Pelicans Report

Page 29 of 157 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 39 79 129 ... LastLast

Thread: Pels Off season thread

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    I wasnt making a pro Adams argument. I was just saying that Baynes was terrible. I said in the same post we weren't making the playoffs anyway.

The only pro Adams trade argument you could make at this point is that he's made Jaxson Hayes a better player, and it's a flimsy point to make at best.

The Adams trade is only going to look worse if a center is BPA @ 10 and we pass on him.
    To simply say we whiff on Baynes and now have more cap space and a top 5 pick is juvenile at best.

You sign him last year, and that sets off a chain of events, likely at the trade deadline, that we have no idea what the current roster looks like or current roster flexibility. Let alone what draft pick they'd have.

You are most likely looking at an even more unstable situation than you already have now, including being more desperate to find a starting center for the 3rd year in a row, in addition to all the other issues already present. The same low brow committee would have eviscerated Griff for signing a player as bad Baynes in the first place.

When Toronto signed him, they had in mind another playoff appearance. Instead they ended up trading Powell and tried to trade Lowry at the deadline. Missed the playoffs and are now having to reset their roster. May possibly lose their PBO.

The pro Adams argument is you have a tradeable player in '22 and you aren't in dire need to go find a center that needs big minutes. You still have much flexibility to handle bigger fish.
    Last edited by luckyman; 06-23-2021 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    To simply say we whiff on Baynes now have more cap space and a top 5 pick is juvenile at best.

You sign him last year, and that sets off a chain of events, likely at the trade deadline, that we have no idea what the current roster looks like or current roster flexibility. Let alone what draft pick they'd have.

You are most likely looking at an even more unstable situation than you already have now, including being more desperate to find a starting center for the 3rd year in a row, in addition to all the other issues already present. The same low brow committee would have eviscerated Griff for signing a player as bad Baynes in the first place.

When Toronto signed him, they had in mind another playoff appearance. Instead they ended up trading Powell and tried to trade Lowry at the deadline. Missed the playoffs and are now having to reset their roster. May possibly lose their PBO.

The pro Adams argument is you have a tradeable player in '22 and you aren't in dire need to go find a center that needs big minutes. You still have much flexibility to handle bigger fish.
    You will never recoup what we paid him; NEVER!!

Ans don't forget, with Adams, we missed the playoffs too.

Could we make a separate thread for people to argue about Adams ?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rampart View Post
    Could we make a separate thread for people to argue about Adams ?
    Seriously. It's past the point of weird.

I will not acknowledge it again. There is one, maybe two people who want to live in their delusional world, let them. We, the majority who are sane, will not mention it again (at least until Griff has to include assets to get off him)
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    The rift between SVG and Griff may have come because of the insistence to give Bledsoe minutes last year instead of NAW. That is my own speculation.
    I read somewhere online a day or 2 after the firing that griff wanted SVG to play the young guys and allow them to develop, but he instead played Bledsoe, so if that info is correct.. you speculated right. I?ll see if I can find that tweet.

Edit

Executive VP of basketball operations David Griffin wanted Van Gundy to give more playing time to first-round picks Nickeil Alexander-Walker, Kira Lewis, and Jaxson Hayes, but Van Gundy was more comfortable with veterans such as Eric Bledsoe, Fischer continues.
    https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2021/06/...n-lottery.html
    Last edited by DroopyDawg; 06-23-2021 at 10:55 PM.

That seems pretty encouraging regarding Griff's vision.

Greg Swartz' Three Year Rebuild Plan for the Pelicans:

Year 1, 2021-22

New Orleans has to make the playoffs in 2022. While missing out this season was disappointing, falling in the lottery again would be the last straw for David Griffin and the rest of the front office.

The Pelicans have the draft capital necessary to make sweeping changes to the roster, and should be eyeing players like Myles Turner (the perfect fit next to Zion Williamson at center) and Damian Lillard (the perfect fit, period) via trade.

Moving Eric Bledsoe and opening up more minutes for Nickeil Alexander-Walker and Kira Lewis Jr. is important, and bringing back Lonzo Ball on a deal under $20 million would make for a terrific offseason in New Orleans.

Year 2, 2022-23

Williamson will be extension eligible, a five-year max deal with a player option at the end he'll almost certainly sign. Even if the Pelicans miss the playoffs and he's unhappy, that's a lot of money to turn down.

If Bledsoe is still on the roster, only $3.9 million of his $19.4 million salary is guaranteed. That's an easy decision for Griffin and one that opens up nearly $16 million in cap space.

