Pelicans Report

Page 60 of 157 FirstFirst ... 10 50 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 70 110 ... LastLast
Results 1,476 to 1,500 of 3922

Thread: Pels Off season thread

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Why would you give up a pick to get Reddish to have the option of either overpaying him or losing him, when you can just go get a better player now with the MLE and have Murphy cheaper/develop him? Gimme McDermott, with Murphy developing all day over getting Reddish and giving up a pick and then having to talk to his agent next summer about the 4/100 million extension he wants. Then, worrying about him in RFA. You guys keep wanting the Lonzo situation over and over again it seems. A guy who shows flashes of potential that you either have to pay significantly or let go before you ever actually know whether those flashes are signs of things to come or just flashes.

I want to be in that position as infrequently as possible.
    The lack of McDermott buzz (not just from the Pels, but around the league) is confounding to me. Maybe I just haven't been looking in the right places, but I haven't heard much of anything about him other than that most seem to expect him to get around the mid-level. I'd do that in a heartbeat, especially because it's looking like Duncan Robinson is about to get about double that even though he's only 2 years younger and, I think, is a more limited overall player.

I love McDermott, think he improved a ton last season (68% at the rim!!!!), and he's proven to be one of the best shooters in the league throughout his career. If we could get him for around 4/$50, I'd be thrilled.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    The lack of McDermott buzz (not just from the Pels, but around the league) is confounding to me. Maybe I just haven't been looking in the right places, but I haven't heard much of anything about him other than that most seem to expect him to get around the mid-level. I'd do that in a heartbeat, especially because it's looking like Duncan Robinson is about to get about double that even though he's only 2 years younger and, I think, is a more limited overall player.

I love McDermott, think he improved a ton last season (68% at the rim!!!!), and he's proven to be one of the best shooters in the league throughout his career. If we could get him for around 4/$50, I'd be thrilled.
    I like it

Hall of Famer Contributor pjk481's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

Edit: from the article
    Man. I would love us to be able to steal CP3. Hopefully Sarvers true colors come out and he low balls CP3. I?d do 3/100 if it takes it

We gotta stop talking about making moves, whether it's attaining Reddish or retaining Lonzo, on the basis of making Zion happy.

You know what will make Zion happy? Winning. Your best best best hope of keeping Zion when his moment to choose comes up is being a team worth staying on, where yes, a positive environment is important, but all the friends in the world won't keep you around when your team is bad.

Make a winning team. That's what will make Zion happy. Trying half-measures like trading for people he played with at college 3 years ago is what you do when you can't do the main thing. Do the main thing first. If you think Cam Reddish has the upside (and is about to reach it!) to make the gamble worth it, then that's one thing, but doing it because it might make Zion happy is just absurd.
    Now ?dae, that was clearly a minor parenthetical aside in a long post, not ?the reason to do it.?

McDermott is kind of like Mirror Universe Cam Reddish.

Cam Reddish can't shoot worth garbage but he's already pretty solid defensively and looks like he might have a future in that regard.

McDermott can shoot lights out but he defends like he's 39 not 29.

-2.6 D-EPM this year (480th in the league)
    -2.1 D-BPM
    -3.6 D-RAPTOR (244th in the league)
    -1.54 D-LEBRON (279th out of 301 minutes qualifying players)
    BLK and STL %ages both well under 1%
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    Now ?dae, that was clearly a minor parenthetical aside in a long post, not ?the reason to do it.?
    Oh yeah I'm not picking on you specifically, your post just reminded me of it. I've seen people saying stuff like this for a while now, sometimes on here and on Twitter and stuff.

I've seen people argue for acquiring Barrett, Reddish, and retaining Lonzo all on the basis of keeping Zion happy and it's just such a terrible reason.

Quote Originally Posted by pjk481 View Post
    Man. I would love us to be able to steal CP3. Hopefully Sarvers true colors come out and he low balls CP3. I?d do 3/100 if it takes it
    The article does say that things are leaning towards CP3 staying in Phoenix, so it's apparently not likely. But there was interest, at least.

So MM you are a hard pass on Reddish regardless of price, even if it was, say, a couple of second rounders and a pick swap + Iwundu or a lottery protected Bucks first rounder in ?25? This is because you believe Reddish is just ?a guy? and you don?t want the Pels to be faced with his agent trying to shake us down?
    I see it differently. If the price is low enough, it?s a two-year look see at a high upside guy who even now gives you a long wing defender on the cheap for two more years (not to mention it might make Zion a little happier to get an old teammate). If that?s all he turns out to be, so be it. Don?t give him a second contract. Unload him at the ?23 trade deadline and recoup some of your buy money. If you don?t trust management to exercise that kind of discipline, that?s on management. You don?t decline an underpriced asset now because you don?t trust yourself not to bid it up later. That?s nutty.
    Look at all the assumptions you made in this post just to maybe make it a wise move. First, you assumed a low asking price. Then, you assumed he would show you one way or another what he will be by trade deadline of 2023. Then, you assumed if he did show that he wasnt good enough by trade deadline of 2023 that someome, for some reason, would give you positive assets back for him for the right to then have the awful decision to over pay him or let him go

I mean, sure, in your world where all that happens it is a fine move. But thats not the most likely way any of those 3 steps in the process play out
    @mcnamara247

Why couldn't anyone trade a pick for Reddish in this draft?

