Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
That’s a very good piece. It's why I was pretty careful of picking certain players as examples. It's kind of why I wanted us to not be good for at least one more year to get a crack at drafting another elite player to grow with Zion. After getting done in by poor roster building with Chris Paul and AD. I'm always super concerned with roster building. At some point... There is a point of no return or going full rebuild in their prime. Then, these players want to jump ship and it's really heartbreaking to have to experience this twice in ten years.
For sure, I'm not accusing you of anything either since you weren't doing that, I just think it's something that has to be brought up.

For me the core thing is getting a superstar. Once you have a superstar, whatever that superstar's skillset is - whether it's Shaq or Embiid or Zion or Jordan or Lebron or Duncan or Bird or Nash or whoever - the task that follows is how to build around them. You don't build a team based on the skillset you wished your superstar had, you build around what they've got. That's the important part.

If we say to ourselves ''Zion is a powerful interior scorer who can handle the ball and do some playmaking (maybe even a lot of playmaking) but who isn't tall enough to defend bigs 100% and isn't quite fast enough laterally to defend the best guards at a top tier level; how do we build around that?'' then that's great. Cause, as of right now, that's the challenge that exists. If we say ''Zion is all those things but we really wish he was only an old-school play finisher who either caught the ball on the low block or spotted up, and otherwise didn't touch the ball'' then you're screwed before you start.

It's the same thing as Minnesota building around KAT as if he's a traditional big man who is a defensive anchor, when he's much more like a *giant* wing. You end up with a terrible roster of bad-fits who underachieve and you lose a lot.

Right now I think we're probably going to miss the playoffs. We may make it in, we do have chances in the schedule upcoming, but I just don't trust this roster to execute on them. So I think we're going to get another lottery pick - God knows exactly where it ends up. Next year though, and this offseason I guess as part of that, I really hope we can start securing the pieces of the future. It takes time to build, make choices, make draft picks, find trades, etc, but when you're 3 years deep into your Superstar's 4 year rookie deal you want to be at least on the clear path.