Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: April 14th - New Orleans Pelicans VS New York Knicks - 25-29

Be nice to go through a game and people quit trying to pick fights with each other. There is only like 13 users here and all we do is fight, man.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Be nice to go through a game and people quit trying to pick fights with each other. There is only like 13 users here and all we do is fight, man.
    well let me pick a fight with you.....i wish yall would stop that damn tank talking around here...

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    well let me pick a fight with you.....i wish yall would stop that damn tank talking around here...
    Eh, that is understandable. I want another elite prospect. This team is no where close to be a contender in the current landscape in the short term or long term.

Eh, that is understandable. I want another elite prospect. This team is no where close to be a contender in the current landscape in the short term or long term.
    Good teams have lots and lots of talent on them.

We don't.

So we need to acquire talent.

Nobody comes here in free agency so it's trades or drafts, and you can only trade for a star if one comes up, so otherwise it's the draft. Very clear why some people hope we can get a top 5 pick this year and add some more talent.
    Basketball.

Good teams have extreme talent at the top, and more importantly, talented experience throughout.

This team has talent, but is quite short on experience. It pretty much taps out at Steven Adams and now James Johnson as far as experienced players that contribute to some sort of winning.

I believe there are 4 (or 5 if you include the Lakers), teams that have at least 2 players that average 24+ points. The Pelicans are one of them.

Of all those tandems, the Pelican's is the youngest. As of next year, it will also be the cheapest once Tatum's extension money kicks in.

Pels Life.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Good teams have lots and lots of talent on them.

We don't.

So we need to acquire talent.

Nobody comes here in free agency so it's trades or drafts, and you can only trade for a star if one comes up, so otherwise it's the draft. Very clear why some people hope we can get a top 5 pick this year and add some more talent.
    There is so little experienced talent on this team that even a secondary or tertiary level free agent is an upgrade. Hell the team was upgraded with the acquisition of Dallas castoff, James Johnson, just a few weeks ago. Last Night we played ten players:

...three were brand new to the team
    ...one was a 'two-way all year
    ...one was a rookie who started seeing limited playing time in February
    ...one who is a throwback to a different era of basketball
    ...one who may turn out to be good in time
    ...one who seems to want to be anywhere else but here
    ...and BI and Zion.

Of the starters who started last night, only two are truly NBA Starters in today's NBA and one of them is critically flawed defensively.

Now we have NAW, Josh, and Lonzo in the wings, but please spare me. Most pray that Lonzo is gone before next year. Josh is a nice role player. NAW may, or may not, eventually develop into a serviceable player but, regardless, I doubt that he will ever be a starter.

So we better be active in Free Agency, because even if we traded for Bradley Beal and his below average defense, and we reaped the 12th pick of this years draft, prospects for a better 21-22 season are totally dependent on free agency this summer.
    Last edited by As I See It; 04-15-2021 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    There is so little experienced talent on this team that even a secondary or tertiary level free agent is an upgrade. Hell the team was upgraded with the acquisition of Dallas castoff, James Johnson, just a few weeks ago. Last Night we played ten players:

...three were brand new to the team
    ...one was a 'two-way all year
    ...one was a rookie who started seeing limited playing time in February
    ...one who is a throwback to a different era of basketball
    ...one who may turn out to be good in time
    ...one who seems to be anywhere else but here
    ...and BI and Zion.

Of the starters who started last night only two are truly NBA Starters in today's NBA and one of them is critically flawed defensively.

Now we have NAW, Josh, and Lonzo in the wings, but please spare me. Most pray that Lonzo is gone before next year. Josh is a nice role player. NAW may, or may not, eventually develop into a serviceable player but, regardless, I doubt that he will ever be a starter.

So we better be active in Free Agency, because even if we traded for Bradley Beal and his below average defense, and we reaped the 12th pick of this years draft, prospects for a better 21-22 season are totally dependent on free agency this summer.

