Pelicans Report

Page 100 of 157 FirstFirst ... 50 90 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 110 150 ... LastLast
Results 2,476 to 2,500 of 3922

Thread: Pels Off season thread

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    It was already tough for us to get FA, but not take a 18 million dollar pay cut tough. Is this about the market or organization not being appealing?
    I'd want to know if the entire $88m was guaranteed. Often times these amounts aren't reported 100% accurately. Might have been $88m if incentives were met, or the final year only being partially guaranteed, or it actually being 5/88, etc. Thus making the difference with what he got from Dallas minimal, especially considering no state income tax in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    It was already tough for us to get FA, but not take a 18 million dollar pay cut tough. Is this about the market or organization not being appealing?
    I would say all of the above. Even during the AD era as well as CP3 era, we couldn't really attract free agents. It doesn't help that we had 3 coaches in 3 seasons, Redick blasting the front office, and the team being perennial losers.

Quote Originally Posted by bradael View Post
    I'd want to know if the entire $88m was guaranteed. Often times these amounts aren't reported 100% accurately. Might have been $88m if incentives were met, or the final year only being partially guaranteed, or it actually being 5/88, etc. Thus making the difference with what he got from Dallas minimal, especially considering no state income tax in Texas.
    Yeah i hope the media reports about it soon if so. I have a hard time believing anyone would leave 18 million dollars....

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I don't think Sato can be traded without waiting for aggregation by us if it's in a separate move. I could be wrong, of course, I'm no super cap expert.
    Since the trade has not been finalized, they can work it into another trade and that rule does not apply.

Combine that with the fact that the Bulls only had one route to acquiring him, and it was through coughing up to the Spurs whereas Chicago was already paying an amount larger than we were reported to be willing to match to Lonzo, it's clear how SAS was able to extract a larger price for their co-operation than we were. No confusion necessary.
    Are we a victim of timing? Could we have held out on finalizing the agreement on the sign and trade to increase the pressure on Chicago?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    Are we a victim of timing? Could we have held out on finalizing the agreement on the sign and trade to increase the pressure on Chicago?
    Not really, they were already offering him more than we were willing to pay - that news came out probably close to a week ago now. We weren't going to pay him more than $20m a year, they knew that, they offered him enough to beat us out. The only way we could have waited out would either have been to threaten to match it (which we didn't want to do because if they call our bluff we're now left holding the bill) or to just be annoying and literally just drag things out, which isn't a good idea. You don't want to be known in the league as unfriendly trade partners who are obstructionists.

Plus, it's worth remembering that as long as Lonzo was technically a Pelican we had to deal with his cap hold, so us holding out would also tie our hands for as long as we did it.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    Now we need another 2 guard and a backup 4 unless they gonna play Graham off guard. Stinks that both Olynyk & Bjelica have signed cause I was hoping to get one of those two. I like Markkanen, but he would likely get starter money. Maybe Markief Morris would be a decent addition. We need someone that can stretch the floor IMO.

Off Guards available are Oladipo, Nunn, Horton-Tucker, Danny Green, Forbes, Lou Williams, & Terence Davis

Forgot about our guy Josh Hart. Kelly Oubre but he?s more of a 3.
    Would love THT on this squad as a 6th man type, shooting be damned. Don't see how we pry him from LA though.

It was a 4 yr 88 million deal. Probably fully GTD. Something isn't right.

I'm okay he didn't sign, but that's obscene. I've never seen an athlete turned down a $15 million dollar pay raise.
    Last edited by Taker597; 08-03-2021 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Funcrusher View Post
    Would love THT on this squad as a 6th man type, shooting be damned. Don't see how we pry him from LA though.
    Hahaha, he just re-signed for 3/32.

Quote Originally Posted by Funcrusher View Post
    ahhhhhh shiiiiit nevermind

Quote Originally Posted by Snarly View Post
    Hahaha, he just re-signed for 3/32.
    yeah, just saw it. expected, but still sigh

#FreeAusPel

The only thing I can think of with Hardaway is he's already gotten a big pay day, so maybe the difference between 140 mil career earnings and 158 mil career earning wasnt a big enough difference to uproot his family. A lot of times these things are bigger than basketball. But still not a great look for Griff an co

Quote Originally Posted by bradael View Post
    You could say this about most teams. Outside of the Lakers, Heat, and maybe Brooklyn, most teams struggle to sign free agents from other teams.

