Pelicans Report

Page 153 of 157 FirstFirst ... 53 103 143 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 LastLast
Results 3,801 to 3,825 of 3922

Thread: Pels Off season thread

Quote Originally Posted by PaKwAn View Post
    As long as the team starts winning and be in the playoffs alot of the issues this team has will start to fade. I get that we have been getting some bad news but its not as bad as it really is.
    I agree. I get the concern, and there's definitely reasons for it, but most of the concern isn't new: Zion and his camp are unhappy with us losing shouldn't be a shock to anyone. Zion is a threat to leave unless things change - again, not a shock to anyone. These are things we all accepted the moment he was drafted. We knew we had to become a winning team by the end of his rookie deal if we wanted any hope of him staying and that's still true.

There's all this concern now about Zion being unhappy, about how bad our roster is (it's not that bad, but the national media is terrible at these things), about Griff failing to build a contender. If we get to Christmas and the team is 25-9, I don't think anyone will be talking about any of this winning cures almost all wounds. Meanwhile, if we get to Christmas and the team is 14-20, the heat will turn up even further.
    Basketball.

https://twitter.com/FTLTPhilly/statu...13365588889600

If the Minny Deal is Ben Simmons for Dlo and picks. It is by far infinitely worse than Indy or Toronto deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    https://twitter.com/FTLTPhilly/statu...13365588889600

If the Minny Deal is Ben Simmons for Dlo and picks. It is by far infinitely worse than Indy or Toronto deal.
    What are the reported proposed deals.

averaging about 16 pts, 8 rebs, and 8 asts per game, I could see Ben Simmons at point for pelicans with those stats And defense out front. Vinson can improve his free throws, and NAW, Devonte, and Murphy and Ingram can shoot 3's. That's a strong contender! we only need a point guard

Quote Originally Posted by clark griswald View Post
    averaging about 16 pts, 8 rebs, and 8 asts per game, I could see Ben Simmons at point for pelicans with those stats And defense out front. Vinson can improve his free throws, and NAW, Devonte, and Murphy and Ingram can shoot 3's. That's a strong contender! we only need a point guard
    I could live with this, too. But the price would HAVE to be right. In my eyes, he's a poor man's Magic Johnson. Magic was not a great shooter (though he could knock down free throws at an elite pace), but he was an absolute winner and playmaker.
    Last edited by As I See It; 09-26-2021 at 03:54 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Even so, what could you trade to make the money work, and what compensation would you be comfortable giving up?

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    Even so, what could you trade to make the money work, and what compensation would you be comfortable giving up?
    I would trade Jonas, Sato, and Kira (or Hart) straight up for Simmons. With Simmons in fold for four years, Sato and Kira/Hart would be redundant and Jonas is only a one year rental who will likely be traded at mid-year anyways. I'm relatively certain that the 76'ers would want more, but there is certainly an avenue to get it done.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yj9q35qq

Simmons' attitude and behaviors concern me more than on the court or what we would have to trade. Simmons and BI would fit together nicely. I would try to stagger Simmons and Zion's minutes as much as possible but even a lineup with Simmons, BI, Murphy, Zion, and one other 3pt floor spacer would be great. On the court, we would need to get some more 3 and D guys, but I like it.

What scares me about Simmons is off the court and that attitude. Even if that article didn't come out, this season was going to be all about trying to get our team that didn't buy in last season to buy in this season. I have faith in Green and his ability to do that. Even with the article I think Green can get this team playing for eachother and with passion and that Zion will buy into that as well.....but throw Simmons into the mix and we might be creating a situation that even Green can't fix.

That is assuming a lot about the personality of someone I've never met.... but the way Simmons is handling the Sixers has me thinking he could rot the locker room here.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Simmons has some very high level skills, but also a bunch of enormous deficiencies that make using him to his full potential difficult. It's no doubt that he's an excellent ball-handler in the full court, and that he's an elite perimeter defender. Those are both assured.

But he has almost no offensive capacity in the half-court, either on or off ball, can't shoot, can't shoot FTs, and yet doesn't provide the rim protection he would require to be used as a small-ball big. It's a big issue.

If we didn't have Zion, I'd be extremely interested, but Zion is already a better player than Simmons is and I find it very difficult to imagine constructing lineups in which you could functionally play both of them without hampering either dramatically.

The Franchise
    I think if the price is right, you give it a shot. If it doesn’t work trade him at the deadline or off-season. If we can improve his trade value we could really upgrade with some youth later in the year like Wiggins and Kuminga. If Zion or BI end up wanting out. Grab some more picks and young studs. Now I’m not saying go trade everyone but I think we need to be ready to act just in case. I’d love to keep everyone but if a guy doesn’t want to be here then don’t let the door hit ya, but need value in return and it has to happen before it gets out to the media.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    I would trade Jonas, Sato, and Kira (or Hart) straight up for Simmons. With Simmons in fold for four years, Sato and Kira/Hart would be redundant and Jonas is only a one year rental who will likely be traded at mid-year anyways. I'm relatively certain that the 76'ers would want more, but there is certainly an avenue to get it done.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yj9q35qq
    I could get on board with that. They'd also want at least 2 first round picks in addition. Would you add that too?

We should go after Kyrie Irving.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post

What scares me about Simmons is off the court and that attitude. Even if that article didn't come out, this season was going to be all about trying to get our team that didn't buy in last season to buy in this season. I have faith in Green and his ability to do that. Even with the article I think Green can get this team playing for eachother and with passion and that Zion will buy into that as well.....but throw Simmons into the mix and we might be creating a situation that even Green can't fix.
    or did you mean...

