Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: How do we reach the next level ?

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    Glad you pointed that out, because I was thinking the same.
    Can also point to the fact that we're only 2 games ahead of OKC who has only like 2 real NBA players on the entire roster and a new head coach this year.

NY Knicks starting lineup has 7+ years of NBA experience each and kept its leader from last year. We are doing better than Chicago and neck and neck with Indiana and all 3 as pointed out are playing in an easier conference.

We have half that much experience and lost Jrue. To be fair I am not sure how much of our issues , especially defense, can be laid on the fact that the team hasn't had an offseason to jell and learn the system. While other teams may have had a new coach it seems with more experienced players used to playing with each other they could handle the change better in this compacted season with limited practices.

Are we blaming SVG for JJ and Bledsoe falling off a cliff ?

Bledsoe's heart doesn't seem to be in it, unless there is some long term injury hampering him. He used to be a defensive allstar but is not showing anything like that now. Is he sitting at age 31 thinking he was traded from a championship contender to one whose window will open around the time he nears retirement.

JJ just seems to be losing the battle with Father time.

I think our record reflects the fact that our team does a poor job guarding the perimeter and we aren’t able to consistently score from the perimeter. And in today’s NBA that’s not a good combination.

Both the skill sets of todays players and the way the games are officiated have given an edge to perimeter play.

I think we can get away with inconsistent perimeter scoring, since our scoring in the paint is so efficient. But we can’t also get away with poor perimeter defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Rampart View Post
    NY Knicks starting lineup has 7+ years of NBA experience each and kept its leader from last year. We are doing better than Chicago and neck and neck with Indiana and all 3 as pointed out are playing in an easier conference.

We have half that much experience and lost Jrue. To be fair I am not sure how much of our issues , especially defense, can be laid on the fact that the team hasn't had an offseason to jell and learn the system. While other teams may have had a new coach it seems with more experienced players used to playing with each other they could handle the change better in this compacted season with limited practices.

Are we blaming SVG for JJ and Bledsoe falling off a cliff ?

Bledsoe's heart doesn't seem to be in it, unless there is some long term injury hampering him. He used to be a defensive allstar but is not showing anything like that now. Is he sitting at age 31 thinking he was traded from a championship contender to one whose window will open around the time he nears retirement.

JJ just seems to be losing the battle with Father time.
    Okay now that we have all of the excuses laid out. What are the positives to keeping SVG? What has he done right? How has he elevated us? How will he take us to the next level?

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    Okay now that we have all of the excuses laid out. What are the positives to keeping SVG? What has he done right? How has he elevated us? How will he take us to the next level?
    question.....is it stan fault that teams went record crazy on us from the 3pt line this season?....hell, last night the hawks went 11 for 11 in a quarter from 3 on us.....so is that stan fault?...

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I don't think most of those teams have less talent than us. This team is significantly less talented than a lot of people seem to realise. We have two (that is 2) solid guaranteed NBA starters. That's it. We've had to rely for large parts of the season on guys who are not NBA players: we gave 600 minutes to this year's version of JJ Redick. Nicolo Melli got 300 minutes for us. Even now, we're having to rely on giving minutes to Isaiah Thomas - a guy who had not played in the NBA for well over a full year before last game - to field even a ramshackle guard rotation. Eric Bledsoe starts for this team.

You might argue that there is a more talented team than that hidden in the roster - that we should have been giving those Redick minutes to Kira earlier, for example - and I would agree with you on that but the actual team we were playing the majority of the season is just lacking talent and skill all around.

Has Chicago performed better than us? They're 20-28, a slightly worse record than us, and they play in the East for god's sake.
    UH-OH, I agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    question.....is it stan fault that teams went record crazy on us from the 3pt line this season?....hell, last night the hawks went 11 for 11 in a quarter from 3 on us.....so is that stan fault?...
    Yes because multiple teams have went crazy on us from 3pt line this season. Which means its a problem with the system and defensive philosophy. Teams literally know they will get open looks from 3 on us. They run the same plays over and over and we never adjust. I'd see if teams were hitting crazy contested 3s on us but nah they are getting great looks consistently. I just want to know what are the positives of SVG coaching at this point. Bad rotations, bad adjustments, bad system offensively/defensively. What is he doing right? He's 60 years old. Is it worth sacrificing another year of our young core to give him another shot? If so, what has he done to justify that? I've heard no positives just excuses.

