Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Naji off the two way

Pelicans Naji off the two way

New Orleans Pelicans two-way forward Naji Marshall has agreed to a new three-year, $5.3 million deal, with rest of this season and next season fully guaranteed, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium. Marshall has had a strong rookie season.
    Unclear as to whether this is year 0 or year 1 though

I'm assuming it's year 1

This is year 1, next year will be fully guaranteed around 1.8 mil and then an option for following year

Edit: Shams saying it could be a year longer. Either way, a very low risk deal with medium possible upside. No reason to dislike it. Just a question of how much to.like it
    Last edited by MichaelMcNamara; 05-06-2021 at 10:51 AM.
    @mcnamara247

That's vet min salary. Outrageously good deal for the Pels, considering Meli had 1 skill and was getting about 3.5 for, which he sucked at
    Last edited by AusPel; 05-06-2021 at 11:07 AM.

Basketball Guru
    dude earned it with his play....no one should dislike naji earning his contract...

I still think its as likely he has a Darius Miller Pels career (few moments here and there but never a true regular rotation guy) as he will be a solid 8th man or better. I see all the intangibles but very few tangibles and the try hard guys are great to have in the dog days of the season but you are also always trying to replace them with more talented guys because everyone tries in the postseason. So you need talent.

At this point, the young man is the best rookie on the roster, BY FAR!!!

A Griff/Trajan acquisition that works!!

Good deal. A little surprised he got the whole year guaranteed though. Would have expected some partial guarantee at most.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    At this point, the young man is the best rookie on the roster, BY FAR!!!

A Griff/Trajan acquisition that works!!
    He is also 4 years older than the other rookie. Would hope he is better

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Good deal. A little surprised he got the whole year guaranteed though. Would have expected some partial guarantee at most.
    It was the cost of getting a later guaranteed date on the final year. Have to give to get in negotiations

We really arguing over minimum salary getting fully guaranteed?

Of all the contracts to get annoyed at being fully guaranteed, lunacy directing it at Naji's min
    Last edited by AusPel; 05-06-2021 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    We really arguing over minimum salary getting fully guaranteed?
    Making a comment is not arguing. It is a discussion board.

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    dude earned it with his play....no one should dislike naji earning his contract...
    Exactly. This is a good deal for the Pels. He plays hard and hopefully will stop missing easy layups

Making a comment is not arguing. It is a discussion board.
    But why would you even be slightly concerned at giving Naji the min

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    He is also 4 years older than the other rookie. Would hope he is better
    I'm with you. It's just a shame that when the other two rookies on the current team are four years older, they will be four years older and probably on another team...as you suggest.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I’m glad he’s done well for what he is. If he fully grasps defense, he could be quite good at it.

Naji has flashed promise in multiple areas. Even though he's older he's still a rookie, so way too early to say who he's going to be.

6'7" wings who have the ability to defend, shoot, and pass don't grow on trees.

I'd like to see him grow using the corners more. That's where guys like him make the big money.

Shams Charania
    @ShamsCharania
    ?
    3h
    Marshall’s new deal with the Pelicans has three fully guaranteed seasons (2021-23) — and a guarantee trigger date for the 2023-24 season, sources said.
    Quote Tweet

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    But why would you even be slightly concerned at giving Naji the min
    The same reason we would have been upset if Sindarius' minimum contract was fully guaranteed. We would not have saved any cap room by releasing him and as close to the luxury tax as we were, that could have been an issue. It is simply a matter of a little flexibility. Not a huge issue, just a discussion. Is that sufficient enough for you?

Yeah I like this.

Even if his performance with this team is an outlier and he's bad next year it costs next to nothing, and if his current play continues or even improves you have a legitimate rotation win through the rest of Zions rookie deal who can play on or off the ball and play defense. Big value.
    Basketball.

It's nice to not overpay for a bench piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    It's nice to not overpay for a bench piece.
    He's much closer to starting material than Kira is now...maybe ever.

The same reason we would have been upset if Sindarius' minimum contract was fully guaranteed. We would not have saved any cap room by releasing him and as close to the luxury tax as we were, that could have been an issue. It is simply a matter of a little flexibility. Not a huge issue, just a discussion. Is that sufficient enough for you?
    Flexibility is good, but Thornwell was a complete unknown, so would have made no sense to guarantee him.

Naji is in house, has shown more than enough to earn a guaranteed minimum and you need to fill your bench with those guys.

JUST A THOUGHT

I wonder if Naji's signing might be a a precursor on how the club feels about re-signing Josh Hart. Hart's minutes at the SF may be quite limited now and there is a potential traffic jam at the 2.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    JUST A THOUGHT

I wonder if Naji's signing might be a a precursor on how the club feels about re-signing Josh Hart. Hart's minutes at the SF may be quite limited now and there is a potential traffic jam at the 2.
    It doesnt. The plan right now is to bring in more higher end talent. Higher end talent costs money and when you have a more top heavy roster, you need to have some very cheap rotation pieces on the back end. But yes, if someone gives Hart 15 mil per, Griff lets him walk. But I think that was gonna be the case whether he found Naji and signed him or not. Griff is going all out for a needle mover, and if he cant get a real needle mover (I dont think he can), he will at least get two fairly well paid players to replace Lonzo and Bledsoe and those guys will make more than the 26 mil they are making this year.

I think of it more as replacing the JJ (now Johnson) rotation and salary spot with Naji and his miniscule salary

Thread Information