And then most of the time those players are then traded within 2 years because they were given massive overpays... which was the only way they could get them. Kemba Walker and Al Horford are prime examples.

You basically need to luck your way into a superstar and another all star, and hope that they gel quick enough to be title contenders. Then you bring in all the 35 year old aging vets chasing titles for minimum deals.

It's not just small market teams even. I can remember when no one wanted to go to LA to play with Kobe (that's been all forgotten) and New York struggled for years to lure free agents due to Dolan and their chaotic management of the Knicks. Quarter century ago Orlando couldn't hold on to Shaq. Generation before that Milwaukee lost Kareem to the Lakers.

I continue to wonder if getting a "generational" superstar is a blessing or a curse to a small market team. Griff seems back to doing what he swore he wouldn't do after his experience with LeBron made him so miserable. And I sometimes think he just doesn't have a feel for how to manage this particular team. I contrast it so much with Memphis and OKC who, whatever you think of them, seem to have a clear vision of who they are and how they are going to build. Maybe that's because they don't have the gravitational force of a Zion warping their trajectory, but Griffin needs to stick to his guns and build this thing organically, not over reach and over pay. Zion's going to do what he going to do. Don't treat him like he's bigger than the team. That won't end well for anyone.

So, umm is there anyone left for us to spend our cap space on?

Quote Originally Posted by Coreyinthe504 View Post
    It is crazy I agree, but how else would we get anyone. It's strange because i know saints never have this much trouble getting guys over here but i know entirely different landscape and saints have been a model of stability recently anyway.
    Saints org is ran entirely different, they draft excellent and then add pieces around those players. Sean Payton is also a laid back ?player?s coach? he?s very in touch with the guys and they?re treated like superstars by everyone. Players talk, and the Saints could literally sign just about whoever they want, dudes really want to play there. The Pelicans is an entirely different story. They need more basketball people over there.

Pels looking real desperate atm without a 2022 1st to trade, and the inability to trade a 1st round pick until 2024.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    So, umm is there anyone left for us to spend our cap space on?
    Hopefully nothing big in free agency. The only "bigger" name left is Shroder and I would hope we do not waste a dime on him. Hopefully our big move is through a trade using Sato, maybe Hart and 2nds. May be time to call Kings about Buddy if were willing to give that much for Hardaway.

Ffs Nunn signs with the Lakers.

I don't think Sato can be traded without waiting for aggregation by us if it's in a separate move. I could be wrong, of course, I'm no super cap expert.
    Easiest thing to do would be to lump the 3rd team in with the Chicago trade. If that doesn't happen, believe we could trade Sato by himself with no restrictions, there's just a waiting period to combine him with other players in a trade.

I'm just hoping that we seem to be building right atm. If things settle down, we make the playoffs, Green is truly a realtable player's coach and people have fun here we can change the culture and reputation. This wasn't an all-in season by any means. BI and Ingram are 23/21 not 33/31. We still have 3-5 years before they start to reach their peak. If we right the ship now we can be a destination and clear our reputation by then.

Don't get me wrong I had ridiculous visions of joining the dump Bledsoe make the finals we just need Lowry dancing in my head as well. Everything I've read is that your success in the NBA is incremental though. Others know way more than me but if we can just start making progress I think we will find it addictive and have it gather a momentum of its own. This offseason does not seem miraculously good but it does feel like the ship is righting itself and it is giving me hope.

Starting to wonder if Dinwiddie is still a possibility. Seems to be getting very complicated to get him to Wizards on a S&T.

Griff out here trying. Players on the team have to buy in. It takes time, look at the Saints. They were called the Aints at one point and like someone said they still miss out on FAs.

I just hate the media be acting like we are the worst team. What are the Timberwolves doing w/ Kat or Sac doing w/ Fox. Nothing, I see. At least we're trying. The Tim Hardaway Jr. thing shows that. (Which I'm glad he didn't take b/c that's too much $$ for Tim Hardway Jr.)

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Starting to wonder if Dinwiddie is still a possibility. Seems to be getting very complicated to get him to Wizards on a S&T.
    Don't care, don't want him.

The only thing worse than us doing absolutely nothing would be to overpay for a long term contract on a mediocre player. Giving Dinwiddie $20m+ for 3+ years would be a horrible move imo. Same with Schroder, or any other mid-grade guard.

Thread Information