Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My Biggest Concern is happening now, Mediocrity

Rant My Biggest Concern is happening now, Mediocrity

The news of Lavine being out likely two weeks pretty much confirms the Inconsistent Pelicans to finish in the lottery around 11-14. I just can't see a scenario of us finishing at 9 or even cracking the top 8 with teams like the Kings (lost 9 in a row) Thunder, and now the Bulls (converts to Magic) being a lock. This position puts the Pels in a tough place.

Weeks ago, I was debating with fans and Lonzo stans and was called a Pelicans pessimist, hater, troll, etc. because I anticipated the forgone conclusion that trading Lonzo for a decent asset would help us position ourselves in the off-season to avoid limited options resources, and to get of negative assets. Another concern was to avoid committing to a core of Zo, BI, and Zion who ceiling I'm not a big believer in or losing Zo for nothing. Word to MM, a Sign and Trade with Zo will be very difficult and would likely need at least three teams.

With the Pelicans inconsistent play which affects our draft order, to the Zo situation, I just can't find a situation where I can feel confident in the Pelicans being a sure fire playoff team next year.

Our draft pick won't yield a game changer, especially since it's not even a top 8 pick, our assets are not appealing and we also have to get off negative assets (Bledsoe, Adams) by combining sweetiners to do so. And lastly the odds of us drafting a kid in the draft is also likely not to happen.

Is our 11 pick + Bledsoe for Larry Nance our best case scenario? This will open up cap space and bring in a player of need? How will the Lonzo ball situation realistically go down that won't harm us? I just HATE the position we are in. I can't see a scenario for us to aquire a J Grant, Siakim, or even Beal without giving up BI. Before you guys call me crazy, please provide realistic off season plans to guarantee us for a playoff spot next year which is a must to keep Zion and for the Front Office.

Is the team next year a playoff team? This is the most realistic path I see us doing.

Zo/Lewis
    NAW/Didi
    BI/Ross
    Zion/Nance
    Adams/Hayes
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

I think another year and a full offseason should be enough to make the current team a playoff team. I don't think they are very far from that. They are young and I expect each year of experience will make them better. Especially considering how much they were thrust into a season this year with little time to develop between games during the season. I hope they have goals to more than just eek into the playoffs though.

Zo is the big question mark. As far as the trade, I'm not really worried about that. We don't know how much was offered. How much do you really expect to get for a half-year rental on a player with very mixed opinions on his future. If you are a team that really believes in him just go get him at the end of the year. You only give resources up for a player on a contract like that if you think it's a piece you need to push you into a chip.

As far as his future here, ideally, I would like him to just be on Bledsoe's contract. I don't know how that happens, or if it's possible, but that would be the ideal end game imo. If you get anything from moving Bledsoe that would be lagniappe. If we don't sign Zo, oh well, use that money on another player.

My hope is they focus on two things. Find a forward to give some kind of presence when BI and Zion are off the floor (really like what JJ has brought) and find shooters. Every player they bring in needs to provide some defense until our stars show more progress there.

This team was never going to tank this year. As up and down as we are, having BI and Zion is too much talent alone to tank. You can't ask those two to tank, you need them to develop. The team's goals were to make the playoffs. They have fallen short of expectation but they are still good enough that they aren't going to completely suck. Hoping we would tank for a good pick is wishing against what the team is and what it's trying to do, it's just not a fruitful mindset. Just enjoy the talent we do have and hope to see some development to finish the season and maybe get lucky with some extra games at the end of the season. It'll be an interesting offseason, they still have plenty of options to play with even if they won't have a top 5 pick.
    Last edited by Stalwart385; 04-16-2021 at 11:13 AM.

In what universe do we ''have'' to get off Bledsoe and Adams by attaching assets to them?

Adams, I could *kind* of get, due to his deal having the extension on it - even though there have been a lot of rumours that there's fairly significant interest in him elsewhere if we were to trade - but Bledsoe is basically an expiring next year. Teams trade *for* $18m expirings.
    Basketball.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalwart385 View Post
    I think another year and a full offseason should be enough to make the current team a playoff team. I don't think they are very far from that. They are young and I expect each year of experience will make them better. Especially considering how much they were thrust into a season this year with little time to develop between games during the season. I hope they have goals to more than just eek into the playoffs though.

Zo is the big question mark. As far as the trade, I'm not really worried about that. We don't know how much was offered. How much do you really expect to get for a half-year rental on a player with very mixed opinions on his future. If you are a team that really believes in him just go get him at the end of the year. You only give resources up for a player on an expiring contract if you think it's a piece you need to push you into a chip.

