Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Zion

Zion

Kid is pretty good huh?

Thought there should be an active thread about him. Only a couple of kids like him a decade. No ceiling to him if he thinks big and gives everything to basketball.

https://youtu.be/2f0LWUKnN_U
    Last edited by akhan786; 03-28-2021 at 02:11 PM.

He's so far ahead of AD at this stage offensively it's not even funny. Been saying that since last year.

And it's obviously not all about dunks and layups. He has to get there first.

Now it's all about the defense. That should improve for the entire team next year. There is a strong correlation between young teams/teams with high turnover and 1st year coaches that go with a bad defense.

But he needs to fix his lateral and back pedal foot work. That happens, add some range, and he's the new Lebron.

Does anyone know if he’s got a professional dietician?

Cause I really just think the only thing holding him back as a dominant defender (right now he’s bad) is elite Top 1% conditioning. The kind of precision towards his cardio and diet that guys like Lebron and JJ are famous for. Like he should become a dude whose name becomes synonymous with nutrition and taking care of his body. Get a group of Harvard/MIT scientists to figure out the exact specifications for all of it. If they say go vegan, go vegan. Or whatever.

I really believe if he thinks big and sheds 10-15 pounds, he’d have enough energy to put up 25-30 FGA’s a night while being a monster defensively. He could be this chiseled demigod of basketball haha
    Last edited by akhan786; 03-28-2021 at 02:50 PM.

The expression of joy when he passed to NAW on the 3 to go up 10. May he have so many of those. Especially playing for us.

Quote Originally Posted by akhan786 View Post
    Does anyone know if he’s got a professional dietician?

Cause I really just think the only thing holding him back as a dominant defender (right now he’s bad) is elite Top 1% conditioning. The kind of precision towards his cardio and diet that guys like Lebron and JJ are famous for. Like he should become a dude whose name becomes synonymous with nutrition and taking care of his body. Get a group of Harvard/MIT scientists to figure out the exact specifications for all of it. If they say go vegan, go vegan. Or whatever.

I really believe if he thinks big and sheds 10-15 pounds, he’d have enough energy to put up 25-30 FGA’s a night while being a monster defensively. He could be this chiseled demigod of basketball haha
    He's on an NBA roster, I'm sure he has dietary management, just like his training and workout regime is all run by the team as well.

There are several things he needs to work on defensively, it's not as simple as ''lose some weight and you'll be dominant''. I'm entirely willing to trust the staff to make any and all adjustments necessary on that.
    Basketball.

Man... Wait till Dae's WWF rival post how overrated Zion is... Simply just to spite Dae.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Man... Wait till Dae's WWF rival post how overrated Zion is... Simply just to spite Dae.
    ''He actually sucks. I don't know if you know but he only holds the record for highest PER of any player under the age of 21 of all time by 0.3? PSHHHH, he can barely edge out those scrubs Luka Doncic (2nd), Anthony Davis (3rd), Lebron James (4th) and Shaquille O'Neal (5th)! If he was really good he'd have a PER of 38.9 instead of just 27.9, loser.

Also he's fat and is the worst defender in league history.''

Li'l preview there

He?s basically Shaq, but can run the point. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    ''He actually sucks. I don't know if you know but he only holds the record for highest PER of any player under the age of 21 of all time by 0.3? PSHHHH, he can barely edge out those scrubs Luka Doncic (2nd), Anthony Davis (3rd), Lebron James (4th) and Shaquille O'Neal (5th)! If he was really good he'd have a PER of 38.9 instead of just 27.9, loser.

Also he's fat and is the worst defender in league history.''

