Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My Biggest Concern is happening now, Mediocrity

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    PLEASE BE PATIENT AND ENJOY THE DEVELOPMENT! ALSO ENJOY THE ERIC BLEDSOE ERA!

WON'T BOW DOWN

I ' M IN!
    Lmao
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    They aren't gonna lose games on purpose, dude. You need to accept that. And even if we did luck out, get high in the draft...we'd probably flip the pick for a veteran.
    It will be more so shutting down Key cornerstone players like Zion (thumb, fatigue) and Ingram(toe issue) to avoid weird injuries which is a real thing and to tank stealth tank I mean develop. Alot of smart teams are doing this right now, not doing blind optimism crap like Griffin.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I’d shut it all down too. But whatever.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    It will be more so shutting down Key cornerstone players like Zion (thumb, fatigue) and Ingram(toe issue) to avoid weird injuries which is a real thing and to tank stealth tank I mean develop. Alot of smart teams are doing this right now, not doing blind optimism crap like Griffin.
    Zion was mad last season when we had him on minutes restrictions....and you want Griff to shut down zion and ingram if those 2 all stars can actually play....so I guess you are fine with those 2 getting frustrated and leaving this org?...

Give some of us smart reasons on how you tell your 2 all stars to shut it down so we can get a good draft pick while they are healthy to play...

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    Zion was mad last season when we had him on minutes restrictions....and you want Griff to shut down zion and ingram if those 2 all stars can actually play....so I guess you are fine with those 2 getting frustrated and leaving this org?...

Give some of us smart reasons on how you tell your 2 all stars to shut it down so we can get a good draft pick while they are healthy to play...
    The last thing we need is a serious injury to Zion. Donovan Mitchell is the latest star to go down. Thankfully not serious. Jamal Murray tore an ACL.

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post

Frankly, I don't care what Zion, BI, or anybody thinks if I'm running the team. Even if it is only for six or seven years, I hold Zion's fate in my hands and determine when he plays and how much he plays. That's the whole problem with the NBA; "the inmates run the asylum".

We mortgaged our future to try to 'fast-track', and build a team around AD (Demps consulted with him on every move from Asik, to Boogie, to Rondo, to Mirotic) and what did he end up doing in the end? He got rich at the Bensons' expense and spit in our faces (Th-Th-That's All Folks!!!!). Yep, Demps essentially let the 20-whatever year old call the shots and then AD laughed at us all the way to LA-LA-Land...leaving us in shambles (Zion was purely luck; a bounce of a Ping Pong Ball!!!) And, lest we forget, AD isn't the only one who put the screws to NOLA, either.

Enough!!! Team Management (especially in smaller markets) need to grow a pair and reclaim their teams instead of being held hostage by the hired help. Remember, what we are today is the result of trying to placate a spoiled man-child, blessed with an amazing on-the-court skillset, who used it against us....not for us.

...and

What did Lebron do to Cleveland twice and to Miami (when he was finished using them), what did Kyrie do to Cleveland, what did Kawahi do to San Antonio, what did Harden just do to Houston, etc...etc...etc?

"Th-Th-That's All Folks!!!"

Postscript: Do we all remember AD saying he didn't want to play center when it was clear that he was the best option we had the time? Do you remember the alternative.... Ryan Anderson. Alexis Ajinca, and Kendrick Perkins? I remember!!! Unsaid was: "I don't care if you are paying me 25MM a year, and even if it's for the good of the team, I don't want to play center".
    Last edited by As I See It; 04-17-2021 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Frankly, I don't care what Zion, BI, or anybody thinks if I'm running the team. Even if it is only for six or seven years, I hold Zion's fate in my hands and determine when he plays and how much he plays. That's the whole problem with the NBA; "the inmates run the asylum".

We mortgaged our future to try to 'fast-track', and build a team around AD (Demps consulted with him on every move from Asik, to Boogie, to Rondo, to Mirotic) and what did he end up doing in the end? He got rich at the Bensons' expense and spit in our faces (Th-Th-That's All Folks!!!!). Yep, Demps essentially let the 20-whatever year old call the shots and then AD laughed at us all the way to LA-LA-Land...leaving us in shambles (Zion was purely luck; a bounce of a Ping Pong Ball!!!) And, lest we forget, AD isn't the only one who put the screws to NOLA, either.

