Pelicans Report

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9

Thread: April 14th - New Orleans Pelicans VS New York Knicks - 25-29

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Since it is a players league. Are our players responding to SVG? The answer is probably no
    Reading between the line, I've definitely gotten the impression that Van Gundy has rubbed Steven Adams the wrong way, and he doesn't seem too thrilled with the amount and length of our practices.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Since it is a players league. Are our players responding to SVG? The answer is probably no
    On what authority do you have the right to answer the question you posed? And, how you can make that assessment with our junior varsity squad, no true training camp, in a condensed schedule with no practice time, and after playing only 55 games? There has got to be something more to your hatred of SVG. I wonder if Sun fans felt the same way last year about the aforementioned, Monty Williams.

I think it is 12 games (I could be wrong) that we have had a double digit lead in the second half in which we ended up losing for lack of a bonified closer. Had we won even half of those games (some against the doormats of the league), our 25 - 30 record would be 31 - 24 and we would be vying for, not a play-in game, but seeding (with the same junior varsity squad). But alas, it was not to be...and you pin this on SVG? It's not just a players league when a team builds up a double digit lead, it's also a players league when they squander that lead.

It's well documented that I was no SVG man when he was hired. My choices were Stephen Silas, Kenny Atkinson and Dave Joerger. Then when it became apparent that negotiations to extend Billy Donovan in OKC broke down, I was all over him. So, I have no reason to tout SVG as Pelicans Head Coach, but truth be told, where we are has less to do with him and more to do with what we are..,a junior varsity squad.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Thibs took a makeshift roster full of seasoned veterans (some of whom he's handpicked and coached before) and crafted them into steamroller of sorts. He deserves all the praise he gets.

SVG inherited a roster full of young 'uns, most of whom are still on their rookie contracts and coming off a year of the "Defensive Genius of Gentry" with no training camp of significance, and made do.

Tell me, do you see a difference in the make up of the teams?
    Not really. Randle has been a defensive disaster for most of his career. What defensive stalwarts did they hand pick?

Thibs took a makeshift roster full of seasoned veterans (some of whom he's handpicked and coached before) and crafted them into steamroller of sorts. He deserves all the praise he gets.

SVG inherited a roster full of young 'uns, most of whom are still on their rookie contracts and coming off a year of the "Defensive Genius of Gentry" with no training camp of significance, and made do.

Not really. Randle has been a defensive disaster for most of his career. What defensive stalwarts did they hand pick? Would think young 'uns would be more open to teaching/molding than veterans set in their ways.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Not really. Randle has been a defensive disaster for most of his career. What defensive stalwarts did they hand pick? Would think young 'uns would be more open to teaching/molding than veterans set in their ways.
    Of course, you've framed your question poorly; the temptation was just too great. I said nothing about handpicking "defensive stalwarts" as your question suggests. I said he handpicked "seasoned veterans". But alas, I'm used to my words being mischaracterized.

Thibs brought in "seasoned veterans" like former NBA MVP, Derrick Rose, Nerlens Noel, and Alec Burks. Now tell me ('cause I really don't know), what players did SVG handpick for his roster?
    Last edited by As I See It; 04-16-2021 at 11:44 AM. Reason: misspelling

Of course, you've framed your question poorly; the temptation was just too great. I said nothing about handpicking "defensive stalwarts" as your question suggests. I said he handpicked "seasoned veterans". But alas, I'm used to my words being mischaracterized.

Thibs brought in "seasoned veterans" like former NBA MVP, Derrick Rose, Nerlens Noel, and Alec Burks. Now tell me ('cause I really don't know), what players did SVG handpick for his roster?
    So, "hand picking" is the reason Thibs was successful and not SVG? I know Thibs likely wanted Rose, but Burks and Noel "hand-picked" or simply FAs added? Is Rose really the difference? As far as "mischaracterizing your words", you are the one who said those "hand-picked" players are the reason for Thibs defensive success.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    So, "hand picking" is the reason Thibs was successful and not SVG? I know Thibs likely wanted Rose, but Burks and Noel "hand-picked" or simply FAs added? Is Rose really the difference? As far as "mischaracterizing your words", you are the one who said those "hand-picked" players are the reason for Thibs defensive success.
    Where did I say that? If I did, I will happily take responsibility for it, but, I, respectfully think you are mistaken.

I believe this is my post that you responded to...

Last edited by As I See It; 04-16-2021 at 01:43 PM.

Thread Information