Pelicans Report

Page 116 of 157 FirstFirst ... 16 66 106 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 126 ... LastLast
Results 2,876 to 2,900 of 3922

Thread: Pels Off season thread

We need to remind ourselves that Griff's plan has always been to trade for a superstar in the summer of 2022. I know it seems like we need to speed up that timeline because of Zion, but as long as we make thee playoffs this year we are fine. Just don't add bad contracts that you can't move down the line. Maintain your flexibility, and add guys on short contracts that compliment Zion and BI. That's the goal today. Don't over pay and don't lose flexibility down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    We need to remind ourselves that Griff's plan has always been to trade for a superstar in the summer of 2022. I know it seems like we need to speed up that timeline because of Zion, but as long as we make thee playoffs this year we are fine. Just don't add bad contracts that you can't move down the line. Maintain your flexibility, and add guys on short contracts that compliment Zion and BI. That's the goal today. Don't over pay and don't lose flexibility down the line.
    Don't know if it has ever been specifically 2022. It has been "when available." Heck, he tried hard to get Beal with the #4 as a center piece when we made the AD trade, but Washington had no interest. Had the opportunity come up this offseason, he obviously would hav done it.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    How do we know that’s his plan? Considering, he hasn’t made one move we all think makes sense... I’m just curious. If he can’t get anyone to sign, how is he going to trade for a superstar and get them to stay? Not to mention he has given up his draft choices, which limits his ability to trade even more.
    Last edited by Fedupfan; 08-05-2021 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Don't know if it has ever been specifically 2022. It has been "when available." Heck, he tried hard to get Beal with the #4 as a center piece when we made the AD trade, but Washington had no interest. Had the opportunity come up this offseason, he obviously would hav done it.
    I have it on decent authority that 2022-2023 was the goal. Of course, if something comes up before, you sniff around.

Yeah. I mean, it's a good plan. BI would be 24, Zion 22......our other young players would be coming of age, too. But when did it get leaked that it was THE plan?

I'd also make the argument that the Superstar plan is not our best course of action. Look at the Bucks. If we envision Zion as our Giannis and BI as our Middleton (I know they aren't exact matches, just loose correlation) then we're looking more for a Jrue and solid players to put around them as opposed to a Lillard or Beal.

It's hard to compare Zion and BI to CP3 and Booker but even on that roster, they're not rolling out with three superstar scorers. That's why I was so high on Lonzo. He is on a course to be that Jrue. The problem with Lonzo is he probably still sees himself as the #1 or #2.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Yeah. I mean, it's a good plan. BI would be 24, Zion 22......our other young players would be coming of age, too. But when did it get leaked that it was THE plan?

I'd also make the argument that the Superstar plan is not our best course of action. Look at the Bucks. If we envision Zion as our Giannis and BI as our Middleton (I know they aren't exact matches, just loose correlation) then we're looking more for a Jrue and solid players to put around them as opposed to a Lillard or Beal.

It's hard to compare Zion and BI to CP3 and Booker but even on that roster, they're not rolling out with three superstar scorers. That's why I was so high on Lonzo. He is on a course to be that Jrue. The problem with Lonzo is he probably still sees himself as the #1 or #2.
    I guess I'm leaking it on here right now. I've said it a few times before. Have some buddies that work for the Pels and other teams. I don't think it's any big secret

Man... I hope we don't waste that 1st hoping to expand this trade and it never happens

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Man... I hope we don't waste that 1st hoping to expand this trade and it never happens
    That's definitely the worry I have

If Griff did actually light two firsts on fire only to bring in Graham and lose Lonzo for basically nothing, that would be a fireable offense imo. Not saying he should be fired, but that how bad of a screw up that would be. Trying to remain positive but we have about 12 hours.

