Pelicans Report

Thread: Jaxson Hayes should be Starting Over Adams

Jaxson Hayes should be Starting Over Adams

Hayes can do everything and more than what Adams does at this point.Adams is very slow right now

I can't believe we gave Adams that extension. Who would've paid him 2 year $35M this summer? No one. We literally could've waited. He can't even shoot why did we extend him. Trading Jrue for Bledsoe and Adams is already a trash deal. To compound it with that extension. Lord.

Edit: He also traded Kenrich Williams in that deal who is on a 3 year $6M deal with 2 team options. No way is Thornwell, Marshall and Gabriel combined are better than Kenny Hustle
    Last edited by HoustonPelicans; 04-01-2021 at 10:12 PM.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Adams is terrible. All he does is either foul or clog up the paint.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Finally!
    LOL

THANK YOU. I actually logged on to say this:

Let me address an elephant in the room. Stephen Adams was a terrible signing.
    He doesn?t rebound as well as Hart
    Can?t sink an open 8 footer!!!!!
    And doesn?t protect the rim.

What an adhorrible compliment to Zion.

He?s a good rebounder but nowhere near elite.

It kills us when he gets the ball 10 feet out and doesn?t look to shoot, nor take it in to dunk cause the defense clamps down on everyone else

Sure teams employ bigs who can?t shoot, But that usually because there sensational ran protectors and rebounders
    Last edited by fullcourtpress; 04-01-2021 at 11:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    THANK YOU. I actually logged on to say this:

Let me address an elephant in the room. Stephen Adams was a terrible signing.
    He doesn’t rebound as well as Hart
    Can’t sink an open 8 footer!!!!!
    And doesn’t protect the rim.

What an adhorrible compliment to Zion.

He’s a good rebounder but nowhere near elite.

It kills us when he gets the ball 10 feet out and doesn’t look to shoot nor take it in to dunk cause the defense clamps down on everyone

Sure teams employ bigs who can’t shoot? But that usually because there’s sensational ran protectors and rebounders
    I launched that ship when we signed him; welcome aboard!!! Adams is a good player (not great by any means) who is a poor fit on this team next to Zion. And, the extension is absurd.

He did a nice pass to to NAW at the start

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    He doesn't rebound as well as Hart? Part of the reason Hart rebounds as well as he does is because he's clearing space for Hart to grab said rebounds.

He does a lot of things that you don't have stats for.

But...we really didn't need to extend him too.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Also Hart literally boxes out his own teammates to get rebounds to pad his stats. I like him but it’s pathetic. Anyway, separate topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    He doesn't rebound as well as Hart? Part of the reason Hart rebounds as well as he does is because he's clearing space for Hart to grab said rebounds.

He does a lot of things that you don't have stats for.
    This is something that a lot of people don't seem to register.

Individual rebounds mean very very very little on a team level. What matters is how a team rebounds when a player is on the floor. The fact is that while Adams himself has never been a 12, 13 rebound a night type guy, his teams have been consistently far better on the glass when he's on the court than when he's off, and the reason for this is that he creates the space, he boxes out, he holds guys out, does all the little things and the dirty work that will never make highlight playlists or the NBA media to go wild, and allows the other players to get tons of uncontested boards.

As you, and donato, point out: a huge part of the reason that Hart gets so many rebounds is that other guys make them possible for him and he dives in late and ''steals'' boards off guys who are in better position.

Now, I don't really care most of the time, it doesn't hurt the team in most instances and it's good to see someone desperate to get the board, but it does irk me when people point out how well Hart rebounds compared to other players on the team like Zion or Adams. If you actually watch the games you can see three or four different times in a game where someone like Adams or Zion or Ingram will be in solid position to get the board and Hart will two foot leap in front of them to get it. It can be mildly annoying.
    Basketball.

Pick and roll is pretty useless with Adams I seen it working with Hayes pretty good.

I absolutely hated the Adams trade when it happened and it actually is starting to look even worst than I thought. He looks like he is 35 out there. His body is already failing him and he does not fit this team. His hands around the basket on offense have almost been Asik-like lately. He fumbles everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    This is something that a lot of people don't seem to register.

Individual rebounds mean very very very little on a team level. What matters is how a team rebounds when a player is on the floor. The fact is that while Adams himself has never been a 12, 13 rebound a night type guy, his teams have been consistently far better on the glass when he's on the court than when he's off, and the reason for this is that he creates the space, he boxes out, he holds guys out, does all the little things and the dirty work that will never make highlight playlists or the NBA media to go wild, and allows the other players to get tons of uncontested boards.

