Pelicans Report

View Poll Results: Grade for 2021 Pels Trade Deadline Moves ?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • A+

0 0%
  • A

0 0%
  • A-

0 0%
  • B+

0 0%
  • B

5 14.71%
  • B-

7 20.59%
  • C+

7 20.59%
  • C

5 14.71%
  • C-

1 2.94%
  • D+

2 5.88%
  • D

4 11.76%
  • D-

0 0%
  • E+

1 2.94%
  • E

1 2.94%
  • E-

1 2.94%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Grading Pelicans 2021 Trade Deadline Moves

Quote Originally Posted by KoMikaera View Post
    In this scenario, which guy represents the Pels ?
    The table.
    Basketball.

Just another Kiwi basking in the reflected glory of Steven Adams....bask bask...

Grading in general for any sports is just a waste of time in drafting. It is unpredictable enough that grading gives the air of more prediction than fact and is fun for fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    This is, I feel, a very unreasonable response.

1) What was the market for Lonzo? I don't know, but it was almost certainly better than absolutely nothing which is the likeliest ''good'' option left on the table now.
    While I think they should have dealt him if a quality offer was made, do you make the deal if the best offered was similar to what the Heat traded for Oladipo?

Didn't realize we have so many Negative Nancies on this forum!
    1) you set a price for Lonzo. If it is not met you wait and see.
    2) You don't want to give away a first round pick just to move Bledsoe now so you keep him and hopefully do something in the offseason or next year (while at the end of the bench)
    3) You turned JJ into something rather than buying him out for nothing and you might have something in Wes Iwundu for the future cheap next year at a position of need and Johnson to add something to the frontcourt.
    Nancies are as bad as Karens!!!
    B-

Quote Originally Posted by DOMINION View Post
    Didn't realize we have so many Negative Nancies on this forum!
    1) you set a price for Lonzo. If it is not met you wait and see.
    2) You don't want to give away a first round pick just to move Bledsoe now so you keep him and hopefully do something in the offseason or next year (while at the end of the bench)
    3) You turned JJ into something rather than buying him out for nothing and you might have something in Wes Iwundu for the future cheap next year at a position of need and Johnson to add something to the frontcourt.
    Nancies are as bad as Karens!!!
    B-
    Setting a price for Lonzo in terms of what? Money? Assets?

As far as I know, we have no control over Lonzo anymore outside of matching an offer sheet
    Last edited by AusPel; 03-26-2021 at 09:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post

As far as I know, we have no control over Lonzo anymore outside of matching an offer sheet
    Exactly! Assets, picks if he was traded. We have no idea who will offer him what this summer is he going to chase a payday and play for Orlando, Detroit or Houston? we have the right to match any offer and possibly sign and trade him for something!

I won’t grade Griffin until I see what he does in his 2nd full “normal” offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post

I just hate the overcompensation of trying to "remain positive" and if you don't agree you are a negative nancy take. Lonzo being a side and trade option is going to be pretty difficult to pull off.

Also we have to factor in off season bias where most teams "like what they see " from their teams and believe they can make the playoffs. The trade deadline for the most part is when desperate teams usually pay more.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by DaFranchise80 View Post
    I won’t grade Griffin until I see what he does in his 2nd full “normal” offseason.
    Fair take.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    While I think they should have dealt him if a quality offer was made, do you make the deal if the best offered was similar to what the Heat traded for Oladipo?
    The Rockets got Avery Bradley, Kelly Olynyk, and a pick, right? In that case it's a little bit more sketchy, it depends on the pick since neither of those players is really positive value at this point.

While I see no reason to take his word for it, MM was in another thread saying that Duncan Robinson may have been on the table for Lonzo. If that was the case, then we absolutely should have pulled the trigger on that.

The Rockets got Avery Bradley, Kelly Olynyk, and a pick, right? In that case it's a little bit more sketchy, it depends on the pick since neither of those players is really positive value at this point.

While I see no reason to take his word for it, MM was in another thread saying that Duncan Robinson may have been on the table for Lonzo. If that was the case, then we absolutely should have pulled the trigger on that.
    They got Bradley, Olynyk and a 2022 pick swap (no picks). So they basically got nothing for Oladipo. I would not have given Ball away for that.

As for me, the maximum score is D. We didn't do anything big, we even weakened the team. Sometimes the lack of transfers is the best transfer, but this time we needed changes ... Serious, not cosmetic xd

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    if Johnson earns/gets any playing time to speak of, I guess we can still have a JJ if we want it....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Griffin on Ball:

"He's made it very clear personally, one to one, that he wants to be here," Griffin said. "Yet what you will read is, 'This is a player who doesn't want to be here. He's not in our plans. So you should trade him for a ham sandwich.' That doesn't make any sense when we know the actual, real story behind Lonzo Ball."

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Griffin on Ball:

"He's made it very clear personally, one to one, that he wants to be here," Griffin said. "Yet what you will read is, 'This is a player who doesn't want to be here. He's not in our plans. So you should trade him for a ham sandwich.' That doesn't make any sense when we know the actual, real story behind Lonzo Ball."
    I don't buy it. He's a hell of a salesman though. I believe his later statement saying something like, "no one is untouchable and if we could've found a deal that was beneficial to the team, we would've taken it." Read between the lines.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Griffin on Ball:

Griffin talks a lot but at this point he's done more talking than he's done actual improvement of the roster since the AD trade, so I'll continue to judge his moves based on the material reality and not the media spin he does after.

