Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Consequences of Griff. Comments? Fines, Loss of a draft pick?

NBA Consequences of Griff. Comments? Fines, Loss of a draft pick?

So how will the NBA respond to Griffin comments after blowing up pretty much everyone from officials to the NBA front office? I know if he has said that in the NFL he would get the death penalty. Back to the NBA how do you think they react? Hefty fine? Loss of a future draft pick? Nothing?

Yeah I get it needed to be said be don't think the NBA is going to sit back and not retaliate.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Take a pick? Dafuq?! What gives you the slightest idea that’s a consequence? That would be some competition violating crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Take a pick? Dafuq?! What gives you the slightest idea that’s a consequence? That would be some competition violating crap.
    Hold my beer,

Roger Goodell

So you think the NBA will apologize to us?

Fines yes but a loss of a draft pick is stupid for the comments he made...unless you go under the table type deals like the joe smith fiasco then that they take away your draft picks

Don’t we already lose a draft pick if Lakers don’t make playoff?

No. Maybe a fine

No matter Griff's method...visual proof is a hard evidence to ignore; much less punish. The league has already publicly admitted to mishandling Zion-related no calls (Ingram-related no-calls for that matter also) on multiple occasions. It would not serve the league's best interest to punish the Pelicans (and their future player spokesmodel by proxy). They might not like Griff's candid talk, but can anybody deny that it is justified if Griff and the club have exhausted all approved avenues of recourse?

Also, those members of the media that are sympathetic to Griff's claim would have a field day in sports talk programing and print if the league was heavy handed in this matter. It could become a public relations nightmare for the league that will open a can of worms they might not want to have opened up (ie: Flopping, technical fouls, flagrant fouls, instant replay, coach's challenges, Role of the Secaucus Replay Center, Referee training, etc).

If I were the commissioner, I would want to get this behind us as soon as possible. Punishing Griff will only exacerbate it.
    Last edited by As I See It; 05-08-2021 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    So you think the NBA will apologize to us?
    At worst and most likely he gets fined.

At best nothing at all happens.

At worst and most likely he gets fined.

At best nothing at all happens.
    Yeah, agreed. I think he gets fined.

I'm not sure where 13's ''either losing a draft pick is realistic or the NBA will grovel on their knees, these are the only two possibilities'' thing comes from. Like, they could just do what they do every time someone criticises the refs, issue a fine, and move on.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    No matter Griff's method...visual proof is a hard evidence to ignore; much less punish. The league has already publicly admitted to mishandling Zion-related no calls (Ingram-related no-calls for that matter also) on multiple occasions. It would not serve the league's best interest to punish the Pelicans (and their future player spokesmodel by proxy). They might not like Griff's candid talk, but can anybody deny that it is justified if Griff and the club have exhausted all approved avenues of recourse?

Also, those members of the media that are sympathetic to Griff's claim would have a field day in sports talk programing and print if the league was heavy handed in this matter. It could become a public relations nightmare for the league that will open a can of worms they might not want to have opened up (ie: Flopping, technical fouls, flagrant fouls, instant replay, coach's challenges, Role of the Secaucus Replay Center, Referee training, etc).

If I were the commissioner, I would want to get this behind us as soon as possible. Punishing Griff will only exacerbate it.
    Agree. A shame it had to come down to this but so be it. Surely the nba won’t add fuel to the fire like the NFL does to us constantly. #Pelslife.

So how will the NBA respond to Griffin comments after blowing up pretty much everyone from officials to the NBA front office? I know if he has said that in the NFL he would get the death penalty. Back to the NBA how do you think they react? Hefty fine? Loss of a future draft pick? Nothing?

Yeah I get it needed to be said be don't think the NBA is going to sit back and not retaliate.
    They will gift us a top 3 pick for the trouble.

You have one job as a Pelicans fan - Know all the picks we own. None of the games will ever matter, so know the picks and know the rules about the lotto. Nothing else matters.
    @mcnamara247

Got it

three picks
    Right now, the Pelicans have three picks in the 2021 NBA Draft though that could change based on where the Lakers end up. The Pelicans have their own pick in the first round, but right now the Lakers' pick would defer to 2022, as it is protected at 8-30, so unlikely to be conveyed this season.

Other than that this team stinks, this coach stinks, quit calling and emailing me to buy a season ticket next season. It is not happening unless I see change. I’m not the only one either. Zion won’t stay long either.

Got it

three picks
    Right now, the Pelicans have three picks in the 2021 NBA Draft though that could change based on where the Lakers end up. The Pelicans have their own pick in the first round, but right now the Lakers' pick would defer to 2022, as it is protected at 8-30, so unlikely to be conveyed this season.
    I thought they have 4 picks with 3, 2nd round picks after the JJ Redick trade?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    And how many do we trade away? Yeah I’m not reading the draft prediction thread yet. Why waste time on this when you are probably wrong. The posters at Saints Report learned this for the Saints draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    We do, but the odds of us actually picking players for the team with 3 second rounders are very small. Much more likely we either trade them into the future, package them together to move up in this draft (perhaps into the late first), include them in a player trade as a sweetener, or - if none of those options materialise - we just stash with them.

We've got 5 picks

Our first and 4 seconds

Do I hear 6 ? Going once? Twice?

Verdict is in

Verdict is in

Money Well Spent!!

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Money Well Spent!!
    Should have been $25,000

Verdict is in

That is a hefty fine to say the least. But it needed to be said imo. I think local media needs to keep this train rolling and continue to be vocal about this. One of these days Zion will get hit by another Dwight Howard flagrant and get seriously injured if they don’t crack down on this ish. Players are just incentivized to whack Z.

One of the few things Griffin has done right.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    You have one job as a Pelicans fan - Know all the picks we own. None of the games will ever matter, so know the picks and know the rules about the lotto. Nothing else matters.
    My mind is 100% lotto balls and Jay Bilas’s punchable face.

Thread Information