Pelicans Report

Page 28 of 157 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 38 78 128 ... LastLast

Thread: Pels Off season thread

Griff bombed on Favors (the Pelicans were a storage shelter for Favors so Utah they could afford Bogdanovic in '19-'20). Gave the Pelicans nothing.

Griff bombed on Adams when he attached three picks to the deal and then needlessly extended the Kiwi. I hope Sam Presti at least kissed him afterwards.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Cool. Enough of the whining and complaining. Not everything has been roses, but things haven't been all bad either. We have the 10th pick. Let's speculate from there.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    Cool. Enough of the whining and complaining. Not everything has been roses, but things haven't been all bad either. We have the 10th pick. Let's speculate from there.
    Yep, we've become good at resetting the clock. We did it several times in the CP3 years...we did it several times in the AD years...and coming up is the third reset in the Zion years.

First Griff gave permission to Jrue to be the league MVP and Alvin drove the bus (or was it a bust).
    Then Griff traded his MVP and overpaid the Kiwi while bringing the Social Warrior in to coach the team.
    Stay tuned for what's ahead in the third reset.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    You’re a bore.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    You’re a bore.
    ...but an honest one,

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Brogdon or Sexton and what kind of packages would it take to get each of them? #10, Bledsoe, additional pick(s ) etc.
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Cameron Payne is a Free Agent this summer. Just saying.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Cameron Payne is a Free Agent this summer. Just saying.
    it was said a long time ago, but someone said he is nothing but a backup....maybe yes, maybe no....

Hall of Famer
    Moses moody makes the most sense if they keep the pick

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Firstly, you can't look at that cap space in a vacuum. This team is not in a position to be carrying $24 mil in cap space around when you have Zion and BI on the roster already. That money was going to be spent somewhere in an honest effort to at least try to make the playoffs. . We already know the alternative was to sign some trash at center (Aron Baynes or Harry Giles according to the sage of stupidity), then use the MLE and BAE to go sign some other "useful" player still yet to be named. The fact that the whining over losing Kenrich in that deal has completely died just shows how unstable this argument is. You're also free to start naming some players they should/could have went after, which will have to include somebody at center.

And that's where this argument dies.

And again, we've already established that this team has lots of flexibility. They still have a number of 1sts to be used as intended. They have a number of 2nds as well (12 over the next 7 years). They still have, yet again, the full MLE, BAE and $4 mil in trade exception money to use this year. I also don't know where you get a $7 mil cap space number from. I'm seeing at least $14 mil projected for next year before any moves have been made.
    Going to try this one more time because you aren't understanding what we are saying.

Nobody will tell you trading for Steven Adams by itself on a 1 year deal was a terrible move if Griffin felt the need to do it. However if the argument that it is a win now move then it becomes terrible because Steven Adams is not contributing to winning games.

The fail is when you sign him to the extension. Whether we have 7 or 14 million, you don't think we would be better off this offseason having 24 or 31 million in cap space plus be able to go over the cap sign Steven Adams? If you think that Steven Adams plus an MLE player is better than Steven Adams plus a 24 or 31 million dollar player then I can't help you.

The reality is that the team will have to trade him with a first round pick or two to gain cap flexibility because this team is not going to get better by having the MLE or BLE. That's not flexibility especially when you also probably lose Hart and Ball.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Sadly, Griffin does not appear to have learned his lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Sadly, Griffin does not appear to have learned his lesson.
    It isn't about building a functional team with championship aspirations. It's about one man's ego trip.

Imagine that. Player input in a coaching hire.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    It isn't about building a functional team with championship aspirations. It's about one man's ego trip.
    If he hires D’Antoni you are right.

Quote Originally Posted by Pels247 View Post
    Going to try this one more time because you aren't understanding what we are saying.

Nobody will tell you trading for Steven Adams by itself on a 1 year deal was a terrible move if Griffin felt the need to do it. However if the argument that it is a win now move then it becomes terrible because Steven Adams is not contributing to winning games.

The fail is when you sign him to the extension. Whether we have 7 or 14 million, you don't think we would be better off this offseason having 24 or 31 million in cap space plus be able to go over the cap sign Steven Adams? If you think that Steven Adams plus an MLE player is better than Steven Adams plus a 24 or 31 million dollar player then I can't help you.

The reality is that the team will have to trade him with a first round pick or two to gain cap flexibility because this team is not going to get better by having the MLE or BLE. That's not flexibility especially when you also probably lose Hart and Ball.
    Firstly, this "we" group you speak of is low brow. I have to hit "view post" to see most of them. This team is under no duress to trade Steven Adams this year while giving up more assets. He was not a complete and utter disaster like say...Aron Baynes in Toronto or Harry Giles in Portland. Adams was not even a top 5 reason for the lack of playoffs last year. If they trade him, it will be in 2022 on an expiring contract, which was likely the plan to begin with.

Secondly, if you can't get the current cap space correct, then I doubt you have the alternative correct. Then, there is no guarantee Steven Adams re-signs here. He'd have been a free agent free to choose his own personal best fit, which likely would not have been this unstable coaching environment. So you're left bidding on whatever is left this year. And it looks like this entire FA center class could be signed with a full MLE anyway. So the other option would be to trade for a center, which is what this team would do whether Steven Adams is on the roster or not.