Year 3, 2023-24

New Orleans should be looking to turn assets into talent, especially before the 2024 draft comes around. The Pelicans will have three first-round picks, their own and ones coming from the Milwaukee Bucks and Los Angeles Lakers stemming from the Jrue Holiday and Anthony Davis trades.

There's no way this roster will want three rookies on a core that's ready to win, and the Pelicans need to continue to eye available stars around the league to come play with Williamson and Brandon Ingram.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    I read somewhere online a day or 2 after the firing that griff wanted SVG to play the young guys and allow them to develop, but he instead played Bledsoe, so if that info is correct.. you speculated right. I?ll see if I can find that tweet.

Edit

Thank God Griff might actually understand. SVG was trying to win games now, not build for the future.

NAW looked amazing at the 2, had no right to bench him when Lonzo came back. Should have benched Bledsoe.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post

Edit

Plus SVG's flippant comments that Jax needed to only concentrate on 2 or 3 core things, instead of exploring all of his potential. Like a 3 point shot. That raised my eyebrows and I'm guessing it raised Griff's as well.

There's also a screencap of an instagram post NAW made after SVG was fired. It said something like..."it was a roller coaster ride, but I appreciate you."

Kinda cryptic but lends to the idea SVG just lost the appetite to coach a slow rebuild.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    What a novel idea. Just trade for Damian Lillard. I did that just last night on NBA 2K. Surely real life is just as simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    What a novel idea. Just trade for Damian Lillard. I did that just last night on NBA 2K. Surely real life is just as simple.
    Hold my beer,

Signed

Phoenix Suns

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Hold my beer,

Signed

Phoenix Suns
    Did Phoenix trade for cp3 or outright sign him?

The Phoenix Suns on Monday acquired All-Star guard Chris Paul in a trade with the Oklahoma City Thunder.

In return for Paul and forward Abdel Nader, the Thunder received Kelly Oubre Jr., Ricky Rubio, Ty Jerome, Jalen Lecque and a 2022 first-round pick from the Suns.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...a-city-thunder

Quote Originally Posted by Rampart View Post
    The Phoenix Suns on Monday acquired All-Star guard Chris Paul in a trade with the Oklahoma City Thunder.

In return for Paul and forward Abdel Nader, the Thunder received Kelly Oubre Jr., Ricky Rubio, Ty Jerome, Jalen Lecque and a 2022 first-round pick from the Suns.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...a-city-thunder
    Don’t think Dame could be had for that little lol

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Don’t think Dame could be had for that little lol
    Whats the MOST you guys would give up

A) With Ingram

B) Without Ingram

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Whats the MOST you guys would give up

A) With Ingram

B) Without Ingram
    I’m not good at coming up with these so it would be better if you gave me a hypothetical trade with and without Ingram included and I’d tell you which one id take but just to throw something out there I guess

Ingram and 3 firsts
    No Ingram and 4 firsts

What I would think is fair if Dame asked out would be something like:

A) Ingram, Bledsoe, Kira, 10, and any two other firsts they want

B) Bledsoe, Adams, Kira, 10, and any FIVE other firsts they want

edit n/m. Similar already posted.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    What I would think is fair if Dame asked out would be something like:

A) Ingram, Bledsoe, Kira, 10, and any two other firsts they want

B) Bledsoe, Adams, Kira, 10, and any FIVE other firsts they want
    The only question is...can OKC beat the 1st trade? Because I can't imagine they do. Or if they do, we'd be far better with Dame than they would.

They key to a Lillard trade would be hiring a coach he likes to get him to put us on his list.

We know of Jason Kidd. Is there anyone else he likes?

Dame
    Either Lonzo or NAW
    Ingram
    Zion
    Hayes

This also has me thinking, is an elite guard or wing player maker what we really need? If you count Zion as a PG then you have 3 dominant wings and no big man, or is what Zion needs is an elite center who can stretch the floor and also create in the post.

Who’s actually a better fit next to Zion, Dame or KAT?

If you go KAT you get more ammo to put an elite 3 and D also in that lineup since KAT would be cheaper than Dame

Can?t see us making Lillard?s list and we?d have a lot of roster problems even if we kept Ingram. Maybe especially if we kept Ingram.

I guess Ingram, Kira, 10, all the Lakers and Bucks firsts (4) that aren?t swap options for Dame and Covington. But I?d be willing to go a tiny bit higher than that even.

Without Ingram, I?m not sure I have a top end as long as Pels aren?t trading distant unprotected firsts.

Is this Dame thing actually in the realms of possibility?

Thread Information