As far as his future here, ideally, I would like him to just be on Bledsoe's contract. I don't know how that happens, or if it's possible, but that would be the ideal end game imo. If you get anything from moving Bledsoe that would be lagniappe. If we don't sign Zo, oh well, use that money on another player.

My hope is they focus on two things. Find a forward to give some kind of presence when BI and Zion are off the floor (really like what JJ has brought) and find shooters. Every player they bring in needs to provide some defense until our stars show more progress there.

This team was never going to tank this year. As up and down as we are, having BI and Zion is to much talent alone to tank. You can't ask those guys to tank, you need them to develop. The team's goals were to make the playoffs this year. They have fallen short of expectation but they are still good enough that they aren't going to completely suck. Hoping we would tank for a good pick is wishing against what the team is trying to do, it's just not a fruitful mindset. Just enjoy the talent we do have and hope to see some development to finish the season and maybe get lucky with some extra games at the end of the season. It'll be an interesting offseason, they still have plenty of options to play with even if they won't have a top 5 pick.
    right on...

i just dont understand how some posters legit think that our 2 all stars are going to tank for a damn rookie.......bi put the org. on notice and said he dont play on missing the playoffs again after the bubble so that should have told posters that this team was gunning for the playoffs this season....

i see the same team coming back next season to start the season off....only hart and lonzo is up in the air....i would let hart walk and sign marshal to take on hart role for cheap and use the money for hart on a decent 3 and D SF if any are on the market.....hope we can hit on the draft pick.....

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    In what universe do we ''have'' to get off Bledsoe and Adams by attaching assets to them?

Adams, I could *kind* of get, due to his deal having the extension on it - even though there have been a lot of rumours that there's fairly significant interest in him elsewhere if we were to trade - but Bledsoe is basically an expiring next year. Teams trade *for* $18m expirings.
    yeah i think people are forgetting about the expiring thing...he should be gone before the trade deadline..

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

What fairly significant interest? All I have seen is one article speculating that Warriors could have some interest in him.

Quote Originally Posted by Stalwart385 View Post

Zo is the big question mark. As far as the trade, I'm not really worried about that. We don't know how much was offered. How much do you really expect to get for a half-year rental on a player with very mixed opinions on his future. If you are a team that really believes in him just go get him at the end of the year. You only give resources up for a player on a contract like that if you think it's a piece you need to push you into a chip.

This team was never going to tank this year. As up and down as we are, having BI and Zion is too much talent alone to tank. You can't ask those two to tank, you need them to develop. The team's goals were to make the playoffs. They have fallen short of expectation but they are still good enough that they aren't going to completely suck. Hoping we would tank for a good pick is wishing against what the team is and what it's trying to do, it's just not a fruitful mindset. Just enjoy the talent we do have and hope to see some development to finish the season and maybe get lucky with some extra games at the end of the season. It'll be an interesting offseason, they still have plenty of options to play with even if they won't have a top 5 pick.
    So you are basically implying that you expecting that this team next year will just FINALLY to start playing with defense? BI is going into year 6 next year and he just wakes up and play better defense, close down on turnovers and decision making ? Zion to take be above average defender next year? Because if we are making the playoffs basically with the same team that's what it will require for us to be a sure fire playoff team. I just don't see it. No magic off-season and training camp will warrent that. Maybe Zion year 4 ala AD will take a defensive leap, but I won't expect that and shouldn't expect that from him next year. At best I can see him being average on defense.

The only way we make the playoffs realistically next year is if we bring in a defensive maker, expecting our two best players is fools gold and a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    right on...

i just dont understand how some posters legit think that our 2 all stars are going to tank for a damn rookie.......bi put the org. on notice and said he dont play on missing the playoffs again after the bubble so that should have told posters that this team was gunning for the playoffs this season....

i see the same team coming back next season to start the season off....only hart and lonzo is up in the air....i would let hart walk and sign marshal to take on hart role for cheap and use the money for hart on a decent 3 and D SF if any are on the market.....hope we can hit on the draft pick.....
    BI put this organization on notice, worked on his defense in the off season, and STILL is one of the worst defensive forwards in the league. Like let's have a honest conversation here, no optimism stuff. BI ceiling is a bucket getter with below average defense. Dude is going on year 6 and was projected to be a plus defender. His 3 level scoring causes issues because he is not quick enough to create his own shot, which requires 5 steps or more dribbling, and is not strong enough to drive and create fouls. In the 4 quarter he is basically mostly a shooter and his fourth quarter numbers are not good.

