Pelicans Report

Page 24 of 157 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 34 74 124 ... LastLast

Thread: Pels Off season thread

I understood Griffin on the Adam’s deal. I won’t diss Griffin on that nor do I call it a blunder.

To understand Griffin on the Adams deal is to understand why Griffins a huge fan of Presti.

Adams imo is a school. Just like Horford. Just like Cp3. In my opinion, Griffin understands that the current value on his team is locked up in the front court and Griffin loves examining his locker rooms (Some say he’s too involved). To complain solely about Adams on court production is neglecting why he truly was brought here.
    I think all our frontcourt players - all of them except Adams - left this season at a profit. Our front court play over performed imho and I won’t be naive not to shake Adams hand.

In short, Myles Turner is not school.

Quote Originally Posted by Wowowowow View Post
    I understood Griffin on the Adam’s deal. I won’t diss Griffin on that nor do I call it a blunder.

To understand Griffin on the Adams deal is to understand why Griffins a huge fan of Presti.

Adams imo is a school. Just like Horford. Just like Cp3. In my opinion, Griffin understands that the current value on his team is locked up in the front court and Griffin loves examining his locker rooms (Some say he’s too involved). To complain solely about Adams on court production is neglecting why he truly was brought here.
    I think all our frontcourt players - all of them except Adams - left this season at a profit. Our front court play over performed imho and I won’t be naive not to shake Adams hand.

Presti GOT assets for those guys you mentioned. And then flipped them for more assets on the back end

So, I dont think understanding Presti helps you understand Griff, because its actually almost the complete opposite
    @mcnamara247

What? The trade was a disaster. It was reported that OKC would likely have to attach a pick to get rid of him and instead got Griffin to give up a 1st and 2 2nds without have having to take on Bledsoe and instead get Hill (who was turned into 2 more 2nds).

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    What? The trade was a disaster. It was reported that OKC would likely have to attach a pick to get rid of him and instead got Griffin to give up a 1st and 2 2nds without have having to take on Bledsoe and instead get Hill (who was turned into 2 more 2nds).
    I love how its a universal consensus that it was a disaster now, when there were like 3 of us killing it that week while everyone else was either saying it was a neutral/not bad, or even some said it was good. People better hope nobody wants to take the time to go dig up the takes on that trade when it happened......

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Presti GOT assets for those guys you mentioned. And then flipped them for more assets on the back end

So, I dont think understanding Presti helps you understand Griff, because its actually almost the complete opposite
    I think this is overselling what Presti did. He got “assets” from Horford in the form of the 16th pick and had to take on a huge liability in return. It’s like getting paid $5 today to get slapped in the face on Friday, but then turning around tomorrow and trading that for another $5 and getting slapped in the face twice on Saturday. Then going around on Friday bragging that you got paid $10 to get someone else to get slapped in the face.

Also CP3 still had value, just that most teams couldn’t fit in his contract.

I love how its a universal consensus that it was a disaster now, when there were like 3 of us killing it that week while everyone else was either saying it was a neutral/not bad, or even some said it was good. People better hope nobody wants to take the time to go dig up the takes on that trade when it happened......
    I think the majority of rational posters thought it was terrible initially (because objectively it was bad value regardless of on the court stuff) and then tried to rationalize to where it would work out in the best case scenario and that's a totally fair reaction that doesnt deserve to be chastised. We could trade Zion for Ben Simmons tomorrow and I'd spend the first week hating on it doom and gloom and then trying my best to be optimistic about it afterwards.

it's just what fans do to stay sane. Especially with this team.

Pull it up. Didn't like it when it happened. moreso for the cost of getting him and the extension.

https://www.pelicansreport.com/showt...-Steven-Adams/

However, I would think even those that initially liked it could admit it was a disaster in response to those that are still defending it.

Bet a dollar to a donut that Ben Simmons ends up on the Pelican roster next year and Bledsoe will end up on Philly's either permanently or as a pass through. Most in Philly want to keep Simmons less than we want to keep Lonzo.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Bet a dollar to a donut that Ben Simmons ends up on the Pelican roster next year and Bledsoe will end up on Philly's either permanently or as a pass through. Most in Philly want to keep Simmons less than we want to keep Lonzo.
    I will put up the donut if you want to put up the dollar

Can't see it. Griffin is looking for shooting. Simmons in the opposite of that.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    I think the majority of rational posters thought it was terrible initially (because objectively it was bad value regardless of on the court stuff) and then tried to rationalize to where it would work out in the best case scenario and that's a totally fair reaction that doesnt deserve to be chastised. We could trade Zion for Ben Simmons tomorrow and I'd spend the first week hating on it doom and gloom and then trying my best to be optimistic about it afterwards.

it's just what fans do to stay sane. Especially with this team.
    The crazy thing about it is that Adams and Bledsoe are obviously not good fits together even before the trade. One is a paint statue and the other is a rim runner. That in itself should have been the reason to not make the trade. It’s not like these guys were different players before coming to New Orleans. They performed exactly how someone with basketball knowledge would think they would. Adams comes here and they expect him to be the scorer on the pick n roll because the guards can’t score. When in fact, he has always been a dominant screener for the guard to score and has never been a dominant rim roller and finisher. The use of the two of them alone was absolutely mind boggling, but that’s the story of this franchise.

I will put up the donut if you want to put up the dollar
    I'm in.