Basketball Guru
    Yes because multiple teams have went crazy on us from 3pt line this season. Which means its a problem with the system and defensive philosophy. Teams literally know they will get open looks from 3 on us. They run the same plays over and over and we never adjust. I'd see if teams were hitting crazy contested 3s on us but nah they are getting great looks consistently. I just want to know what are the positives of SVG coaching at this point. Bad rotations, bad adjustments, bad system offensively/defensively. What is he doing right? He's 60 years old. Is it worth sacrificing another year of our young core to give him another shot? If so, what has he done to justify that? I've heard no positives just excuses.

im not a stan fan but i just think most of the games we loss were because of the players....

question...do you think if gentry were coaching this healthy team that we would be a top 5 seed right now or in the playoff seeding as of today?...

im not a stan fan but i just think most of the games we loss were because of the players....

question...do you think if gentry were coaching this healthy team that we would be a top 5 seed right now or in the playoff seeding as of today?...
    I think at a minimum, Gentry would have us in the playoffs. We've been healthy all season. Thats not to say that Gentry is the right coach for this team either because he's not. I think we need a younger more forward thinking coach that can relate to players and adjust to the game as currently played.

I don't like the constant blaming of players. Its not like the players can call audibles and play outside of the system. Its the coaches job to put players in the right position to win and that hasn't been done. Its not the players fault, that the rotations are bad. Its not the players fault that Stan leaves Adams on the court for extended periods of time while other teams completely ignore him defensively as he halts our offense. Its not the players fault, that we're not adjusting defensively. Stan tells them to drop back on P&R so they do, they can't audible and do something else. Stan finds one thing that works and abuses it, and once the other team figures it out we're dead in the water. I.E Point Zion. He relied so heavily on riding Zion, that we have no other direction when he's off the court.
    Last edited by HoustonPelicans; 04-07-2021 at 11:40 AM.

We desperately need a big time shot maker (think poor man?s Lillard- a guy that can create his own and shoot well off the dribble), and it wouldn?t hurt to have consistent spacing with 3&D players surrounding Zion and Ingram. In short- we need players that can actually shoot. Let Zion dominate the interior, Ingram dominate the midrange area and give them the space to do it. Make defenses hold the other guys accountable.

How many games were we up going into the fourth quarter and ended up losing? Does that mean that SVG is a competent coach in quarters 1 through 3 but sucks in the fourth quarter? LMAO!!! This is not a SVG issue; this is a Griff issue. The game in crunch time is in the hands of the players (both of them). If they can overcome the deficiencies of the other three weaklings on the court with them, we win. If they can't; we don't. And even our two players have issues defensively. It's that simple. We can blame SVG until the cows come home, but it wouldn't make it right.

Here's why we are where we are....

Derrick Favors over Julius Randall
    Nilola Melli over Christian Wood
    JJ Reddick over Father Time
    Steven Adams??? Maybe to spread the floor? LOL

I have said it for two years, and stand by it today. BI, Zion, and JAXSON are untouchable. Everyone else has a price. (I'm sorry to all you NAW fans)

Replace Bledsoe with a legit talented all-star caliber free agent. Sign a couple pit bulls for the bench and keep developing NAW so he can hopefully eventually be our aggressive Jordan Clarkson/Lou Williams bench scorer.

Steven Adam?s is a very good center. Has a post game, good defender, good rebounder, good passer. Anyone who says otherwise is either pessimistic or a fool.

Bledsoe on the other hand sucks.

Zion, Ingram, and Adams should be starters next year unless Hayes makes a giant leap.

The other 2 starters should be the best 2 out of Kira, NAW, and whoever we draft.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Steven Adam?s is a very good center. Has a post game, good defender, good rebounder, good passer. Anyone who says otherwise is either pessimistic or a fool.

Zion, Ingram, and Adams should be starters next year unless Hayes makes a giant leap.

The other 2 starters should be the best 2 out of Kira, NAW, and whoever we draft.
    Only a fool could make such a claim. Adams is okay, at best!! Very good? Pshaw!!

