Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: JJ Reddick blast Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    He's basically been getting paid for weeks to be home with his family. Calculates to about $2 million. How unfair of the organization.
    Yeah I agree. I want my 20 minutes back too. His podcast is terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    To me this goes back to Griffin constantly saying he is building a "family" with the Pelicans. It isn't a family and Griff should stop saying that it is. It's the kind of rhetoric that creates expectations--say an expectation that you are going to accommodate a player's buy out request so he can be close to his real family.

I'm sure the Pels tried to trade Redick to his preferred destinations. I'm equally sure they thought "why give up assets" because "family-man" Griffin is going to give Redick a buy out. Maybe Redick's agent even implied that would happen, thus squashing what trade value he had.
    Also, apologies to Redick but if you wanted his pick of trade destinations, you have to be desirable to trade for.

And this year he has put up

- Career low FG%
    - Career low 3pt%
    - Career low BPM
    - Career low VORP
    - Lowest points per 100 since 2010
    - Highest TOV% since 2012 despite posting his lowest AST% since 2016
    - Lowest PER since 2008
    - Worst on/off since 2007
    + Injury issues

I'm sorry Redick but if you think you're getting any good team to give up assets for that, you're living in fantasy land
    Basketball.

Well this went well for him

Hey I had Birria tacos today for the first time.

Those comments...roasted.

If Griff is this deep into his career in management and he's making promises to players (especially those with a social media platform that is independently successful) that he knows he likely won't be able to honor then I'm deeply concerned about his ability to run the team.

I'm just not sure it went down exactly as JJ said. I'm sure that's how he felt it happened and it's crazy personal for him, but if JJ had actually maybe made some concessions to accommodate the Pels on a buyout perhaps he's in Brooklyn right now as a free agent? But he didn't mention he offered us anything in return for his freedom, who in business does that?
    "..but there's Baron dribbling the ball for 20 seconds, hoisting bad 3s and single-handedly killing them in close games. It's like somebody shrunk Antoine Walker and gave him his own team."
    - Bill Simmons (2006)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
    - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I’m sure all manner of person to person conversations get held by players where GMs, or whatever Griffin is, say different things. He’s just salty he didn’t get his way. Boo hoo.

I’m sure he’s endeared himself to his Mavs teammates and fans already by doing this.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Let me get this straight.

36 year old, slow, injured, can't shoot, rebound, play defense or pass whatsoever, 8 points per game player has a sandy vagina?

What a self righteous ************. We are much better without your worthless ******. Wahhhhhh. Why didn't they pay me my full salary to do nothing.

Basketball Guru
    we will be aright....nothing to see here..

If JJ was lied to that's not good, I don't like the whining though from such pampered people as NBA players.its a pretty big middle finger to his new team too.
    Last edited by KoMikaera; 03-31-2021 at 08:15 PM.
    Just another Kiwi basking in the reflected glory of Steven Adams....bask bask...

But it is something. Whether you agree with J.J.'s position or not, he's a respected veteran with a lot of cache around the league, including on the Pels. You absolutely don't want him bad mouthing our front office, flat out saying Griffin lied to him. Don't kid yourself. That effects the organization's reputation among players, among agents, among fans and commentators. I don't think the Pels can just let this sit and marinate. They have to push back.

I wouldn't be surprised if the truth is somewhere in between. Griffin thought he was telling Redick they'd try to get him to his preferred destinations--and they did try, but the well was dry in part because all those teams expected Redick to get bought out. In trying to get J.J. a deal and working with his agent, I'd wager Griffin thought he did honor his word to Redick.

Redick sounds like he thought had a black-and-white deal with Griffin: I'll be traded to one of my preferred teams or I'll get bought out. Period. That would be an unusual guarantee to give a player, but J.J. did have seniority and a good relationship with the front office (plus the Duke connection with Trajan). Griffin got real assets in the Redick deal and that's generally job and responsibility to the club.

Still, on balance, I think would have given J.J. the buyout or at least talked to him before the deal got announced. The reputation hit is real. And I wouldn't brush it off.

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    But it is something. Whether you agree with J.J.'s position or not, he's a respected veteran with a lot of cache around the league, including on the Pels. You absolutely don't want him bad mouthing our front office, flat out saying Griffin lied to him. Don't kid yourself. That effects the organization's reputation among players, among agents, among fans and commentators. I don't think the Pels can just let this sit and marinate. They have to push back.