Enough!!! Team Management (especially in smaller markets) need to grow a pair and reclaim their teams instead of being held hostage by the hired help. Remember, what we are today is the result of trying to placate a spoiled man-child, blessed with an amazing on-the-court skillset, who used it against us....not for us.

...and

What did Lebron do to Cleveland twice and to Miami (when he was finished using them), what did Kyrie do to Cleveland, what did Kawahi do to San Antonio, what did Harden just do to Houston, etc...etc...etc?

"Th-Th-That's All Folks!!!"

Postscript: Do we all remember AD saying he didn't want to play center when it was clear that he was the best option we had the time? I remember!!! Unsaid was: "I don't care if you are paying me 25MM a year, and even if it's for the good of the team, I don't want to play center".
    This is amazing

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I?d shut it all down too. But whatever.
    Yeah... I get what you're saying. It's fantasy vs. Reality. It doesn't advocate you to winning to spite ourselves. It's just the way things have been and forever going to be...

We all would like the Pelicans to think smart with relations to this team long term. Great draft, bad FA, and terrible roster. Even a play-in run is really a bad move long term to develop a better roster.

They see things differently and have been no matter who is in charge. It sucks. Some people just want to illogically vent, because it's therapeutic.
    Last edited by Taker597; 04-17-2021 at 09:33 PM.

What I find annoying is the scapegoating of STEVEN.

This team has proven good enough to beat the best teams in the league. Yes, with Steven in the starting lineup.

It's not Steven's fault that his teammates effort disintegrates against lesser teams leading to ridiculous losses and ******** poor defence. This team is not nearly as bad as the pessimists on this board think, they just need to learn to play hard consistently against all opposition and they would easily be in the playoffs with current personnell. Its not that hard really it just depends how much they want to win.
    Just another Kiwi basking in the reflected glory of Steven Adams....bask bask...

Mediocrity ??? Zion who basically is still a rookie breaks nba records already. BI most improved player and an all star last year who is 23. Some young promising players and a lot of draft picks. This team without any offseason and with SVG in his first year has beaten a lot of strong nba teams which shows the potential. They also lost to many awful teams but so what? I don’t understand the pessimism here. Some complain that we lose some complain that we win cause it’s better to lose for the draft. I mean why all the fans cannot just enjoy the huge potential of this team. Zion is absolutely amazing. Hayes shows some athleticism that I haven’t seen before and he is so smooth with the ball for his size. BI is already a great player and should improve his weaknesses. The loses are frustrating but imagine our record if we had won the games we should have won. Don’t you all believe that we will win these games next year? IMO people are lacking patience and common sense

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by PolishFan View Post
    Mediocrity ??? Zion who basically is still a rookie breaks nba records already. BI most improved player and an all star last year who is 23. Some young promising players and a lot of draft picks. This team without any offseason and with SVG in his first year has beaten a lot of strong nba teams which shows the potential. They also lost to many awful teams but so what? I don’t understand the pessimism here. Some complain that we lose some complain that we win cause it’s better to lose for the draft. I mean why all the fans cannot just enjoy the huge potential of this team. Zion is absolutely amazing. Hayes shows some athleticism that I haven’t seen before and he is so smooth with the ball for his size. BI is already a great player and should improve his weaknesses. The loses are frustrating but imagine our record if we had won the games we should have won. Don’t you all believe that we will win these games next year? IMO people are lacking patience and common sense

this.....

If JJ Reddick didn’t completely implode to start the season, we would have a much better record. That absolutely killed us off. It’s crazy how much one guy with a specific skill set can completely change the way teams would defend us come crunch time. We need to find another guy like that (preferably good at defense too) that can take the pressure off of our main guys. We aren’t so much ‘bad off’ so much as missing the right pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    If JJ Reddick didn’t completely implode to start the season, we would have a much better record. That absolutely killed us off. It’s crazy how much one guy with a specific skill set can completely change the way teams would defend us come crunch time. We need to find another guy like that (preferably good at defense too) that can take the pressure off of our main guys. We aren’t so much ‘bad off’ so much as missing the right pieces.
    Duncan Robinson

The Franchise
    Yes we beat good teams and lose to bad teams. I think A direction needs to be established. If it’s to get to the play in, then we are failing miserably. If it’s to develop what we have, again failing miserably. Pick a direction and go, I think that is all we want or at least I do.

