Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: May 3rd - New Orleans Pelicans @ Golden State - 29-35

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    I said it the other night. He is an absurdly streaky shooter. Will hit 6 one night then 0 the next. That’s fine on the bench but it kills you in the starting lineup.
    The only consistent thing about him is inconsistency.
    Basketball.

Can they just give Naji a contract in the locker room tonight? The only one that seems to have a clue on defense.

You can build the roster by hitting bunt singles. He's a very nice single that looks like a possible homerun in a few short years.

Typical disappointing game from the Pelicans

I know some will love this, but disappointed in Ingram tonight. You cant take just 11 shots in a game like this. Got woefully outshot by Lonzo. If that was the game plan then that's horrid.

Curry was 3 - 9 on the 3 ball at one point, but that sure as hell doesn't deter him from shooting.

Even if they send two your way you have to get shots up.

If the toe is that bad then dont play.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I know some will love this, but disappointed in Ingram tonight. You cant take just 11 shots in a game like this. Got woefully outshot by Lonzo. If that was the game plan then that's horrid.

Curry was 3 - 9 on the 3 ball at one point, but that sure as hell doesn't deter him from shooting.

Completely agree. He started off cold and played timid the rest of the night. That's just not acceptable; there's no reason (unless very strange things are going on) for him to be taking fewer shots than Lonzo Ball. He's better than this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Completely agree. He started off cold and played timid the rest of the night. That's just not acceptable; there's no reason (unless very strange things are going on) for him to be taking fewer shots than Lonzo Ball. He's better than this.
    Wiggins was kind of really grinding him down all game is probably why and was just being physical from the start...

Man... If those Lillard trade speculation would come to fruition. It be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Wiggins was kind of really grinding him down all game is probably why and was just being physical from the start...
    Wiggins has actually been far better defensively this season than a lot of people give him credit for.

It's a very weird shift that, rather than ever really figuring out his offense, Wiggins just decided to abandon it and become a solid defender instead.

Wiggins in D-LEBRON over his career:

2014-15: -2.17
    15-16: -1.46
    16-17: -2.07
    17-18: -0.69
    18-19: -1.01
    19-20: -0.98
    20-21: +0.94

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post

People just don't understand how bad our shooting is. When BI has the ball there is no one the other team pays attention to on the outside. We lose the most important guys on the roster after Zion and BI when Josh and NAW. There is no recovering losing those 2 from and already thin roster.

You have my attention, what Dame trade speculation?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans_fan_504 View Post
    People just don't understand how bad our shooting is. When BI has the ball there is no one the other team pays attention to on the outside. We lose the most important guys on the roster after Zion and BI when Josh and NAW. There is no recovering losing those 2 from and already thin roster.
    The most annoying thing is that even with a few decent shooters in terms of percentage, we have nobody that teams pay attention to.

Ingram shoots a touch under 38% from 3 after tonight, Lonzo about 37.5%, both on good volume, and absolutely nobody cares when Zion is driving.

It's a double edged sword. You want your on-ball threat to be as dominant as humanly possible, but the better they are the better your shooters need to be for anyone to even consider helping off them. Zion's so ridiculous that just being 37 or 38% isn't enough to make any defender care. We need real shooting, like Joe Harris/Joe Ingles/Buddy Hield/Duncan Robinson type shooters who can just run around like madmen and shoot 43% on 8 weird off-balance movement shots a game.

Guys who shoot at least 40% from 3 on at least 8 attempts per 100 who aren't super all-stars and have played at least 1000 minutes (so no guys who took 2 threes in their one minute of play back in January and average stupid numbers as a result that aren't reliable)

- Joe Harris (48% on 10.1 per 100)
    - Joe Ingles (47.3% on 10.3 per 100)
    - Marcus Morris (46.7% on 10.1 per 100)
    - Luke Kennard (46.0% on 8.8 per 100)
    - Desmond Bane (44.4% on 8.2 per 100)
    - Bryn Forbes (44.3% on 11.9 per 100)
    - Michael Porter Jr (44.3% on 9.5 per 100)
    - Reggie Jackson (43.8% on 8.6 per 100)
    - Seth Curry (43.7% on 8.1 per 100)
    - Stephen Curry (42.6% on 16.8 per 100)
    - Sterling Brown (42.3% on 8.3 per 100)

That's the top 11. Then after that you get your Paul George, Payton Pritchard, Bogdan Bogdanovic, Lavine, Vucevic, Haliburton, Trey Burkes, Norman Powell, Duncan Robinson, Danilo Gallinari tiers.

