Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Naji off the two way

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    It doesnt. The plan right now is to bring in more higher end talent. Higher end talent costs money and when you have a more top heavy roster, you need to have some very cheap rotation pieces on the back end. But yes, if someone gives Hart 15 mil per, Griff lets him walk. But I think that was gonna be the case whether he found Naji and signed him or not. Griff is going all out for a needle mover, and if he cant get a real needle mover (I dont think he can), he will at least get two fairly well paid players to replace Lonzo and Bledsoe and those guys will make more than the 26 mil they are making this year.

I think of it more as replacing the JJ (now Johnson) rotation and salary spot with Naji and his miniscule salary
    Do you think it is a foregone conclusion that Ball is gone? Are they confident they can unload Bledsoe? Any chance 3 or 4 of our 2nd rounders and cash could be attached to Bledsoe to move him? Any team desperate enough for 2nd rounders?

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Flexibility is good, but Thornwell was a complete unknown, so would have made no sense to guarantee him.

Naji is in house, has shown more than enough to earn a guaranteed minimum and you need to fill your bench with those guys.
    I like the signing, just surprised at the guarantee (especially if it really is 3 years guaranteed).

Here are the details. Years three and four are not guaranteed, so the club is not overtly exposed.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/new-orle...arshall-70704/

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    He's much closer to starting material than Kira is now...maybe ever.
    Is Kira ceiling a starter? Always was told he was a fringe starter role player at best in his draft profile.

This is a great signing and nice pick up for the Pels. I'm really happy for Naji - He earned this contract.

He is already a legitimate rotation guy with real talent. He's not a Kenrich Williams. Has a complete floor game on both sides of the court that will only get better despite his age.

He did all these things at Xavier as well against some good competition.

Great pickup.

He also makes Josh expendable.

Well done Naji, he earned it.
    Just another Kiwi basking in the reflected glory of Steven Adams....bask bask...

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    He is already a legitimate rotation guy with real talent. He's not a Kenrich Williams. Has a complete floor game on both sides of the court that will only get better despite his age.

He did all these things at Xavier as well against some good competition.

Great pickup.

I agree with you....

By the way, I really think this age thing is overrated, if not outright lunacy. If we draft a 19 year old with the idea that he may be special in five years and then we lose them in six, were they really a good selection for a small market team in the first place? (Think about JAX's trajectory) I have no problem whatsoever in selecting a 22 year old who has competed in college for four years and will not require enrollment in a Remedial Basketball for Dummies Class before they are playable. Remember, there are a lot more Dragan Benders, Marquese Chriss', Markell Fultz', Mo Bamas, Jabari Parkers, and Jahlil Okafor (all young lottery picks), then there are Zion Williamsons, Luka Doncics, or Anthony Davis'. No doubt about it, far more "young 'uns" don't work out than do.

With this in mind, if we end up keeping our pick and draft between 10 - 12, my selection would be 22 year old, Corey Kispert. I have to believe he already knows a great deal about how to play the game and his learning curve won't be as steep as a 19 year old's would be at that pick.

I agree with you....

By the way, I really think this age thing is overrated, if not outright lunacy. If we draft a 19 year old with the idea that he may be special in five years and then we lose them in six, were they really a good selection for a small market team in the first place? (Think about JAX's trajectory) I have no problem whatsoever in selecting a 22 year old who has competed in college for four years and will not require enrollment in a Remedial Basketball for Dummies Class before they are playable....
    luke warm take I'm disappointed.

One of mine would be 23 year old Davion Mitchell.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I'm not super locked on Davion Mitchell either unless he slips to the end of the 1st and we jump up to take him.

Congrats to Naji. Falls under the ?makes winning plays? category. Hopefully he can have the same impact Quincy did in his second stint (the injury free stint anyways). Good deal on a minimum.
    Last edited by JJackisangry; 05-07-2021 at 06:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post

Don't see that at all. May be a bit of recency bias since we have not seen Hart for a while. Hart is still a very valuable player to this team as long as his demands are not crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Don't see that at all. May be a bit of recency bias since we have not seen Hart for a while. Hart is still a very valuable player to this team as long as his demands are not crazy.
    Especially, when he was being forced to carry the bench and cover the most difficult assignments that he had no business defending. I think you keep him.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Especially, when he was being forced to carry the bench and cover the most difficult assignments that he had no business defending. I think you keep him.
    Just think of Hart and Naji on the floor together playing defense while Zion does his thing.

