years ago except - in some areas - arguably a bit worse.
    I disagree with this entirely.

Memphis just traded Grayson Allen to Bucks for 2nd round pick. Wonder who they are making room for in our trade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information