Li'l preview there
    Isn't HIS mother hen quick to immunize HIM from legitimate criticisms? HE does have shortcomings as we speak but HIS online mommy always tries to shield HIM from such scrutiny. To say HE is devoid of criticism is akin to saying that HE is a finished product with no room to grow. Regardless of HIS pseudo-mommy's nonsense, I'll say it: HE has a lot of game to develop before anyone can justifiably ordain HIM a basketball god...defensively (sorry, there is no DH in basketball) and, yes, offensively too.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Isn't HIS mother hen quick to immunize HIM from legitimate criticisms? HE does have shortcomings as we speak but HIS online mommy always tries to shield HIM from such scrutiny. To say HE is devoid of criticism is akin to saying that HE is a finished product with no room to grow. Regardless of HIS pseudo-mommy's nonsense, I'll say it: HE has a lot of game to develop before anyone can justifiably ordain HIM a basketball god...defensively (sorry, there is no DH in basketball) and, yes, offensively too.
    I see the Q Cult has infiltrated the boards.

He's been exceptional so far. Was impressed with how quickly he was able to improve his free throw percentage though it never should have been so porous to begin with. I am surprised his rebounding numbers have been so low, but I think that will improve over time along with his defense. He's certainly seemed more willing and active as a defender as the year has progressed. His conditioning may well always be an issue, but if he was able to experiment with his diet the way an aging CP3 among others has you could see him reach all new levels.

There are diets that greatly reduce the inflammation of your joints and as time goes on I wouldn't be shocked to see him go that route to help preserve his body and extend his career. Keeping his explosiveness is essential though. He has gotten better too I think with his handle. Running point early on he lost the handle or got the ball deflected quite a bit and that has reduced some.

If Stan can figure out how to get Z and BI to accentuate each other's game to close out contests we'll take that next leap as a team.
    "..but there's Baron dribbling the ball for 20 seconds, hoisting bad 3s and single-handedly killing them in close games. It's like somebody shrunk Antoine Walker and gave him his own team."
    - Bill Simmons (2006)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
    - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Hall of Famer
    https://www.pelicansreport.com/showt...in-New-Orleans made one about him other day

Its on the front office to make this time better than with davis

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    He's been exceptional so far. Was impressed with how quickly he was able to improve his free throw percentage though it never should have been so porous to begin with. I am surprised his rebounding numbers have been so low, but I think that will improve over time along with his defense. He's certainly seemed more willing and active as a defender as the year has progressed. His conditioning may well always be an issue, but if he was able to experiment with his diet the way an aging CP3 among others has you could see him reach all new levels.

There are diets that greatly reduce the inflammation of your joints and as time goes on I wouldn't be shocked to see him go that route to help preserve his body and extend his career. Keeping his explosiveness is essential though. He has gotten better too I think with his handle. Running point early on he lost the handle or got the ball deflected quite a bit and that has reduced some.

If Stan can figure out how to get Z and BI to accentuate each other's game to close out contests we'll take that next leap as a team.
    Chris Paul would be a lot of fun to see with Zion. I feel like he would settle Zion and BI in the clutch too.

Chris Paul would be a lot of fun to see with Zion. I feel like he would settle Zion and BI in the clutch too.
    Eh, Zion's been fine in the clutch.

Zion in clutch time this season: 71.7% TS, 65 points in 63 clutch minutes, 21/33 from the floor (63.6%), 23/28 from the line (82.1%). 8 assists with only 1 turnover, and he's a +28 across that span.

He's plenty settled, the issue for Zion isn't ''can he do it once he has the ball?'' it's ''can he get the ball?''.

Luckily, he is getting it more and more in the clutch recently.

His usage rate in the clutch prior to February 1st was 16.1%, truly absurd - that's the sort of rate you'd expect from someone like Josh Hart in those circumstances. Since then, however, it's gone up to a much more sensible 29.2%, and in the month of March it's increased even further to 33.3%.

Clutch time Zion is really good and we're starting to realise it.

Zion in clutch time this season: 71.7% TS, 65 points in 63 clutch minutes, 21/33 from the floor (63.6%), 23/28 from the line (82.1%). 8 assists with only 1 turnover, and he's a +28 across that span.

He's plenty settled, the issue for Zion isn't ''can he do it once he has the ball?'' it's ''can he get the ball?''.