When you have really smart and well run organizations like Toronto and OKC tanking in this particular draft. It illustrate a few things...

1. FA is Hot Garbage this year
    2. This draft could be very special
    3. We have proven to not be very smart and stubborn at identifying what's the best interest us for the team. We operate in a fashion that believes we are more talented than we are and above needing an elite prospect or be in position to trade for one.

We are stuck picking in the one place no team wants to be. 11-13th, because you have to beat the odds to find a player to help you ascend not just be a role player. I wasn't a fan last year, because the draft prospect were bleh. This year is different. The draft could be really good.

If better organization are focusing on persevering their lottery standings over winning. I don't see how you can argue that it's wrong.

As much as I love our guys besides Zion... They aren't consistent and haven't shown any elite skill set.. They are good role players that are super young. We need another elite prospect if you really want to be a year in and year out contender instead of making the playoffs once every 5 years.
    Last edited by Taker597; 04-15-2021 at 01:14 PM.

As much as I love our guys besides Zion... They aren't consistent and haven't shown any elite skill set.
    You had me until this. BI hasn't shown you an elite skill set? I'll counter with...

Nobody is a scoring threat on this team from anywhere on the court but #14. Ball is in your court.

You have to wonder if Dolan has started the process of campaigning for Zion to become a Knick. Dolan was at the game last night and per reports he never really travels to games outside the Garden.

Basketball Guru

i was just messing with you....

question,,coming into this season did you honestly believe that we were going to be top 5 draft pick bad?........i think we all can agree on before the injuries this team should have been a 5-7 seed at that time if it was not for some dumb player mistakes and bad coaching mistakes...

my thing with the tanking talk is that you had some posters bringing it up after the first pacers game we loss and went on that bad streak....i just dont understand how some posters believe that 2 all stars are going to loose on purpose just to get a top 5 rookie when the whole team was healthy....and im not saying that you were in that group but if you were then yeah, i just dont understand yall with the tanking talk while the team was healthy with 2 all stars.....we have talent so use the draft picks to add to our 2 stars and also try to build a winning environment at the same time...

now i may not be qualified on the tanking thing to build because im a rare breed that like to pay my money to be able to go to playoffs games and dont care if we are the 8th seed 10 years in a row....im just glad that we are in the dance....

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    You have to wonder if Dolan has started the process of campaigning for Zion to become a Knick. Dolan was at the game last night and per reports he never really travels to games outside the Garden.
    No one has to wonder anything. It's a settled fact that other teams have been trying to recruit Zion away from New Orleans since before he played his first game. That won't change.

Talk about a one year turn around

Talk about a one year turn around

This is precisely why I don't understand all the hype over Bradley Beal. Defense is a prerequisite when competing for championships in all team sports; Beal simply doesn't fit the bill in New Orleans.

At present, we already are a Top 8 scoring offense while languishing in the Bottom 4 in scoring defense. How much better can Beal make our offense? And, if he could improve it, at what expense would it be to our already paper-thin defense in which our two best current players are hardly defensive juggernauts?

That's why we need to identify the best available 3 and D Guy(s) available and make him/them our number one priority.
    Last edited by As I See It; 04-15-2021 at 03:12 PM.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Um. Are you suggesting the Knicks are title contenders?

This is precisely why I don't understand all the hype over Bradley Beal. Defense is a prerequisite when competing for championships in all team sports; Beal simply doesn't fit the bill in New Orleans.

At present, we already are a Top 8 scoring offense while languishing in the Bottom 4 in scoring defense. How much better can Beal make our offense? And, if he could improve it, at what expense would it be to our already paper-thin defense in which our two best current players are hardly defensive juggernauts?

