Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: May 3rd - New Orleans Pelicans @ Golden State - 29-35

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Green may not score points, but to say he is non threat offensively is a bit of a stretch. He's the offensive straw that stirs the drink. He was "Point Zion" long before there was a "Point Zion". He's the orchestrator; the guy who facilitates the entire offense (and still manages to play a little defense). He leads the team in Assists, can shoot a free throw, and somehow manages to lead the team in rebounding (and still manages to shoot 43%+ from the field).

Sorry, the new-age "Point Zion" does not measure up yet (maybe never will).
    I am struggling to see how this ties in with the need for a "stretch center"

Again, my point is that we need smart guys in here. Ball movers, creators, etc. far more than we need a 7 foot guy who can stand behind the arc and maybe he 1-2 three's a game.
    @mcnamara247

I saw this proposal in an article today; enjoy. I'm all in!!

New Orleans Pelicans Receive: C Jonas Valanciunas, F Kyle Anderson

Memphis Grizzlies Receive: C Steven Adams, G Eric Bledsoe, 2021 first-round pick, 2022 second-round pick (via Cleveland Cavaliers)

The Pelicans need to start making the playoffs as soon as next season to keep the young core happy, especially with Zion Williamson becoming extension eligible in 2022.

Adams is a solid center, but having two non-thee-point shooters on the court at the same time in today's NBA is a death sentence for spacing.

Valanciunas has only gotten better as an outside shooter, going 21-of-55 this season (38.2 percent) from beyond the arc. He's got the same type of toughness Adams brings on defense and on the boards, but with a better overall offensive game.

Anderson is the ideal sixth man, able to play and defend multiple positions while acting as both scorer and playmaker. He's enjoying a career year with 12.2 points, 5.9 rebounds, 3.5 assists, 1.3 steals and a 34.9 percent mark from three.

Getting off Bledsoe's contract while freeing up more minutes for the young guards would be a blessing as well.

Adams is basically the basketball equivalent of a grizzly bear, so it seems only right he play in Memphis. He's a far better fit alongside Jaren Jackson Jr., who spends more offensive time on the perimeter than Zion Williamson. Having Adams around means Jackson doesn't have to defend opposing centers, either.

Bledsoe gives Ja Morant a veteran in the backcourt to learn from, but primarily nets the Grizzlies the Pelicans first-round pick in this year's draft, a selection that's currently projected to be 11th overall.

New Orleans gets better immediately while Memphis adds a lottery pick to try and land a third star in the draft.

I would do that in a microsecond but no way Memphis would. Jonas is insanely valuable to that team both on and off the court and they dont need another middling young prospect. They have tasted the playoff/play in twice now and want to move up, not down. They actually have too many guys and I would anticipate they try to package a few of them and a pick or two to get better, not worse.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I am struggling to see how this ties in with the need for a "stretch center"

Again, my point is that we need smart guys in here. Ball movers, creators, etc. far more than we need a 7 foot guy who can stand behind the arc and maybe he 1-2 three's a game.
    I'm not against what you are saying...I simply think that we need a center who has to be guarded. If we had one, it would open up the rim for Zion, BI and even Ball (if he remains in the mix). Playing four on five just isn't working.

I'm not against what you are saying...I simply think that we need a center who has to be guarded. If we had one, it would open up the rim for Zion, BI and even Ball (if he remains in the mix). Playing four on five just isn't working.
    I think you would see that if we had one - Olynyk to use your example - that the trade off for a little more space but worse defense and worse screen setting, less offensive rebounds, etc would be a net neutral trade off. It wouldnt move the needle. The guard who could run the offense, settle things down, get to the line (which neither Lonzo or Bledsoe do), etc would move the needle far, far more

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I think you would see that if we had one - Olynyk to use your example - that the trade off for a little more space but worse defense and worse screen setting, less offensive rebounds, etc would be a net neutral trade off. It wouldnt move the needle. The guard who could run the offense, settle things down, get to the line (which neither Lonzo or Bledsoe do), etc would move the needle far, far more
    Fair enough, I can't imagine the defense being worse, but I'm just stubborn. And I definitely think the games of both Zion and Ingram (maybe even more than Zion) would benefit with an accessible rim. The energy it takes now to get there on the offensive end is enormous.

Fair enough, I can't imagine the defense being worse, but I'm just stubborn. And I definitely think the games of both Zion and Ingram (maybe even more than Zion) would benefit with an accessible rim. The energy it takes now to get there on the offensive end is enormous.
    I agree with MM . The main weaknesses in this team have been (a) guards (b) defence (c) bench so trading for a stretch five doesn't necessarily mean a net improvement. IMO our centre mix is solid at the moment with Adams/Jax/Billy its the backcourt that needs a rebuild more than anything.
    Just another Kiwi basking in the reflected glory of Steven Adams....bask bask...

Thread Information