Pelicans Report

Page 113 of 157 FirstFirst ... 13 63 103 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 123 ... LastLast
Results 2,801 to 2,825 of 3922

Thread: Pels Off season thread

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    What would the mood be on here if all we did to close out free agency was matched Josh Hart and brought Willy on a vet min? I would be down baddddd
    That would be unforgivable IMO. Not because I think Griff needs to go get good players to make us as good as possible this year, but because he would be wasting the Memphis trade. At the very least, take on some expiring contracts teams dont want into it. Go get Jeremy Lamb and a 2nd from Indy. Or Jake Laymen and Hernangomez from the Wolves, or Derrick Jones Jr from the Blazers. Several teams want to dump and you try to get a pick for taking them, but even if you cant, you add expirings for when the market opens back up in January.

Doing nothing else would be malpractice and I know I will crush him for it - almost as badly as I crushed him for Adams last year
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    From 2 days ago. Jackson may be a target.

https://www.si.com/nba/clippers/news...-from-pelicans
    Article says Pels can offer significantly more than $10 million a year to Jackson. I hope not, at least not on a multi-year deal.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Article says Pels can offer significantly more than $10 million a year to Jackson. I hope not, at least not on a multi-year deal.
    Hopefully it would be just enough to get him to sign and nothing more. More than they can offer though.

Also, I would welcome having Jackson and Graham for a bit more than we would have had to pay Lonzo next season. I don't like losing the pic but I still thiknk having 2 good shooters is better than what Lonzo was bringing.
    Last edited by P_B_&_G; 08-04-2021 at 09:14 PM.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    He’s gonna need to pull a rabbit out of his hat. Because the fact that we were throwing some really fat contracts and none of them said yes with the things we had going forward us really suggests that Griffin is doing the one thing that dooms any salesman: pitching out of desperation.

No one responds well to it and the most malicious will seek to just take advantage and screw your over.

Again, maybe he saves it…but I don’t trust the fool and it pains me he’s got the keys to the ride. And I’m really concerned about the level above him because the organization wasn’t in better hands after all. Deep pockets, empty vision? Do what a competent organization appears to need? Big fancy facility?

We shall see where things lead. Because this has been a whelming off-season. And I like Graham a good bit.

Or the NBA world views New Orleans like a 3rd world country and give it a wide berth when it comes to living here. Or something not nearly so dramatic.

Quote Originally Posted by djrnno View Post
    I beg to differ. The NBA more than any other other team pro sports league is run by the players. I hardly think they have the betterment of the league as their first priority. They either care about about the BAG or going to a super team in a big market to chase the ring. Don't see many super teams in the NFL. Last season was a fluke, and it was so refreshing to have 2 smaller market teams in the finals
    Referring to the players who actually create the value in the league as ''lunatics'' running the asylum, as if the people doing the work shouldn't have some degree of say in how their own working conditions are organised and how their own contracts are set up, is absurd.
    Basketball.

I believe that was prior to the Graham trade. I don’t believe we could offer that anymore without getting off Sato

I would love this move. I think with what’s left in FA he is the best fit as our starting PG with Graham coming off the bench next to Kira. With Ingram and Zion we don’t need a 10 assists per game PG. We need one who is capable of creating for others while being very good at scoring and creating their own shot. On top of that his 3pt is above 40%. He’s just 30 years old and further removed from injuries. He also played with a lineup that is similar to ours in a way having 2 star wings and he thrived. A healthy Reggie Jackson makes us a dangerous team IMO.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 08-04-2021 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    In 2015, the NBA and Delta Air Lines Inc struck a deal in which 27 of the 30 NBA teams would be carried by their chartered jets specifically fitted out to host NBA players.

We are those 27 teams. So, pump the brakes on team hospitality issues.

