Pelicans Report

Page 20 of 157 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 30 70 120 ... LastLast

Thread: Pels Off season thread

[QUOTE=MichaelMcNamara;1559392]My worry too but he is not targeting one player I dislike

Id rather this approach where he pays big for real players than do the value buys he tried for Favors and Adams[/QUOTE

Besides Beal, Sabonis, and OG, can you share any other names that he’s interested in?
    Last edited by mriguy; 06-18-2021 at 11:12 PM.

KAT, Siakam, Brogdon are a few more. And if we jump into the top 4 I am sure he will call about SGA and Fox too. This draft lotto is so important. Not only for us but there are other teams that could be effected with regard to whether they become buyers or sellers. Tuesday is a super important day
    @mcnamara247

Thanks for the updates!

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Just a fluff piece. What would they have to offer? They are not parting with Bam, so not much else.
    Butler!

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ye4sbxcn

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yfxpjza5

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Its more that I know he wont stop until he does. I still dont think he adds a "star" but he isnt talking to teams about Bledsoe and #10. We are talking about him willing to part with 3, 4, 5, 6 firsts this offseason if it comes to it. If say OG and Sabonis cost him Bled, Adams and 6 picks, I am confident he would actually do it.

The roster around Zion will have plenty of talent. He will have no excuses
    If we went after OG and Sabonis does that mean Lonzo would be gone?

Lonzo
    OG
    Ingram
    Zion
    Sabonis

I could get behind this team. Or is Lonzo history and NAW starts until Kira is ready?

Lonzo all depends on the other 29 teams. Griff wont overpay to a crazy extent but he aint gonna just let the guy Ingram and Zion constantly praise walk away easily either. But I am starting to think more than ever that he will be back. If Griff is this aggressive prior to FA, he cant that allow guys to walk for nothing a few weeks later. And he is allowed to go into the tax this upcoming year, so if it comes to that - so be it

I think there is a good debate to be had about whether Sabonis should be a target. We have already seen Griff spend assets on bigs with no return. And while Sabonis is way better, I look at these playoffs and wonder how much he really moves the needle. Now....if his outside game progresses like say Vucevic, and you have a 3 level scorer who rebounds like crazy and is the 2nd best passing big man in the game, that could have huge value.

But if the 3 point shot never gets to at least the Brook Lopez level, its a waste of assets IMO. You are really gambling on him progressing big time as a shooter

Appreciate the updates MM. I love it! Bout time we stopped dragging our feet. However I fear he'll overpay in assets for a "good" player that doesn't fit with our roster build. But I'm open for anything that gets us into contention. I personally want Brogdon and Siakam. But I don't think we have the assets. Brogdon could be attainable, but getting Siakam would be the problem. But I'm excited to see what we get nonetheless.

That is if we trade Lonzo. If we keep him, then OG for sure.
    Last edited by hornetzplaya; 06-19-2021 at 08:43 AM.

I’d sacrifice my unborn if we could get KAT and OG

That is the fear. If Toronto and Indy say, "Nah, we arent going to sell. We are going to go into the season and see what we are and maybe we can talk in Feb"

Does Griff make minor upgrades and wait or does he go to the next tier and start overpaying for H Barnes and Buddy? Or to Detroit and Cleveland and overpay for Grant or Nance. THAT is my fear.

Yup. But on the bright side from having picks, Bledsoe and Adams on the block. (If we keep Lonzo) Hart could be viable as a S&T to package him as well. He has, at least, some value as that glue/hustle guy.

The huge variable is Tuesday

I dont even think of the players in the draft. We arent going to draft one unless its Cade. But moving up from 10 to 2, 3, or 4 is really the equivalent of adding more picks to the war chest. For example, if you are at 10, it takes your 2021 pick and 2-3 more to get OG. If you get #3 or 4, it only takes your 2021 pick. Basically, Tuesday decides how much of our war chest we have to open. Has nothing to do with what player we draft in 2021

But moving up from 10 to 2, 3, or 4 is really the equivalent of adding more picks to the war chest. For example, if you are at 10, it takes your 2021 pick and 2-3 more to get OG. If you get #3 or 4, it only takes your 2021 pick. Basically, Tuesday decides how much of our war chest we have to open. Has nothing to do with what player we draft in 2021
    I mean we kinda saw this with the AD trade. Lakers moved up to #4 which helped solidify their assets to trade for AD. Pelicans then used #4 (and #57) to end up with #8, #17, #35 and getting off Solomon Hill's contract.

IMO no one is going to give Griffin fair value this summer. This is a sellers market we're seeing right now with how wide open the championship hunt is and how many teams have disappointed. There are going to be a lot of calls around the league this summer and the asking prices are going to get wild. Especially when the front office feels it's someone they can take advantage of calling.

I dont want the pelicans to make Demps moves. The Adams move was a Demps move. It's not too late to start building right. Draft well, make good between the margins moves. Trade Lonzo for a TPE and then be an opportunistic third team in trades.

Bledsoe has to go, but I wouldn't hate just swapping him and some 2nds for another expiring player that has a better attitude (let's say Aminu) and can still be used in a trade at the deadline when there will be a smaller group of able buyers and the pelicans can better evaluate what they need under a new coach with a few games under their belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    IMO no one is going to give Griffin fair value this summer. This is a sellers market we're seeing right now with how wide open the championship hunt is and how many teams have disappointed. There are going to be a lot of calls around the league this summer and the asking prices are going to get wild. Especially when the front office feels it's someone they can take advantage of calling.