Marshall, now that’s he’s been given more opportunities looks like a good role wing player. To me he makes Hart expendable if he wants too much money but a bench of Hart and Marshal seems a good place to start

Let Hayes, Kira, and NAW ( when he gets back from injury) get as many minutes they can handle. Decide if they are keepers with our BI and Zion core. If your mediocre playing and teach our young guys, I can live with that but not playing Bledsoe 30 plus minutes and Adams a lot of minutes and still just an average team.

Quote Originally Posted by KoMikaera View Post
    What I find annoying is the scapegoating of STEVEN.

This team has proven good enough to beat the best teams in the league. Yes, with Steven in the starting lineup.

It's not Steven's fault that his teammates effort disintegrates against lesser teams leading to ridiculous losses and ******** poor defence. This team is not nearly as bad as the pessimists on this board think, they just need to learn to play hard consistently against all opposition and they would easily be in the playoffs with current personnell. Its not that hard really it just depends how much they want to win.
    Scapegoating? His rebounding and screening has been great. His defense has been up and down at best and he has not provided the rim protection we expected. His FT shooting makes him almost unplayable at times in close games. He is a good player, but just not worth the cost in assets and salary it took to get him.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Scapegoating? His rebounding and screening has been great. His defense has been up and down at best and he has not provided the rim protection we expected. His FT shooting makes him almost unplayable at times in close games. He is a good player, but just not worth the cost in assets and salary it took to get him.
    Yes, scapegoating. Scapegoating is an old tradition where the village would settle a serious squabble by symbolically placing all of the blame on a goat, called a scapegoat, then exile that goat out into the wilderness. It's a way of resolving a dispute by blaming someone or something else.

I understand your opinion that too much was traded for Steven for the role you believe he was supposed to fill, or the opinion of some that he is not a good "fit". I don't necessarily agree but I don't mind fair criticism and can understand the reasoning. I agree his free throws have been bad, worst season yet.

What I took issue with was when people seem to scapegoat Steven or one or two other players for the teams poor record which is in my opinion primarily a factor of inconsistent effort by the team including its stars all year, especially on the defensive end, seen for example in playing down to losing teams, blowing numerous double figure leads and allowing all sorts of scoring records to be set against them. My opinion is that the only two players who have played with consistent effort on both ends of the floor this season are Steven Adams and Josh Hart.I wasn't just referring to this thread.

But maybe i'm just overreacting because I'm a steven fan. Most comments are fairly balanced about steven, so there's that.
    Last edited by KoMikaera; 04-19-2021 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    I agree. A sharpshooter to two will make alot of our problems disappear and change everything.

Quote Originally Posted by KoMikaera View Post
    Yes, scapegoating. Scapegoating is an old tradition where the village would settle a serious squabble by symbolically placing all of the blame on a goat, called a scapegoat, then exile that goat out into the wilderness. It's a way of resolving a dispute by blaming someone or something else.

I understand your opinion that too much was traded for Steven for the role you believe he was supposed to fill, or the opinion of some that he is not a good "fit". I don't necessarily agree but I don't mind fair criticism and can understand the reasoning. I agree his free throws have been bad, worst season yet.

What I took issue with was when people seem to scapegoat Steven or one or two other players for the teams poor record which is in my opinion primarily a factor of inconsistent effort by the team including its stars all year, especially on the defensive end, seen for example in playing down to losing teams, blowing numerous double figure leads and allowing all sorts of scoring records to be set against them. My opinion is that the only two players who have played with consistent effort on both ends of the floor this season are Steven Adams and Josh Hart.I wasn't just referring to this thread.

But maybe i'm just overreacting because I'm a steven fan. Most comments are fairly balanced about steven, so there's that.
    On this board, there is usually a scapegoat. Wins are team wins. Losses are usually due to one player.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    On this board, there is usually a scapegoat. Wins are team wins. Losses are usually due to one player.
    Mhmm.