With this in mind, I would still be fine keeping him, but this team needs more defensive health and a closer to win games.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    What fairly significant interest? All I have seen is one article speculating that Warriors could have some interest in him.
    Agreed. I hope I'm wrong, but the Bledsoe and Adams signings pisses me off day by day when I care enough about this team.

yeah i think people are forgetting about the expiring thing...he should be gone before the trade deadline..
    The hope is he is gone in the off-season,from a salary standpoint wouldn't we need his salary gone to sign more helpful players in the off season?

Also can you guys post realistic off season plans? I have yet seen anyone do it. I posted mines and would love to see what you guys come up with. Maybe it can make me look like a idiot which was my goal making this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    So you are basically implying that you expecting that this team next year will just FINALLY to start playing with defense? BI is going into year 6 next year and he just wakes up and play better defense, close down on turnovers and decision making ? Zion to take be above average defender next year? Because if we are making the playoffs basically with the same team that's what it will require for us to be a sure fire playoff team. I just don't see it. No magic off-season and training camp will warrent that. Maybe Zion year 4 ala AD will take a defensive leap, but I won't expect that and shouldn't expect that from him next year. At best I can see him being average on defense.

The only way we make the playoffs realistically next year is if we bring in a defensive maker, expecting our two best players is fools gold and a mistake.
    I'm not expecting miracles from those two defensively. They can certainly progress. Especially Zion he has plenty of growth left. BI is also adapting to a new role. He's still young and a late bloomer. They don't need to be defensive stalwarts just to make the playoffs though. Like I said we aren't that far from the playoffs. We are talking about the difference of 3 games to have a winning record right now.

I hope the expectations are higher though. You have to hope those two get better defensively, and they should, but for now surround them with some defense. And preferably ones that can make open 3s.

So experience alone gets you another 3-5 wins and the playoffs. Some good offseason moves pushes you further than that.
    Last edited by Stalwart385; 04-16-2021 at 01:03 PM.

We need a 3 and D wing (maybe 2), a stretch 5 who can defend in space, and major defensive improvement from Zion. BI, defensively, is manageable. That's why I have my doubts that Lonzo will return (preferably we lose him via a sign and trade to fill one of the above needs). Put this 'Point Zion' stuff aside as a staple and bring in a real point guard (we simply expect too much from the man...too soon).

I'd....

...move Bledsoe **
    ...move Adams
    ...sign and trade Lonzo (easier said then done).
    ...make a play for Mike Conley (or whichever PG Miami or NYK lets go)
    ...re-sign Marshall
    ...re-sign JJ at the right price.

I'm totally up in the air on JHart.

In an ideal world, I'd package this year's 13 (or whatever), NAW or Kira, and all three of our two's in this draft for a top five pick this year.

** I might hold on to Bledsoe until mid-year as he will essentially be an expiring contract and perhaps more valuable.
    Last edited by As I See It; 04-16-2021 at 01:35 PM.

Agreed. I hope I'm wrong, but the Bledsoe and Adams signings pisses me off day by day when I care enough about this team.
    If Griff was so infatuated by Adams that he had to give up a 1st and 2 2nds to get him and then overpay, he should have at least required OKC to take Bledsoe. Having both was poor negotiating by Griff.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    The move to get Adams was okay. But the cost was still a Mike Tyson Mystery

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I'm pretty sure I saw a column discussing interest from the Celtics as well, but I can't provide a source (as I don't remember where I read it) so feel free to dismiss it.

Basketball Guru
    niko and melli were just fine in new orleans small market....so im waiting to see if we are going to get some foreign shooters on the team to surround zion and ingram with...

this is Langdon's job to do right?...

niko and melli were just fine in new orleans small market....so im waiting to see if we are going to get some foreign shooters on the team to surround zion and ingram with...

this is Langdon's job to do right?...
    We already know who the next foreign shooter is......

James Nunnally

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    The move to get Adams was okay. But the cost was still a Mike Tyson Mystery
    About sums it up. We are definitely a better team with Steve than without, but is he the best possible fit? Not by a long shot. We needed a player like him but I’m not sure we needed someone of his caliber to fulfill the old school big man role. You can get by with someone a bit less effective in his position.

Bledsoe had to go to OKC if we were attaching a pick to that deal. We caved when we didn’t need to- and something tells me that may have to do with ownership’s desire to win now. We need to let the winning come naturally this time and pull the trigger once the pieces are in place. I don’t believe we are as far off as people think, but like all other organizations we need to be smart and not continue to bite on bad deals as we have in the past (Asik, Hill, Etc.). We have the assets for when the time comes.