Would of been nice to get a private charter... Sure. But it's Summer League and maybe scheduling a plane wasn't working in their favor in NOLA. Again... It's a no issue.
    That's a really impressive and obscure knowledge nugget.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Deliver us Hield. We shall take him off your hands, all you have to add is one top 5 protected FRP. Doesn't have to be much. We're not going to rob you. Give us the all-time great shooter to pair with Zion and Devonte and Ingram and NAW and Jax and Kira.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I dont know how much you can blame Griffen by all accounts the Pelicans have made some huge offers to the top FA targets. What else do you want him to do, all he can do is offer to overpay he cant force an all star to come here.

I know it's popular to kind of pile on Buddy cause of his deficiencies, and he definitely has them, but he really is just flat out historically great as a shooter. There's really no argument otherwise. The combination of volume and accuracy is truly astounding.

Last season he shot 39.1% from 3 on 10.2 attempts per game.
    The year before that, 39.4% on 9.6 per game.
    The year before that, 43% on 8 per game.
    The year before that 43% on 5.1 per game.

39.1% is his career low in 3pt%. On 10.2 a game.

He's made at least 270 threes in three consecutive seasons at this point. The number of seasons all time where someone has made at least 270 threes on 39% is 13.

Steph Curry has 6 of them. Buddy has 3. Lillard has 2. Klay and Duncan Robinson both have 1.

If he can pull off Reggie Jackson and Ingles or Bodogavich I'll be a happy clam.

Ingles is the dream but I just have intense scepticism about it. Buddy on the other hand, at least feels achievable: we know his relationship with the Kings has been rocky, we have actual reports that they are trying to move him in particular, etc.

Bring him home, man.

Also to have people have to try and defend Zion by cheating off Ingram, Graham, and Buddy is just hilarious on a huge number of different levels. So many ways to die, choose one.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    I dont know how much you can blame Griffen by all accounts the Pelicans have made some huge offers to the top FA targets. What else do you want him to do, all he can do is offer to overpay he cant force an all star to come here.
    Just a thought, but knowing how much players communicate with each other, you wonder if JJ Redick poisoned the well? He's been in the league a long time, so a lot of players would take what he says into consideration.

This team should have never gotten rid of Buddy in the first place. Such a dumb nice especially for a team that needed is skill set at the SG position badly. Had we gotten something nice in return then ok maybe so but we did it for near nothing.

Adding Buddy to our team would be awesome! Watching these highlights shows he’s the exact skill set we need with Ingram and Zion. Having another scoring option like Buddy with our guys we like be great!

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=buddy%20hi...%3D-_Hr_AUmWP8
    Buddy Highlights
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 08-04-2021 at 11:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Ingles is the dream but I just have intense scepticism about it. Buddy on the other hand, at least feels achievable: we know his relationship with the Kings has been rocky, we have actual reports that they are trying to move him in particular, etc.

Bring him home, man.

Also to have people have to try and defend Zion by cheating off Ingram, Graham, and Buddy is just hilarious on a huge number of different levels. So many ways to die, choose one.
    Do you think Buddy is enough or do you think we need him and another guard?
    Last edited by PELSGIRL; 08-04-2021 at 11:40 PM.

I think going from being able to match 4/85 for Lonzo to trading assets for Hield at 3/60 is kinda a lateral move in terms of overall production. Maybe slight dropoff in defense and slight bump in 3 point shooting.

If he's the only option, I'm on the fence, so long as the price is close to free, or better yet... Kings being willing to attach assets to get rid of him. I'm not quite sure where Hield is currently in his mindset. His production dropped off a fair amount after signing that contract. The last thing I'd want is to be stuck with a 3/60 deal with another Bledsoe type in terms of not caring.

Quote Originally Posted by bradael View Post
    I think going from being able to match 4/85 for Lonzo to trading assets for Hield at 3/60 is kinda a lateral move in terms of overall production. Maybe slight dropoff in defense and slight bump in 3 point shooting.

