Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: JJ Reddick blast Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    Maybe because he was an expiring, doesn't fit the timeline age-wise, and the chance of resigning him was very slim. Missteps aside, the trade was still a very good one from the Pelicans point of view. If we wouldn't have gotten Bled-saddy we probably would've won more games and wouldn't have gotten the stud we're about to draft
    Lol the trade sucked. We lost terribly in that trade. And the 2 picks we picked up, will probably have to be used to trade the 2 horrible players we got back in the deal. Would've been better off letting him expire.

Even if he was expiring, if he decided to opt out. This notion that you just have to trade a player on the last year of his deal because you're not sure if they'd resign just doesn't make sense to me. Its okay to let players play out their deal. Everything doesn't have to be about getting something back.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    These things don't occur in a vacuum.

When Jrue snubbed the Pels' generous contract extension going into his last year of his contract, the writing was on the wall. That's when Holiday requested a trade.
    When did Jrue decline an extension? Proof?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    Lol the trade sucked. We lost terribly in that trade. And the 2 picks we picked up, will probably have to be used to trade the 2 horrible players we got back in the deal. Would've been better off letting him expire.

Even if he was expiring, if he decided to opt out. This notion that you just have to trade a player on the last year of his deal because you're not sure if they'd resign just doesn't make sense to me. Its okay to let players play out their deal. Everything doesn't have to be about getting something back.
    Thank God you are not the GM of Pelicans

You are overstating these contracts. Are they deals that I would want them to sign if we had the choice today? No. Are they so bad that we need to move assets to get off of them? Possibly for Bledsoe, though 2 years is not the end of the world. No way do we need to do it for Adams.

Educate yourself

https://www.thebirdwrites.com/2020/4...ball-josh-hart

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    You are overstating these contracts. Are they deals that I would want them to sign if we had the choice today? No. Are they so bad that we need to move assets to get off of them? Possibly for Bledsoe, though 2 years is not the end of the world. No way do we need to do it for Adams.
    No one will take Adams at 2 years 35 million. Playing the way he is.

Either way the conversation is about creating bad faith with players and I believe Griffin is doing that. It will hurt us in the long run. Business is more than just getting value, its about relationships. Players are not cattle, relationships matter.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    That article was written on April 2nd, 2020. Says nothing about Jrue declining an extension. You're grasping for straws.

That's a speculative article. No where in there does it mention that the Pelicans offered him an extension.

No one will take Adams at 2 years 35 million. Playing the way he is.

Either way the conversation is about creating bad faith with players and I believe Griffin is doing that. It will hurt us in the long run. Business is more than just getting value, its about relationships. Players are not cattle, relationships matter.
    On this, I agree with you. I hate the idea that Griffin is throwing away goodwill for a late 2nd round pick. It doesn't make any sense. What we don't know is if JJ's side of the story is completely accurate.

That's a speculative article. No where in there does it mention that the Pelicans offered him an extension.
    Agree. Exactly what I wanted to point out. We discussed it last year Don’t know why it is news to Houston all of a sudden.

Agree. Exactly what I wanted to point out
    ?? You posted this in response to "When did Jrue decline an extension? Proof?" with a note of "Educate yourself." Not sure what your goal was there, but it clearly missed the mark.
    Last edited by DarkHornet; 04-02-2021 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Grammar fail

On this, I agree with you. I hate the idea that Griffin is throwing away goodwill for a late 2nd round pick. It doesn't make any sense. What we don't know is if JJ's side of the story is completely accurate.
    True we don't know if JJs side of the story is completely accurate. Just worries me if Griffin is throwing away goodwill. I know myself as a corporate worker, when I'm deciding on a company to work for I read employee reviews on Glassdoor and Indeed, or ask a friend who's worked there about the culture. If I see too often they mistreat employees or its not a good culture, I wouldn't work for the company unless they paid an overwhelming salary. Same with any talented worker that has options with their employment. I get its a business, but relationships still matter, doing the right thing goes a long way.

?? You posted this in response to "When did Jrue decline an extension? Proof?" with a note of "Educate yourself." Not sure what you're goal was there, but it clearly missed the mark.
    Whatever. It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    we will be aright....nothing to see here..
    I agree.

Do you have proof he did not decline an extension? Do you have proof he did not request a trade? You can play the game all day, but we all know that no one here was in the room with Jrue and Griffin and therefore would not have "proof."

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Do you have proof he did not decline an extension? Do you have proof he did not request a trade? You can play the game all day, but we all know that no one here was in the room with Jrue and Griffin and therefore would not have "proof."
    Agreed but I wasn't the one speaking definitively

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    It annoyed me to hear JJ trash the front office for this. When he signed with the Pelicans I presume he took the best offer he could get. He acted in his own interest, as he should, didn’t take less than he could get in order to do the Pelicans franchise a favor. Now he expects the Pelicans to take less than they can get in order to do him a favor, that?s bull********. Thinks he deserves special treatment for being a 15 year vet. He didn’t play for this organization for 15 years. So the Pelicans are supposed to go against their own interest because he played for other organizations for years? Really? Maybe if he didn’t underperform so much this year there would have been more of a demand for his services and he could have been traded to a team he liked better.

It’s insinuated that JJ was leaking the buyout information to other teams as well. He is still in the wrong either way, but it just furthers the point that people (and organizations for that matter) are concerned with their own self-interest (as they should be).

I wish we had traded Griff before we traded Jrue.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I wish we had traded Griff before we traded Jrue.
    You would have been OK with paying Jrue $40 million a year?

That trade looks very good right now. We got a useful vet and a second round pick for two guys that play no D and we’re not really the shooters they were supposed to be.

Thread Information