BI put this organization on notice, worked on his defense in the off season, and STILL is one of the worst defensive forwards in the league. Like let's have a honest conversation here, no optimism stuff. BI ceiling is a bucket getter with below average defense. Dude is going on year 6 and was projected to be a plus defender. His 3 level scoring causes issues because he is not quick enough to create his own shot, which requires 5 steps or more dribbling, and is not strong enough to drive and create fouls. In the 4 quarter he is basically mostly a shooter and his fourth quarter numbers are not good.

With this in mind, I would still be fine keeping him, but this team needs more defensive health and a closer to win games.
    BI is one of the better iso 3s in the league, and one of the best 3s at driving into the lane and creating fouls or assists. He is not a turnover machine by any means for the amount he handles the ball. This nonsense getting spread around on this crazy website about his 1st step is just that...nonsense.

Also, since that big 4th quarter comeback against Boston, his clutch offensive numbers, on all 3 levels also rank among the best. So I don't know what you are looking at offensively.

His on ball defense is actually not the worst. He def fg % is much better than Kawhi this year. But off-ball yes this entire team outside of a couple, are headless chickens. That gets better with coaching continuity.

So basically, this team is set with it's top 2 players. Just be patient with the other young ones and continue to find better vets that contribute to winning. You can start with getting rid of Bladsoe ASAP and getting something for Lonzo.
    Last edited by luckyman; 04-16-2021 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    BI is one of the better iso 3s in the league, and one of the best 3s at driving into the lane and creating fouls or assists. He is not a turnover machine by any means for the amount he handles the ball. This nonsense getting spread around on this crazy website about his 1st step is just that...nonsense.

Also, since that big 4th quarter comeback against Boston, his clutch offensive numbers, on all 3 levels also rank among the best. So I don't know what you are looking at offensively.

His on ball defense is actually not the worst. He def fg % is much better than Kawhi this year. But off-ball yes this entire team outside of a couple, are headless chickens. That gets better with coaching continuity.

So basically, this team is set with it's top 2 players. Just be patient with the other young ones and continue to find better vets that contribute to winning. You can start with getting rid of Bladsoe ASAP and getting something for Lonzo.
    You are dead right. For the life of me, I don't understand how or why our fanbase underestimates BI.

This team has two legitimate modern-day NBA starters (BI and Zion). Adams is a dinosaur, Bledsoe's day has come and gone (I'm really being generous here), and Lonzo lacks consistency.

As for what's in the wings, the only other player who I project as an Modern Day, NBA Starter is JAXSON (but that is probably some time away).

So in my mind, at a minimum, I see a need for a whole new back court capable of making, and challenging the three without fouling. A stretch five would be nice, too, until JAXSON is truly ready to step up to the challenge. Why not, Mike Conley, Duncan Robinson and Kelly Olynyk?

NAW, Kira, JHart, Marshall, and JJ are (or can be) adequate rotational players.
    Last edited by As I See It; 04-16-2021 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    We need a 3 and D wing (maybe 2), a stretch 5 who can defend in space, and major defensive improvement from Zion. BI, defensively, is manageable. That's why I have my doubts that Lonzo will return (preferably we lose him via a sign and trade to fill one of the above needs). Put this 'Point Zion' stuff aside as a staple and bring in a real point guard (we simply expect too much from the man...too soon).

I'd....

...move Bledsoe **
    ...move Adams
    ...sign and trade Lonzo (easier said then done).
    ...make a play for Mike Conley (or whichever PG Miami or NYK lets go)
    ...re-sign Marshall
    ...re-sign JJ at the right price.

I'm totally up in the air on JHart.

In an ideal world, I'd package this year's 13 (or whatever), NAW or Kira, and all three of our two's in this draft for a top five pick this year.

** I might hold on to Bledsoe until mid-year as he will essentially be an expiring contract and perhaps more valuable.
    Unless GSW or a team looking to contend somehow gets into the top 5 I see no way a team trades us a top 5 pick especially with THIS draft class.

If we was 8th like was 3 weeks ago... We could trade up. At 12th... Oh no. We tried to do that last year in a crappy draft. At nobody playing ball with us unless we give up about 3 1st.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    If we was 8th like was 3 weeks ago... We could trade up. At 12th... Oh no. We tried to do that last year in a crappy draft. At nobody playing ball with us unless we give up about 3 1st.
    They aren't gonna lose games on purpose, dude. You need to accept that. And even if we did luck out, get high in the draft...we'd probably flip the pick for a veteran.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    They aren't gonna lose games on purpose, dude. You need to accept that. And even if we did luck out, get high in the draft...we'd probably flip the pick for a veteran.
    Yep...someone like Omer Asik.

PLEASE BE PATIENT AND ENJOY THE DEVELOPMENT! ALSO ENJOY THE ERIC BLEDSOE ERA!

WON'T BOW DOWN

I ' M IN!

Thread Information