Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: March 26th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Denver Nuggets - 19-24

Pelicans March 26th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Denver Nuggets - 19-24

Our first game in a few days, and our first game post-deadline; not that the deadline changes anything for us, given what our move was.

We're taking on the Denver Nuggets, who did make a pretty sizeable change in shipping out Gary Harris and some ballast to bring back Aaron Gordon, while also acquiring Javale McGee to bring off the bench.

As a result of this, it's probably not too fair to take too much of the Nuggets' existing statistics to heart for this game: they've lost some guard production but replaced it with an athletic forward, their starting lineup has just changed, and their already-defensively-good bench has just been given an upgrade (arguably).

That said, the Nuggets are currently 26-18, 5th in the West and in a good position to potentially take a top 4 seed depending on what happens with LA. Jokic is, in my view, the current MVP favourite; he's averaging 27/11/9 on 57/42/87 splits.

Jokic leads the league in:
    - PER
    - WS
    - WS/48
    - BPM
    - VORP
    - EPM
    - Estimated Wins Added
    - RAPTOR (and RAPTOR Wins Above Replacement)

It's just a truly ridiculous season, and contrary to popular belief, his defense isn't terrible this year either. It's not great but he grades out as a clear and comfortable plus on the defensive end in DBPM, DRAPTOR, D-EPM, and so on.

This game will be a hard one, but it should hopefully be a fun one as well. I look forward to watching it, and we'll see what happens beyond that!
    Basketball.

I'm assuming that Aaron Gordon is probably not going to play today?

And I gather that since Ball wasn't able to practice yesterday he's probably a no go too?

Zion Williamson, number one most efficient high volume offensive player in the NBA.

Nuggets will be short-handed. No Gordon, no McGee, and even Monte Morris is out. Now is the time to take advantage.

Is Ball playing tonight?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

Zion Williamson, number one most efficient high volume offensive player in the NBA.
    So let's dump BI.

SVG pregame:

FTs against the Nuggets based on last game

''We get to the line quite a bit because we attack the basket, y'know, not fouling is important to us, we did a good job in that game, but that'll always be important. The rebounding was the other major factor, we need to do that too; this is a very very good offensive team and they're tough to stop so you've got to do a lot of other things well.''

Being past the deadline

''I was never worried about it but I'm not one of the guys whose names was coming up. FOr players, it's huge to know where you're going to be for the last 7.5 weeks here and not have to read your name in the paper and all the predictions and stuff, I think it's great for everybody now to just settle into the last 52, 53 days and play basketball.''

Calls vs Play errors on D

''To me, what's important is if we're fouling how are we fouling. Sometimes you're playing good solid defense and you may get called for a bump and okay I can live with that. But sometimes we have undisciplined fouls, leaving our feet on shot fakes or swiping down, things like that, that's what we want to eliminate.''

Defense - Communication

''We're a little bit better but you're never where you want to be. Tonight is a huge one because they are a great screening team on top of everything else, set a lot of screens on the ball in pick and rolls but also backscreens, pindowns, so we've got to alert each other and do a lot with our body positioning and physicality to get through screens.''

Facundo Campazzo -

''I enjoyed watching him in international play, he's an exciting guy to watch, really creative passer and pretty good shooter. Btu he's not a developing guy, he's got a wealth of international experience so he comes in yes, as a rookie, but not really; he's a veteran guy who's just learning this league. He's been a huge help for them, particularly with Monte Morris out.''

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    Is Ball playing tonight?
    We are playing ball, but I'm not sure if we are playing Ball

Zion with a 3 to open

Nickeil has been lockdown to start. And what a probe and pass to Zion

Zion is 8/21 from 3 this year: that's 38.1%.
    That's after going 6/14 last year, for 42.9%

The small-sample size of Zion being a good 3pt shooter continues

Sniper Zion

Zion block

NAW looking real comfy out there right now

Zion is 8/21 from 3 this year: that's 38.1%.
    That's after going 6/14 last year, for 42.9%

The small-sample size of Zion being a good 3pt shooter continues

Sniper Zion
    I’m convinced it will reach the point where teams have to pick their poison. Guard Peja Zionovich or Zion Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    I’m convinced it will reach the point where teams have to pick their poison. Guard Peja Zionovich or Zion Williamson
    I said before he was drafted that I thought he had the potential to become a solid 3pt shooter: not a high volume sniper or anything, but good enough that you can't just hang back on him and assume he's a none-threat. 35% or so on maybe 2 a game.

So far, nothing he has done has made me change my mind on that. Improved as a FT shooter, and has been effective at 3s when he takes them. I still think reasonable auxiliary shooting is a possibility for him. It won't ever be his primary weapon but it will be an option.

Ingram starting to warm up now.

I said before he was drafted that I thought he had the potential to become a solid 3pt shooter: not a high volume sniper or anything, but good enough that you can't just hang back on him and assume he's a none-threat. 35% or so on maybe 2 a game.

So far, nothing he has done has made me change my mind on that. Improved as a FT shooter, and has been effective at 3s when he takes them. I still think reasonable auxiliary shooting is a possibility for him. It won't ever be his primary weapon but it will be an option.
    It looks clean enough to where I wouldn’t feel comfortable leaving him wide open like they do. But with Zion, you live with it or get BURNED

It looks clean enough to where I wouldn’t feel comfortable leaving him wide open like they do. But with Zion, you live with it or get BURNED
    Fun fact: in 66 games, Zion has taken 35 threes.

In 254 games, Ben Simmons has taken 33 threes.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Nickeil has been lockdown to start. And what a probe and pass to Zion
    He is getting his hands on a lot of balls.

Quote Originally Posted by smcgull View Post
    He is getting his hands on a lot of balls.
    Deflection King

Nine assists from starting guards in first quarter. NAW (4); Bledsoe (5)

Stuff like this is just so fun

nice energy jax
    Just another Kiwi basking in the reflected glory of Steven Adams....bask bask...

Zion's career high is 36

He has 17 points in 11 minutes

Man I wish we had moved Bled. Oh well, NAW is looking good. He should be starting with Lonzo.

NAW continues to look great.

He's up to 6pts, 4asts, 3blks on 50% shooting

Thread Information