That's why we need to identify the best available 3 and D Guy(s) available and make him/them our number one priority.
    Amazing how a defensive coach like Thibs took a makeshift roster and made them a top defensive team in one season. A defensive coach like SVG has done nothing to improve this team's defense.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Amazing how a defensive coach like Thibs took a makeshift roster and made them a top defensive team in one season. A defensive coach like SVG has done nothing to improve this team's defense.
    Thibs took a makeshift roster full of seasoned veterans (some of whom he's handpicked and coached before) and crafted them into steamroller of sorts. He deserves all the praise he gets.

SVG inherited a roster full of young 'uns, most of whom are still on their rookie contracts and coming off a year of the "Defensive Genius of Gentry" with no training camp of significance, and made do.

Tell me, do you see a difference in the make up of the teams?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I'm fairly confident they will be dancing while we are tripping all over ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Bet you did not see the Heat as title contenders last season.

I'm fairly confident they will be dancing while we are tripping all over ourselves.
    Lucky number #13 in the lottery. Us not them.

Lucky number #13 in the lottery. Us not them.
    I hear ya!!

Bet you did not see the Heat as title contenders last season.
    The Heat had a record of 44-29 (.603 record) with a net rating of +3, were top 12 in both offense and defense, and had two all-NBA players on the roster.

The Knicks this year have a record of 29-27 (.518) with a net rating of +1.4, have a bottom 10 offense despite their top 5 defense, and nobody on their team is an all-NBA calibre player.

The Heat were a mild surprise in last year's playoffs, but not a huge one. The Knicks making a similar run this year would be a genuinely shock, given the limited top-end talent on the roster (there is nobody on that team as good as Butler or Bam were last year) and their extremely trudging offense.

They are 6-15 against the top teams in the league for a reason.

The Heat had a record of 44-29 (.603 record) with a net rating of +3, were top 12 in both offense and defense, and had two all-NBA players on the roster.

The Knicks this year have a record of 29-27 (.518) with a net rating of +1.4, have a bottom 10 offense despite their top 5 defense, and nobody on their team is an all-NBA calibre player.

The Heat were a mild surprise in last year's playoffs, but not a huge one. The Knicks making a similar run this year would be a genuinely shock, given the limited top-end talent on the roster (there is nobody on that team as good as Butler or Bam were last year) and their extremely trudging offense.

Just for S&G's, let's compare Butler and Adebayo (last year) to Julius Randle (this year):

2019-20.... Jimmy Butler: 19.9/6.7/6.0; .455/.244/.834
    2019-20.... Bam Adebayo: 15.9/10.2/5.1; .557/.143/.691

2020-21.... Julius Randle: 23.2/10.6/6.0; .460/.404/.803

It never fails to amaze me how you make these brash claims that are so easily disproved. (I realize you've made it abundantly clear in the past how you feel about Julius Randle, so I will say you are consistent, my friend)
    Last edited by As I See It; 04-15-2021 at 07:39 PM.

If that is you’re argument then we should have beat the Knicks.
    Tell me about the Pelicans now. How many double digit leads blown theses season? How many losses to teams below.500? Defense ranking?
    At least the Knicks are above .500
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 04-15-2021 at 07:44 PM.

If that is you’re argument then we should have beat the Knicks.
    Tell me about the Pelicans now. How many double digit leads blown theses season? How many losses to teams below.500? Defense ranking?
    At least the Knicks are above .500
    Uh... no? That's not my argument whatsoever, and I don't even see how you can get that from what I said.

Someone asked if you suggested the Knicks would be title contenders, and you responded saying ''did anyone think the Heat were title contenders last year?'', which is obviously implying that it's not right to count the Knicks out, given that the Heat were a surprise.

I just explained why the Knicks are not at all in the same category as the Heat were last year.

That has absolutely nothing to do with whether we, a terrible team, should have beaten them or not, or how many leads we've blown, or how bad out defense is. Your response is an absurd non sequitur. Everyone knows we suck, we blow leads all the time, we play down to our competition at every opportunity and our defense is terrible: everyone knows that. It has nothing to do with the point I was making at all. Don't be ridiculous.

Thread Information