...and he certainly doesn't provide this team what it needs.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    How many games were we up going into the fourth quarter and ended up losing? Does that mean that SVG is a competent coach in quarters 1 through 3 but sucks in the fourth quarter? LMAO!!! This is not a SVG issue; this is a Griff issue. The game in crunch time is in the hands of the players (both of them). If they can overcome the deficiencies of the other three weaklings on the court with them, we win. If they can't; we don't. And even our two players have issues defensively. It's that simple. We can blame SVG until the cows come home, but it wouldn't make it right.

Here's why we are where we are....

Derrick Favors over Julius Randall
    Nilola Melli over Christian Wood
    JJ Reddick over Father Time
    Steven Adams??? Maybe to spread the floor? LOL

I have said it for two years, and stand by it today. BI, Zion, and JAXSON are untouchable. Everyone else has a price. (I'm sorry to all you NAW fans)

watching that atlanta game last night...can you just picture what it would look like if zion and ingram were surrounded with shooters...

Adams started the season very well but over the course of the schedule it looks like his body is breaking down. Billy needs to be in more with JAX and shorten Adams minutes in order to conserve him.

Got to love how Monty built up the Suns fairly quick. Suns organization in great shape.

Adams’ problem is his game is not translating well into today’s NBA game. He is a good post and interior defender in an era where there aren’t many players who attempt to score in the post. He is a bad perimeter defender in an era when power forwards and centers are becoming bigger perimeter threats than ever.

His issue is he's not dominant on the offensive end. Doesn't matter what era. Zion has a dominant inside game to the point teams build a wall just for him.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by sterlr View Post
    Adams started the season very well but over the course of the schedule it looks like his body is breaking down. Billy needs to be in more with JAX and shorten Adams minutes in order to conserve him.
    i agree....you use adams against physical centers and let jax and billy play more against stretch centers...

So, anyone who disagrees with you is a fool? Sounds reasonable. Adams is a good center for some teams. He is a very good rebounder and only a decent, at best, defender. He is not a rim protector. He is a good passer and a very good screener. As far as hands, they have looked like Asik lately. He seems to fumble everything. I do not remember that about him in OKC. Bottom line is that he is not worth the price, in salary and in assets used to acquire him. Sadly, his body is 27, going on 40.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Got to love how Monty built up the Suns fairly quick. Suns organization in great shape.
    Coach is not the one that builds the team though.

I think at a minimum, Gentry would have us in the playoffs. We've been healthy all season. Thats not to say that Gentry is the right coach for this team either because he's not. I think we need a younger more forward thinking coach that can relate to players and adjust to the game as currently played.

I don't like the constant blaming of players. Its not like the players can call audibles and play outside of the system. Its the coaches job to put players in the right position to win and that hasn't been done. Its not the players fault, that the rotations are bad. Its not the players fault that Stan leaves Adams on the court for extended periods of time while other teams completely ignore him defensively as he halts our offense. Its not the players fault, that we're not adjusting defensively. Stan tells them to drop back on P&R so they do, they can't audible and do something else. Stan finds one thing that works and abuses it, and once the other team figures it out we're dead in the water. I.E Point Zion. He relied so heavily on riding Zion, that we have no other direction when he's off the court.
    What exactly are you basing your faith in Gentry on?

His track record?

Do you think he could get more out of Bledsoe this year than he got out of Holiday last season?

I beg to differ with you about SVG not putting the players in position to win games. How many double digit leads have the players squandered this year?

I think we all have to come to terms with the roster, OVERALL; it's woefully weak.

watching that atlanta game last night...can you just picture what it would look like if zion and ingram were surrounded with shooters...
    One can only dream!!

Basketball Guru
    hart and lonzo are up in the air.....imo our 9 or 10 man rotation next season will almost be the same as this season with a rookie as a new addition....so will the rookie make us better as some of you think because of how stack yall say the draft is?....

maybe we add one FA to replace hart or lonzo but we will have the same players in that rotation and coach that we have now imo lol....so how will we be better?.....will the rookie make an impact?...will lonzo replacement be the 3rd star?...

Thread Information