Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: And so it begins (Zion comments)

The Knicks of all teams

Sure Woj

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Yeah a bit late to this convo, but he could accept his QO like Noel did, but IMO that would be a bad move. He is better to accept it and then force his way out.
    Zion is going to get money regardless. He leaves a small amount on the table, relative to what he will earn in his career, by taking the QO and becoming unrestricted and signing with a new team. Over those 4 years (the QO year and the 3 of the next deal) it is about 30-35 million lost. If he is who you guys think he is - that is a drop in the bucket of what his career earnings will be and easily made up from being on a winning team and surpassed if he is on a winning franchise in a big market.

If the Pels are a trash organization at that time, make the objective argument for why he SHOULD sign. Take yourself out of your fandom. Make the rational argument for why he should stay instead of leaving after playing out his contract.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Zion is going to get money regardless. He leaves a small amount on the table, relative to what he will earn in his career, by taking the QO and becoming unrestricted and signing with a new team. Over those 4 years (the QO year and the 3 of the next deal) it is about 30-35 million lost. If he is who you guys think he is - that is a drop in the bucket of what his career earnings will be and easily made up from being on a winning team and surpassed if he is on a winning franchise in a big market.

If the Pels are a trash organization at that time, make the objective argument for why he SHOULD sign. Take yourself out of your fandom. Make the rational argument for why he should stay instead of leaving after playing out his contract.
    Are we a trash organization right now? Serious question

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Are we a trash organization right now? Serious question
    Trash may be a tid harsh but we certainly are poorly run. The fact that we gave the future of the franchise to David Griffin to me proved we weren't concerned with being run well.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Trash may be a tid harsh but we certainly are poorly run. The fact that we gave the future of the franchise to David Griffin to me proved we weren't concerned with being run well.
    More that the person in charge is easily swayed by typical salesman tactics. I'm in sales. No one will admit to wanting to be sold something, but many respond to that. And I get better results when I feed into it than most of the time when I tell the truth and it isn't what they wanna hear.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    Playoff team by next season. Give 2 or maybe 3 more years to be a top 4 team in the west. If we fail to do that, I'd say Zion is gone.
    So tell me how Eric Bledsoe fits in our rebuilding?

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    So tell me how Eric Bledsoe fits in our rebuilding?
    He doesn't, but defining long term rebuilds by how good things look about 5 months in is always premature.

If he's still on the team by next trade deadline then I'll be concerned; until then, plenty of time to use his to match salaries in a larger trade, for example.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    He doesn't, but defining long term rebuilds by how good things look about 5 months in is always premature.

If he's still on the team by next trade deadline then I'll be concerned; until then, plenty of time to use his to match salaries in a larger trade, for example.
    Yeah who going to want that contract, plays no defense, and forgets he is playing basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Yeah who going to want that contract, plays no defense, and forgets he is playing basketball.
    ''To match salaries''

That is to say, he's not the attraction in that trade. You'd be moving other pieces, probably youth and picks, to acquire a player with Bledsoe's (effectively expiring) $18m being there just to match up the salary amounts and give the team trading for him flexibility going into that offseason.

You would think Adam Silver would want to put an in to this NY/LA foolishness. Why have a league that revolves around 4 teams?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Zion will eventually leave this franchise. Might be after 5 years, might be after 9. My bet, personally, is 8.

But that is 8 more years than they would have ever had him if not for the luck of random ping pong balls. Enjoy him the years he is here as opposed to fearing his loss and how the years without him will be. Margot Robbie decides to hook up with you for a random 3 day weekend - you dont spend those days worrying about whether she will be in your life a month from now or if she is come to her senses and find someone much better. You spend all those minutes with Margot Robbie and thank the lord she lost her mind for a weekend and got stuck with you
    that's awesome

Do you spend your unbelievable weekend with Margot whining about all the other guys in the bar trying to hit on her, fearful of what she might or might not decide to do on Monday? Or do you accept that she might not be your bff, but right now you're good, you're more than good, and just chill for a bit ?

Then ask yourself, which version of you does she want to hang out with ?
    Last edited by KoMikaera; 04-21-2021 at 05:27 PM.
    Just another Kiwi basking in the reflected glory of Steven Adams....bask bask...

Didn’t the media say Zion was strongly considering sitting out the NBA draft and passing up big money just to avoid playing for us (so he could end up on another horrible team)? At some point you have to accept that the agenda against small market teams is very real. Every nothing comment will be taken out of context and used against us to further a narrative. While it’s up to us to not pull another Demps/Gentry spectacular here, it is the second freakin year of our rebuild. Zion enters RESTRICTED free agency in two (count em) two years. I think we are okay. As long as we progress by the year and don’t stagnate we will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Griffin is where my concern mostly lies as well. I’m not worried about Zion taking a QO or anything stupid. I am worried that we may make some stupid long term decisions per usual that will affect us down the line.

Thread Information