I wouldn't be surprised if the truth is somewhere in between. Griffin thought he was telling Redick they'd try to get him to his preferred destinations--and they did try, but the well was dry in part because all those teams expected Redick to get bought out. In trying to get J.J. a deal and working with his agent, I'd wager Griffin thought he did honor his word to Redick.

Redick sounds like he thought had a black-and-white deal with Griffin: I'll be traded to one of my preferred teams or I'll get bought out. Period. That would be an unusual guarantee to give a player, but J.J. did have seniority and a good relationship with the front office (plus the Duke connection with Trajan). Griffin got real assets in the Redick deal and that's generally job and responsibility to the club.

Still, on balance, I think would have given J.J. the buyout or at least talked to him before the deal got announced. The reputation hit is real. And I wouldn't brush it off.
    Would be interesting if JJ and his agent tried to force Griff's hand on a buyout. Because who leaked that to the media in the first place? I know it wasn't Griffin. And what if JJ was dogging it to start the season to tank his value and make himself untradeable to force a buyout? If JJ and his agent tried to play hardball with Griff. Then Griff made the right move because he did get some good value in the trade. The more I think of it, why would Griffin tell JJ if he wasn't traded by Feb. 2nd then he will be bought out when the trade deadline was well over a month later? And why wait that long to buyout a player? Doesn't make sense. I agree, Griff should push back with the truth. Not sure if he should come out and speak or just leak it to a few of us his media buddies though

He also took shots at SVG

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    we will be aright....nothing to see here..
    This is where I'm at. It seems over at RealGM the vast majority are also siding with Griff. I only mention that because most posters over there are far from shy when it comes to attacking small market teams for almost no reason.

JJ cried when he was traded to the Bucks in 2013?? Hmm sensing a trend here of an entitled player

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...d-to-the-bucks

That article and those quotes weren’t anywhere near as bad as what was said in his podcast. He was paid $26 million to play half a season of decent basketball then fetch a 2nd round pick. He needs to stfu.

Yeah JJ going down in flames

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    He also took shots at SVG
    Here is his response

Griff just can?t lay low. It just seems like no ones face is on the cover than the flying off the shelf Front Office of NBA tabloid gossip magazine on newsstands nation wide.

I’ll be honest, with the way Griffin has handled adversity so far with us, I wouldn’t trust him as far as I could throw him. That doesn’t mean JJ is in the right as he is paid millions of dollars and he should honor that contract rather than be a baby to the media. It’s a business. You know that buddy

And as others have said plenty of times before, NBA players tend to be the most entitled athletes in the planet. JJ?s comments are quite frankly all too common and nothing new.

You can't guarantee a buyout. If JJ was willing to give more than a 2nd round pick's worth of money back through his agent he would be a FA right now. It's really that simple.

LMA gave back a ton of money and is now a Net.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    You can't guarantee a buyout. If JJ was willing to give more than a 2nd round pick's worth of money back through his agent he would be a FA right now. It's really that simple.

Bingo

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post

Exactly. If he didn’t agree to take less money how can he complain now? Especially that his play was really, I mean really horrible

It's as simple as this:

If Griff said "We will try to get you out East, and if we can't, we will talk about a buyout" then JJ is wrong for complaining and Griff did nothing wrong

If Griff said "We will get you closer to home and if we can't work out a deal with one of those teams, we will buy you out so you can go wherever you want" then Griff is in the wrong, and JJ does have a reason to be mad.

It's really that simple and people are making it more complex by bringing up his play and how much money he makes and this, that and the other. Only one thing matters: Did Griff say he will do x or try his best to do x, and none of us were in that room, so we dont know. But dont make this more complex than it is
    @mcnamara247

I really don't care who said what. If I'm in JJ's position, then I know what the true deal is, and I play my arse off to make sure I give myself the best chance to reach my destination.

If I don't, then I know most likely my leverage is dead despite any verbal promises made.

Going on someone's word is something an immature adult does. Any mature adult that's had to deal with people enough knows better.

Doesn't make me look negatively at Griffin either way.

Thread Information