Steven's getting his right now because he's had a few recent bad performances with regards to stuff like hands, and he's not a stretch big and some people have this idea that until we get a 5 who shoots 35% from 3 on 2 a game (cause that will definitely make defenses leave Zion alone, lmao) we're doomed. When in fact, anyone who has paid attention to the game knows that worrying about what our C provides on offense is far from the current problem and actually, Adams provides a lot on that end.

But on any given night, its Steven, it's SVG, it's Bledsoe.

Don't get me wrong, doesn't mean those individuals are never actually to blame: Bledsoe definitely screwed the end of last game, as did Lonzo, but it's the natural instinct of people on here. We lose? Find The Villain.
    Basketball.

My Biggest Concern is happening now, Mediocrity

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Mhmm.

Steven's getting his right now because he's had a few recent bad performances with regards to stuff like hands, and he's not a stretch big and some people have this idea that until we get a 5 who shoots 35% from 3 on 2 a game (cause that will definitely make defenses leave Zion alone, lmao) we're doomed. When in fact, anyone who has paid attention to the game knows that worrying about what our C provides on offense is far from the current problem and actually, Adams provides a lot on that end.

But on any given night, its Steven, it's SVG, it's Bledsoe.

Don't get me wrong, doesn't mean those individuals are never actually to blame: Bledsoe definitely screwed the end of last game, as did Lonzo, but it's the natural instinct of people on here. We lose? Find The Villain.
    Preach about Adams. So sick of hearing the stretch five nonsense. Would it be an advantage to have a solid one in the rotation? Of course. It?s more of a luxury than a need. Plus who is to say we cannot develop Jax into that guy? We do have a pretty solid shooting coach that helped fix Lonzo?s three.

They don?t fall on trees but I would love of we drafted a stretch five this year. Don?t want to give away assets for one because i think Adams is just fine. Really love the versatility we have at the position with Jax matching up more against the more athletic hybrid bigs. It?s not like we are getting blown out by the opposing bigs. It?s a guard/forward issue. Also, i?d be willing to bet a poboy, zapps, and a barqs that Adams has been a little injured. He has gone from roughly 20-22 minutes a game to 27-30 in the last month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    Preach about Adams. So sick of hearing the stretch five nonsense. Would it be an advantage to have a solid one in the rotation? Of course. It?s more of a luxury than a need. Plus who is to say we cannot develop Jax into that guy? We do have a pretty solid shooting coach that helped fix Lonzo?s three.

They don?t fall on trees but I would love of we drafted a stretch five this year. Don?t want to give away assets for one because i think Adams is just fine. Really love the versatility we have at the position with Jax matching up more against the more athletic hybrid bigs. It?s not like we are getting blown out by the opposing bigs. It?s a guard/forward issue. Also, i?d be willing to bet a poboy, zapps, and a barqs that Adams has been a little injured. He has gone from roughly 20-22 minutes a game to 27-30 in the last month.
    The thing about stretch 5s is that there's about 2 of them in the NBA that are good enough shooters on high enough volume that they would have any impact whatsoever on how Zion is covered, and neither of them are attainable right now. The desire for a stretch 5 is, as you say, the desire for a luxury that while it may be nice as an option is far from a need and certainly isn't any sort of priority.

And again, agree on Jax. Might he ever be a stretch? Maybe not, but he's shown a few flashes so why not find out?

I have a feeling we will get a top 3 pick and trade it for KAT. It will be a typical controversial Pels thing to do which will divide the fanbase and not go for our main need which is defense.

I have a feeling we will get a top 3 pick and trade it for KAT. It will be a typical controversial Pels thing to do which will divide the fanbase and not go for our main need which is defense.
    Just what we need . Another Kentucky player.

As much as I want Mobley... WE got to getting some starting NBA caliber guards unless we are gonna be forever weird with Zion and Ingram at 1 & 2...

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    As much as I want Mobley... WE got to getting some starting NBA caliber guards unless we are gonna be forever weird with Zion and Ingram at 1 & 2...
    I agree, but I just have this daunting feeling that KAT is our main target this off-season. That will be extremely frustrating and typical polarizing move that some fans would love and smart fans would hate.

Thread Information