Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: JJ Reddick blast Griffin

Hall of Famer

Pelicans JJ Reddick blast Griffin

From his Podcast

@_Andrew_Lopez
    Redick: "Obviously, he did not honor his word."

- Says his understanding once after he wasn't traded at aggregate deadline was that he was going to get a buyout or traded to a team in the Northeast

Andrew Lopez
    @_Andrew_Lopez

- Says he was "jarred" by the trade; says Mavs weren't one of the teams that had been discussed

https://lonzowire.usatoday.com/2021/...n-dallas-mavs/

JJ Redick sounds off on Pelicans front office, says they can't be trusted
    Last edited by Speakthetruth; 03-31-2021 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Speakthetruth View Post
    From his Podcast

@_Andrew_Lopez
    Redick: "Obviously, he did not honor his word."

- Says his understanding once after he wasn't traded at aggregate deadline was that he was going to get a buyout or traded to a team in the Northeast

Andrew Lopez
    @_Andrew_Lopez

- Says he was "jarred" by the trade; says Mavs weren't one of the teams that had been discussed

https://lonzowire.usatoday.com/2021/...n-dallas-mavs/

JJ Redick sounds off on Pelicans front office, says they can't be trusted
    JJ sounds like a spoiled little kid. If he has a problem with the way things played out, consult the CBA and his union. I think Griff played by the rules; and JJ didn't want to.

So from the sounds of it - and I haven't listened to the whole pod so correct me if I'm wrong - the timeline is something like this.

- Jrue gets traded, and JJ requests a trade
    - Griff convinces him to try it for a month, and if he still doesn't want to stay, Griff says he'll get him somewhere he wants to be
    - JJ comes to NOLA for that trial period and absolutely dogs it, sucks hard, and still wants to go
    - Griff tells him in multiple conversations he will do his best to get JJ where he wants to be (4 times, JJ says)
    - Due to JJ's garbage play, nobody where JJ wants to go is willing to trade for him
    - JJ expects a buyout, but doesn't mention giving money back, so he wants his whole contract paid up front so he can walk to wherever he wants
    - Griff baulks at this and trades him for something rather than buying him out for nothing
    - JJ is infuriated because he didn't get all the money as well as going where he wanted

Is that right?
    Basketball.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    So from the sounds of it - and I haven't listened to the whole pod so correct me if I'm wrong - the timeline is something like this.

- Griff convinces him to try it for a month, and if he still doesn't want to stay, Griff says he'll get him somewhere he wants to be
    - JJ comes to NOLA for that trial period and absolutely dogs it, sucks hard, and still wants to go
    - Griff tells him in multiple conversations he will do his best to get JJ where he wants to be (4 times, JJ says)
    - Due to JJ's garbage play, nobody where JJ wants to go is willing to trade for him
    - JJ expects a buyout, but doesn't mention giving money back, so he wants his whole contract paid up front so he can walk to wherever he wants
    - Griff baulks at this and trades him for something rather than buying him out for nothing
    - JJ is infuriated because he didn't get all the money as well as going where he wanted

Is that right?
    That's how I'm reading it. JJ can ******** off if this is the case.

Is that right?
    I don?t know the whole story but if this is the way that it all went down.... I?m not mad at Griff
    Probably same situation happened with Bledso and nobody wanted to trade for him

The only issue I have is if Griff really told JJ that he would be bought out if not traded by Feb. 2nd. Like MM said on Twitter, he should've just been straight up with him and said he'll try to trade him where he wants but he's going to do what's best for the team. Still have to hear Griff's side to see if its true that he promised him a buyout if not traded by Feb 2nd.

As a small market team. You have to create a competitive advantage. Honesty and clarity is certainly a way to do that. Lying to players is something the Lakers can get away with.

I'm still a fan of Griff, just a bad move if he did indeed lie.

Obviously take this with a grain of salt because it's Griff so of course there's a PR element to it, but this doesn't sound unfair to me.

