Pelicans Report

Thread: Free Agent Guard Isaiah Thomas plans to sign a 10 day deal with Pelicans

Free Agent Guard Isaiah Thomas plans to sign a 10 day deal with Pelicans

Just heard it today
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	639CD0E1-A1F9-4108-803A-9535BC487D93.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	6573  

Because what the pelicans need is more guards
    Basketball.

Just let the young guns play man. This must be because of the Zo injury

Hart hurt too now so makes sense
    Last edited by All Metro; 04-02-2021 at 01:30 PM.
    SIGN A SF

Apparently Hart is injured now also

Quote Originally Posted by AtlPelsFan View Post
    Apparently Hart is injured now also
    Trade him to a playoff contender. Gosh what a horrible feeling that must be.

Apparently Pels had to sign someone to make up a full roster, 14 players.

From what little I know about Isiah I really like this, another all star. Short term injury cover. He could lead the bench. He can shoot 40% + from 3. Why not see what he can do ?
    Just another Kiwi basking in the reflected glory of Steven Adams....bask bask...

Can we sign him on the long term? I really like that little guy.

Quote Originally Posted by IVAN_NOH View Post
    Can we sign him on the long term? I really like that little guy.
    He's bad at basketball and has been for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Question...

How can you be a two time All Star and make an All NBA Team (albeit second team) and be bad at basketball? Was he hurt? Did he have a surgery? Is he currently on the USA FIBA Team? If so, that's quite a trick for a guy who's 'bad at basketball'.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like the signing but my reason is because he's 5'9", not because he is 'bad at basketball'.

SMH

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Question...

How can you be a two time All Star and make an All NBA Team (albeit second team) and be bad at basketball? Was he hurt? Did he have a surgery? Is he currently on the USA FIBA Team? If so, that's quite a trick for a guy who's 'bad at basketball'.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like the signing but my reason is because he's 5'9", not because he is 'bad at basketball'.

SMH
    He was famously massively injured after his last season in Boston and never came back the same.

From his Wikipedia:

After the Celtics lost the first two games of the Conference Finals to the Cleveland Cavaliers, Thomas was ruled out for the remainder of the postseason with a hip injury.

On August 22, 2017, Thomas was traded, along with Jae Crowder, Ante Žižić, and the Brooklyn Nets' unprotected 2018 first-round draft pick, to the Cleveland Cavaliers in exchange for Kyrie Irving. However, during the post-trade physical examination by Cleveland staff, concerns were raised about the health of Thomas' previously injured hip. As a result, eight days after the deal was announced, the Celtics agreed to send the Cavaliers a 2020 second-round draft pick via the Miami Heat to complete the trade. It was later reported that Thomas had been playing with a number of secondary issues in his hip, such as a loss of cartilage and some arthritis, for several seasons.
    He was always a flawed player, in part due to his height, but there's no denying that for a little while he was able to overcome that and be very very effective, particularly for the Celtics. But when you're 5'9, you have very very limited leeway and you can't afford to drop off offensively. IT did, and he's not been good since 2017.

For reference, he hasn't posted a positive BPM since 2016-17, hasn't been league average in TS% since 2016-17, hasn't had a positive VORP since 2016-17, hasn't had a PER over 12 since 2016-17, has accumulated a total of -0.1 Win Shares since 2016-17, and has had a cumulative -8.1 on/off since 2016-17.

While I'm still sure he could smoke most of the planet 1v1, when it comes to playing NBA level basketball he is bad now.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 04-03-2021 at 09:52 AM.

He was famously massively injured after his last season in Boston and never came back the same.

From his Wikipedia:

He was always a flawed player, in part due to his height, but there's no denying that for a little while he was able to overcome that and be very very effective, particularly for the Celtics. But when you're 5'9, you have very very limited leeway and you can't afford to drop off offensively. IT did, and he's not been good since 2017.

For reference, he hasn't posted a positive BPM since 2016-17, hasn't been league average in TS% since 2016-17, hasn't had a positive VORP since 2016-17, hasn't had a PER over 12 since 2016-17, has accumulated a total of -0.1 Win Shares since 2016-17, and has had a cumulative -8.1 on/off since 2016-17.

While I'm still sure he could smoke most of the planet 1v1, when it comes to playing NBA level basketball he is bad now.
    Your words; not mine:

That's a pretty broad stroke of your brush, bruh.

Oh well, I guess I'll never get used to your blanket statements with no context. LOL

Isaiah Thomas hasn’t been the same player he was in Boston, but “bad at basketball” is a huge stretch.

Kwame Brown or Anthony Bennett is what comes to mind with “bad at basketball”.
    Thomas is still a good player post-All Star days.
    Last edited by SonOfNOLA; 04-06-2021 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfNOLA View Post
    Isaiah Thomas hasn’t been the same player he was in Boston, but “bad at basketball” is a huge stretch.

I know...silly, huh?

I guess it's just dae being dae, that's all!!

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfNOLA View Post

I should have said ''bad at basketball for an NBA player'' because of course everyone in the NBA is good at basketball relative to like, you or me or anyone in your local gym.

There is a firm argument to be made that post-2017 Isaiah Thomas has been one of the worst players in the NBA flat out.

Just for reference, the last season he played in (2019-20) he posted a -4.3 BPM and a -.5 VORP

This season, a -4.3BPM would be the 6th worst BPM in the NBA, and a -.5 VORP would be the 16th worst in the NBA.

The last season he played in, he posted a RAPTOR of -6.5

This season, a -6.5 RAPTOR would be the 4th worst in the NBA.

When you're a 5'9 PG whose entire ability to create value comes from your ability to score, and you suddenly become a guy who has (since 2017) a 51%TS, and you lose your ability to get to the FT line (.247 FTr since 2017, down from a career average of .393 before then), you are suddenly a bad NBA player.

For guys in general, but short guys in particular, the margins for success in the NBA are extraordinarily thin. When you get a devastating series of injuries like IT has had, and it saps most of your explosion and your speed and your ability to take contact and get low, that thin margin snaps and you're not good any longer. Being 5'9 in the NBA is a dangerous game in general, and congrats to him for making it as long as he did because most guys at 5'9 never make it in the NBA regardless of how good they may be, but he has been definitely very bad compared to other NBA players for years now.

A little surprised we did not use the 10 day on a younger guy who maybe played well in G League or something.

Thread Information