It should be evident that expanding trades is losing steam at this point and is likely to be nonexistent. It essentially allowed local media and fan bases to have something to talk about. I do hope I am wrong.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    I’m bracing for the woj tweet that says the Grizzlies/Pelicans trade has been finalized. It’s coming, and it’s going to be so sad.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    David Griffin is toxic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    I’m bracing for the woj tweet that says the Grizzlies/Pelicans trade has been finalized. It’s coming, and it’s going to be so sad.
    Cant be official until tomorrow at noon, so we have 22 more hours left to hope
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Cant be official until tomorrow at noon, so we have 22 more hours left to hope
    #FREEQUAIL

If Griff did actually light two firsts on fire only to bring in Graham and lose Lonzo for basically nothing, that would be a fireable offense imo. Not saying he should be fired, but that how bad of a screw up that would be. Trying to remain positive but we have about 12 hours.
    I think the worst scenario is that we get the 8th seed and get swept. No picks. Griff probably saves his job.

I still see this team as a lottery squad. So, I think we'll be fine. Just more course correcting/subtraction ... And not much building.

As long as Josh Hart remains a free agent, I have hope that we're working something out. If he either signs takes the QO or re-signs, I think that's it for the offseason.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Conroy View Post
    Lol well placed

As long as Josh Hart remains a free agent, I have hope that we're working something out. If he either signs takes the QO or re-signs, I think that's it for the offseason.
    Once the trades become official, having Hart's rights to sign and trade him become much less valuable. Right now, we can add him to the Memphis trade and take on 25+ million. Once those trades become complete, he would basically count as an outgoing salary of 5 mil. And cant be paired with Sato. You are talking about going from dozens of possibilities to very, very few once those trades become official

Once the trades become official, having Hart's rights to sign and trade him become much less valuable. Right now, we can add him to the Memphis trade and take on 25+ million. Once those trades become complete, he would basically count as an outgoing salary of 5 mil. And cant be paired with Sato. You are talking about going from dozens of possibilities to very, very few once those trades become official
    Yea I meant between now and the completion of the Memphis deal

Again, maybe the Buddy deal isnt out there. Maybe taking on Bertans isnt worth it. I get all that. But take on Lamb or Looney and Laymen for a few 2nds and have a few more expirings for January and February. Doing nothing, and basically allowing what is a massive exception to expire would be indefensible to me

I always give the benefit of the doubt and say "If I know this, they must" but honestly sometimes I wonder with this front office. Like, no other FO would have given positive value for Adams last year. No other one would have put themselves so close to the lux tax by doing that and not sending to the Warriors when they could have. Could have gotten a high 2nd, the ability to use their MLE, and overall flexibility.

Like, just the dumbest things done time and time again and I truly wonder how they get to the decisions they get to. And the explanations I have been given via 3rd parties are some of the hokiest, fortune cookie things I have ever heard.

Again, maybe the Buddy deal isnt out there. Maybe taking on Bertans isnt worth it. I get all that. But take on Lamb or Looney and Laymen for a few 2nds and have a few more expirings for January and February. Doing nothing, and basically allowing what is a massive exception to expire would be indefensible to me

I always give the benefit of the doubt and say "If I know this, they must" but honestly sometimes I wonder with this front office. Like, no other FO would have given positive value for Adams last year. No other one would have put themselves so close to the lux tax by doing that and not sending to the Warriors when they could have. Could have gotten a high 2nd, the ability to use their MLE, and overall flexibility.

Like, just the dumbest things done time and time again and I truly wonder how they get to the decisions they get to. And the explanations I have been given via 3rd parties are some of the hokiest, fortune cookie things I have ever heard.
    If they finalize the deal as is, do we not get a TPE?

Well, the Griff press conference starting to makes sense with him just vaguely talking in circles. Just a bunch of bs.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    If they finalize the deal as is, do we not get a TPE?
    It would be much smaller. In the 6-9 mil range, depending on exactly how things are sent into the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Referring to the players who actually create the value in the league as ''lunatics'' running the asylum, as if the people doing the work shouldn't have some degree of say in how their own working conditions are organised and how their own contracts are set up, is absurd.
    Yes they should have some say in working conditions and contracts but players have had far too much control of the league for yrs. That is the cause of the imbalance in parity we have now . It takes a fluke like we saw this past season to have small market teams in the finals , not so in the NFL. EVERY team has just as much chance to win a championship. That's why they are #1 and and the NBA is a distant 3rd

At least we know tomorrow at noon is when all of this speculation will end? I'm looking forward to that.

Thread Information