Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: April 16th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Washington Wizards - 25-30

Something else to think about.

Daniel Gafford (10.4/5.2/0.6) was the 38th pick in the same NBA draft that JAXSON (6.4/3.9/0.6) was the 8th pick.

Quick, someone tell me what pick was Naz Reid (10.9/4.5/1.1) that year?

Note: And I truly think that JAXSON is the third best player on this team behind BI and Zion.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post

Daniel Gafford (10.4/5.2/0.6) was the 38th pick in the same NBA draft that JAXSON (6.4/3.9/0.6) was the 8th pick.

Note: And I truly think that JAXSON is the third best player on this team behind BI and Zion.

Thank you for sharing that.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Thank you for sharing that.
    You're Welcome

Oh I forgot to answer

What is the 11th pick by the Minnesota Timberwolves?

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Oh I forgot to answer

What is the 11th pick by the Minnesota Timberwolves?
    Of course not.

If you are legitimately asking...Cameron Johnson.

Of course not.

If you are legitimately asking...Cameron Johnson.
    Just going by what google says. Drafted 11th in 2019 by the Timberwolves

dae,

I'm sure you'd know the answer to this. Do we have to tender a contract offer to Lonzo in order to retain the right to match any offer he gets? If so, what is the minimum tender we would have to offer?
    No, we have already made him a RFA

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    No, we have already made him a RFA
    So we don't have to make him a qualifying offer(QO) in order to have the right match any outside offer?

So we don't have to make him a qualifying offer(QO) in order to have the right match any outside offer?
    Never mind, a friend just messaged me. The qualifying offer is $28.720MM for two years ($14.360 per year).
    Last edited by As I See It; 04-17-2021 at 01:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    I literally posted a Rant thread today and this was said.
    We are 3 games from the 8th spot. It's not exactly hard to see us getting one to two plays better and winning this game. Along with many others this year.

What I said still firmly stands even after a tough close overtime loss with two of our best players having horrible games. It's a long season lets not go back and forth every game day thread. Look at the overall record, age of this team and don't overreact to one game. The playoffs are a clear expectation next year. Beyond just the playoffs is another story and needs more work.
    Last edited by Stalwart385; 04-17-2021 at 02:51 AM.

Never mind, a friend just messaged me. The qualifying offer is $28.720MM for two years ($14.360 per year).
    Dont rely on that friend in the future. They dont know what they are talking about. Literally anybody who knows anything about basketball knows that QO's are only one year
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Dont rely on that friend in the future. They dont know what they are talking about. Literally anybody who knows anything about basketball knows that QO's are only one year
    Mac, I'm only going by what he sent me. If I am wrong, so is this.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/new-orle...zo-ball-23597/

Mac, I'm only going by what he sent me. If I am wrong, so is this.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/new-orle...zo-ball-23597/
    No, that is right. I dont think you or he know what you are reading.

The QO is 14.3 million but his cap hold is over 28. Nowhere in there does it say anything about two years. Every QO is one year. Always has been. One of the most common, well known things about contracts.

No, that is right. I dont think you or he know what you are reading.

The QO is 14.3 million but his cap hold is over 28. Nowhere in there does it say anything about two years. Every QO is one year. Always has been. One of the most common, well known things about contracts.
    Then enlighten me, please, Mac; I'd be grateful. Would his annual salary be 14.3 a year or 28.7? And if it his annual salary is 14.3 why would the hit be double what he's being paid?

If you would prefer to message me on the side, that would be fine.
    Last edited by As I See It; 04-17-2021 at 07:02 AM.

IF he signed the QO, it would be 14.3

A cap hold has nothing to do with salary. It is basically the premium for having him on the books so that you can re-sign him using bird rights.

Sounds like you have a lot to learn about how the cap and CBA work, which is fine, we all started there once. But for Lonzo's specific case, we have a few options:

1. Dont offer him the QO, allow him to become UFA
    2. Offer him the QO, allowing us to match any offer (or decline it)
    3. Offer him the QO, which he signs and makes 14.3 next year and become an UFA the next year
    4. Offer the QO, he shops the market for another team and that team and the Pels work out a S&T
    5. Just sign him to a new deal off the bat and forgo all the restricted FA stuff

None are great IMO. I would probably prefer #3 or 4, but sign and trades are rare and in all likelihood you get something minor and/or a TPE.

IF he signed the QO, it would be 14.3

A cap hold has nothing to do with salary. It is basically the premium for having him on the books so that you can re-sign him using bird rights.

