Pelicans Report

Page 98 of 157 FirstFirst ... 48 88 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 108 148 ... LastLast
Results 2,426 to 2,450 of 3922

Thread: Pels Off season thread

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

LA really going in on hard on their ''this is our last season to really do this'' mode.

They've signed like 6 guys over the age of 33 to 1 year deals Just gunning for it all
    They have filled in with some nice pieces though on minimum deals.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    I feel like they're going through their "red giant" phase right before they burnout and become a white dwarf...
    It's kind of funny because between AD/Lebron/Dwight/KCP/Bradley/Caruso/Javale, their championship team had a pretty mediocre offense (11th in the NBA) but an elite defense (3rd in the NBA, and it got better and better as the year went on).

The roster they've put together now, between Wayne Ellington/Carmelo/Monk/Westbrook/Bazemore is just entirely the opposite

I think they have Wes Matthews still, and between Lebron, AD, Matthews, and Vogel being a good defensive coach they'll probably still be okay, but their core identity is just a complete 180.
    Basketball.

It's kind of funny because between AD/Lebron/Dwight/KCP/Bradley/Caruso/Javale, their championship team had a pretty mediocre offense (11th in the NBA) but an elite defense (3rd in the NBA, and it got better and better as the year went on).

The roster they've put together now, between Wayne Ellington/Carmelo/Monk/Westbrook/Bazemore is just entirely the opposite

I think they have Wes Matthews still, and between Lebron, AD, Matthews, and Vogel being a good defensive coach they'll probably still be okay, but their core identity is just a complete 180.
    Right. I wouldn't be surprised to see them compete for a championship again this year. I'm really curious to see where this team goes after Lebron retires. They don't have a ton of assets to restock with.

Right. I wouldn't be surprised to see them compete for a championship again this year. I'm really curious to see where this team goes after Lebron retires. They don't have a ton of assets to restock with.
    Well ideally it's sell AD for a ransom but I'm sure they'll be able to lure some free agents

The Lakers never make moves with the future in mind. It's all about the present with them. It's their identity throughout their existence.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Old just got older!!! Carmelo signs with the Lakers.
    Carmelo 37
    LaLa: 36
    Gasol: 36
    Ariza: 36
    Howard: 35
    Ellington: 33
    Westbrook: 32
    Bazemore: 32

...and we are a bunch of young 'uns who have trouble growing facial hair.
    Last edited by As I See It; 08-03-2021 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snarly View Post
    The Lakers never make moves with the future in mind. It's all about the present with them. It's their identity throughout their existence.
    With any luck, that will catch up with them when Lebron retires, then those later year draft picks become worth something for us.

They're going to live at the rim this year imo. They have some pieces, we'll see how it comes together. Could be a good year for them though

They're going to live at the rim this year imo. They have some pieces, we'll see how it comes together. Could be a good year for them though
    There's a lot of mileage on dem der' tires. Primed for a blowout somewhere along the line!!

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    There's a lot of mileage on dem der' tires. Primed for a blowout somewhere along the line!!
    Definitely a possibility. One of those things where if everyone stays healthy and it all clicks, it could be a championship team: if one thing goes wrong, they could be an absolute mess. And there's a lot of room for things to go wrong.

This off-season is very interesting. I think I’m just content with maybe a 3 point shooting vet and a backup big. Hopefully we can get more picks some way bc it’s obvious the only way the Pels land huge talent is through the draft at this point. We certainly won’t get it in FA or through trades.

3yrs/$85m
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 08-03-2021 at 03:06 PM.

Now we need another 2 guard and a backup 4 unless they gonna play Graham off guard. Stinks that both Olynyk & Bjelica have signed cause I was hoping to get one of those two. I like Markkanen, but he would likely get starter money. Maybe Markief Morris would be a decent addition. We need someone that can stretch the floor IMO.

Off Guards available are Oladipo, Nunn, Horton-Tucker, Danny Green, Forbes, Lou Williams, & Terence Davis

Forgot about our guy Josh Hart. Kelly Oubre but he’s more of a 3.
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 08-03-2021 at 03:11 PM.