I dont want the pelicans to make Demps moves. The Adams move was a Demps move. It's not too late to start building right. Draft well, make good between the margins moves. Trade Lonzo for a TPE and then be an opportunistic third team in trades.

Bledsoe has to go, but I wouldn't hate just swapping him and some 2nds for another expiring player that has a better attitude (let's say Aminu) and can still be used in a trade at the deadline when there will be a smaller group of able buyers and the pelicans can better evaluate what they need under a new coach with a few games under their belt.
    I agree with all of this. But I dont think Griff will have that patience. And where I land is that I'd rather he pay 120% of a B+ player than pay 100% for a C+ player. He is going to have to overpay but you have to factor in increasing the chances of keeping Zion as part of that over pay. Maybe it costs you 3 firsts for OG but if it works out, you have also increased the odds of keeping Zion by 15% as well, which now makes it an underpay.

Not saying I am on board with this line of thinking, but it will be how they justify it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post

I just hope that our failures are a reality check to ownership and Management that you can’t rush a project like this and expect great results without luck. Griffin’s tone definitely changed from win now to development as the year went on, but it wouldn’t surprise me if we still make a bold misstep a la Adams again.

Adams was not a "win now" move. Dont you think Atlanta wished they had an Adams right now? The problem is the Pelicans don't have a real stretch big to take his place against smaller teams. You need BOTH.

Further, Adams didn't get extended here on some 3 - 4 year deal. He's got this year and will be expiring next year. That's it. By that time you hope Jaxson is ready or you need to go find another big.

I agree with all of this. But I dont think Griff will have that patience. And where I land is that I'd rather he pay 120% of a B+ player than pay 100% for a C+ player. He is going to have to overpay but you have to factor in increasing the chances of keeping Zion as part of that over pay. Maybe it costs you 3 firsts for OG but if it works out, you have also increased the odds of keeping Zion by 15% as well, which now makes it an underpay.

Not saying I am on board with this line of thinking, but it will be how they justify it.
    I always thought gathering a ton of picks ostensibly was to throw so many assets at a GM for a semi star that they can't say no. Not necessarily for the superstar

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    I always thought gathering a ton of picks ostensibly was to throw so many assets at a GM for a semi star that they can't say no. Not necessarily for the superstar
    Yeah, you just dont want to do that and not have enough for when the star is available. Like, look at Brooklyn - they could have had Jrue this offseason but pulled back their offer and gambled that Harden would eventually shake loose. If we unload the chest for OG and Sabonis and then a few months later a real stud comes available that we couldve had, there would be some regret. Why I kind of hope they just go spend assets on one guy because even if you give up 3 picks, you still have 8 available plus a good amount of swap rights over the next 7 years, plus guys like NAW, Kira, and Hayes who hopefully take a step up

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Adams was not a "win now" move. Dont you think Atlanta wished they had an Adams right now? The problem is the Pelicans don't have a real stretch big to take his place against smaller teams. You need BOTH.

Further, Adams didn't get extended here on some 3 - 4 year deal. He's got this year and will be expiring next year. That's it. By that time you hope Jaxson is ready or you need to go find another big.
    Pels got the same production they got from Adams from a guy who signed a partially guaranteed minimum. It wasnt a "win now" move but it cost a good amount when you factor in salary, assets, and opportunity costs. And now saying there is "only" two years left like we couldnt get a MUCH better player for 2/35 this offseason is disingenuous. It remains one of the most perplexing decisions I have ever seen a GM make, just days after making such a great original trade giving up Jrue

Pels got the same production they got from Adams from a guy who signed a partially guaranteed minimum. It wasnt a "win now" move but it cost a good amount when you factor in salary, assets, and opportunity costs. And now saying there is "only" two years left like we couldnt get a MUCH better player for 2/35 this offseason is disingenuous. It remains one of the most perplexing decisions I have ever seen a GM make, just days after making such a great original trade giving up Jrue
    **** it makes me mad.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    **** it makes me mad.
    Our only hope is that someone else is as foolish as Griff (or some of the fans on this board) and they think Adams has some value. But I just think other centers who are better and cheaper can be had this offseason so why would anyone take on Adams, even if he was free?

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post

I've been screaming stretch five since we won the Zion sweepstakes. Nothing changes. If Atlanta wants to swap Gallinari for Adams, where to I sign?

Absolutely agree.

...and both had hands of stone.

To say the Pelicans got the same production from Adams as they did some 2/35 JAG is a line of horse manure. Straight up. Not everything Adams does you will find in some traditional box score. All the ways he cleared the paint for Zion to easily score is a stat you have to dig for. His on/off contributions on defense are evident, but you have to dig for that too.

It would have been a complete waste of time to go sign someone like Aron Baynes (somebody on here suggested this...), who might have played himself out of the league. His waste of salary doesn't do much when this team already has all 3 exceptions at their disposal. You don't make stupid decisions like that to tank your season before it starts when you have to deal with young players that actually want to win games. It can't be done.

Adams was just one necessary piece and sometimes you cant fill every single hole in one off season. They couldn't find a proper stretch big last year, so now you STILL have the flexibility to find one this year, Adams on the team or not. Sabonis or Myles Turner are still very much in play among others.

And even last year, I said the team knew all of its options when they signed Adams. And we now know they very much could have traded Redick, because Redick asked them to. The Pelicans CHOSE not to do that.

Signing Adams didnt hamstring them. That was their choice to not move Redick. Whether you agree with that or not is another discussion. I would have absolutely moved Redick back then.
    Last edited by luckyman; 06-19-2021 at 05:39 PM.

Thread Information