I'll just make those corrections to your argument and move on. I've answered all the other crap 10 times already. This is not a cap space franchise. No worthy, above MLE level FA willingly looks to sign here. This is a horrid FA class on top of that. This team still has plenty of the functional flexibility it needs to improve the roster without trading Adams. The "cost" to get him have been completely overblown by the "we" group because thats what they do. Like fan the flames of stupidity that Dell Demps was about to award Jrue Holiday a 4 year $112 mil contract extension. 8 page thread that was.

We have multiple threads on all the possibilities this team currently has to improve the roster. Franchise isn't restricted due to extending Steven Adams. Go check them out.
    Last edited by luckyman; 06-23-2021 at 05:35 PM.

Honestly, would we have been much worse off with Baynes/Hernangomez/Hayes? Baynes cost $23 million less last year and $50+ million less over the lives of their respective contracts.

Adams was the highest paid center in the NBA last year. That in itself should be enough to prove how bad a trade it was.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/rankings/cap-hit/center/

Even after his salary reduction via extension, he is the 8th highest paid center in the NBA.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/rankings...ap-hit/center/

Good player, but not in this era of the NBA. His skills are not nearly as sought after today as they would have been 5 or more years ago.

However, I agree that we should not overpay to get rid of him. Bledsoe is a more urgent purge needed from the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Honestly, would we have been much worse off with Baynes/Hernangomez/Hayes? Baynes cost $23 million less last year and $50+ million less over the lives of their respective contracts.

Adams was the highest paid center in the NBA last year. That in itself should be enough to prove how bad a trade it was.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/rankings/cap-hit/center/

Even after his salary reduction via extension, he is the 8th highest paid center in the NBA.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/rankings...ap-hit/center/

Good player, but not in this era of the NBA. His skills are not nearly as sought after today as they would have been 5 or more years ago.

However, I agree that we should not overpay to get rid of him. Bledsoe is a more urgent purge needed from the roster.
    Baynes was arguably the worst player in the league last season. To Adams' credit, he at least had something to do with Jaxson's development, even if it was entirely indirectly by getting him benched and motivating him that way. If Jax still ends up the same player by seasons end, then sure. It's not like we were making the playoffs anyway, and maybe we scoop up Gafford or Theis in this alternate universe.

Getting rid of Bledsoe is addition by subtraction. Im not a fan of attaching a high value asset (#10) to move him if it means losing a lot of value in the process, but I'd definitely be for swapping him with a 2nd or few for another bad expiring player that is actually a good teammate ala Gary Harris, Aminu, Rubio, Winslow. Even if Bled was able to turn it around for a new team, it wasnt happening here.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    Baynes was arguably the worst player in the league last season. To Adams' credit, he at least had something to do with Jaxson's development, even if it was entirely indirectly by getting him benched and motivating him that way. If Jax still ends up the same player by seasons end, then sure. It's not like we were making the playoffs anyway, and maybe we scoop up Gafford or Theis in this alternate universe.

Getting rid of Bledsoe is addition by subtraction. Im not a fan of attaching a high value asset (#10) to move him if it means losing a lot of value in the process, but I'd definitely be for swapping him with a 2nd or few for another bad expiring player that is actually a good teammate ala Gary Harris, Aminu, Rubio, Winslow. Even if Bled was able to turn it around for a new team, it wasnt happening here.
    The rift between SVG and Griff may have come because of the insistence to give Bledsoe minutes last year instead of NAW. That is my own speculation. I'd rather Bledsoe got the Horford OKC treatment. The only issue is Bledsoe just never looked good enough to sit him and entertain offers until the last few games of the year. If I'm the Pelicans, I market that tape and sit him all year if they can't offload him before the season. His contract is practically around $14 mil in future space.

Again....even if Baynes gave less than Adams did this year.....so what? So we get the 8th pick instead of 10th? Or maybe are worse than Toronto and are sitting at #4 right now. And we also dont have 17 mil on the books next year for a below avg center.

I struggle to see this as a positive point for the Adams camp
    @mcnamara247

Team USA is set. Final spots to Zach Lavine and Jerami Grant? No Zion or BI so they have the full off season to themselves.

https://www.espn.com/olympics/basket...ketball-roster

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Again....even if Baynes gave less than Adams did this year.....so what? So we get the 8th pick instead of 10th? Or maybe are worse than Toronto and are sitting at #4 right now. And we also dont have 17 mil on the books next year for a below avg center.

It's past time, MAC, for some people to cut their losses and come to their senses, it's rapidly become a joke. The Adams Warship is a vessel you don't want to take to sea; it leaks like a sieve and you will drown every time. Griff screwed up on Favors two years ago (that was two only draft picks) and he screwed up last year with Adams (that was only three draft picks). The kicker is the extension. Stupid is what stupid is.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post

I wasnt making a pro Adams argument. I was just saying that Baynes was terrible. I said in the same post we weren't making the playoffs anyway.

The only pro Adams trade argument you could make at this point is that he's made Jaxson Hayes a better player, and it's a flimsy point to make at best.

The Adams trade is only going to look worse if a center is BPA @ 10 and we pass on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    I wasnt making a pro Adams argument. I was just saying that Baynes was terrible. I said in the same post we weren't making the playoffs anyway.

The only pro Adams trade argument you could make at this point is that he's made Jaxson Hayes a better player, and it's a flimsy point to make at best.

The Adams trade is only going to look worse if a center is BPA @ 10 and we pass on him.
    You are right; it's flimsy at best. There is no credible evidence that the 'Adams Factor' had any effect on JAXSON's natural progression. Maybe JJ Redick is the reason NAW improved?

Thread Information