And of course, some of those are a bigger threat than others in terms of manipulating defense. Someone like Steph Curry is a way bigger threat because he moves off ball, he can shoot pulling up off the dribble, or off screens, or off balance, etc, than someone like Bryn Forbes who shoots a higher percentage but is far less of a threat overall.

Someone of this sort of calibre needs to be on the team next year. Like, a legitimately top shelf shooter.

Honestly as much as I generally think Griff hasn't been quite as bad as some people do, the way he handled our later picks in the last draft does tick me off.

We could have had Bane! He was right there! We could have had him twice, I think, with late picks before he was taken. Instead we just kind of threw all our late picks away. Terrible value.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    ...don't do that. Don't you put that thought in my head. Now I can't get it out!

Honestly as much as I generally think Griff hasn't been quite as bad as some people do, the way he handled our later picks in the last draft does tick me off.

We could have had Bane! He was right there! We could have had him twice, I think, with late picks before he was taken. Instead we just kind of threw all our late picks away. Terrible value.
    We traded them to get the picks OKC wanted for Adams. You finally coming around on how awful of a trade that is yet?
    @mcnamara247

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Our guard play is just so atrocious. Kira has a long way to go. And we have no one who can do...anything competent on offense or defense Even Lonzo does off ball things better than on ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Our guard play is just so atrocious. Kira has a long way to go. And we have no one who can do...anything competent on offense or defense Even Lonzo does off ball things better than on ball.
    #FadeforCade

Or end up picking like, 14th and take Jared Butler.

Looks like it's going to be a war of attrition between the Pels and Spurs. They'll remain 2.5 games back after tonight if the Spurs continue to get pasted by Utah.

Which is unfortunate. I'd rather this team shut down Zion and BI and get 'em next year.

I'm really only interested in watching Jax, Naji, Kira, NAW if he gets back, and Didi if they play him at this point.

#FadeforCade

Or end up picking like, 14th and take Jared Butler.
    At this point, I'd just overpay for Lowry and Powell. Maybe we'll get lucky with a top 4 pick... But do something stupid like trade the pick instead of keeping Mobley, Green, or Suggs. Granted, Our guards are so bad that I'm high key thinking we'd have to draft a guard.

Wished we drafted a motion shooter with length last year instead of a 6 ft point guard with his only elite skill is speed and good team know how to neutralize it. So many long term projects on this team just makes this process a drag.

I can't handle this awful guard play anymore
    Last edited by Taker597; 05-03-2021 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans_fan_504 View Post
    They just need to find that 3rd competent guy to win their isos or hit their shots when teams are throwing 2 and 3 bodies at Zion and BI wrecklessly.

And they will always do it to Zion driving to paint. Doesnt matter if he is surrounded by 40% shooters. Teams will take that chance. They'll never single cover him. Thats a certified L.

But that player doesn't necessarily need to be a 40% 3 point shooter. Just someone who can win their isos when they will have all the space in the world to do so. Especially after Zion and BI draw so much attention.

NAW was kinda growing into that guy. But as such that is what's missing.
    Last edited by luckyman; 05-03-2021 at 10:48 PM.

The only consistent thing about him is inconsistency.
    Lonzo's inconsistency is amazing and sad.

My God PLEASE let this season end! Cannot wait for next Sunday.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

The Wizards beat the Pacers 154 - 141....in regulation.

Thats a forking all star game.

Thread Information