His usage rate in the clutch prior to February 1st was 16.1%, truly absurd - that's the sort of rate you'd expect from someone like Josh Hart in those circumstances. Since then, however, it's gone up to a much more sensible 29.2%, and in the month of March it's increased even further to 33.3%.

Got to be on the floor to get the rock. Recently, he's seen more time on the floor in crunch time. SMH

Remember someone comparing Zion to a mix between Shaq and D. Rose and I think that’s the perfect comp.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Remember someone comparing Zion to a mix between Shaq and D. Rose and I think that’s the perfect comp.
    His layups and touch around the basket are very similar to Rose. They also both like the two hand cockback dunk lol

Can we give him 20 years yet?

His layups and touch around the basket are very similar to Rose. They also both like the two hand cockback dunk lol
    Haha very true

Great post, just points out how much of a moron SVG can be

https://www.basketballnews.com/stori...basketball-nba

Great article here by Nekias Duncan on how hilariously dominant Zion has been as an offensive player this year. The full article has gifs and video to demonstrate specific points and plays, but here's a few general sections of it. These are from the ''on-ball'' section of the article.

Against ball-handlers without reputable pull-up jumpers, the general rule is to either duck under screens against them, or switch the action. It’s an invitation of sorts, with defenses yelling, “You can have this pull-up jumper if you’d like!”

Against upper-echelon talents -- think Westbrook or Giannis again -- it’s a security blanket against rim attacks. The pick-ducking becomes more exaggerated, as does the help defense. The Milwaukee Bucks have altered their offensive framework, from 5-out to 4-out, 1-in, in part to eliminate the “wall” that has been built against Giannis in each of the past two postseasons.

What happens when defenses are faced with the speed and dexterity of a Westbrook, as well as the power of Giannis… at the same time? This is the Zion Problem that nobody has solved yet.

Teams have attempted your basic conservative methods. They duck under picks, but it hasn’t worked. Per Synergy, Zion has converted 75% of his shots when attacking against “under” coverage. Switching has been a more frequent counter, especially when Zion has run 4-5 pick-and-rolls, but he’s roasting traditional 5s.

In higher ball-screens, he chews up space at a rate that leaves big men in their tracks. Even in lower ones, Zion has a level of short-area burst and ball-handling that a guy like Giannis simply doesn’t.
    Zion’s recent game against the Mavericks was a fun one -- unless you’re a Mavericks fan, of course. They tried just about everything. They went under. They switched. They even attempted to trap, all to no avail.

That’s the other part that makes Zion impossible: you can’t completely sell out to stop him. He’s a good passer, particularly on the move. Despite leading the NBA in rim attempts by a wide margin, he’s only been called for 18 charge violations and has committed 26 “bad pass” turnovers, per PBP Stats. By comparison, Giannis has racked up 22 and 39 respectively.

Zion is one of three players averaging at least 25 points while shooting 55% or better from the field (along with Nikola Jokic and Giannis). He’s the only one converting at least 60% of his shots. Over his past 10 games, Zion is averaging 29 points while shooting 65.7% from the field (69.9 TS%).

Those numbers aren’t empty, either. As the Pelicans have shifted more on-ball usage to Zion, they’ve won four of their past five games behind an offensive rating that tops 122 with him on the floor.

Teams don’t have a safe coverage to play against Zion at this point, and that’s with him sharing the majority of his minutes with a center (Adams, Jaxson Hayes) and a guard (Eric Bledsoe) that teams don’t treat as a shooting threat. What happens when he’s consistently attacking with a spread floor?

Points and pain.

Zion has a sprained thumb, he's not likely to miss much time - if any at all - no worries

Was about to buy tickets for tomorrow.... Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Was about to buy tickets for tomorrow.... Damn.
    Players play through thumb/finger issues all the time. I'd be mildly surprised if he missed any time, honestly. Not shocked, of course, I would understand the caution but a little surprised.

He's questionable for Thursday. Really hope he plays. Just glad it's an issue with his hand, so the media can't run headlines questioning his weight or conditioning and how they're scared for his ankles or knees.

Thread Information