All I'll add is now the rational evaluation is most likely keeping Lonzo at a big number or using that cap space to sign someone who is a better fit--both financially and skill set wise (maybe like upcoming RFA Duncan Robinson!). Maybe a sign and trade presents itself as an option, but there are going to be several teams with big money available to make a run at Lonzo, making him prohibitively expensive if you opt to match, which might be the worst outcome of all...

At this point I think he could do a better Daniel Plainview than Daniel Day himself. The entire press conference I was waiting for him to transition into "I have a competition in me...." Very disappointed that didn't happen.

Griffin talks a lot but at this point he's done more talking than he's done actual improvement of the roster since the AD trade, so I'll continue to judge his moves based on the material reality and not the media spin he does after.
    This team is leaps and bounds better than last year. As proof, I'll refer you to your glut of Zionisms you have a propensity to post ad nauseum. And to your chagrin, I'm sure, BI has continued to improve and has proved you dead wrong. JAX and NAW are not Gentry's JAX and NAW by a longshot as they are contributing in the rotation....so there's improvement there. I still think its a bad fit, but there's little doubt that Adams is a vast improvement over Favors, plus we ended up maximizing Jrue's return. Kira is certainly an improvement over one of your all time hate players, Frank Jackson. no?

Wanna talk about Lonzo's shooting or defense?

Really, dae, your blanket claims are getting old and stale.
    Last edited by As I See It; 03-26-2021 at 06:59 PM.

All-Star
    I give the Pels a solid F.

Imo Trajan Langdon/David Griffin failed to make any significant changes to improve this flawed roster.

When you think about Optics. Its much better for Lonzo to leave this team due to being paid higher than we can afford, than to trade him for scraps just to say we got something. Lonzo is loved by all of his teammates. He is playing really well this year. Its better to finish out the season and make the playoff push. What message are you sending to the rest of the team to trade a guy who is playing well, liked and wants to be here for scraps? Not a good one at all.

If we don't resign Lonzo its because he got a Godfather offer that we couldn't afford and that would be understandable. We would still have cap space and a draft pick to add a couple players or 3. Maybe we can trade Bled and/or Adams.

I'm not really worried about finding a "3rd guy". I trust the development of Kira, NAW, Hayes to develop into really good players and great compliments to BI/Zion. Hart is fantastic. When you have 2 25+ ppg scorers do you really need a 3rd superstar? Especially one as great as Zion who likely will be leading the league in scoring for years to come once he develops a pull up jumpshot and continues to gain more experience. We just have to continue to build the team around those guys, we don't need 3 max players. We need depth.

We have Didi coming over next season who is looking promising. Our first rd pick this year. 4 2nds, where we may be able to combine to move up, or pick up some stash and dash international players. Our future is bright.

I for one loved the James Johnson pickup. He brings much needed versatility and toughness that this team was lacking a bit outside of Zion and Hart.

I would give it a B since we didn't move Bledsoe

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    When you think about Optics. Its much better for Lonzo to leave this team due to being paid higher than we can afford, than to trade him for scraps just to say we got something. Lonzo is loved by all of his teammates. He is playing really well this year. Its better to finish out the season and make the playoff push. What message are you sending to the rest of the team to trade a guy who is playing well, liked and wants to be here for scraps? Not a good one at all.

If we don't resign Lonzo its because he got a Godfather offer that we couldn't afford and that would be understandable. We would still have cap space and a draft pick to add a couple players or 3. Maybe we can trade Bled and/or Adams.

I'm not really worried about finding a "3rd guy". I trust the development of Kira, NAW, Hayes to develop into really good players and great compliments to BI/Zion. Hart is fantastic. When you have 2 25+ ppg scorers do you really need a 3rd superstar? Especially one as great as Zion who likely will be leading the league in scoring for years to come once he develops a pull up jumpshot and continues to gain more experience. We just have to continue to build the team around those guys, we don't need 3 max players. We need depth.

We have Didi coming over next season who is looking promising. Our first rd pick this year. 4 2nds, where we may be able to combine to move up, or pick up some stash and dash international players. Our future is bright.

I for one loved the James Johnson pickup. He brings much needed versatility and toughness that this team was lacking a bit outside of Zion and Hart.

You need to clone yourself and have them all join this board. It is sorely needed.

In general, I agree with you, but you shouldn't dismiss the importance of finding a "3rd guy". Guys like Lonzo, NAW, Kira and Hayes may (and I think probably) will develop, true. However, another team may have someone around Zion and BI's age who is already better than the highest ceiling of our guys. The Pels have the FRPs to make a trade at least possible. Though this scenario is unlikely (because it would be unlikely that another team would trade such a person), it is still possible and something for fans to speculate about. After all, we got Hart, Lonzo, BI and FRPs in a single trade.

That is a very good post. I also gave it a B

Thread Information