Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bill Simmons rips Van Gundy, Pels...

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I get what you're saying about bad situational IQ, and god knows I'm not claiming this team doesn't have problems there, but there's some stiff competition for the worst.

Listen to the Bulls commentators when that shot goes up. They sound like they've lost a friend.
    That's bad. Now multiply that by about 20 games this season and you get this seasons Pelicans.

Also, being young does not = being dumb. If you are a real "student of the game" like B.I. professes to be, then you know how to manage the clock. Know how many timeouts you have. Understand that it is mathematically impossible for the other team to beat you if you are up by 6 with 30 seconds left and you don't do anything colossally stupid like launch a 3 with 20 seconds left in the shot clock.

My face at the end of every close game:

via Gfycat

Last edited by ragincaucasian; 05-01-2021 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    Also, being young does not = being dumb. If you are a real "student of the game" like B.I. professes to be, then you know how to manage the clock. Know how many timeouts you have. Understand that it is mathematically impossible for the other team to beat you if you are up by 6 with 30 seconds left and you don't do anything colossally stupid like launch a 3 with 20 seconds left in the shot clock.
    When exactly did he do this?

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    That's bad. Now multiply that by about 20 games this season and you get this seasons Pelicans.
    You can get 20 instances of this from Denzel Valentine alone this season lmao
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Agree. I think there is some embellishment going on. Also, it is far from mathematically impossible (as we have proven somewhat in the past).

Hall of Famer
    This team lacks leadership

Always look low energy.. game usually only seems like it matters for the other team as they don't play with any urgency

Just a bunch of dudes roaming around the court happy to be collecting money

I mean, who’s to say that aliens aren’t real, and that SVG isn’t an alien with a smaller alien controlling him from a chair inside his head? I need to see the proof.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I mean, who’s to say that aliens aren’t real, and that SVG isn’t an alien with a smaller alien controlling him from a chair inside his head? I need to see the proof.
    “...the galaxy is on Orion’s Belt.”

“Uh. Coach?”

“I mean, we need to build a ********ing wall!”

Quote Originally Posted by Speakthetruth View Post
    This team lacks leadership

Always look low energy.. game usually only seems like it matters for the other team as they don't play with any urgency

Just a bunch of dudes roaming around the court happy to be collecting money

That is true. Who signed this garbage?

Cool Matrix reference

Making Bledsoe fall down while he’s trying to defend isn’t a big deal. I think almost every point guard in the league has done that at least once this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyfamilyreuni View Post
    Making Bledsoe fall down while he’s trying to defend isn’t a big deal. I think almost every point guard in the league has done that at least once this year.
    Sure! At least Bledsoe knew why he was there?

Steph has amazing handles

Hell, even Gary Harris broke Marcus Smart's ankles today

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post

And we still have another game on road with Warriors. Pray for Eric!

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I'm gonna be completely honest with you. This team has made me too apathetic to even go look it up. I am not going back to watch any Pels games this season.

No fluke
    https://www.thebirdwrites.com/2021/3...-lewis-nickeil

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post

Steph has great handles even now and they're considerably worse than they were around 2016. Crazy functional.

i gotta be honest on this one w yal: i've coached high school ball, AAU and even middle school for like 20 some odd years... and even treated it professionally as in attending conferences and listening to some great coaches.......

nevertheless I have no idea how people feel they can accurately asses the coaching job others are doing from outside of the situation. theres just too many variables which we arent privy to.

i mean when someone compliments a coach for his 'well coached' team ; it often has nothing to do with that coach since he's only been with them for a year or so- you're really complimenting all the coaches that have coached that player previously and got them to playing smart basketball.

that being said, we got some good players, but the best players on high school teams arent getting screamed at for their weak team defense, then they only stay in college for like a year; hence, it takes them several years in the NBA for them to get good at it ... thats why young teams almost never win.
    that's where we are at with Ingram and zion and jaxson and kira.

im not down on van gundy too much yet. but next year he must make the playoffs IMO

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    i gotta be honest on this one w yal: i've coached high school ball, AAU and even middle school for like 20 some odd years... and even treated it professionally as in attending conferences and listening to some great coaches.......

nevertheless I have no idea how people feel they can accurately asses the coaching job others are doing from outside of the situation. theres just too many variables which we arent privy to.

i mean when someone compliments a coach for his 'well coached' team ; it often has nothing to do with that coach since he's only been with them for a year or so- you're really complimenting all the coaches that have coached that player previously and got them to playing smart basketball.

that being said, we got some good players, but the best players on high school teams arent getting screamed at for their weak team defense, then they only stay in college for like a year; hence, it takes them several years in the NBA for them to get good at it ... thats why young teams almost never win.
    that's where we are at with Ingram and zion and jaxson and kira.

im not down on van gundy too much yet. but next year he must make the playoffs IMO
    Mostly agree, but for one exception.

It takes several years for young players to get good at defense. How many years, like what, maybe - oh I don't know - five or so?

Ingram doesn't get to use the same excuse of youthful inexperience that Kira does, for example. It just doesn't track.

Bump. Guess I’m not the only one thinking big things this season. It was a failure folks. I’m not going to sugar coat it . Tell it like it is
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 05-13-2021 at 09:55 AM.

Thread Information