If he's the only option, I'm on the fence, so long as the price is close to free, or better yet... Kings being willing to attach assets to get rid of him. I'm not quite sure where Hield is currently in his mindset. His production dropped off a fair amount after signing that contract. The last thing I'd want is to be stuck with a 3/60 deal with another Bledsoe type in terms of not caring.
    I mean, it's no secret that Buddy hasn't been happy in Sacramento. He had to fight tooth and nail for the Kings to give him that contract in the first place, and despite turning in two consecutive all-time shooting seasons since then he's only found himself shoved more and more into a marginal role. I think it would do him good to get out of Sacramento.

I think comparing Hield's contract to Lonzo's is kinda besides the point since they play entirely different roles and, as you yourself pointed out, Buddy's deal is shorter. Buddy's deal is also declining in pay each year, which I think makes it slightly more attractive to those who are sceptical about his production. As for a slight bump in 3 point shooting, with all due respect, it's more than that. Lonzo, for all of his improvements - which were real! - as a shooter was still pretty much just a catch and shoot guy from a stationary catch. Buddy is all time as a shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by PELSGIRL View Post
    Do you think Buddy is enough or do you think we need him and another guard?
    Well I've said before that I'd be totally fine if we just went into the season with what we have. So adding Buddy is just a bonus, if we can do it. Otherwise just go forward as we are and see what happens - I think we're better off than we were this time last year.

Quote Originally Posted by bradael View Post

They are completely different players. Buddy is a much better fit for what we need alongside Ingram and Zion. I’m a fan of Lonzo and would have liked to have him return. There is nothing similar between the two and with Buddy we know what he is while he also offers the closest skill set to what we are looking for. Lonzo is still a few years away from being his best self where he is worth the $ he is getting paid where I think Buddy is right in the heart of his prime with the next 3 years likely being his best getting maximum value out of him. Not to mention how much he should benefit with our lineup and new system. Buddy taking set up shots almost exclusively like Lonzo would have him shooting 45% from 3pt. His ability to not only spot up but be able to create for himself form deep at just about anytime is crucial when in the playoffs.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 08-04-2021 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    Just a thought, but knowing how much players communicate with each other, you wonder if JJ Redick poisoned the well? He's been in the league a long time, so a lot of players would take what he says into consideration.
    It definitely feels like that played some kind of a role into why FA deals were not finalized after they were offered. **** move by Reddick to criticize Griffin and the organization just before the offseason of clearing a ton of cap space and attempting to add pieces onto Zion and Ingram in FA. I feel like he made sure his words got in the way of the teams offseason plans of finally building a consistent winning team via FA help just because he didnt get his way to be traded to BKN and have a last chance at getting a championship ring giftwrapped to him from playing with KD, Harden, & Kyrie.

No one has been trying to seriously sign Reddick in FA. I think he knew he wasn’t going to get much of any interest in FA at his age so he tried his damnedest to make Griffin & FO look horrible in player relations for not catering to him.
    Last edited by SonOfNOLA; 08-05-2021 at 12:09 AM.

If the Pels are looking at something like....

Josh Hart and Sato for Buddy and ? ,
    maybe sign Reggie Jackson ?
    resign Hernangomez

I could live with that, fun team to watch, should be competative.
    It's that the Hornets unashamedly quit so quickly in Game 4 after fans in New Orleans showed up this season with greater regularity than the team could have ever dreamed, shaming misinformed know-it-alls like me who kept telling you that local residents couldn't possibly invest their time and money into something as trivial as rooting for the local basketball team while still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. - Mark Stien ESPN

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Trade:

PELS receive Damien Lillard

Blazers receive: Ingram, NAW, Kira, Sato and 3 first round picks and 2 second round picks

Then we sign Reggie Jackson, Oubre and Willy

Lillard
    Graham
    Oubre
    Zion
    Jonas

BACKUPS:
    Jackson
    Didi
    Hayes
    Naji
    Temple