As you, and donato, point out: a huge part of the reason that Hart gets so many rebounds is that other guys make them possible for him and he dives in late and ''steals'' boards off guys who are in better position.

Now, I don't really care most of the time, it doesn't hurt the team in most instances and it's good to see someone desperate to get the board, but it does irk me when people point out how well Hart rebounds compared to other players on the team like Zion or Adams. If you actually watch the games you can see three or four different times in a game where someone like Adams or Zion or Ingram will be in solid position to get the board and Hart will two foot leap in front of them to get it. It can be mildly annoying.
    Hart did not just become a good rebounder this year. I am sure Adams has helped as rebounding is his strength. However, his defense has not been good and he is almost non-existent on offense. His FT shooting makes him almost unplayable late in leads.

His defense is a whole lot better than Hayes. Hayes got killed on the glass last night as well. Hayes is better offensively yes, but with with defense and all the little things that don?t show up in the stat sheets, he can?t tie Adam?s shoes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Hart did not just become a good rebounder this year. I am sure Adams has helped as rebounding is his strength. However, his defense has not been good and he is almost non-existent on offense. His FT shooting makes him almost unplayable late in leads.
    Hart didn't suddenly become a good rebounder this year but he did become a brilliant rebounder this year.

2017-18: 9.6% Reb
    2018-19: 7.5% Reb
    2019-20: 12% reb
    2020-21: 15.6% Reb

By far his career high, more than double what he put up his last year in LA. Not an insignificant leap at all.

Hart didn't suddenly become a good rebounder this year but he did become a brilliant rebounder this year.

2017-18: 9.6% Reb
    2018-19: 7.5% Reb
    2019-20: 12% reb
    2020-21: 15.6% Reb

By far his career high, more than double what he put up his last year in LA. Not an insignificant leap at all.
    His assist rate is up significantly as well. Is that due to Adams? Why did his rebounding rate jump so significantly his last year in LA to first year in NO? Adams was not here. You cannot just make a blanket statement that since he has improved, it was due to Adams. Maybe the style of play was different or maybe he simply improved as he has gotten more experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Erose View Post
    His defense is a whole lot better than Hayes. Hayes got killed on the glass last night as well. Hayes is better offensively yes, but with with defense and all the little things that don?t show up in the stat sheets, he can?t tie Adam?s shoes.

Sure it is. He has several years of experience. However, is it so much better that he was worth a 1st and 2 2nds along with about $65 million over 3 years?

His assist rate is up significantly as well. Is that due to Adams? Why did his rebounding rate jump so significantly his last year in LA to first year in NO? Adams was not here. You cannot just make a blanket statement that since he has improved, it was due to Adams. Maybe the style of play was different or maybe he simply improved as he has gotten more experience.
    Nobody is saying "Hart sucks and hasn't made any improvements at all". You're taking the point that was being made as something far more than it is.

He has improved *and* he rebound hunts hard in a system that allows him to do so. Both of these things can be true at the same time.

I didn’t really mean Hart is the better rebounder, ‘‘twas kinda hyperbole to illustrate that Adams isn’t even elite at that.

He obviously does a lot of ‘little things’ which I appreciate having coached hoops for over 20 years; most notably he is a fine example of how to conduct oneself around our younger players and adds a little grit and toughness to the squad.

I was not excited at all when we signed him, and sadly nothing has changed.

Some players stretch the floor by having the threat of scoring. They KNOW he won’t shoot and it actually shrinks the floor. I can only accept that from someone who is elite at protecting the rim, rebounding ect. From that position

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Erose View Post

this

".......it does irk me when people point out how well Hart rebounds compared to other players on the team like Zion or Adams."
    I know, for some, the truth is merely a roadblock to their "reality".

Sure it is. He has several years of experience. However, is it so much better that he was worth a 1st and 2 2nds along with about $65 million over 3 years?
    That still remains to be seen in my opinion. Adams is a team defense guy on a team that is still trying to figure out team defense.

Adams is a fantastic addition to the Pels. Even if unappreciated by some.
    He's the only starter on this team who has consistently played team defence with a high level of effort and consistency all year. SVG said as much a number of times, so he's setting a good example and he's been a pillar for the others to build around and that is slowly starting to happen.
    Hayes was pretty much unplayable at the start of the year, but he has improved a lot this year as has Billy and I give some credit to Adams and SVG.
    Hayes and Adams are both x factor players, with complimentary strengths.
    Adams is often underrated because he does a lot of the important stuff that doesn't show on the highlight reel or the stat sheet.
    Hayes doesn't have the all round game yet to start in Adams place right now IMO.
    Just another Kiwi basking in the reflected glory of Steven Adams....bask bask...

Thread Information