I can already hear the dumb pundits starting the drum beat to get Zion out of NOLA because of this.

Wonder if Griff underestimated what it means now that JJ has this successful pod. It gives him leverage and power that used to be gatekeeped by NBA media establishment. Maybe should’ve given in because JJ might not be a great enemy to have.
    Last edited by akhan786; 03-31-2021 at 01:17 PM.

Has any former players have a nice thing to say about Griffin?

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    JJ can bugger right off. Maybe if he wasn’t sucking at his one and only skill, we could’ve gotten him to his chosen teams.

I don’t think both sides are squeaky clean, but I’d rather we do what Griffin did than what JJ wanted.

He wanted to eat his cake and still have it. That ain’t how physics work, Dukie Boy.

Quote Originally Posted by akhan786 View Post
    I can already hear the dumb pundits starting the drum beat to get Zion out of NOLA because of this.

Wonder if Griff underestimated what it means now that JJ has this successful pod. It gives him leverage and power that used to be gatekeeped by NBA media establishment. Maybe should’ve given in because JJ might not be a great enemy to have.
    You're late to the party, they've been beating the drum to get Zion out of NOLA since long before this.

You're late to the party, they've been beating the drum to get Zion out of NOLA since long before this.
    They were beating the drum to get him out of NOlA before we even had a chance to draft him.

I see the veteran leadership thing is working out for griff...

Jj is in the wrong for this in all levels... Griff should have traded him after that good performance in the bubble, he probably got greedy and waited to get better deals or no one really offered anything substantial... as this season went on he got worse and griff probably wanted to see if he can get out of that slump to get some value out of him...

Griff is probably a bit in the wrong if they discussed these things and he didn’t honor his word (which is why you shouldn’t promise anyone anything), but I hate when players air their dirty laundry. Just let it go man. This isn’t something that needs to be made public. Just be vague about it and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Griff is probably a bit in the wrong if they discussed these things and he didn’t honor his word (which is why you shouldn’t promise anyone anything), but I hate when players air their dirty laundry. Just let it go man. This isn’t something that needs to be made public. Just be vague about it and move on.
    I mean, it depends on what exactly they discussed.

Obviously if Griff said ''I will either trade you to Brooklyn or I promise I will buy you out'' then yeah, Griff's in the wrong.

If he said ''I will try my best to send you where you want to go'' then no, Griff's fine. You can try all you want but if Brooklyn/NY aren't buying, you can't sell. In that case, if no explicit buyout was promised then of course Griff would send him elsewhere. ''I will try'' is not a guarantee.

The only person that did not see this coming was J.J. Perhaps he should have read this forum.

Pilates class ? I thought he was injured

https://www.nola.com/sports/pelicans...5c84782d7.html

Redick was in a pilates class with his wife when the deal went down.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Kevin Love I think still likes him. Wasn’t Griff. Trying to trade our draft picks for Love last year?

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Kevin Love I think still likes him. Wasn’t Griff. Trying to trade our draft picks for Love last year?
    I never heard that.

Player Empowerment and catering to players has created this culture. It is what it is to be honest. Lonzo just came out saying he wants to be here. So, as long we aren't trying to build a super team this off season. I think this will blow over.

I know that in reality, all manner of NBA players do all manner of exercises but

Why does JJ Redick taking a pilates class make so much sense?

To me this goes back to Griffin constantly saying he is building a "family" with the Pelicans. It isn't a family and Griff should stop saying that it is. It's the kind of rhetoric that creates expectations--say an expectation that you are going to accommodate a player's buy out request so he can be close to his real family.

I'm sure the Pels tried to trade Redick to his preferred destinations. I'm equally sure they thought "why give up assets" because "family-man" Griffin is going to give Redick a buy out. Maybe Redick's agent even implied that would happen, thus squashing what trade value he had.

He's basically been getting paid for weeks to be home with his family. Calculates to about $2 million. How unfair of the organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Who has said bad things?

Thread Information