Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: April 4th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Houston Rockets - 21-27

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar

Kinda like it! Crazy long starting lineup. If you could somehow get the money and contracts to work, you could basically run back going 10 deep with the reserves being:

Kira
    NAW
    Hart
    James Johnson
    Hernangomez

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post

Kinda like it! Crazy long starting lineup. If you could somehow get the money and contracts to work, you could basically run back going 10 deep with the reserves being:

Kira
    NAW
    Hart
    James Johnson
    Hernangomez
    If you think you're trading for KAT without moving Kira, Hart, Lonzo, or NAW, you're nuts.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I know that injuries come for everyone and we were kind of due our own, but man. Nothing really for months and then 30 come at once.
    It's because I stepped in Louisiana for the first time in over a year. Lol

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Guess we need to fire Aaron Nelson now. Damn you results based evaluation!

If you think you're trading for KAT without moving Kira, Hart, Lonzo, or NAW, you're nuts.
    I don't think so. Adams and Bledsoe make the salaries work this summer. Then you can make their pick for them at our pick (top 12 very likely) then trade three of our future picks in alternating years PLUS the two Laker first rounders PLUS the two Bucks first rounders PLUS a ton of second rounders we hold PLUS pick swaps. It wouldn't even take all of that, but it may be close. Point being it would more than enough to use potentially 8 first rounders and as many second rounders and pick swaps. If we really wanted to we wouldn't have to move any of Kira, Hart, Lonzo or NAW.
    Last edited by donato; 04-05-2021 at 12:40 PM.

I don't think so. Adams and Bledsoe make the salaries work this summer. Then you can make their pick for them at our pick (top 12 very likely) then trade three of our future picks in alternating years PLUS the two Laker first rounders PLUS the two Bucks first rounders PLUS a ton of second rounders we hold PLUS pick swaps. It wouldn't even take all of that, but it may be close. Point being it would more than enough to use potentially 8 first rounders and as many second rounders and pick swaps. If we really wanted to we wouldn't have to move any of Kira, Hart, Lonzo or NAW.
    It has very little to do with the salaries working: if the Wolves are moving KAT, they want an AD sized haul in return, surely, or near to it. That means that along with picks (let's say a total of 4 FRPs and a few swaps - I don't think it's wise to trade every pick you have at once) they'll want at least one young player they think can be something. We're obviously not moving Zion, so unless you want to move Ingram that means they're going to want Lonzo or Kira, potentially both.

Personally, I'm fine with that: you move young maybes for Definitely Stars, especially if they seem like they'd fit well. You just have to be aware that that's the price of doing business.

It has very little to do with the salaries working: if the Wolves are moving KAT, they want an AD sized haul in return, surely, or near to it. That means that along with picks (let's say a total of 4 FRPs and a few swaps - I don't think it's wise to trade every pick you have at once) they'll want at least one young player they think can be something. We're obviously not moving Zion, so unless you want to move Ingram that means they're going to want Lonzo or Kira, potentially both.

Personally, I'm fine with that: you move young maybes for Definitely Stars, especially if they seem like they'd fit well. You just have to be aware that that's the price of doing business.
    The point is you can offer them up to EIGHT. Plus a ton of seconds and pick swaps. That would overcome any young players needed to be added if you so choose. But if you want to argue about it, go for it.

The point is you can offer them up to EIGHT. Plus a ton of seconds and pick swaps. That would overcome any young players needed to be added if you so choose. But if you want to argue about it, go for it.
    You can offer them up to eight but why would they want that many, when they could have a few fewer and also get players they want?

Name me a time any multi-time allstar has ever been traded for just draft picks, regardless of how many.

You can offer them up to eight but why would they want that many, when they could have a few fewer and also get players they want?

Name me a time any multi-time allstar has ever been traded for just draft picks, regardless of how many.
    Name me a time any multi-time Allstar has ever been traded to a team who had the first round assets to substitute for young players the Pelicans do?