I'm in.
    Okay.... tell me your favorite flavor. I like my dollar green

Simmons aint coming here. Looking forward to buying a Slurpee

Pull it up. Didn't like it when it happened. moreso for the cost of getting him and the extension.

https://www.pelicansreport.com/showt...-Steven-Adams/

However, I would think even those that initially liked it could admit it was a disaster in response to those that are still defending it.
    I would like to agree but I was still having two people tell me just a few weeks ago it wasnt that bad, especially since his salary goes down now!!

Okay.... tell me your favorite flavor. I like my dollar green

Simmons aint coming here. Looking forward to buying a Slurpee
    I promise...I'll come through. If I win, give my donut to a needy person at an interstate exit.

How was it disaster on an overall value sense tho when I?m saying Adams value imho wasn?t all about on court. His presence on the team to me shaped the quality of our frontcourt in their formative years. Looking back - it what was had to be done.

Guys and talking picks and who we got rid of, who came in...but you can?t put a value on school.

Outside of the cost which could have been Jeryl Sasser as much as it could have been Draymond, I?m glad Griffin paid a price for our pups to go to school. I?m not regretting it if Zion, Hayes, BI, improved with him around.

Your argument only holds water if we couldnt have gotten that same "schooling" from guys with little to no acquisition cost. Other teams, like Memphis and OKC, have gotten that same schooling and presence from guys for nothing or actually received assets to take

Again, what EXACTLY, was the "overpay" for Adams? Enumerate or stipulate the "overpay." Thanks.

FYI...the odds of Zion signing his rookie max extension here are 99.99%.

The odds of Zion signing his designated rookie max here is 99.9999999999% if he makes All-NBA next year.

Just would like to point that out among rumorville cultists also.

Your argument only holds water if we couldnt have gotten that same "schooling" from guys with little to no acquisition cost. Other teams, like Memphis and OKC, have gotten that same schooling and presence from guys for nothing or actually received assets to take
    And you argument only holds water if you can tell me the precise cost of a School of Steven Adams for Zion and Jaxson Hayes versus who ever you think Memphis had lecturing and the ceiling of their students.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Again, what EXACTLY, was the "overpay" for Adams? Enumerate or stipulate the "overpay." Thanks.

FYI...the odds of Zion signing his rookie max extension here are 99.99%.

The odds of Zion signing his designated rookie max here is 99.9999999999% if he makes All-NBA next year.

Just would like to point that out among rumorville cultists also.
    So much wrong here.....per usual. Wont explain the Adams thing for the 1000th time. I will allow someone else to do it. But you dont understand the ALL NBA rule with Zion, even though I wrote an entire detailed post on it. Zion making All NBA next year literally has zero impact on the contract we can offer him next summer

And you argument only holds water if you can tell me the precise cost of a School of Steven Adams for Zion and Jaxson Hayes versus who ever you think Memphis had lecturing and the ceiling of their students.
    Nobody can measure it. And thats why people will always be able to make these vague arguments about this great value Adams have that cant be proved or measured. Its actually an enviable position to be in. You can just point to this phantom leadership and I cant argue against it. Cant disprove it. I actually envy your position.

Nobody can measure it. And thats why people will always be able to make these vague arguments about this great value Adams have that cant be proved or measured. Its actually an enviable position to be in. You can just point to this phantom leadership and I cant argue against it. Cant disprove it. I actually envy your position.
    Thanks. Now imagine if that’s honestly how a top Law firm in the country treated a Harvard graduate? You know how they evaluate it...Zion and Jaxson Hayes. If they become duds, you’ll be right. But...

Thanks. Now imagine if that’s honestly how a top Law firm in the country treated a Harvard graduate? You know how they evaluate it...Zion and Jaxson Hayes. If they become duds, you’ll be right. But...
    But how do you automatically give the credit to Adams? Where is the evidence? You are absolutely sure that if they bring in Aron Baynes for 7 mil and no assets, they would have been different players?

I just dont buy it. I see OKC and Memphis getting incentivized to take on vets and those guys being tremendous leaders for their young guys. I think the Adams trade was awful and since a fan never wants to admit something was a total lose, you hang on to this vague "leadership" boost he gave, yet can never prove it. But, you're right - I cant disprove it either

The exact rules around the designated extension for ALL to see:

When a player was eligible for his rookie extension, teams were allowed to offer the player up to 30% of the salary cap for a single season as the max contract if the player had been voted an All-Star starter twice, made an All-NBA team twice or won the league MVP. Prior to this, teams could not offer more than 25% of the salary cap on an extension to a player with so few years of service in the league. The rule was slightly adjusted with the most recent CBA so that a player is eligible if he makes an All-NBA team or wins Defensive Player of the Year in the season preceding the first season on the extension or in any two of the three seasons preceding the extension, or if the player wins MVP in any of the three seasons preceding the extension.
    Ok so if he makes All-NBA in year 4, there is a 99.999999999% chance he signs his designated extension. THere is also a 99.999% chance he signs it even if he doesn't. That fact remains.

The bottom line is, he has about 5 options, and simply playing on the QO in year 4 is at the complete bottom of the totem pole. It's not going to happen. It won't for Doncic either. The point still remains.

As for Steven Adams...still waiting on the exact overpay. What I've heard so far is basically we gave up a young promising player in Kenrich Williams...whom has already been replaced by a guy whom I was told "will be forgotten about in 2 years" by a resident sage. What else?

Thread Information