What scares me about Zion is off the court and that attitude. Even if that article didn't come out, this season was going to be all about trying to get our team, that didn't buy in last season, to buy in this season. I have faith in Green and his ability to do that. Even with the article, I think Green can get this team playing for each other, and with passion, and that most of the team will buy into that as well.....but throw Zion into the mix and we might be creating a situation that even Green can't fix.

You words are, indeed apt without Simmons.

Ha! Yeah it would fit.

But what I said is exactly what I meant. I think we currently have a young mix Green can embolden. We have a total bought in star with Ingram, some fun young guys in Kira, NAW, Hayes, and Naji. Some well rounded work ethic guys like Murphy and Sato and Temple also bring the exp. Not really sure what JV's personality is like but Hart and Graham are fun. You have a guy in Green that is supposed to be absolutely loved and respected. And legendary voice in D'Antoni....Swin....Vinson....that's a really young, energetic, and fun atmosphere. That's powerful enough to rope in a young guy like Zion. ESPECIALLY if we start winning. The gravity of that locker room is a more powerful force than mopey Zion.

Throw in a mopey Simmons and all of a sudden....two sullen super stars would have more of a gravitational pull than all of that other stuff.

Again, this is a lot of assumptions about people I don't know. Maybe Simmons only has beef with the Sixers and won't pull this ish in NOLA. Maybe Zion isn't as mopey as we think. But from the tea leaves I'm reading, one mopey superstar will be way easier to cheer up than two.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Ha! Yeah it would fit.

But what I said is exactly what I meant. I think we currently have a young mix Green can embolden. We have a total bought in star with Ingram, some fun young guys in Kira, NAW, Hayes, and Naji. Some well rounded work ethic guys like Murphy and Sato and Temple also bring the exp. Not really sure what JV's personality is like but Hart and Graham are fun. You have a guy in Green that is supposed to be absolutely loved and respected. And legendary voice in D'Antoni....Swin....Vinson....that's a really young, energetic, and fun atmosphere. That's powerful enough to rope in a young guy like Zion. ESPECIALLY if we start winning. The gravity of that locker room is a more powerful force than mopey Zion.

Throw in a mopey Simmons and all of a sudden....two sullen super stars would have more of a gravitational pull than all of that other stuff.

Again, this is a lot of assumptions about people I don't know. Maybe Simmons only has beef with the Sixers and won't pull this ish in NOLA. Maybe Zion isn't as mopey as we think. But from the tea leaves I'm reading, one mopey superstar will be way easier to cheer up than two.
    I don't know. It would be difficult for me to pass on a 25 year old, perennial All Star, who, at 6'10" and 230 pounds, plays the point like a 6'3" water bug. And, his play, to date, has been almost Springfield-worthy. On top of outstanding playmaking and above average rebounding, he offers this team something it sorely needs---ELITE DEFENSE. If you are a Josh Hart fan, you'd love Ben Simmons.

Absolutely. On the court I totally see it. I honestly don't get the argument against it on the court. Yes, there are spacing issues with Simmons, Zion, and the current lineup....but you don't use the current lineup. Simmons, Zion, BI, and floor spacing 3pt shooters would be insanely deadly. I'm sure we would stagger min to where either Simmons or Zion were on the floor at all times....and with Point Zion, that is some potentially elite playmaking on the court at all times.....and yes, Simmons D is what most excites me. If they teamed up in three to five years, I would consider that lineup unstoppable.

My hesitation would be that each of our stars would still be a few years away from their primes. Like how Giannis didn't really fully explode to elite mode until 27 or so...that seems to be around the magic age for the leap to eliteness....Simmons, Zion, and BI all still have elements of their game that need drastic work. So as much as I see their chance to form one of the greatest super teams of all time (yeah, I'll go that high on the potential) they won't be competing for titles the first couple of years. It would also take two to three seasons to build a roster of 3 and Ds around them. And in those few seasons where the roster isn't complete and the potential of those superstars has yet to be realized, I think it's highly likely they fall apart and the wheels come of the bus.

Especially if both Simmons and Zion have people in their ears helping the collapse.

And we're talking about going all in on our assets to get him plus having to create an environment so great that people all take salary cuts to be here. I know we joke about this franchise being bad but I feel like a Simmons trade has a higher potential to wreck this franchise for at least a decade to depths even the most pessimistic of Pels fans have even fathomed.
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 09-27-2021 at 08:24 AM.

I slept on it and Ben Simmons is still a horrible idea 5 weeks later. Let?s say we get him kind of cheap. He absolutely bombs here and we have to flip him. Can?t even recoup the value back.

You absolutely cannot move BI in any deal for Simmons. It would have to be draft capital and some assets- I just don?t think the experiment is worth it. It looks bad in theory and is probably bad in execution. Pass. Hard pass

He would have to be sixth man. Can you convince him of that?

Sigh, and of course I got tickets for the Sacramento game October 29, hopefully he'll be able to play then.

I'm starting to lean towards the idea of trading Zion now when you can get some value from him. Before we end up with a Greg Oden situation. 275 (edit: 285 plus or minus, probably plus) bouncing up and down a basketball court is going to end badly at some point.
    Last edited by Freyfamilyreuni; 09-27-2021 at 11:08 AM.

Like a few injuries on top of a knee and a foot surgery bad eventuahhhhhh oh wait.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Zion is 395 lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He would say this whether it's true or not, but hey, at least he's not openly saying otherwise

Explains why he wasn't at the informal training camps

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

He would say this whether it's true or not, but hey, at least he's not openly saying otherwise
    I’d wager he is content, but it’s probably time we stopped playing with fire and build a winning culture. The roster is intriguing as is the coaching hire. Can’t keep throwing seasons away though.

Thread Information