If they put KAT up for trade do you really think if we offered them 8 firsts and a bunch of our better seconds with pick swaps and used Adams and Bledsoe to match salaries anyone else would likely exceed that offer?

They'd be in rebuilding mode again so wouldn't care so much about Adams and Bledsoe for a couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Guess we need to fire Aaron Nelson now. Damn you results based evaluation!
    He’s keeping Bledsoe healthy at least.

Name me a time any multi-time Allstar has ever been traded to a team who had the first round assets to substitute for young players the Pelicans do?
    Way to dodge the question.

I can't name you a time that's happened because until basically now, teams haven't ever had hauls of picks that deep. Whereas teams have often had the choice between trading guys to teams for draft picks vs trading for a mix of picks and players, and guess which option they've always taken?

If you're a GM and you have a choice between trading your superstar for 5 picks and 3 players, and 7 or 8 picks, you take the prior offer every time. Why? Because the odds are that 8th pick is in 7 year's time: statistically, you're not going to be the GM by then, you have to make things happen sooner rather than later. Don't get me wrong, that doesn't mean taht teams don't value draft picks, of course they do, but 5 picks is a lot of picks and adding players to it that you believe in can help a lot more than waiting to see what a given pick is going to be in 2029.

I can't name you a time that's happened because until basically now, teams haven't ever had hauls of picks that deep

Exactly. That's why the Pelicans are in a unique situation and could likely get it done if they chose to do it that way. Thanks for playing.

Also who historically has given up 5 first round picks and 3 good young prospects? Way to move the goalposts. We can outbid just about anyone with picks alone.

Also who historically has given up 5 first round picks and 3 good young prospects? Way to move the goalposts. We can outbid just about anyone with picks alone.
    Los Angeles, for Anthony Davis.

Los Angeles, for Anthony Davis.
    The Lakers didn't give us 5 first round picks. Any other examples??

The number THREE is significantly less than the number FIVE.

The Lakers didn't give us 5 first round picks. Any other examples??
    They gave us 3 firsts and a bunch of swaps. I'm assuming you don't think pick swaps count as draft control, then?

You said picks. We can also offer swaps which I mentioned from the beginning. Why is this so difficult for you?

I'm happy with the Win , but what's going on with all these injuries?

Pick swaps are absolutely not the same thing as draft picks. 2 reasons why:

1. What if both swaps they end up having a worse pick than us, the swaps are useless.

2. It’s not the same as a pick and I’ll prove it now. Would you rather trade a player for 2 firsts or have 2 swap rights? Exactly.

You said picks. We can also offer swaps which I mentioned from the beginning. Why is this so difficult for you?
    It's not ''difficult'', I just don't think that you can solve the problem of teams wanting some players back for their superstar by throwing more and more picks. At some point, the value of the additional pick is too small. I like rice, but I'm not just going to eat 50 plates of rice, I eventually want something to go with it.

If I'm Minnesota and I decide I want to ship KAT and I have NOLA offering me 8 firsts and that's it, vs OKC offering me something like 4 or 5 firsts (which they could very easily do) but also offering me Pokusevski and Dort, I'm taking the OKC offer. Sure, it's fewer firsts but the value of a first is, in large part, in the ability to acquire players with it, either through the draft or through the trade. Well if I have the opportunity to get a pick that might maybe one day allow me to get a Pokusevski, or just Poku straight up I'll go with the actual guy.

OKC wouldn’t do that. It wouldn’t make sense for them. So basically your example is unrealistic. My original point stands. We absolutely have the firepower to keep those guys and just give up picks and swaps if we want to.

OKC wouldn’t do that. It wouldn’t make sense for them. So basically your example is unrealistic. My original point stands. We absolutely have the firepower to keep those guys and just give up picks and swaps if we want to.
    Less realistic than a team trading a franchise player for just picks?

Gotcha

Thread Information