3yrs/$85m
    Young, a 1st and 2 2nds from the Bulls. Griffin not looking good here when he only got Sato, a 2nd and had to pay Temple to get him for the Bulls top choice in free agency.

3yrs/$85m
    That's either going to look pretty good or very ugly. Not sure Lonzo is going to be getting the ball as often as he had hoped when he signed there yesterday. Will be interesting to see if he quickly accepts his role as a 3&D player or asks to be traded elsewhere if things don't go very well early on.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Then, where was you when everyone was asking about that weird tweet about Trey and Herb Jones before the draft...where it told us they we are looking into Trey and Herb Jones specifically for our Birmingham G League team before the draft.
    The whole scenario seems hilariously far-fetched. Let's think about the potential payoff her. How much hype do you really think the FO would be able to drum up with draft picks? do we think that now all of our g-league games will be sold out and jerseys will sell like hotcakes? Highly doubt that. So then what does the FO stand to gain. Like a couple of thousand dollars over the course of the season? maybe we sell an extra 250 tickets that we otherwise wouldn't have sold. maybe we sell an extra 50 jerseys we wouldn't have sold. It's the G-LEAGUE. Nobody is going to care either way. It would just be a hilariously short-sighted and stupid move with virtually nothing to gain. Do we think the FO is also planning on buying all the soda's in New Orleans in order to scrap the cans for 5 cents each? Even if you believe the people in charge are soulless ghouls that only mean to extract as much money out of fans as possible, it would still be a dumb move, I don't buy it.

Wish we could of got Coby White in that sign & trade. The Bulls look better

C: Vucevic
    PF: Williams
    SF: DeRozan
    SG: Lavine
    PG: Lonzo
    6th: White

The context of the deal is not hard to see. DeRozen was going to go to Miami unless he was massively overpaid. Chicago had to overpay him so that the S&T would be possible. Chicago didn't have space.to sign him outright. The Spurs wasn't going to facilitate the S&T for nothing. They rather lose him for nothing if Chicago would t give up assets. They were in position of leverage.

I'm not sure Griff was ever in that type of position with Ball. It didn't seem like there were other suitors for him at 4/84m. Well that was me trying to rationalize it.

Hall of Famer Contributor pjk481's Avatar
    I'm wondering if the opportunity Mac referenced isn't somehow tied to helping out the Clippers facilitate a S&T for someone they want, but don't have space to acquire. Between the Bulls and Memphis trades and our fringe contracts (Gabriel/Wes) we can take back a ton of salary.

We could be the prime "3rd" (cuz this trade could end up at 5 or 6 teams in end) that helps Clips facilitate and take back some solid bench players to relieve their cap (Ibaka/Kennard/S&T Jackson?) while helping them get the player they want and send them a decent replacement role player in Sato back

We'd still then have Hard to S&T or bring back.
    Last edited by pjk481; 08-03-2021 at 03:25 PM.

The fact that we haven’t heard anything on the Josh Hart front signifies that we’re working on a sign and trade, imo. Interested to see who it’s for

Quote Originally Posted by Snarly View Post
    The context of the deal is not hard to see. DeRozen was going to go to Miami unless he was massively overpaid. Chicago had to overpay him so that the S&T would be possible. Chicago didn't have space.to sign him outright. The Spurs wasn't going to facilitate the S&T for nothing. They rather lose him for nothing if Chicago would t give up assets. They were in position of leverage.

I'm not sure Griff was ever in that type of position with Ball. It didn't seem like there were other suitors for him at 4/84m. Well that was me trying to rationalize it.
    It is to the Spurs advantage to make it a S&T rather than letting him walk. They get a TPE.

No matter who tries to slice it, we weren't going to get anything close to this kind of deal for Zo. Chicago was probably the only team that was head over heels for him so we took the best trade offered from them

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Young, a 1st and 2 2nds from the Bulls. Griffin not looking good here when he only got Sato, a 2nd and had to pay Temple to get him for the Bulls top choice in free agency.
    Exactly, we couldn’t even get a 1st????

Quote Originally Posted by jawznola View Post
    Would have been nice to either get White or get a 1st to make up for the one we sent the Hornets for Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by jawznola View Post
    Sure it would've been nice. But I can guarantee there was no team willing to offer a first for Zo

Thread Information