Surely Knicks could have traded 19 and 21 for Reddish

OKC 16 and 18?

I believe the prevalence of “ifs” indicates I’m not making assumptions about how things would turn out but positing reasonable possibilities. Of course Reddish could be absolute garbage, in which case’ bad move. He could be great in which case, yahoo. But perhaps I buried the lede. What price, in your mind, is reasonable to pay for Reddish, if any? And would you really not do a deal because you think the organization would be Shanghaied into overpaying him? I’m aware of your philosophy of waiting until after the second contract on most guys when their price drops and they’ve accepted their roles, but don’t you want to roll the dice on some guys with upside if (yes if) you can get them on the cheap. On Reddish I’m just going on public reports on what the Hawks are looking for + their roster situation, but I don’t assume to know as fact what their asking price is or even if he is available.

Hahaha. Leading up to the 2019 draft, some people built the most ostentatious fortress on top of the "Cam Reddish will never be a good NBA player" hill. That kid could on to a career so amazing that he stars as the lead in Space Jam 3 and they would still die on that hill.

His skillset is not exciting to most teams, but alongside Zion, BI, JV, NAW, Kira, et al......that would be very exciting.
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 07-31-2021 at 10:52 AM.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

I believe the prevalence of “ifs” indicates I’m not making assumptions about how things would turn out but positing reasonable possibilities. Of course Reddish could be absolute garbage, in which case’ bad move. He could be great in which case, yahoo. But perhaps I buried the lede. What price, in your mind, is reasonable to pay for Reddish, if any? And would you really not do a deal because you think the organization would be Shanghaied into overpaying him? I’m aware of your philosophy of waiting until after the second contract on most guys when their price drops and they’ve accepted their roles, but don’t you want to roll the dice on some guys with upside if (yes if) you can get them on the cheap. On Reddish I’m just going on public reports on what the Hawks are looking for + their roster situation, but I don’t assume to know as fact what their asking price is or even if he is available.
    The most I would do is Iwundu and multiple 2nds. The other thing you need to factor in is minutes as a resource. To find out if he is good, I got to give him minutes. And those are minutes I am not giving to Murphy and/or Herb Jones or Didi or Naji maybe.

This is the most forgotten factor amongst people who just want to add, add, add - there is an unintentional negative cost with guys currently on the roster. I am a bigger fan of not splitting up developmental minutes amongst so many guys. Let Murphy get 12 per game this year, even if he performs worse than a guy on the min would in those 12 minutes. Or in this case, even if Cam would be better. Building this roster of 12, 13 deep, with 10 young dudes all seems good in theory until you see so many of them not playing and/or developing because there are deminishing returns when you do that.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    So, I like to watch Josh Hart stream and he has been saying things lately that makes me assume he is gone. He mentioned house hunting and change of pace and things like that. Someone asked if he was coming back to Nola and he didn’t seem confident. My question is does anyone believe he isn’t coming back? This off-season has been really odd as far as retaining any of the players from last year that are free agents. I, personally, want Willy and Josh back.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Hahaha. Leading up to the 2019 draft, some people built the most ostentatious fortress on top of the "Cam Reddish will never be a good NBA player" hill. That kid could on to a career so amazing that he stars as the lead in Space Jam 3 and they would still die on that hill.

His skillset is not exciting to most teams, but alongside Zion, BI, JV, NAW, Kira, et al......that would be very exciting.
    He shot 48% TS this year and had a TOV% almost twice his AST%. He is years away from being a good player, if he ever gets there. Again, there's a reason ATL is prioritising shopping him before his extension comes up and not Huerter.

CCC2 with him and Zion. Guess hiring Green was not enough to get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    CCC2 with him and Zion. Guess hiring Green was not enough to get it done.
    They almost won a championship and, as optimistic as even our local realists are feeling, we didn't make the play in tourney. I know that it's my opinion we could contend with CP3 but that was always going to be a tough sell.

Brogdon and Portis have a nice swish to it from the 3 pt Line. Lol

Portis definitely a player that I like us to look into to be honest. Be perfect PF pairing with Zion.

Definitely feel like Portis would be a really good FA acquisition.

Your offer may be good if you change the 3/100 to 2/100. CP has a PO north of 44 mil he is declining. Looking for a 50 mil per yr deal.

That was necessary.

Hall of Famer
    So what's the backup plan if lowry passes on coming here which is more likely than not

Thread Information