Pelicans Report

Page 99 of 157 FirstFirst ... 49 89 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 109 149 ... LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,475 of 3922

Thread: Pels Off season thread

Quote Originally Posted by jawznola View Post
    Exactly, we couldn’t even get a 1st????
    Curious what the protections on the 1st rounder are. But it sounds like it won't convey until at least 2025.

Spurs are taking on Thad Young ($14m) and Aminu ($10m) which puts them in a much tougher spot financially for this season. Pelicans probably not willing to do that when they're trying to win now while Spurs seemingly going into tank mode.

Also, DeRozan is more valuable than Lonzo, at least right now.

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    Wish we could of got Coby White in that sign & trade. The Bulls look better

C: Vucevic
    PF: Williams
    SF: DeRozan
    SG: Lavine
    PG: Lonzo
    6th: White
    Coby is like their 9th man. He sucks.
    Basketball.

Apparently we tried to give Lonzo's capspace to Hardaway. Offered 4/88 and he chose to return to Dallas for a discount.

Quote Originally Posted by Snarly View Post
    Apparently we tried to give Lonzo's capspace to Hardaway. Offered 4/88 and he chose to return to Dallas for a discount.
    At least we know the FO is trying their damnest to get us some help. We know we aren't a FA target so trades will be the main way we work

Still waiting on that Hart and Sato trade alert.

Absolutely an indictment of our recent years. It sucks but it is what it is, hopefully griffin can get someone in a trade at least.

Yeah not really sure where the confusion is coming from.

DeRozan is an all-star who just came off a season averaging 22/4/7 on 59%TS, immediately after a season where he averaged 22/5/6 on 60%TS. He's 2x All NBA, and has made extremely impressive strides as a passer in recent years: last season he had 32%AST on only 9%TOV - for comparison, Lonzo was 25%AST to 14%TOV.

DeMar can create his own shot at any moment, can get to the rim, draws FTs (and shoots them well), etc. He's just a better player than Lonzo right now: capable of performing just as well in a much larger and more demanding role.

Combine that with the fact that the Bulls only had one route to acquiring him, and it was through coughing up to the Spurs whereas Chicago was already paying an amount larger than we were reported to be willing to match to Lonzo, it's clear how SAS was able to extract a larger price for their co-operation than we were. No confusion necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetzplaya View Post
    Still waiting on that Hart and Sato trade alert.
    I don't think Sato can even be made eligible to trade unless we were to combine the Chicago and Memphis trades together, whichwould be an absolute monstrous mess of complication.

Probably influenced by JJ Ingrate's rant last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I don't think Sato can even be made eligible to trade unless we were to combine the Chicago and Memphis trades together, whichwould be an absolute monstrous mess of complication.
    Why wouldn't he? The trade is not finalized.

Hall of Famer
    Eliot Clough @EliotClough
    4 minutes ago
    Just heard @Kevin O'Connor say on The Mismatch that he heard the #Pelicans offered Tim Hardaway Jr. $90 million… he elected to stay in Dallas for $72 million

Quote Originally Posted by Speakthetruth View Post
    4 minutes ago
    Just heard @Kevin O'Connor say on The Mismatch that he heard the #Pelicans offered Tim Hardaway Jr. $90 million… he elected to stay in Dallas for $72 million
    Cuban probably offered him a lifetime coaching opportunity to make up the difference after his career is over.

Griffin and Langdon are finding out very quickly that a small market teams like New Orleans are not attractive to free agents even if you try to overpay. Seems like they striking out with Plan A,B, and C. It's time they start acting like the Small Market team that we are and make moves and decisions with that in mind.

4 minutes ago
    I wish this one wouldn't have got out. David Griffin is really feeling it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Coreyinthe504 View Post
    I wish this one wouldn't have got out. David Griffin is really feeling it now.
    That is a crazy offer for Hardaway unless at least the last year was a team option.

Yea wait what? Why would we have to add Memphis into the mix?

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    That is a crazy offer for Hardaway unless at least the last year was a team option.
    It is crazy I agree, but how else would we get anyone. It's strange because i know saints never have this much trouble getting guys over here but i know entirely different landscape and saints have been a model of stability recently anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Yea wait what? Why would we have to add Memphis into the mix?
    I don't think Sato can be traded without waiting for aggregation by us if it's in a separate move. I could be wrong, of course, I'm no super cap expert.

Yeah not really sure where the confusion is coming from.

DeRozan is an all-star who just came off a season averaging 22/4/7 on 59%TS, immediately after a season where he averaged 22/5/6 on 60%TS. He's 2x All NBA, and has made extremely impressive strides as a passer in recent years: last season he had 32%AST on only 9%TOV - for comparison, Lonzo was 25%AST to 14%TOV.

DeMar can create his own shot at any moment, can get to the rim, draws FTs (and shoots them well), etc. He's just a better player than Lonzo right now: capable of performing just as well in a much larger and more demanding role.

Combine that with the fact that the Bulls only had one route to acquiring him, and it was through coughing up to the Spurs whereas Chicago was already paying an amount larger than we were reported to be willing to match to Lonzo, it's clear how SAS was able to extract a larger price for their co-operation than we were. No confusion necessary.
    Maybe you are right, but that's where a little game theory is needed. If you are the Pels you consistently message for months that you are all in to resign Lonzo. The Memphis trade? Cap space to bring back Lonzo. Fit? Zion and BI love playing with him. He's developing. He's getting better. We're excited about his future...and so on.

I actually heard the Pels did a fairly convincing job messaging to the Lakers that--if they didn't get the deal they wanted--they'd bring AD back for another year, and just let the frickin' chips fall where they may and Pelinka could explain to LeBron how Davis wasn't around because they tried to get him on the cheap...

Quote Originally Posted by Coreyinthe504 View Post
    It is crazy I agree, but how else would we get anyone. It's strange because i know saints never have this much trouble getting guys over here but i know entirely different landscape and saints have been a model of stability recently anyway.
    The Saints strike out on big free agents almost every year. It's their drafts that has them set up nicely.

I don't think Sato can be traded without waiting for aggregation by us if it's in a separate move. I could be wrong, of course, I'm no super cap expert.
    Could create a three team deal in which Sato goes to team C prior to finalizing the deal with the Bulls though. I don't know why Memphis would need to be involved

4 minutes ago
    It was already tough for us to get FA, but not take a 18 million dollar pay cut tough. Is this about the market or organization not being appealing?

I mean... Oubre is still on the board... Yes I'm being facetious.

Griffin and Langdon are finding out very quickly that a small market teams like New Orleans are not attractive to free agents even if you try to overpay. Seems like they striking out with Plan A,B, and C. It's time they start acting like the Small Market team that we are and make moves and decisions with that in mind.
    You could say this about most teams. Outside of the Lakers, Heat, and maybe Brooklyn, most teams struggle to sign free agents from other teams.

And then most of the time those players are then traded within 2 years because they were given massive overpays... which was the only way they could get them. Kemba Walker and Al Horford are prime examples.

You basically need to luck your way into a superstar and another all star, and hope that they gel quick enough to be title contenders. Then you bring in all the 35 year old aging vets chasing titles for minimum deals.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    It was already tough for us to get FA, but not take a 18 million dollar pay cut tough. Is this about the market or organization not being appealing?
    It's pretty obvious that the Pels offered a 5th year right? And that 5th year may have been a team option. 4/72 and 5/90 are both 18 mil per year. Haven't listened to the mismatch yet but these things can get lost in translation very easily

Thread Information