Sounds like you have a lot to learn about how the cap and CBA work, which is fine, we all started there once. But for Lonzo's specific case, we have a few options:

1. Dont offer him the QO, allow him to become UFA
    2. Offer him the QO, allowing us to match any offer (or decline it)
    3. Offer him the QO, which he signs and makes 14.3 next year and become an UFA the next year
    4. Offer the QO, he shops the market for another team and that team and the Pels work out a S&T
    5. Just sign him to a new deal off the bat and forgo all the restricted FA stuff

None are great IMO. I would probably prefer #3 or 4, but sign and trades are rare and in all likelihood you get something minor and/or a TPE.
    Thanks, this is enlightening. I think I have a basic understanding of all five options you illustrate. My confusion is the Cap Hit. Assuming option three (illustrated above), All Ball would get is the 14.3 and then walk, but the difference between his salary and the Cap Hit would be the additional premium we assume in cap space forfeiture for re-signing him to a one year QO?

Further, if he comes back with an offer from another team and we decide to match. The 14.3 and 28 become moot, as we will assume the provisions of the matching team's offer?

I hope I don't sound too green behind the ear, because I'm probably one of the older posters on the board.

Again, Thanks
    Last edited by As I See It; 04-17-2021 at 07:46 AM.

Its cap HOLD, not a cap hit.

A lot of great sites and videos know can help explain all these little nuances. Worth checking them out and becoming an expert on CBA - it is a MAJOR part of being a fan IMO

Its cap HOLD, not a cap hit.

A lot of great sites and videos know can help explain all these little nuances. Worth checking them out and becoming an expert on CBA - it is a MAJOR part of being a fan IMO
    Thanks, Pal...have a great day!!!!

(I used the term "Cap Hit" because that was the Column Heading under which Balls 28M+ figure is shown on the Web Site my Buddy sent me and which I posted above).

Quote Originally Posted by Speakthetruth View Post
    Trade the pick

Bring in somebody who will help the young talent grow
    Who? Who can we trade a pick 11-14 for that will gurantee us a playoff spot next year? That's what I keep asking Pels fans. Trying to prepare you guys when our biggest aquistion this off season will be Larry Nance, Kevin Love, or something like that. Pels fans will rant thanking our pick will yield more when in reality the pick will likely be sent with Bledsoe attached which is a C level asset.

Not sure most folks are truly being honest with themselves, I mostly keep seeing is " we have a bright future and alot of good assets" it's not as good as people are thinking.

All I'm saying is provide realistic trades, not no "trade the 13 pick and future first for a top 5 pick". That's NOT happening with this draft class top 5 golden boys.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

MM, is there true smoke with GSW wanting Adams? If so, can scenario like this occur?

GSW will be ready to compete for the playoffs and bring in more vets, IF they get a top 5 pick (let's say pick 5, can't see this happening if they get pick 4), would a scenario of sign and Trade for Zo, Adams, pick 11-13 from us, and future pick and we take back some salary from them?

We then grab Kuminga in the draft which we will then use in the off-season with future picks maybe a young piece or whatever for a J Grant type player.

Is that realistic IF GSW grabs a top 5 pick?

I'm trying man, hell expecting GSW to be in perfect draft position isn't even realstic lol Pels situation blows man.
    Last edited by Silverfoxx; 04-17-2021 at 09:46 AM.

If GS puts the 5th pick, they are getting offers that help them win now more than those scrubs you named. Not to mention that the draft happens before FA. So no chance

I think something like 11 and Bledsoe for Nance and a double sign and trade of Lonzo for Duncan R is the best, most realistic summer. Hope to find a gem in the 2nd with 4 picks and/or use them to trade up to get a gem. Go sign someone with an exception and hope for more internal growth from NAW, Zion, BI, Hayes, Marshall, and Kira

I think something like 11 and Bledsoe for Nance and a double sign and trade of Lonzo for Duncan R is the best, most realistic summer. Hope to find a gem in the 2nd with 4 picks and/or use them to trade up to get a gem. Go sign someone with an exception and hope for more internal growth from NAW, Zion, BI, Hayes, Marshall, and Kira
    In this scenario I would use the 4 second rounders to try to move up and grab Oregon Chris Duarte or Roko Prkačin.

What type of trade exception targets we can possibly grab?

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    In this scenario I would use the 4 second rounders to try to move up and grab Oregon Chris Duarte or Roko Prkačin.

What type of trade exception targets we can possibly grab?
    If you could sneak into the end of the first round and snag Prkacin that would be a coup. I have him top 20 in my own rankings.
    Basketball.

Not trade exceptions. I was talking MLE, BAE, room exception, etc

Regardless, you can drive yourself wild with.possibilities. the core of the question is if you make smaller moves and rely on internal growth combined with better fits to move up or do you put in a ton of assets to try to get more top heavy talent wise.

I would choose the former and wait on the latter for a few years

Thread Information