Not saying you are wrong, but who will back up Ingram next year...Naji or JHart?

and

Will NAW be the first "2" off the bench or will it be JHart?

I can see him coming back, but all those rebounds he's accumulated might make him an attractive target in Free Agency. So attractive in fact that it might price him off the team depending on the other offseason moves the team might make.

Would you match an eight figure a year salary?

Would you prefer Naji for less than 2mil per year or Hart for 11 or 12?

Quote Originally Posted by PolishFan View Post
    Would you prefer Naji for less than 2mil per year or Hart for 11 or 12?
    Naji for sure

I do like Hart tho, can never have enough hustlers with skill

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Naji for sure

I do like Hart tho, can never have enough hustlers with skill
    I like him too but if some team offers him 12mil per year I wouldn’t match it

Nor would I.

Hart has value but he is not capital V Valuable. There's no reason to suspect that you can't get his production, or 90% of his production, for under $10m a year. The only thing he's notably good at is rebounding, and we have a system/roster that rebounds at a high rate even without him.

Plus, a lot of Hart's rebounds are of the uncontested ''there's a rebound, anyone could grab it but he runs to get it instead of letting it go to whoever is closest'' variety, which is fine and it doesn't hurt the team or anything, but it does mean that just looking at his raw rebounding numbers is a bit misleading. If you look at his contested rebound numbers (that is, the boards he ''fights'' for) he actually has a lower Contested REB% than Naji anyway (26.8% for Hart, 29.2% for Naji), so I don't think replacing Hart with Naji is like, ruinous for your rebounding capacity as a team.
    Basketball.

Unless we have a sign and trade in place with another team.

Not saying you are wrong, but who will back up Ingram next year...Naji or JHart?

and

Will NAW be the first "2" off the bench or will it be JHart?

I can see him coming back, but all those rebounds he's accumulated might make him an attractive target in Free Agency. So attractive in fact that it might price him off the team depending on the other offseason moves the team might make.

Would you match an eight figure a year salary?
    As I said, unless the price was unreasonable.

Now, Naji's progression may make management more stringent in its stance in negotiations with Hart, if they are looking at expensive players this offseason as MM suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Nor would I.

Hart has value but he is not capital V Valuable. There's no reason to suspect that you can't get his production, or 90% of his production, for under $10m a year. The only thing he's notably good at is rebounding, and we have a system/roster that rebounds at a high rate even without him.

Plus, a lot of Hart's rebounds are of the uncontested ''there's a rebound, anyone could grab it but he runs to get it instead of letting it go to whoever is closest'' variety, which is fine and it doesn't hurt the team or anything, but it does mean that just looking at his raw rebounding numbers is a bit misleading. If you look at his contested rebound numbers (that is, the boards he ''fights'' for) he actually has a lower Contested REB% than Naji anyway (26.8% for Hart, 29.2% for Naji), so I don't think replacing Hart with Naji is like, ruinous for your rebounding capacity as a team.
    Not sure that is fair. Contested rebounds is such a vague evaluation. When another player boxes out well for a teammate to get the rebound, likely does not show up as contested, but no less of a rebound. That is what a team is supposed to do. Hart is a very good rebounder. That stat means very little.

I'm surprised no one has added the fact Josh Hart is injury prone. He hasn't played 70 or more games a season yet. I get that it's a tough schedule but that would also be a factor if some other team wants to pay him 12-15mil. I prob would pass as well esp now w/ this deal and if we can get shooters to surround Zion w/ in FA.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by sterlr View Post
    Just think of Hart and Naji on the floor together playing defense while Zion does his thing.

naji and hart playing off ball defense would be great.....now if we can find a guard that can play good on ball defense to play on side naji and hart would be great...

I'll be honest, Hart seems like a great teammate and he's a good player but I dont want him back at the price he'll demand. Guys with his skill set need to be good shooters. Especially for this team.

Now if he was a good shooter he could ask for a lot more money, so if you think he can be above league average from 3 pay him. I'm just skeptical personally.

Thread Information